Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2008, 04:40 AM   #16
torsie24
Or I could call it the postalabration
Now I know to wear flip flops!
Got engaged on a trip to Disneyland Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danauk View Post
The cocktail bar is opposite the restaurant, it is called Cafe Fantasia. It does not have a view of the park, but does have a lovely view of Fantasia gardens.
Awesome, thank's I think I shall be calling in there a few times.

WDW: 1994-I Drive / 2009-AKL / 2011-Disney Wedding -AKL-GF RPC-BW-BLT
DLRP 1997-HNY / 2000-SL / 2008-SL / 2009-DLH / 2012-HNY
DLR: 2005-Day Trip
torsie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:59 PM   #17
Inkmahm
Disney nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danauk View Post
The California Grill at Paris is nothing like the California Grill at WDW, however they are both lovely restaurants but for different reasons. I couldn't choose which one I prefer as they are both really good. Have a great meal there tonight.
You are correct. I greatly prefer the Florida version but the two people with me who had been to neither before tonight really loved the Paris version. My steak here was okay, but not great as it always is in Florida. Prices here about double, too, when translated to dollars. I would go again because it is a nice restaurant. But I didn't fall in love with it as I love California Grill in Florida.

p.s. I've already learned not to ask Disneyland CMs for directions. Right outside the Disneyland hotel, I asked one how to get to the California Grill. He told me to go back to the Disney Village. I told him it was IN the Disneyland hotel. He asked another CM and came back to tell me it was in the New York hotel. I knew he was wrong so I went into the Disneyland Hotel and found it myself.

Inkmahm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #18
ukstitch
I'm not sure I'm quite your average, typical male
I think I need to eat some humble pie
I've got a few hours of DIS chatting ahead of me tonight

We ate here on the Tuesday evening of our trip in July and really enjoyed the meal we had, even if it was quite an expensive meal.

The set menus contained different choices to the a la carte menu, so it's worth making sure that you read all the options when making your choice.

We had a table booked for 8:00 and were shown to a table almost straight away. The restaurant was fairly quiet and we were given a table very close to the window, which provided an really good view out of the Disneyland Park, through which we were able to sit and watch the sun set over Disneyland Paris on our final night.

The service was of a noticeably high standard compared to some of the other restaurants, as was the presentation of the food on the plates.

I had the melon and ham, with lemon jelly, breadsticks and basil sorbet to start. The basil sorbet was nicer than it may sound and the cold of the sorbet went really well with the ham:

Step-dad had the eggs, although we didn't take a picture of these.

For our mains, mum had the lobster, which came complete with a pair of crackers for eating the claws with:

I had the Chicken and Chorizzo skewer:

Finally, step dad had the steak (again, no picture of this)

Unusually for us, we also had a dessert each. Mum had the Raspberries with Pistachio Ice cream, on a small bed of pistachios:

Step-dad had the chocolate orange creme brulee:

Finally, I had the pineapple ravioli which is wafer thin slices of pineapple with some mango mousse between them and a scoop of pineapple and basil sorbet (again nicer than it sounds):

We enjoyed all the courses that we had and would certainly consider going back again at some point. There was a reasonable selection to choose from which I'm told changes fairly often to use seasonal ingredients, but hopefully this gives an idea of the level of food available.

The California Grill is not likely to be for everybody, as the food is quite "posh" and the price is fairly high, but I'd certainly recommend it as a welcome change and as a special meal. I can see it becoming quite adult orientated as the evening goes on, but DB is a fidget and we didn't really feel out of place eating when we did.

Personally I'd recommend the California Grill, although this is dependent upon your budget and your liking of some of the slightly more unusual (yet enjoyable) combinations used.

If you're unsure, then it might be worth going up to the restaurant entrance and taking a look at the current menu, then booking a table for nearer the end of your stay. We booked well in advance, so I don't know if it becomes fully booked in advance like some restaurants (e.g. the Tea Party).

Facebook | Flickr | 500px

ukstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:07 PM   #19
Bolanette87
The Queen Bee
I change my mind more often than my knickers
You have made this little dipstick very happy today!

YAY!!!! FOOD REVIEW FOOD REVIEW!!!!!!!

Looks FANTASTIC Rob!!! One question, courtesy of the other half: What came with the Chicken and Chorizo Skewer?

The Pineapple Ravoli looks amazing!!! Sounds to me like you have a thing for Basil Sorbets though!!!

Bob xoxoxoxox
Old 09-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #20
ukstitch
I'm not sure I'm quite your average, typical male
I think I need to eat some humble pie
I've got a few hours of DIS chatting ahead of me tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolanette87 View Post
YAY!!!! FOOD REVIEW FOOD REVIEW!!!!!!!

Looks FANTASTIC Rob!!! One question, courtesy of the other half: What came with the Chicken and Chorizo Skewer?

The Pineapple Ravoli looks amazing!!! Sounds to me like you have a thing for Basil Sorbets though!!!

Bob xoxoxoxox
If I remember rightly, it was fork mashed potato, with peppers on top. I dislike peppers (like a lot of things ), so I just scraped the peppers aside and ate the potato.

As for the basil sorbets - it was a coincidence as I love melon and ham and really liked the look of the ravioli. Truth be told, I was expecting not to like the sorbets initially but ended up enjoying it, although I wouldn't want them in an ice cream

Facebook | Flickr | 500px

ukstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:14 PM   #21
Bolanette87
The Queen Bee

Thank you!! Both for the review and the prompt answer!!

That'll be me staring at the food pics for the rest of the night!!

Bob xoxoxox
Old 09-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #22
A Small World

I always like to give a little royal wave whilst Im up there
Not even looking at it til I get some housework done

We'd love to eat here but each time we've looked at the childrens menu theres not a lot DD likes.
Shes not a fussy eater theres just things she really doesnt like such as salmon and that is one of the things on the menu for her.
I think I looked once and the only thing she would have wanted would have been the Mickey Pizza - would have made it an expensive pizza.

I think we'll have to keep checking the menu.

Thanks for the review and pics - we'll get to eat here sometime as we like good quality food
WDW - Christmas 1991 -Off site; WDW - Christmas 1992 -Off site; WDW - Summer 1996 - All Stars; WDW - Summer 2003 -All Stars; DLP - Easter 2006- Santa Fe; DLP- Easter 2007 - Santa Fe + Explorers; DLP - Summer 2007 - Holiday Inn; DLP - Christmas 2007 -DCR; DLP - Easter 2008 - Cheyenne; DLP Summer 2008 Explorers + Sequoia Lodge; Nov 09 DDs surprise birthday trip- Kyriad; Feb2009 Disneyland Hotel; Easter 09 Kyriad; Summer 09 Newport Bay; Oct 10- DL ; Dec 11 - DL: Dec 12 DL; Dec 13 - DLP SL, Dec 14 - DLP DLH

A Small World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:25 AM   #23
britchic4
There's often a piano player in the evening
Do you feel any different now you've been sprinkled with pixie dust?

Ooh that lobster looks amazing! Will have to show that to Dh when he gets home, think I know what he'll be having...
Newport Bay Hotel 2004......Davy Crockett's Ranch Feb 2008......Les Etangs Fleuris May 2008......Disneyland Hotel Oct 2008......Holiday Inn December 2008......Disneyland Hotel March 2009......Adagio Apartments May 2009......Adagio Apartments Oct 2009......Cheyenne Hotel Jan 2010......Disneyland Hotel March 2010

No ticker!!! Sob sob.
britchic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:07 AM   #24
Bolanette87
The Queen Bee

We ate here as our special meal this trip, as an engagement present to ourselves.

Robert had booked the table at the NPBC concierge, but owing to a mix up with spelling, he was Mr. Galve for the evening (His name is actually )! Not a problem though!

We arrived at the California Grill to be greeted warmly by the restaurant manager, who greeted Robert by name, and then addressed me as 'Mrs. Galve' which I quite pleased about! He then told us to wait one moment as he wanted to check our table was ready.... When he came back he informed us we'd be: "Dining in style tonight as we have given you a lovely table with a Castle view.".... I was thrilled!!

We took our seats, and we did have a fabulous view overlooking the Castle! Very romantic!

Our waiter was very lovely and attentive... We weren't kept waiting for anything.

Robert had the Chicken and Chorizo Skewers with fork mashed potatoes with basil, and a red pepper and tomato sauce:

This was his favourite meal the whole trip!

I went for the Seabass with courgettes and mint, courgette flower fritter, and an olive oil emulsion:

This was an amazing meal!! I loved it and ate every bite! I have to say, we found the portion sizes here very generous indeed!

Just as we began our meal, the head waitress came over to wish us 'Bon Appetit'... I was fascinated watching the chefs in the kitchen putting the meals together! It was amazing! I was also very touched when the head waitress took two young girls to tour the kitchens, and when they came out they were wearing chef hats and were delighted!! She then vanished for a couple of moments, and came back with a candyfloss for each of them... Very sweet!!

For dessert, Robert had a very rich dark chocolate tart with apricot sorbet, a brandy snap curl, and a chocolate curl:

He loved this. He said the sorbet really cut through the richness of the tart, and made it taste truly fab!!

I had the frozen childhood sweets dessert, which was three scoops of ice cream (Chocolate, Vanilla and Strawberry) on a sugar twist, with chocolate nougat, a mickey shortbread biscuit, candyfloss, and lots of other lovely little sweet treats....

It was very VERY good!!

Total bill was 114Euro.... And very very worth it!!

We would definately return here, time and time again.......

Bob xoxoxox

Last edited by Bolanette87; 11-18-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Bolanette87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #25
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Thanks for the excellent reviews and photos.
I'm sure many will start some new threads to ask lots of questions and comments

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #26
gemmybear83
I would blame it all on Bob
Awww I love the first day
You could stay behind after your meal and have another drink

Updated menu kndly sent via Steve_Rob....

Old 10-31-2008, 06:42 AM   #27
Danauk
I would be sitting on the patio of the Fontana bar at the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas watching the dancing fountains on a warm balmy night whilst sipping vintage Champagne

We ate here for dinner on Tuesday 28th October, we have eaten here quite a few times and always return! The menu had changed from the one posted above to an autumn menu.

To start we all had the winter green veg salad with cranberries and walnuts which was very nice.

For main I had rack of lamb with redcurrents, walnut mash and it came with a delicious poached pear.

My dad had the same but lamb shank instead of rack

DH had poached veal with fois grais, which was very nice, but had a huge block of fois grais which was very rich.

For desert, dad had a cheese selection

I had glazed apples with crumble and grapefruit sorbet, it was very nice!

DH and mum had lime tart with pistachio cream which they both said was very nice.

The meal was again lovely, the quality of food outstanding again. Although expnsive it didn't actually cost us that much more than the inventions buffet.
Disneyland Paris: Aug 1998 (off site - honeymoon), Easter 2004 (Hotel New York), Feb 2005 (off site), April 2008 (Hotel New York), October 2008 (Disneyland Hotel), November 2008 (Hotel New York), August 2013, Halloween 2013, New Year 2013/4, August 2014, New Year 2014/15, Easter 2015 WDW: August 2003 (Beach Club Villas - 5th anniversary), Christmas/New Year 2005/6 (Beach Club Villas), August 2009 (Animal Kingdom Lodge savanna view - 11th anniversary) Disneyland: August 2008 (Grand Californian, theme park view - 10th anniversary)

Last edited by Danauk; 10-31-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Danauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #28
britchic4
There's often a piano player in the evening
Do you feel any different now you've been sprinkled with pixie dust?

What a lovely restaurant. We ate here twice, on our first and last evening. We didn't have children with us, but there were children in the restaurant and they were provided with colouring.
We had a wonderful seat by the window with a perfect view of the castle all lit up, but on this night I didn't have my camera so no pics, sorry!

On our first night we decided to go for the 7 course taster (Degustation) menu. It was hideously expensive but did include 3 glasses of wine.
First was rolled sushi and smoked salmon sashimi. I don't really know why they felt the sashimi had to be smoked salmon, or whether they thought people wouldn't eat real salmon sashimi? Having lived in Japan for 3 yrs I would have loved it but this course was the most disappointing. Still nice though and beautifully presented of course, as was everything.
Next, foie gras with brioche. A huge portion of foie gras for a tasting menu, and this was DH's favourite. Not to be compared with the foie gras you get in Auberge BTW, a whole different class.
Next, sea bass with Thai black rice. A very nice dish although I was glad it was a taster - wouldn't have wanted it as my main course.
Next lamb parcel with a nest of vegetables - the lamb was divine but the vegetable nest was just wierd, the veg overcooked and mushy.
Next what would have been a full cheese course in any other restaurant - 4 decent size pieces of cheese with biscuits.
Next raspberry and pistachio icecream in a sugar nest - the icecream was to die for!!
Next coffee and funny little petit fours (which we didn't eat, too full!).
With a couple of exceptions it was a lovely meal, and the service was excellent at all times.
Newport Bay Hotel 2004......Davy Crockett's Ranch Feb 2008......Les Etangs Fleuris May 2008......Disneyland Hotel Oct 2008......Holiday Inn December 2008......Disneyland Hotel March 2009......Adagio Apartments May 2009......Adagio Apartments Oct 2009......Cheyenne Hotel Jan 2010......Disneyland Hotel March 2010

No ticker!!! Sob sob.
britchic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:43 AM   #29
A Small World

I always like to give a little royal wave whilst Im up there
Not even looking at it til I get some housework done

As promised up dated menus from this weekend

WDW - Christmas 1991 -Off site; WDW - Christmas 1992 -Off site; WDW - Summer 1996 - All Stars; WDW - Summer 2003 -All Stars; DLP - Easter 2006- Santa Fe; DLP- Easter 2007 - Santa Fe + Explorers; DLP - Summer 2007 - Holiday Inn; DLP - Christmas 2007 -DCR; DLP - Easter 2008 - Cheyenne; DLP Summer 2008 Explorers + Sequoia Lodge; Nov 09 DDs surprise birthday trip- Kyriad; Feb2009 Disneyland Hotel; Easter 09 Kyriad; Summer 09 Newport Bay; Oct 10- DL ; Dec 11 - DL: Dec 12 DL; Dec 13 - DLP SL, Dec 14 - DLP DLH

A Small World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:13 PM   #30
mummyal
Think it was too much jigging around
My must-do's are ToT RnR and Crush

We had a reservation for 6.30pm on Friday, December 19th. There were only a couple of other tables there at the time but more families started arriving around the 7/7.30pm mark. Again, we used our HB Premium vouchers here and we went for the Tinkerbell set menu (same menu as what Small World has posted before this).

We were shown to our table right away and the kids were given their menu/colouring pencils and they got to work right away.

DH and I had the smoked salmon for starters (and the kids ate some of it as well.... grrrrr lol).

Louise's starter - vegetables, chive creme fraiche dip:

Adam's starter - vegetable soup (which was rather tasty), Mickey crouton:

DH's main - pan-fried sea bass fillet. Unfortunately, the fish was rather tasteless and a bit on the overcooked side, so it was a bit dry. There wasn't much of a sauce to go with it either.

My main - lamb shank in red wine sauce. I have had nicer and more tender lamb shanks before where the meat actually fell off the bone. This one was quite tasty but the meat wasn't as tender and the sauce was actually a bit on the thick side (I know, I know, we're fussy lol).

Louise's steamed salmon steak (which had more taste than DH's sea bass lol), rice & buttered vegetables

Adam's Linguini bolognaise - which was very tasty (and he ate most of it).

Our dessert - caramelised apple tart with choc ice-cream (supposed to be caramel ice-cream). This was lovely!

Louise chose 'Mickey's Painting Workshop', ie pieces of choc jigsaw puzzle. She only ate 1.5 pieces of this as it was sooo sickly sweet (a bit like the Cinderella's slipper).

Adam's ice-cream - 3 scoops with Mickey waffle (the waffle disappeared rather quickly lol)

Once again, we were glad that we had the HB vouchers for this. I think we would've been rather disappointed if we had to pay full price for the meal we had (and we're the sort who do not mind paying for a very nice meal). I would be willing to go back to give it another go though . Perhaps the chef wasn't having a good moment at the time. We found the atmosphere to be really nice and calm. There were quite a few families then with young kids and all were very well behaved, including my two Service was also very good. We got another 'freebie' this evening. Well, not quite a freebie but might as well have been. We also ordered a bottle of wine and 2 coffees at the end, so we would've had to pay an extra 38 euros (yes, the wine was 30E). The lady came back and told us that we didn't have to pay for the kids' meals - they had this offer where one kid ate free with one paying adult if we were seated before 7. So, she used the face value of both their vouchers and we only had to pay 8 euros in the end .

Sept 2006 - Sequoia Lodge :: April 2008 - Sequoia Lodge :: December 2008 - Hotel New York

Last edited by mummyal; 12-26-2008 at 04:51 PM.
mummyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: