Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2008, 08:37 AM   #31
Andrew DEREK UK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd99 View Post
Thanks Andrew. Great tip. Everyone talks about how far the port is from Florence. How long of a ride is it?
My Private vehicle traveling above the speed limit did it in 1 hour 15, I think you should allow 1.5 hours.

Pisa is on a triangle of freeways getting back so breaks up the journey. Do book the tower in advance on-line the kids loved this. We did it around 3.30pm and told our Private tour operator.
Andrew DEREK UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #32
xangav
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xangav
I hope this will help as I don't know what age your kids are. Our children were DD 10 and DS 15. It was rather port intensive but they enjoyed the trip very much. We actually enjoyed the all day excursions as they fed us well and we enjoyed sampling the local cuisine.

In Naples we did an all day tour through DCL starting with a bus ride to Sorrento and a tourist shop. At first we weren't too pleased at being sent to buy souvenirs but it turned out to be educational as we learned about the process of inlaid wood. We then went to a farm where they produced their own olive oil, mozarella, and lemoncello, After a delicious lunch we headed to Pompeii which was amazing. It was, however very hot and quite crowded and not stroller friendly.

Although the 2010 med cruise is not going to Olbia, I scheduled a beach day there because it was midway through the cruise and I thought it would be a nice break from all the sight seeing. It worked quite nicely.

In Civitavecchia we did another all day excursion on the Roma Express which was a private train that got us to Rome in what seemed like no time at all. It was extremely hot but we made it to the Colliseum, bypassing the lines. We also walked through the streets to the Trevi Fountain and then the Pantheon. We did a bit more walking to the Piazza Navona before we took the bus to our lunch destination. After being well fed we went to the Vatican and St. Peter's square and the Basillica. Our kids were quite tired after all this but there was one toddler who seemed miserable most of the day.

In La Spezia because I figured we would be kind of burned out we went for a half day excursion to Pisa and we were glad we did. It was just enough for the day. My husband and I would have liked to have gone to Florence but it was a long bus ride and didn't think any of us were up to it. Plus, we wanted to see Pisa.

And, finally, in Villefranche, we decided to split up. Because the excursions didn't seem to satisfy everyone, my dd and I went to a perfumerie and the amazing village of Eze while the boys went to Monte Carlo to see the prince's car collection. It was only a half day and everyone agreed that it was well spent.

As I said, I hope this helps and we enjoyed our trip of a lifetime immensely!

Thank you for finding my now hidden post! This is greatly helpful.
Today 01:30 PM
You are very welcome. And I agree that the posts shouldn't be "hidden". It's like a maze trying to find the info you want as is. Good Luck!

1996 Big Red Boat
2002-Magic Eastern Carib
2004-Magic Western Carib,
2005-Magic Westbound PC Repo
2007-Magic11 day Med

2008-RCI Rhapsody Alaska
2009-RCI Freedom of the Seas

2010-Norwegian Epic Inaugural Transatlantic, Southhampton-New York
2011-DCL Dream 4 day
xangav is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #33
Melcatfish
In full planning mode!
Just one more victim of a drive-by tag attack

Is there anyone out there who did the Med with small children? My DD's will be 5 & 2 and a half...

Mel
x
Melcatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #34
grumpymakesmehappy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcatfish View Post
Is there anyone out there who did the Med with small children? My DD's will be 5 & 2 and a half...

Mel
x
I've asked this same question, and from what I've been told it's mostly adults. We will have a little one that should be 18 months by the time of the Sept. Med that we want to book. We're going to go ahead and give it a try.
grumpymakesmehappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:26 PM   #35
Andrew DEREK UK
DIS Veteran

I would say min age for any kid is 4 for the Med, but only parents know their own kids,

There is a lot to do, lots of very long days and it can be hard for kids, the Med trip I was on had lots of Children say 5 upwards on it.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #36
CACruisin'
If she can do this, so can I!
I gotta get out of "lurkdom" more!
Has more light bulbs than a Home Depot!

It will really depend on the parents/kids. Remember that Europe is not "stroller friendly" at all so children will need to walk or be carried ( or stay on the ship).

Disney Magic Transatlantic: May 2007 Disney Wonder: March 2007
Disney Magic to Mexico: June 2005
WDW for 1st anniversary: March 1991 & 17th anniversary: March 2007
Disneyland: lotsa times since 1972
Disneyland 5K: September 2007, August 2008
CACruisin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #37
Andrew DEREK UK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CACruisin' View Post
It will really depend on the parents/kids. Remember that Europe is not "stroller friendly" at all so children will need to walk or be carried ( or stay on the ship).
It is also very hot and the sun isnt good for babies/todlers skin, imho.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #38
jd99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew DEREK UK View Post
I would say min age for any kid is 4 for the Med, but only parents know their own kids,

There is a lot to do, lots of very long days and it can be hard for kids, the Med trip I was on had lots of Children say 5 upwards on it.
Ours will be nearly 6 and nearly 12 on the trip so we think it will be perfect. Don't want to wait too long for the oldest but wanted to wait until the youngest could handle it. Tough when you have such a wide age range in kids
: Upcoming: BC August 22 Past: Magic Med July 14, Dream Jan. 14, Fantasy Nov. 13, GF and Fantasy Aug 2013, DD Dancing at Disney June 13, Spring Break at AKV: Aulani at Christmas, Fantasy Nov.3,Dream June 2011, DCL Med 2010 & 2011, DCL 3 night April 09, DCL Western Aug. 06, Nov. 08, 09, 10, DCL Eastern Nov. 06, 07, 11, DCL Mex Riviera Aug08/YC (x3), BCV (x6), Poly (x3), GF Concierge (x5), BC Concierge, YC Concierge, DL, PO, VWL, SSR, AKV, BLT (x3), Offsite (x3) Disneyland (too many times to count)
jd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #39
Andrew DEREK UK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd99 View Post
Ours will be nearly 6 and nearly 12 on the trip so we think it will be perfect. Don't want to wait too long for the oldest but wanted to wait until the youngest could handle it. Tough when you have such a wide age range in kids
That should be great and very educational for both,
Old 10-13-2008, 07:22 PM   #40
CRSNDSNY

DVC Member
I think I need to go to confession

Quote:

Mel
x
I was hoping to find some information for those who took this age range as well. Mine would be 3 1/2 and 5 1/2 for the TransAtlantic cruise. I am mostly worried about the flight. They have some trouble with their flight from PA to FL!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:58 PM   #41
CACruisin'
If she can do this, so can I!
I gotta get out of "lurkdom" more!
Has more light bulbs than a Home Depot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRSNDSNY View Post
I was hoping to find some information for those who took this age range as well. Mine would be 3 1/2 and 5 1/2 for the TransAtlantic cruise. I am mostly worried about the flight. They have some trouble with their flight from PA to FL!!!
We did the EB TA in 2007 DD was a month shy of 4. She did ok on the flights. I thought she would sleep, but . Instead she watched hours and hours of french cartoons (Air France flight with personal entertainment set ups). She did final crash on our last leg from Houston to LAX. She had trouble with the descents (Sp?), but I knew that would be a problem. I gave her motrin, sudafed and Afrin (per pediatrician's instructions) and that helped a bit. She had been treated on the ship for an ear infection, but I could tell it was still there. I called DH from Spain (he was home in the States - had to work ) and he contacted the pediatrician and made us an appointment for the day after our return. Turns out she had double ear infections and a sinus infection.

She loved the cruise, but was often asleep at dinner (and awake again at 1am!) The time changes were brutal for us from the west coast. After she was on the antibiotics from the ship doctor, she was allowed to go to the club. She did some things with the club, but I kept her with me a lot because I wanted her to take it easy.

Disney Magic Transatlantic: May 2007 Disney Wonder: March 2007
Disney Magic to Mexico: June 2005
WDW for 1st anniversary: March 1991 & 17th anniversary: March 2007
Disneyland: lotsa times since 1972
Disneyland 5K: September 2007, August 2008
CACruisin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #42
grizbuzz
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Mel
x
We did the Med cruise with DS4 and DS2. We had a great time! We had a "less is more" philosophy when it came to excursions and only did 2 DCL tours. For more details, see my trip report:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1489149

I say it's definitely doable. A much different trip than for those families with older children, but still a very fun one.

Me DH DS (9) DS (7)
grizbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:47 AM   #43
CRSNDSNY

DVC Member
I think I need to go to confession

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about the double ear infection!
Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I have a request in with a TA for a price so perhaps the cruise cost will help me decide one way or the other.

How long was your flight total?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CACruisin' View Post
We did the EB TA in 2007 DD was a month shy of 4. She did ok on the flights. I thought she would sleep, but . Instead she watched hours and hours of french cartoons (Air France flight with personal entertainment set ups). She did final crash on our last leg from Houston to LAX. She had trouble with the descents (Sp?), but I knew that would be a problem. I gave her motrin, sudafed and Afrin (per pediatrician's instructions) and that helped a bit. She had been treated on the ship for an ear infection, but I could tell it was still there. I called DH from Spain (he was home in the States - had to work ) and he contacted the pediatrician and made us an appointment for the day after our return. Turns out she had double ear infections and a sinus infection.

She loved the cruise, but was often asleep at dinner (and awake again at 1am!) The time changes were brutal for us from the west coast. After she was on the antibiotics from the ship doctor, she was allowed to go to the club. She did some things with the club, but I kept her with me a lot because I wanted her to take it easy.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #44
Ruth B
I may ask for Springs
This year we are doing a adventure day

Hello all,
i'm going to be doing the 8 day Dover to Barcelona cruise in July 2010 with my 2 son's.( 15 y/o and a 2 and a half!).
Were there any excrusion that the older children could go on alone?( like at castaway cay.) i really hope there is as, being relistic the 2 1/2 y/o will only be able to deal with short/child friendly actvities.
Did anyone here do any trips in Cadiz or Gibrator?
Ruth
Ruth B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:41 PM   #45
BoosGram
Better than a candygram....I tink, therefore I am.

As another DISer who has signed up for one of the 2010 special cruises, I want to send Moderator lbgraves a HUGE THANK YOU for compiling those TRs.

And thank you to all of the wonderful DISers who are kind enough to share their experiences!

BoosGram is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: