Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2008, 08:04 AM   #91
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

An update on that much reviled design-your-own t-shirt shop that Orlando Attractions said would be part of the new PI. Turns out it's not going in anywhere near the Island. Instead, it will be a new building on the far end of the Marketplace, near Art of Disney and the Christmas Shop.

So T-Rexx, the balloon, the t-shirt shop...none of the things WDW mentioned with the closing of PI will actually replace it. It was all just a smokescreen.

[Not 100% on this, but apparently the new shop will replace something--the fountain splash zone. In other words, say good-bye to one of the few free, family-friendly spots left in DTD. Waiting for the Disney Defenders to come on and justify this move now.]
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:20 AM   #92
rpmdfw
I feel similarly about the cha-cha, electric slide, and mambo #5
Bridezilla, Groomzilla and Gayzilla all rolled into one

So, it's kind of like Charlier Brown trick-or-treating isn't it?

"I got a candy bar, what did you get?"

"I got a rock"

I found it quite amusing that last night the Adventurers Club hit capacity before 9:30pm and then the managers stood there at the door looking at the line stretching all the way down to the Harley store and couldn't figure out why nobody was leaving the club so that they could let more people in.

Well, DUH! Nobody was leaving because this is why we come to Downtown Disney!

Yeah. What we really want is shopping and dining. Idiots.

This is going to go down in history as one of the worst business decision of all time. Possibly worse than "New Coke".
rpmdfw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #93
AdventurerKat
Cries in her Jello shots
Adventurers Club Addict
Thinks she is invisible to the Tag Fairy, but she's not!

So the grand new plans for Pleasure Island are happening at the Marketplace.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:36 AM   #94
Scurvy
Kungaloosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmdfw View Post

This is going to go down in history as one of the worst business decision of all time. Possibly worse than "New Coke".
You know, there are some people who believe that New Coke was never intended to succeed. Instead, the Coca Cola company wanted to switch from cane sugar to corn syrup in the recipe but knew that people would notice, so they first switched to New Coke, which they knew people would dislike. So when they bowed to public pressure and gave the people what they wanted - Coke Classic - no one noticed that it didn't taste the same as real Coke had.

I have to wonder if Disney going to do something similar. Take all of PI away, and then later when they bring back a pale shadow of it elsewhere people will be happy about it instead of complaining about the changes.

Someone at guest services actually tried to tell me the other day that the only reason the Adventurers Club was crowded was because it was closing. I admitted that the heavier than usual crowds were probably due in part to the many Club fans who planned last minute trip to go back to the Club one last time. She didn't have response when I told her the heavy crowds were probably also due to the fact that the Adventurers Club is finally getting publicity for the first time in years. Even though many visitors lately are longtime fans, I've still met a surprising number of first time visitors there who never knew until recently that the Club wasn't just a themed bar.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:09 AM   #95
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmdfw View Post
Yeah. What we really want is shopping and dining. Idiots.

A-FRICKIN-MEN!

Btw how bout that tshirt you were making?
Year of shattered dreams
I went to PI and all I got was this lousy t-shirt(shop)

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:14 AM   #96
rpmdfw
I feel similarly about the cha-cha, electric slide, and mambo #5
Bridezilla, Groomzilla and Gayzilla all rolled into one

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulemara View Post
A-FRICKIN-MEN!

Btw how bout that tshirt you were making?
Year of shattered dreams
I went to PI and all I got was this lousy t-shirt(shop)
Somebody on the AC yahoo group beat me to it and made a similar shirt. It didn't look good, so I decided to just say it a whole lot, and not wear it on clothing.
rpmdfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #97
Maistre Gracey
Still trying to figure out the mystery of the 'Downy Ball' and the Tag Fairies??!!
Kevin Bacon looks just like me<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
An update on that much reviled design-your-own t-shirt shop that Orlando Attractions said would be part of the new PI. Turns out it's not going in anywhere near the Island. Instead, it will be a new building on the far end of the Marketplace, near Art of Disney and the Christmas Shop.

So T-Rexx, the balloon, the t-shirt shop...none of the things WDW mentioned with the closing of PI will actually replace it. It was all just a smokescreen.

[Not 100% on this, but apparently the new shop will replace something--the fountain splash zone. In other words, say good-bye to one of the few free, family-friendly spots left in DTD. Waiting for the Disney Defenders to come on and justify this move now.]
This could be a good thing...

Although I was really, really excited for the t-shirt shop.

MG

Maistre Gracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #98
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

So with the t-shirt store now being placed in the Marketplace side, the only thing announced so far about PI itself is the Central/South American restaurant which in the evening is going to be a Central/South American nightclub. What else could they possibly stick on PI that is going to be new and exciting? There is a tremendouos amount of space on PI to fill up.

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:33 PM   #99
Luv2Roam
Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

Well, and to me that is not even new and exciting. I have heard it compared to at least three different type clubs/restaurants including the Samba Club, which really is not all that far from DTD. Maybe 15 minutes away.
So how would it be unique and different if it can be compared to various other clubs?
If I wanted the Samba Room, that's where I would go.

Last edited by Luv2Roam; 09-24-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Luv2Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #100
Maistre Gracey
Still trying to figure out the mystery of the 'Downy Ball' and the Tag Fairies??!!
Kevin Bacon looks just like me<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Roam View Post
Well, and to me that is not even new and exciting. I have heard it compared to at least three different type clubs/restaurants including the Sambo Club, which really is not all that far from DTD. Maybe 15 minutes away.
So how would it be unique and different if it can be compared to various other clubs?
If I wanted the Sambo Room, that's where I would go.
I'm in total shock that anyone would give that name to a club.

MG

Maistre Gracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #101
Luv2Roam

I never even thought of that. Could be I misspelling and it's Sombo. Maybe Somba.
SAMBA!! I will correct my post. Sorry! (Obvious I am not into dancing... )
Old 09-24-2008, 07:48 PM   #102
Luv2Roam

Saturday night we were at AC at the 6 p.m. opening.
We stayed and then went to CR to watch the pyrotechnics display. Did not make it back to PI just after 10:30, and timed it perfect to get in CW.
Afterwards had no issues at all getting back into AC, where we stayed to the end.
Friends arrived at PI just less than a half hour ago and confirmed there is no handicap entrance on the lower level at CW. And the line to AC was incredibly long. (But consider the club had not yet opened, and was right before opening at 8:00.)
Should be an interesting night to see how the crowds are, even for mid week.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:04 PM   #103
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

I sent an email to just about every exec that could be involved in this decision. I know it does no good, but it makes me feel better.

Universal looks better every day....

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:40 PM   #104
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Mannequins on Thursday night was the most crowded I have EVER seen it. Around midnight the dance floor stopped revolving; don't know if it broke from the sheer weight of everyone on it or if they simply stopped it so that it wouldn't break. Entry is on the near side of the building and requires climbing the side stairs up to the second floor. Haven't seen that in 10 years. Re-entry is the same line. Capacity was reached around midnight and no one else could go in until people left.

Hip Kitty was looking good! Quite a few people standing around listening plus those in line for Mannequins got to listen during the wait.

PI closing getting media attention locally on the various newcasts.

2 nights to go. Such a shame!

BobK/Orlando

Last edited by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH; 09-26-2008 at 04:50 PM.
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:39 PM   #105
JudithM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulemara View Post
I sent an email to just about every exec that could be involved in this decision. I know it does no good, but it makes me feel better.
I talked to many CMs over the last few nights of PI being open. A few CMs mentioned Disney management is waiting to read feedback from guests. The CMs said Disney management knows there is a lot online, but they want to see who will actually take the time to write a letter. Who knows?
JudithM is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: