Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #1
wardfamily1

What in the heck does this mean?The only thing I didn't like was the toilet paper situation. I'm sure I'd manage just fine though

Everything Michigan....

I've noticed lately that there are a lot of Michiganders and Michigeese on the DIS. This is a place to talk about all things Michigan. The economy, Detroit, Kwame, Granholm, Favorite Places, etc...

If you plan on attending the DIS meet, pm me or post to the thread and I will add you to the list.

DIS Meet at Great Lakes Crossing Food Court
November 15th, 2008 - 10am

wardfamily1
Ricky's Girl
MidgeD79
Lars624
Kimmielee
JanDave
annie1995
iluvdisney

Last edited by wardfamily1; 10-22-2008 at 11:04 AM.
wardfamily1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:48 PM   #2
wardfamily1

What in the heck does this mean?The only thing I didn't like was the toilet paper situation. I'm sure I'd manage just fine though

The new temp mayor Ken Cockrel--I hope he does as much as possible in his short time as mayor to straighten up Detroit.

I can't believe all the money they are going to waste with 2 primaries and 2 elections over the next 13 1/2 months. They should let Cockrel stay in that position until next November, they'd save $3million in a city that is already in a $50+ million deficit. And to put Monica Conyers in charge of the Council!?!?

I hope Freeman Hendricks runs again, I'd like to see him win.

Last edited by wardfamily1; 09-19-2008 at 07:14 PM.
wardfamily1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
wardfamily1

Bump for the morning crew....
Old 09-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
Lars624
Riddle Goddess
LOVES Cookie Monster
Those aren't typos, I'm bilingual.....
In all truth I'm quite DIS-organized

I live in Brighton, MI....this thread is a great idea
Old 09-20-2008, 08:18 AM   #5
I love OKW
Earning My Ears

Dave Bing has decided to run for mayor. A very classy guy.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
wardfamily1

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love OKW View Post
Dave Bing has decided to run for mayor. A very classy guy.

I just looked that up, here is some background (for those like me who didn't know who he is) on him from the freep:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...OL10/807110399

By looking at that article, he's already proven he can run a business, maybe he could shape up Detroit too.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:46 AM   #7
Lil Lil
DIS Veteran

Anothor Michigander checking in.

Glad KK is out of office! Looking at the news this morning DH and I already said Ken Cockrel has made some good decisions apointing new police chief & deputy Mayor thus far. Now we need to get Monica Conyers out. She is a MESS! I'm sure she is on pins & needles due to the Synagro scandle.
Lil Lil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:55 AM   #8
MickeyCrazedMom
DIS Veteran

Another Michigander here! I love this state but boy is it a mess!!! The houses in my sub are selling for less than I paid 9 years ago. Alot less!

And everytime I go to MSNBC Detroit is on there - and it is never good.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
SRICE100
Mouseketeer

Hello All,

A proud Michigander as well! We work in Novi, kids go to school in Farmington Hills.

I would love to see the housing market get a little better so we could move closer and reduce our daily commute. No luck right now, I am not willing to give away my house at this point. Houses in my sub are hardly moving. But I am just grateful that my husband has tenure and my company is fairly stable (knock on wood).

It is a beautiful day, though. DS has a soccer game and then we are going to an apple orchard in South Lyon.
SRICE100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:44 AM   #10
travelbug
DIS Veteran

Good morning to my fellow Michiganders. It's a beautiful day here, isn't it?

I'm so glad Kwame is finally out of office. What a long nightmare that was! I think that Ken Cockrel will inspire people's confidence, especially in these early days of transition. I'm really glad there's a new police chief too!

I hope Monica Conyers can manage to control herself. Some of her outbursts have been jaw-dropping to say the least.

On a more pleasant subject, anyone going to one of the cider mills this weekend? I'm laid up long term with an injury and can't drive myself anywhere, so I'll live vicariously through anyone doing anything fun in Michigan this weekend!!
2005 - Feb.-BCV & POFQ; Mar.-BWV & SSR
2006 - Feb.-BWV & ASMo; Apr.-BCV; Nov.-BCV
2007 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Grand Cayman (DVC pts.)
2008 - Jan.-BCV; Dec.-BWV; 2009 - Apr.-SSR
2010 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Cabo San Lucas (DVC pts.), Dec.-BWV
2012 - Feb.-AKV; Apr.-BWV; Dec.-BWV & BCV
2013 - June-Aulani; 2014 - Jan.-BWV
2015 - Jan.-BCV & BWV
travelbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:56 AM   #11
Pinnie
Working a Dream Job
DVC Member: Beach Club Villas
"Shut up, smile and wear beige"

Another resident of SE lower MI checking in here. It was quite dishearting this summer during my travels to see KK and our area on the national news. Hopefully, things will get better, but alas it is going to take a long time.

So many people are out of work, so many businesses have outsourced. Housing sales are stagnent. But, like someone said, it IS a gorgeous day and we can rejoice in that.

pinnie
Old 09-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #12
loco4dis
DIS Veteran

Also in SE Michigan.

Cockrel's OK, but it'll take him about 25 seconds to become as utterly corrupt as Kwame was, as corrupt as Coleman Young was. I am a bit heartened by his comment that the Detroit Police Department is simply corrupt, from top to bottom, but what is he going to do about it? Every single Detroit city office is filled with inept, hapless, corrupt bureaucrats. There just isn't anyone there who is NOT corrupt. No person with professional integrity would apply for a job in the City of Detroit. That's just the simple truth. There is just no way to cleanse that city government — or its schools, for that matter — of the corrupt criminals who have been entrenched there for 40 years. No way at all to do it.

I mean, if Cockrel wants to be radical, he'll fire every city agency administrative staff member on Monday morning. Every. Single. One. And then let them reapply for their jobs. If they have one scintilla of corruption in their tenure, tell them not even to bother re-applying. To the others, explain that there are new rules, and that they'll be fired immediately if there is even an appearance of corruption related to them. If they balk, fire 'em. Think he has the guts to do that?

Sorry, but Detroit is toast. It's been toast for a long, long time.

The good news is that McCain is within 1 point in Michigan, signaling that the out-state voters are getting as sick and tired of corrupt democrats as I've been for a long, long time.

http://www.pollster.com/blogs/mi_oba...3_epicmra9.php
loco4dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:20 AM   #13
#1hockeymom
Wants to DRIVE the zamboni

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco4dis View Post
Also in SE Michigan.

Cockrel's OK, but it'll take him about 25 seconds to become as utterly corrupt as Kwame was, as corrupt as Coleman Young was. I am a bit heartened by his comment that the Detroit Police Department is simply corrupt, from top to bottom, but what is he going to do about it? Every single Detroit city office is filled with inept, hapless, corrupt bureaucrats. There just isn't anyone there who is NOT corrupt. No person with professional integrity would apply for a job in the City of Detroit. That's just the simple truth. There is just no way to cleanse that city government — or its schools, for that matter — of the corrupt criminals who have been entrenched there for 40 years. No way at all to do it.

I mean, if Cockrel wants to be radical, he'll fire every city agency administrative staff member on Monday morning. Every. Single. One. And then let them reapply for their jobs. If they have one scintilla of corruption in their tenure, tell them not even to bother re-applying. To the others, explain that there are new rules, and that they'll be fired immediately if there is even an appearance of corruption related to them. If they balk, fire 'em. Think he has the guts to do that?

Sorry, but Detroit is toast. It's been toast for a long, long time.

The good news is that McCain is within 1 point in Michigan, signaling that the out-state voters are getting as sick and tired of corrupt democrats as I've been for a long, long time.

http://www.pollster.com/blogs/mi_oba...3_epicmra9.php
Great idea! I wonder if he'll have the guts to do it. I really wish they'd save the city money and let him have the job until November.

I can't for the life of me figure out why the state hasn't taken over Detroit.

On another note... I sure hope Granholm is enjoying her vacation in Japan. It doesn't seem like anything ever comes out of these ventures.

He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
#1hockeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #14
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

former michigander here - family still lives in bloomfields hills..

how could a state, that's economically #50 in the union reelect a failed governor?...
just wondering...

i hadn't heard that cockrell is mayor....detroit has nowhere to go but up - or one would hope..
maybe the new mayor will succeed in turning things around...
i don't know anything about the new mayor other than he had an extraordinary father....a man i greatly admired in my youth...

a problem for detroit, several of the greatest detroit area philanthropists have recently died (or are on the verge of death)....kind of tough for the mayor to turn things around when he doesn't have that kind of financial backing...
Old 09-20-2008, 12:09 PM   #15
BrerMom

My hero, zero

SWM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
former michigander here - family still lives in bloomfields hills..

how could a state, that's economically #50 in the union reelect a failed governor?...
just wondering...

i hadn't heard that cockrell is mayor....detroit has nowhere to go but up - or one would hope..
maybe the new mayor will succeed in turning things around...
i don't know anything about the new mayor other than he had an extraordinary father....a man i greatly admired in my youth...

a problem for detroit, several of the greatest detroit area philanthropists have recently died (or are on the verge of death)....kind of tough for the mayor to turn things around when he doesn't have that kind of financial backing...

Everybody's got the right to be different even though at times they go to extremes.
Aim for what you want a lot - Everybody gets a shot. Everybody's got a right to their dreams...

Everybody's got the right to some sunshine Not the sun but maybe one of its beams. One of its beams.
Rich man, poor man, black or white, pick your apple, take a bite,
Everybody just hold tight to your dreams. Everybody's got the right to their dreams...
BrerMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: