Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Resort Community Threads & Photo-Video
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2008, 10:33 AM   #91
Dr_Finkelstein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFreak06 View Post
WOW! I'm happy you were able to fix a trip. Scary about your travel firm. That's a fear of mine. I book Disney on my own, but I'd love to get to Europe sometime and I'd probably want help with that one. Please do take pictures of POFQ for me! I'm going in December, but only for 2 days, and I'm really enjoying the pictures everyone is posting!

kaffinito Thanks for the great pics!
Hi DisneyFreak 06,
DH is planning on stalking the grounds of the resort with his camera....he'll probably get arrested. But hopefully he'll have got some photos before hand.
It's been pretty hairy over here lately, there's been a few travel companies that have gone bust. We're now going with Virgin, I think if you stick to the 'big' companies you should be ok.
Di x

1999 offsite, 2004 offsite, 2006 POP, 2008 POFQ, 2010 WL & OKW
Dr_Finkelstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:48 AM   #92
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher
Can't stay awake at night for the "hen parties"

Quote:
Originally Posted by marypopfan View Post
If anyone is going soon I would love to see pictures of the menus in the foodcourt to see what they have to eat. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNO4TE View Post
Have you checked out Deb Wills' pages? http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm

There are also menus from the restaurants right here on our own DIS!
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by marypopfan View Post
Thanks, I looked at those but they haven't been updated since 2007. I was looking for some new ones to see if anything has changed.
Looks like the ones on the DIS are from this month! http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dinin...taurant.ID=178

"Music... this is the favorite passion of my soul." ~ Thomas Jefferson
‎"Good wine is a necessity of life for me" ~ Thomas Jefferson

In memory of June. 09/04/06. "Keep the board going for me while I'm gone..."
PNO4TE is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #93
marypopfan
DIS Veteran

Oh great!!! The last time I looked a couple of weeks ago it was from 2007. Thanks!!
Allstar Sports/Caribe Royale/POP Century June-July 08
POFQ Feb 06
POP Century Mar 05
Polynesian Dec 02
Allstar Movies Feb 01
Allstar Music Nov 97
marypopfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #94
aggiegirl1234
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Here are a few from our Christmas 2004 trip.

PNO4TE, does POFQ hang Christmas wreathes on all the doors or did ya'll bring your own?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #95
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiegirl1234 View Post
PNO4TE, does POFQ hang Christmas wreathes on all the doors or did ya'll bring your own?
We always bring our own wreaths and Christmas trees. And, because I have two daughters who are just as persnickety as I am, we theme them for the resort where we are staying. Same trees every year, different decorations! Mardi Gras beads, gold ribbon with purple/green/red polka dots, and multicolored glass balls were perfect for POFQ!

Old 10-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #96
Smileybug

I would hate to have missed your fine example of "good Pooh" and "bad poo"
The changes just make me giggle

Quote:
We always bring our own wreaths and Christmas trees. And, because I have two daughters who are just as persnickety as I am, we theme them for the resort where we are staying. Same trees every year, different decorations! Mardi Gras beads, gold ribbon with purple/green/red polka dots, and multicolored glass balls were perfect for POFQ!

I do love the idea of the wreath on the door. We will be there Dec. 14th. Can't wait!!
They know me in a way no one ever has...They open me to things I never knew existed...They drive me to insanity and push me to my depts...They are the beat of my heart, the pulse of my veins, and the energy in my soul.....They are my kids.
Every good and perfect gift comes from above....James 1:17
Smileybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:44 AM   #97
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileybug View Post
I do love the idea of the wreath on the door. We will be there Dec. 14th. Can't wait!!
We pack up the Christmas decorations over Thanksgiving vacation and about 10 days before our trip is to begin I ship them to our resort so they are there waiting for us. If you decide to do a wreath, remember the over-the-door wreath hangar!

Old 10-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #98
Smileybug

I would hate to have missed your fine example of "good Pooh" and "bad poo"
The changes just make me giggle

Quote:
We pack up the Christmas decorations over Thanksgiving vacation and about 10 days before our trip is to begin I ship them to our resort so they are there waiting for us. If you decide to do a wreath, remember the over-the-door wreath hangar!

Thank you so much for this tip!!

This will be our first stay at this resort. From all the pictures we have seen we are really looking forward to it. I know everyone talks about the decorations at the Deluxe resorts. But...Oh my goodness it looks like the POFQ has been terribly overlooked.
They know me in a way no one ever has...They open me to things I never knew existed...They drive me to insanity and push me to my depts...They are the beat of my heart, the pulse of my veins, and the energy in my soul.....They are my kids.
Every good and perfect gift comes from above....James 1:17
Smileybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #99
Mickey's Sister
DIS Veteran

Hi POFQ Experts!

I have several questions about this resort:

1) Do they 'pipe in' music along the walkways like they do in some other resorts? If so, is it jazz?

2) I heard that Scat Cat Club offers jazz music some evenings - is this true? And if so, does this lounge welcome kids like POR's RiverRoost does? The reason I ask, is that my 14 year old is an avid jazz musician & would dearly love to hear some jazz during our trip, He's 14 & very mature. He has wanted to visit the Scat Cat anyway to see the jazz memorabilia.

3) The buildings that were formerly smoking buildings - can you still smell the smoke? I'm extremely allergic & even if there's a tiny hint of smoke residue I'll end up sick. Just want to be pro-active in requesting a building, if we decide to stay here.

I'm really torn right now & would welcome advice. My sister & I with my son & niece planned to go to Disney next month & have reservations at POR. Sadly my brother-in-law's mom passed away suddenly, so obviously my sister doesn't want to leave him alone next month (MIL lived with them) so we are switching our reservations to June. My sister already switched hers & they gave her a very good rate at POFQ (I think due to the death in the family, though no one explained anything). Anyway, I don't want for her to miss out on the great rate & we want to be in the same resort. But I had my heart set on POR. I love it & have always wanted to stay there. I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone who has knowledge of the 2 places. I know POFQ has excellent ratings, but I don't know much about it. For some reason, it just didn't move me the way POR did. I realize they share facilities, but... HELP!

Sorry to ramble on...thanks!!!

"It's time to remember the magic!"

11/2000 - Chez Mickey; 4 - 5/2002 FW Cabins; 11/2003 Off-site; 11-12/2005 ASMU; 6/2009 Doubletree Suites DTD for SWW! ...but ALWAYS there in spirit!
Mickey's Sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:00 PM   #100
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey's Sister View Post
1) Do they 'pipe in' music along the walkways like they do in some other resorts? If so, is it jazz?

Yes and yes - but it's a relatively short loop so you won't get a lot of variety. It sets the scene very nicely though.

2) I heard that Scat Cat Club offers jazz music some evenings - is this true? And if so, does this lounge welcome kids like POR's RiverRoost does?

Yes they do, there's a sax player called Elliot Dyson who plays Wed-Sat evenings. Meant to be very good saxophonist, poignant and rocking vocalist, bluesy guitar player with some steel drums added to the mix. He has a web site giving more information on his shows at www.elliotdyson.com. Kids are welcome at both POR and POFQ lounges (but then you know about Yeeha Bob already).

3) The buildings that were formerly smoking buildings - can you still smell the smoke?

No, they have been non smoking for some time now and were deep cleaned anyway. You may still find an odd few inconsiderate people smoking around the resort, even though there are designated smoking spots.
As you say, you can share all the facilities anyway, so whichever resort you end up in you can experience the entertainment at the other - it's a ten minute walk, so no problem in popping back and forth. Both resorts are great (and the music at POR is good too, same general idea).

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 10-06-2008 at 06:13 PM.
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #101
Mickey's Sister
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
As you say, you can share all the facilities anyway, so whichever resort you end up in you can experience the entertainment at the other - it's a ten minute walk, so no problem in popping back and forth. Both resorts are great (and the music at POR is good too, same general idea).

Andre
Thanks Andre - for your reply here and for all your hard work on your 'Unofficial Port Orleans Website'. I visit there frequently and truly appreciate your efforts!

"It's time to remember the magic!"

11/2000 - Chez Mickey; 4 - 5/2002 FW Cabins; 11/2003 Off-site; 11-12/2005 ASMU; 6/2009 Doubletree Suites DTD for SWW! ...but ALWAYS there in spirit!
Mickey's Sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #102
DisneyGirlie
DIS Veteran

Subscribing to this thread! Even though I just returned home from WDW last week, we might be returning for a shorter trip in December. If we do, POFQ is probably the resort we would choose. Thank you everyone for the pictures! The Christmas decorations are gorgeous.
1994-2004 Off-site * Spring 2005 Caribbean Beach- Martinique * Spring 2006 All-Star Movies- Fantasia * Nov. 18- Nov. 24 2006 Pop Century- '50s * March 2nd-7th 2007 Pop Century- '80s * Oct. 12- Oct. 17th 2007 Pop Century- '60s * Feb. 2- Feb. 8th 2008 Polynesian- Hawaii*Sept. 27th-Oct. 3rd 2008 Grand Floridian- Boca Chica*Dec. 13- Dec 17th 2008 Port Orleans Riverside- Oak Manor*May 16- May 23rd 2009 Beach Club Resort*Aug. 10-Aug. 13th 2009 Pop Century- '50s.*Dec. 10- Dec. 13th 2009 Yacht Club Resort*March 6-10th 2010 Contemporary MK View*July 31st- Aug 7th 2010 Contemporary MK View
October 27-October 30 2010 Pop Century*Animal Kingdom Lodge- Dec. 11-16th 2010*June 8th-13th 2011 Coronado Springs- Cabanas.* Fall Advantage College Program 6/11-1/12*Boardwalk Inn August 2012*October 2012 All-Star Sports*January 2013 Port Orleans French Quarter*1/21/13-8/13 Spring Advantage College Program
DisneyGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:40 PM   #103
WriteDisney
DIS Veteran

Finally got a chance to get my pics online from our trip Sept 25-Oct 4 at Port Orleans French Quarter.. we were in Building 6 with a Waterview.. I have tons and tons so I'll just try and put in the better ones..

WriteDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #104
WriteDisney
DIS Veteran

Old 10-13-2008, 02:43 PM   #105
WriteDisney
DIS Veteran

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: