Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
islandmum
DIS Veteran

Expat Brits go barmy in the World ..... DAY 1

See our PTR for a little bit of info on who we are and what in gods name we've decided to do ... which pretty much all changed by the way as you will see!!

So the trip was supposed to be:

depart Sunday Oct 12th from our island to Miami.
Drive to the Keys and spend 2 days down there.
Then a few days in Miami, hook up for another 5 days with friends in Palm Beach,
One night in the Spongebob Nickleodeon hotel in Orlando followed by 7 nights in a villa, then fly Orlando to Barbados and stay for a few days at Sandy Lane.

This was the master plan until October 10th when it ALL changed!!!

First problem was that Amercan Airlines cancelled the first flight from our island to Miami. No problem - we'll just fly to Barbados a day early, stay over at a villa the business has and onto Miami early on the morning of the 12th. This was no problem and was arranged.

Then on the morning of departure DH decided he really didnt fancy the keys and wanted to spend his time in Miami and Palm Beach instead (BLOODY MEN!!!!!!!!!! ) but this was something I could rearrange and change hotels so I did so.

So off we set on a lovely early morning taxi pick up at our villa in Barbados of 3.45 am for a 7.30 flight ..... oh the wonders of a mid nightime get up with 2 young boys!

Check in with American was fine but all the shops were still closed so we sat there gasping for coffee and dying to eat anything they could provide. Eventually someopened and we scoffed down a couple of Roti's which satisfied the hunger pangs and boarded on time.

Now all English long haul traveller are spoiled (oh the joys of the Virgin Clubhouse are a distant memory with AmericanAirlines!) .... the wonderful American airlines and total crap in comaprison, no seat back TV's, no BLANKETS!!, no food service, even the naff little headphones are $3 to try and watch some screen 40 feet away up the cabin but it was only 4 hours so we sucked it up and enjoyed as best we could.

Landing in Miami was a great sight, clear blue skies, a little early as 11.15am and we were itching to get off and going. Miami is renowned as a terrible airport to get through with immigration and we were stood in the usual long lines for what seemed like forever but we were through in just under an hour. Luggage pick up was quick and we headed down to Alamo to pick up the car.

The desk was closed and we were directed to the bus to go out to the Alamo depot offsite which we did, in a bus which was so over-AC's there was condensation running down the windows and a busload of FREEZING people! As we got to the depot there was a HUGE line outside the building, at least 70 people and I prompty threw my toys out my little basket and had a hissy fit whilst getting off the bus that this was such a load of crap yadda yadda yadda ....... if only I'd noticed the sign that said this queue was for people catching the buses BACK to the airport after drop off ...... as it was we get into the office and its empty!

Very quickly we are processed, all papers are presented and we are assigned our car, which is very nice:

which if anyone wants to know size info for maybe their vacation, its a GMC Acadia, 7 seater SUV. With only 2 rows of seats it has a huge boot space but with 3 rows up its only got a couple of feet space in the boot if that. In comparison I drive a Toyota Land Cruiser Amazon and that comes in at about 3 feet longer. The next level up is the Suburban and thats more comparale to my car.

anyway, it comes with a built in DVD player so the kids are HAPPPYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

We drive off and programme the satnav for our hotel we always stay in in Miami - the Fairmont Turnberry Isle. It had a 100million $ refurb 18 months ago and its just gorgeous, a real treat in Miami. As usual it was fabulous, amazing staff, totally beautiful and a lovely base for the next 5 days. Here's the kids room, our room (interconnecting), the cabana which came with our reservation and the pool area :

the Miami stay is filled with relaxing, shopping and eating and we sadly bade farewell at the end of our stay and drive onto our friends condo in Palm Beach for the next part of the journey ....

Last edited by islandmum; 10-23-2008 at 10:13 PM.
islandmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

You're off to a roaring start. What a lovely hotel. I wanted to read your PTR but each time I tried to open it I got the page cannot be displayed message. Don't know if the trouble is on my end or the DIS's. I'll check another time and will be watching for the next installment.
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2008, 03:03 AM   #3
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Great start

I cant see your pics tho

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:59 AM   #4
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

Great start. The hotel looks lovely.

(I can see you pics. )

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:41 AM   #5
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

I was just thinking you must be back soon, I was waiting on your PreTR though

Your hotel looks gorgeous and the link in your siggie has one too many http's in it so that's why it doesn't work
DisneyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:32 AM   #6
Tammy Stringer
I love babies - all milky and baby powdery
Do you knit, Barbara?
Up for the marquee option

Wow your hotel in Miami looks stunning.

Tammy
Tammy Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
islandmum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJo View Post
I was just thinking you must be back soon, I was waiting on your PreTR though

Your hotel looks gorgeous and the link in your siggie has one too many http's in it so that's why it doesn't work
actually we're still here in Orlando but I had a quiet evening last night so thought I'd write it up! Our last park day is tomorrow and then we fly out on Monday to Barbados for the last couple of days. Its been a great trip .... and the shopping - OMG! dh just looks in horror every time a new bag comes back in through the door!
Old 10-24-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
islandmum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy Stringer View Post
Wow your hotel in Miami looks stunning.

Tammy
it is a fantastic hotel, our favourite in Miami. Just beautiful and the nicest thing is that the rooms are really big too. And its next door to the Aventura Mall which is not a bad thing!
Old 10-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
islandmum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanEllen View Post
You're off to a roaring start. What a lovely hotel. I wanted to read your PTR but each time I tried to open it I got the page cannot be displayed message. Don't know if the trouble is on my end or the DIS's. I'll check another time and will be watching for the next installment.
I think I've fixed it now .... but who knows! I am crap at computers!! have a go ....
Old 10-25-2008, 06:20 AM   #10
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

fab hotel
Old 10-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #11
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmum View Post
actually we're still here in Orlando but I had a quiet evening last night so thought I'd write it up! Our last park day is tomorrow and then we fly out on Monday to Barbados for the last couple of days. Its been a great trip .... and the shopping - OMG! dh just looks in horror every time a new bag comes back in through the door!
Hope you had a lovely last day and get some pampering in at Sandy Lane

Oh and when you get back you need to tell us about everything you bought
DisneyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:49 AM   #12
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmum View Post
I think I've fixed it now .... but who knows! I am crap at computers!! have a go ....
Yes, that fixed it. See there, you're getting good at this computer stuff.

I was pleased to read in your PTR that, though you're staying at the Polynesian this trip, the Wilderness Lodge (my favorite) still holds a place in your heart as you planned a return to the Whispering Canyon Cafe (calling it your favorite).

After reading your pre-trip I'm really looking forward to the rest of your reports.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #13
KayleeUK
Still here.....

Nice hotel
Old 11-09-2008, 03:59 AM   #14
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

the hotel looks amazing, worth a trip to miami.

susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #15
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Great start, hotel looks fab

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: