Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #16
grizbuzz
DIS Veteran
 
grizbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcatfish View Post
Andrew, just wondering what people disliked so much about Capri, I had a holiday there as a child and loved it. We took a trip into the Blue Grotto and enjoyed mooching round the town and found it to be pretty and a really nice destination...

I have been to Pompeii twice and my kids are too little to be interested in that so IF we go with the Med instead of the Baltic I thought we might take the ferry over to Capri and spend some time there.

I would love to hear your thoughts and any cons I might not have taken into account.

Mel
x

People didn't like Capri? We loved it! We took a ferry over and spent the day in town. Thought it was just beautiful. We went over early and noticed as we were leaving the island that the masses were just arriving (lots and lots of tour groups). I would definitely go back.

Here are our pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Grinold/Capri#
__________________
If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

Me DH DS (9) DS (7)
grizbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:43 AM   #17
Andrew DEREK UK
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 29,122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcatfish View Post
Andrew, just wondering what people disliked so much about Capri, I had a holiday there as a child and loved it. We took a trip into the Blue Grotto and enjoyed mooching round the town and found it to be pretty and a really nice destination...

I have been to Pompeii twice and my kids are too little to be interested in that so IF we go with the Med instead of the Baltic I thought we might take the ferry over to Capri and spend some time there.

I would love to hear your thoughts and any cons I might not have taken into account.

Mel
x
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizbuzz View Post
People didn't like Capri? We loved it! We took a ferry over and spent the day in town. Thought it was just beautiful. We went over early and noticed as we were leaving the island that the masses were just arriving (lots and lots of tour groups). I would definitely go back.

Here are our pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Grinold/Capri#
Previous to the cruise I stayed in Sorrento for two weeks and on one day had a trip to Capri, we went over on small boats that bumped in the water and didnt have good restroom facilities.

After a choppy trip you went are crowded into a hill train and then around small crowded lanes of shops the island itself is very small.

So I didnt like it and posted so on the old 28th July thread for 07, some still went but a lot told me after on ship and by posts later that they wished they had taken my advice, some we met in Sorrento in the afternoon and had just been there and came back early to Sorrento and met up with us.
Andrew DEREK UK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #18
jd99
DIS Veteran
 
jd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 6,133

Med with Kids Trip Reports

Anyone who did the med last time with kids - AND did a trip report? I'd love to see it. Mostly I'm interested in any kid friendly excursions. At the announcement they showed some video of what looked like "Adventures by Disney" types of excursions - I saw a pizza making or some such thing -- and I'm curious as to if Disney does these in some of the Med Ports. Would love to have a mix of history and fun for the kids. Anyone?
__________________

Upcoming: Turkey Day Fantasy/ Past: GF and Fantasy Aug 2013, DD Dancing at Disney June 13, Spring Break at AKV: Aulani at Christmas, Fantasy Nov.3,Dream June 2011, DCL Med 2010 & 2011, DCL 3 night April 09, DCL Western Aug. 06, Nov. 08, 09, 10, DCL Eastern Nov. 06, 07, 11, DCL Mex Riviera Aug08/YC (x2), BCV (x6), Poly (x3), GF Concierge (x5), BC Concierge, YC Concierge, DL, PO, VWL, SSR, AKV, BLT (x3), Offsite (x3) Disneyland (too many times to count)
jd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #19
Melcatfish
In full planning mode!
Just one more victim of a drive-by tag attack
 
Melcatfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Essex
Posts: 1,746

I am also very interested in what the more child orientated excursions were like.

Mel
x
Melcatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #20
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran
 
OurDogCisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: 2,905 miles away from WDW
Posts: 3,934

Truthfully, we did not do any of the kid-friendly tours. My kids had a blast. In fact we met another family onboard and most of our days were spent with them. My kids were 6 and 9 at the time of the cruise.

I did try and mix up our tours with half day tours and full day tours. The adults sitting at the table next to us did mostly all day tours so, they saw more than we did. With 4 sea days this time in Baltics I'm gonna aim for all day tours just because I thought they were more valuable.

I think, with Adventures by Disney they would have to have kid friendly tours in order to keep the kids happy. Where on DCL you don't have to do them as you return to the ship every evening.

My kids LOVED Pompeii, PISA, Rome & Villefranche Ports. They weren't too excited about some of the half day tours we did were we visited churches, etc... Florence was boring as it was a VERY long bus ride for them and the guide we had WAS HORRIBLE. She did not allow anyone to speak because she felt it was rude to talk while she was talking. We had to focus on her the whole trip. She wouldn't let people skip lunch to tour on their own. All the other tour guides were very FLEXIBLE. Like for our ROME tour it did not include the Steps (I can't think of the name of it). Anyways... many of us left at one point when the tour guide told us to and took a cab to the steps and fountains and then, met everyone for lunch. Lunches were 2 to 3 hours long so, it was pretty easy to do a quick tour of something.

DCL also provided each evening a little booklet about the next port. So, the kids could read about it every evening.
OurDogCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:25 PM   #21
jd99
DIS Veteran
 
jd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 6,133

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDogCisco View Post
Truthfully, we did not do any of the kid-friendly tours. My kids had a blast. In fact we met another family onboard and most of our days were spent with them. My kids were 6 and 9 at the time of the cruise.

I did try and mix up our tours with half day tours and full day tours. The adults sitting at the table next to us did mostly all day tours so, they saw more than we did. With 4 sea days this time in Baltics I'm gonna aim for all day tours just because I thought they were more valuable.

I think, with Adventures by Disney they would have to have kid friendly tours in order to keep the kids happy. Where on DCL you don't have to do them as you return to the ship every evening.

My kids LOVED Pompeii, PISA, Rome & Villefranche Ports. They weren't too excited about some of the half day tours we did were we visited churches, etc... Florence was boring as it was a VERY long bus ride for them and the guide we had WAS HORRIBLE. She did not allow anyone to speak because she felt it was rude to talk while she was talking. We had to focus on her the whole trip. She wouldn't let people skip lunch to tour on their own. All the other tour guides were very FLEXIBLE. Like for our ROME tour it did not include the Steps (I can't think of the name of it). Anyways... many of us left at one point when the tour guide told us to and took a cab to the steps and fountains and then, met everyone for lunch. Lunches were 2 to 3 hours long so, it was pretty easy to do a quick tour of something.

DCL also provided each evening a little booklet about the next port. So, the kids could read about it every evening.

Thanks! I know that the Adventures by Disney is a different animal but if you watched the announcment by Tom Halpin of the itineraries, some of the video they showed - I SWEAR it was right out of the A by Disney video so I thought maybe they did some similar excursions on the Med Cruise.

I keep reading bad experiences by people who went to Florence. But Florence is where my late mother's family is from and I've never been there so I absolutely must see the city. I'm hoping to find someone somewhere (so far nothing on the trip reports I have read) who enjoyed their time in Florence.
__________________

Upcoming: Turkey Day Fantasy/ Past: GF and Fantasy Aug 2013, DD Dancing at Disney June 13, Spring Break at AKV: Aulani at Christmas, Fantasy Nov.3,Dream June 2011, DCL Med 2010 & 2011, DCL 3 night April 09, DCL Western Aug. 06, Nov. 08, 09, 10, DCL Eastern Nov. 06, 07, 11, DCL Mex Riviera Aug08/YC (x2), BCV (x6), Poly (x3), GF Concierge (x5), BC Concierge, YC Concierge, DL, PO, VWL, SSR, AKV, BLT (x3), Offsite (x3) Disneyland (too many times to count)
jd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:25 PM   #22
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran
 
OurDogCisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: 2,905 miles away from WDW
Posts: 3,934

I found my old tour excursion booklet from the Meditteranean. Here are what I thought were Kid friendly tours. I didn't see any that were similar as the ones by Adventures of Disney. But I'm sure this time around they would know more about the places to do more kid friendly ones.

Barcelona
Aquarium and Park Guell
Science Museum and Maze
Chocolate Museum (mold your own chocolate confection)
Barcelona Bicycle Tour

Palermo--We had the best Ice Tea/Lemonade drink here. YUMMY..

Palermo for kids (included a Sicilian puppet show & Arts and Crafts
A Day on the Farm -- tour of working farm & swimming pool & tour a cave
Beach Day

Naples

Pompeii, Sorrento & Capri for Families (we didn't do this tour as we thought it was too many places in one day. I heard that on the Pompeii part they didn't show some areas because kids might be senstive to it)

Beach Day

Sardinia

Gnocchetti Sardi & Ravioli (making pasta-- I wish we did this one as the island was pretty boring)

Train to Gallura (very popular)

2 Beach locations here

Lots of other cool things to do in the port but they had age limits. YOu had to be 10 and older.

ROME

Narnia tour

La Spezia

Lucca Treasure Hunt -- Scavenger hunt
Lucca by Bike (ages 10 + though)
Lerici's Castle and Dinosaurs
Beach excursion
Genoa, Aquarium & Chocolate Factory

Marseille

Soap & Marseille City (soap making)

VilleFranche

Monaco, the Marina & the Little Train
Create your Own Perfume
Beach day

HOpe this helps...
OurDogCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #23
jd99
DIS Veteran
 
jd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 6,133

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDogCisco View Post
I found my old tour excursion booklet from the Meditteranean. Here are what I thought were Kid friendly tours. I didn't see any that were similar as the ones by Adventures of Disney. But I'm sure this time around they would know more about the places to do more kid friendly ones.

Barcelona
Aquarium and Park Guell
Science Museum and Maze
Chocolate Museum (mold your own chocolate confection)
Barcelona Bicycle Tour

Palermo--We had the best Ice Tea/Lemonade drink here. YUMMY..

Palermo for kids (included a Sicilian puppet show & Arts and Crafts
A Day on the Farm -- tour of working farm & swimming pool & tour a cave
Beach Day

Naples

Pompeii, Sorrento & Capri for Families (we didn't do this tour as we thought it was too many places in one day. I heard that on the Pompeii part they didn't show some areas because kids might be senstive to it)

Beach Day

Sardinia

Gnocchetti Sardi & Ravioli (making pasta-- I wish we did this one as the island was pretty boring)

Train to Gallura (very popular)

2 Beach locations here

Lots of other cool things to do in the port but they had age limits. YOu had to be 10 and older.

ROME

Narnia tour

La Spezia

Lucca Treasure Hunt -- Scavenger hunt
Lucca by Bike (ages 10 + though)
Lerici's Castle and Dinosaurs
Beach excursion
Genoa, Aquarium & Chocolate Factory

Marseille

Soap & Marseille City (soap making)

VilleFranche

Monaco, the Marina & the Little Train
Create your Own Perfume
Beach day

HOpe this helps...

Definitely helps. THank you . Not sure why the Mods keep insisting on hiding specific questions like mine in threads that have nothing to do with what I asked (my question is not related to transatlantic) but I thank you for finding me!
__________________

Upcoming: Turkey Day Fantasy/ Past: GF and Fantasy Aug 2013, DD Dancing at Disney June 13, Spring Break at AKV: Aulani at Christmas, Fantasy Nov.3,Dream June 2011, DCL Med 2010 & 2011, DCL 3 night April 09, DCL Western Aug. 06, Nov. 08, 09, 10, DCL Eastern Nov. 06, 07, 11, DCL Mex Riviera Aug08/YC (x2), BCV (x6), Poly (x3), GF Concierge (x5), BC Concierge, YC Concierge, DL, PO, VWL, SSR, AKV, BLT (x3), Offsite (x3) Disneyland (too many times to count)
jd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:55 PM   #24
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!
 
lbgraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 47,995

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd99 View Post
Definitely helps. THank you . Not sure why the Mods keep insisting on hiding specific questions like mine in threads that have nothing to do with what I asked (my question is not related to transatlantic) but I thank you for finding me!
Your thread was merged with this one because you were inquiring about trip reports and excursions from the summer of 2006 when the Magic was in the Med. This thread has a list of links to ALL of the trip reports from that time, not just the transatlantic. There is also a lot of information given on excursions that were available for those cruises, which would assist you with your initial question. I have added "& Med 2006" to the title to show that it is all inclusive.
__________________
Lisa

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013


DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August
Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #25
xangav
Mouseketeer
 
xangav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Issaquah, Washington
Posts: 361

I hope this will help as I don't know what age your kids are. Our children were DD 10 and DS 15. It was rather port intensive but they enjoyed the trip very much. We actually enjoyed the all day excursions as they fed us well and we enjoyed sampling the local cuisine.

In Naples we did an all day tour through DCL starting with a bus ride to Sorrento and a tourist shop. At first we weren't too pleased at being sent to buy souvenirs but it turned out to be educational as we learned about the process of inlaid wood. We then went to a farm where they produced their own olive oil, mozarella, and lemoncello, After a delicious lunch we headed to Pompeii which was amazing. It was, however very hot and quite crowded and not stroller friendly.

Although the 2010 med cruise is not going to Olbia, I scheduled a beach day there because it was midway through the cruise and I thought it would be a nice break from all the sight seeing. It worked quite nicely.

In Civitavecchia we did another all day excursion on the Roma Express which was a private train that got us to Rome in what seemed like no time at all. It was extremely hot but we made it to the Colliseum, bypassing the lines. We also walked through the streets to the Trevi Fountain and then the Pantheon. We did a bit more walking to the Piazza Navona before we took the bus to our lunch destination. After being well fed we went to the Vatican and St. Peter's square and the Basillica. Our kids were quite tired after all this but there was one toddler who seemed miserable most of the day.

In La Spezia because I figured we would be kind of burned out we went for a half day excursion to Pisa and we were glad we did. It was just enough for the day. My husband and I would have liked to have gone to Florence but it was a long bus ride and didn't think any of us were up to it. Plus, we wanted to see Pisa.

And, finally, in Villefranche, we decided to split up. Because the excursions didn't seem to satisfy everyone, my dd and I went to a perfumerie and the amazing village of Eze while the boys went to Monte Carlo to see the prince's car collection. It was only a half day and everyone agreed that it was well spent.

As I said, I hope this helps and we enjoyed our trip of a lifetime immensely!
__________________
Sandi

1996 Big Red Boat
2002-Magic Eastern Carib
2004-Magic Western Carib,
2005-Magic Westbound PC Repo
2007-Magic11 day Med

2008-RCI Rhapsody Alaska
2009-RCI Freedom of the Seas

2010-Norwegian Epic Inaugural Transatlantic, Southhampton-New York
2011-DCL Dream 4 day
xangav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:10 AM   #26
Andrew DEREK UK
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 29,122

With kids I would recommend private tours as per my post on page one, you can tailor this to their kids build in breaks, if you want to move on faster/slower you can and the driver often knows the place to stop for a restroom.

Rome Naples and Florence/Piza in particular are places you should consider a private tour, and the cost might not be to far away from DCL tours for a familiy of 4, we share with another familiy and it was great value.
Andrew DEREK UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:52 AM   #27
Andrew DEREK UK
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 29,122

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRSNDSNY View Post
Can anyone who has been on DCL's Transatlantic cruise before post a link to their blog and/or trip report?

Photos, too, would probably be helpful.

THANKS!


Could thread name be amended to the correct year of 2007

Might confuse!!!
Andrew DEREK UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:30 AM   #28
jd99
DIS Veteran
 
jd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 6,133

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
Your thread was merged with this one because you were inquiring about trip reports and excursions from the summer of 2006 when the Magic was in the Med. This thread has a list of links to ALL of the trip reports from that time, not just the transatlantic. There is also a lot of information given on excursions that were available for those cruises, which would assist you with your initial question. I have added "& Med 2006" to the title to show that it is all inclusive.
Considering the Magic was in the Med in 2007, that's not very helpful .
__________________

Upcoming: Turkey Day Fantasy/ Past: GF and Fantasy Aug 2013, DD Dancing at Disney June 13, Spring Break at AKV: Aulani at Christmas, Fantasy Nov.3,Dream June 2011, DCL Med 2010 & 2011, DCL 3 night April 09, DCL Western Aug. 06, Nov. 08, 09, 10, DCL Eastern Nov. 06, 07, 11, DCL Mex Riviera Aug08/YC (x2), BCV (x6), Poly (x3), GF Concierge (x5), BC Concierge, YC Concierge, DL, PO, VWL, SSR, AKV, BLT (x3), Offsite (x3) Disneyland (too many times to count)
jd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:30 AM   #29
jd99
DIS Veteran
 
jd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 6,133

Quote:
Originally Posted by xangav View Post
I hope this will help as I don't know what age your kids are. Our children were DD 10 and DS 15. It was rather port intensive but they enjoyed the trip very much. We actually enjoyed the all day excursions as they fed us well and we enjoyed sampling the local cuisine.

In Naples we did an all day tour through DCL starting with a bus ride to Sorrento and a tourist shop. At first we weren't too pleased at being sent to buy souvenirs but it turned out to be educational as we learned about the process of inlaid wood. We then went to a farm where they produced their own olive oil, mozarella, and lemoncello, After a delicious lunch we headed to Pompeii which was amazing. It was, however very hot and quite crowded and not stroller friendly.

Although the 2010 med cruise is not going to Olbia, I scheduled a beach day there because it was midway through the cruise and I thought it would be a nice break from all the sight seeing. It worked quite nicely.

In Civitavecchia we did another all day excursion on the Roma Express which was a private train that got us to Rome in what seemed like no time at all. It was extremely hot but we made it to the Colliseum, bypassing the lines. We also walked through the streets to the Trevi Fountain and then the Pantheon. We did a bit more walking to the Piazza Navona before we took the bus to our lunch destination. After being well fed we went to the Vatican and St. Peter's square and the Basillica. Our kids were quite tired after all this but there was one toddler who seemed miserable most of the day.

In La Spezia because I figured we would be kind of burned out we went for a half day excursion to Pisa and we were glad we did. It was just enough for the day. My husband and I would have liked to have gone to Florence but it was a long bus ride and didn't think any of us were up to it. Plus, we wanted to see Pisa.

And, finally, in Villefranche, we decided to split up. Because the excursions didn't seem to satisfy everyone, my dd and I went to a perfumerie and the amazing village of Eze while the boys went to Monte Carlo to see the prince's car collection. It was only a half day and everyone agreed that it was well spent.

As I said, I hope this helps and we enjoyed our trip of a lifetime immensely!
Thank you for finding my now hidden post! This is greatly helpful.
__________________

Upcoming: Turkey Day Fantasy/ Past: GF and Fantasy Aug 2013, DD Dancing at Disney June 13, Spring Break at AKV: Aulani at Christmas, Fantasy Nov.3,Dream June 2011, DCL Med 2010 & 2011, DCL 3 night April 09, DCL Western Aug. 06, Nov. 08, 09, 10, DCL Eastern Nov. 06, 07, 11, DCL Mex Riviera Aug08/YC (x2), BCV (x6), Poly (x3), GF Concierge (x5), BC Concierge, YC Concierge, DL, PO, VWL, SSR, AKV, BLT (x3), Offsite (x3) Disneyland (too many times to count)
jd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:31 AM   #30
jd99
DIS Veteran
 
jd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 6,133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew DEREK UK View Post
With kids I would recommend private tours as per my post on page one, you can tailor this to their kids build in breaks, if you want to move on faster/slower you can and the driver often knows the place to stop for a restroom.

Rome Naples and Florence/Piza in particular are places you should consider a private tour, and the cost might not be to far away from DCL tours for a familiy of 4, we share with another familiy and it was great value.
Thanks Andrew. Great tip. Everyone talks about how far the port is from Florence. How long of a ride is it?
__________________

Upcoming: Turkey Day Fantasy/ Past: GF and Fantasy Aug 2013, DD Dancing at Disney June 13, Spring Break at AKV: Aulani at Christmas, Fantasy Nov.3,Dream June 2011, DCL Med 2010 & 2011, DCL 3 night April 09, DCL Western Aug. 06, Nov. 08, 09, 10, DCL Eastern Nov. 06, 07, 11, DCL Mex Riviera Aug08/YC (x2), BCV (x6), Poly (x3), GF Concierge (x5), BC Concierge, YC Concierge, DL, PO, VWL, SSR, AKV, BLT (x3), Offsite (x3) Disneyland (too many times to count)
jd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: