Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #16
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrerMom View Post
SWM

it is very sad....
when i heard recently that GM is possibly teetering on the brink of bankruptcy i nearly had heart failure....
growing up, GM to me was everything....
Old 09-20-2008, 01:43 PM   #17
#1hockeymom
Wants to DRIVE the zamboni

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrerMom View Post
SWM

I've lived on this side of the state WAYYY too long! I saw SWM and couldn't figure out why Brermom had "single white male" in her post when I knew for a fact she was a married female! (Yes, I now know its south west Michigan. See what living too close to Detroit will do for you? Even when you live in the sticks you think Detroit/SE Michigan controls all!) LOL

He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
#1hockeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #18
#1hockeymom
Wants to DRIVE the zamboni

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
it is very sad....
when i heard recently that GM is possibly teetering on the brink of bankruptcy i nearly had heart failure....
growing up, GM to me was everything....
I had the same feeling about a month ago. I grew up Ford. Spent my younger years in Westland but was always in Dearborn or going through Dearborn. Living way up here I'm in GM land with a subtle big three mix. A month ago I spent the weekend in Dearborn and seeing all the Fords made me smile!

I've said this every day. Please don't let the Big Three die. We helped win a war! We need domestic production to continue!

He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
#1hockeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #19
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1hockeymom View Post

I've said this every day. Please don't let the Big Three die. We helped win a war! We need domestic production to continue!
Amen!!!
Old 09-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #20
Geoff_M
DIS Veteran, DVC Member, "Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc"

Quote:
how could a state, that's economically #50 in the union reelect a failed governor?...
just wondering...
Well, part of the problem was that the GOP pick was Dick DeVos. Even though I'm not a Granholm fan, I left the Governor section of my ballot blank last time. The DeVos and Van Andel families run Amway, and I have some VERY BIG personal problems with that company.

I'm glad Kwame finally saw the writting on the wall and copped a plea. I actually liked the guy, after hearing him make the best motivational speech I'd ever heard to about 500 high-schoolers, when he first was elected. But his personality seemed to do a 180 when he was elected as 'Da Mayor.

"Cry 'Havoc', and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... Out-a da crease... In-a da crease... Out-a da crease!!!!"

"Way, way back many centuries ago... Not long after the Bible began..."
Geoff_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #21
travelbug
DIS Veteran

Anyone have any thoughts/predictions on what will eventually happen to Christine Beatty?
2005 - Feb.-BCV & POFQ; Mar.-BWV & SSR
2006 - Feb.-BWV & ASMo; Apr.-BCV; Nov.-BCV
2007 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Grand Cayman (DVC pts.)
2008 - Jan.-BCV; Dec.-BWV; 2009 - Apr.-SSR
2010 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Cabo San Lucas (DVC pts.), Dec.-BWV
2012 - Feb.-AKV; Apr.-BWV; Dec.-BWV & BCV
2013 - June-Aulani; 2014 - Jan.-BWV
2015 - Jan.-BCV & BWV
travelbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:11 PM   #22
Geoff_M

She'll be found guilty...

Old 09-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #23
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_M View Post
Well, part of the problem was that the GOP pick was Dick DeVos. Even though I'm not a Granholm fan, I left the Governor section of my ballot blank last time. The DeVos and Van Andel families run Amway, and I have some VERY BIG personal problems with that company.

I'm glad Kwame finally saw the writting on the wall and copped a plea. I actually liked the guy, after hearing him make the best motivational speech I'd ever heard to about 500 high-schoolers, when he first was elected. But his personality seemed to do a 180 when he was elected as 'Da Mayor.

being a nice guy or a good speaker doesn't mean someone can run a city (or a country for that matter)......

as for devos - i don't know anything about him....(I don't live or vote in michigan anymore)....
it just sort of makes logical sense that if a state is worse off then when a governor started, you wouldn't want to vote for her for another term of office....
and granholm by the way, is a very very very very nice person....i've met her on several occasions.....she's very charming and seems very bright....but being nice, charming and bright doesn't necessarily mean she knows what to do...

although in all honesty, i don't know if anyone would be able to help michigan....but she certainly wasn't able to in her first term....
Old 09-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #24
SeeVee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Amen!!!
Tell the unions to stop pricing the cars out of the market.
SeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:20 PM   #25
wardfamily1

What in the heck does this mean?The only thing I didn't like was the toilet paper situation. I'm sure I'd manage just fine though

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
...On a more pleasant subject, anyone going to one of the cider mills this weekend? I'm laid up long term with an injury and can't drive myself anywhere, so I'll live vicariously through anyone doing anything fun in Michigan this weekend!!
I'm hoping to ride out to Romeo next weekend and hit a cider mill out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
Anyone have any thoughts/predictions on what will eventually happen to Christine Beatty?
I think she should have taken the plea deal. I think she is going to be found guilty and she will do time, much more time than KK is doing now.

As for DeVos, I heard him on the radio yesterday that he said he will run for Governer again. I met the man, even marched with him in the Romeo Peach Festival parade back in 2006. From what I researched, he seems like a smart business man and I think that's what MI needs to get out of this recession.

This question if for Goeff_M (or anyone else who can answer): What's the issue with Amway? I don't know much about them, and I never bought an amway product. I know a lot of people over in the Ionia area that work for Amway and haven't heard anything bad from them. The only thing I ever heard were people saying "Amway...pyramid scheme...." and never elaborated on it. I always thought people sell it just like tupperware or Avon.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #26
travelbug
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardfamily1 View Post
I think she should have taken the plea deal.
I agree. My impression is that she's getting some bad advice from her lawyers who don't think she deserves any jail time. I think she'll live to regret turning down the plea deal. Not that I feel at all sorry for her. I can still picture her rolling her eyes and snapping her answers as she lied on the witness stand.
2005 - Feb.-BCV & POFQ; Mar.-BWV & SSR
2006 - Feb.-BWV & ASMo; Apr.-BCV; Nov.-BCV
2007 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Grand Cayman (DVC pts.)
2008 - Jan.-BCV; Dec.-BWV; 2009 - Apr.-SSR
2010 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Cabo San Lucas (DVC pts.), Dec.-BWV
2012 - Feb.-AKV; Apr.-BWV; Dec.-BWV & BCV
2013 - June-Aulani; 2014 - Jan.-BWV
2015 - Jan.-BCV & BWV
travelbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:43 PM   #27
BrerMom

My hero, zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1hockeymom View Post
I've lived on this side of the state WAYYY too long! I saw SWM and couldn't figure out why Brermom had "single white male" in her post when I knew for a fact she was a married female! (Yes, I now know its south west Michigan. See what living too close to Detroit will do for you? Even when you live in the sticks you think Detroit/SE Michigan controls all!) LOL

I write so many checks to SWM (fill in the blank with the name of the group), it's not even funny. I thought on a Michigan thread I could abbreviate, but I'd never made the connection to single white male!

Everybody's got the right to be different even though at times they go to extremes.
Aim for what you want a lot - Everybody gets a shot. Everybody's got a right to their dreams...

Everybody's got the right to some sunshine Not the sun but maybe one of its beams. One of its beams.
Rich man, poor man, black or white, pick your apple, take a bite,
Everybody just hold tight to your dreams. Everybody's got the right to their dreams...
BrerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #28
Geoff_M

Quote:
being a nice guy or a good speaker doesn't mean someone can run a city (or a country for that matter)......
It wasn't how he said it, it was what he said that impressed me. It's incredibly ironic now, but the topic of his speech was personal responsibility and the duty that we have to others. Knowing that a Republican's chances in Detroit is about that of snowball's in Hades, Kilpatrick seemed like about the best person you could hope for under the circumstances.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #29
MeghansMommy
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone - chiming in from just south of Traverse City here though I grew up in the Detroit area.

I also nearly had a heart attack when I heard GM was in so much trouble. I grew up Chrysler (and in fact, worked for them for a while) where DH grew up GM. It's sad when you think your Dad and FIL may not have a pension in a few years - God willing that won't happen.

We don't hear much about KK up here, but my parents keep me updated. Glad to see he's out. I haven't heard much about the new Mayor - is he temporary? He'll only serve until this November or is it next November? Where is he from (obviously Detroit, but I want to know more about him).

It's a beautiful day here up north.

Snowed by #1hockeymom and mfd25wife Shiny Balled by #1hockeymom
Randy laid there like a slug. It was his only defense.
MeghansMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:50 PM   #30
hrh_disney_queen
My DH has the hots for Stacey
Momma wuvs her little kitty-kitty, oh yes she does, oh, yes she does
I knew what he was before I touched him, just never thought they could MOVE that fast

Quote:
former michigander here - family still lives in bloomfields hills..

OMG, this is me! I am originally from Trenton, but my DILs are in Bloomfield Hills. DSIL in Novi and the other is in Northville! My DBIL lives off of Lahser in Bloomfield Hills, My DMIL, too.

I was up there a couple of days ago, it sure has gotten interesting in Detroit. Who would have thought there was a mayor that could make Coleman Young look good??

I left in 1985.

"There's such a thing as good grief. Just ask Charlie Brown." Michael Scott..................Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
hrh_disney_queen is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: