Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

Yard Sale Pricing - Pottery Barn Kids Bedding

What should I ask - or what would you pay - for Pottery Barn Kids bedding at a yardsale? I have two twin size quilted comforters/bedspreads, with matching pillow shams, and two small (think infant size) pillows with the same shams, only smaller, of course!!

I also have two of the twin size "down" comforters that you would use a duvet cover for if you wanted them to be the bedspread. I bought plain white down ones and them used the quilted patterned comforter over that.

I also have four sets of PBK twin size sheets in a different but "matching" pattern. It was all bought form the same catalog page several years ago.

It's all in very good used condition. Would you price them individually or as one set?

I would be looking to get the most money from them, not to price them just to get rid of them. I could easily give them away if I just wanted to get them out of my house, but I'd like to try and make some $$ if I could.
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
Bbbethei
Mouseketeer

Honestly? I don't think you'll get maximum value at a yard sale. Most people in my area are looking for a great bargain and may not care about the brand as much. For example, I went to a garage sale in my subdivision where I immediately spotted a Tiffany & Co dish that matched a bowl I already owned. The owner was quite eager to point out the brand and told me that she had many other buyers scoff at the $10 price. I, on the otherhand, was more than glad to pay for it!

I would recommend listing the bedding on eBay or preferably Craigslist. I think you'll get more money using those outlets!
Bbbethei is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
princess stich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCLiz View Post
What should I ask - or what would you pay - for Pottery Barn Kids bedding at a yardsale? I have two twin size quilted comforters/bedspreads, with matching pillow shams, and two small (think infant size) pillows with the same shams, only smaller, of course!!

I also have two of the twin size "down" comforters that you would use a duvet cover for if you wanted them to be the bedspread. I bought plain white down ones and them used the quilted patterned comforter over that.

I also have four sets of PBK twin size sheets in a different but "matching" pattern. It was all bought form the same catalog page several years ago.

It's all in very good used condition. Would you price them individually or as one set?

I would be looking to get the most money from them, not to price them just to get rid of them. I could easily give them away if I just wanted to get them out of my house, but I'd like to try and make some $$ if I could.
You don't by any chance have the "Blue Baron" one do you?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

I ask for 1/3 of the original price or there-abouts. You might get it, you might not, but it's a starting point.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
Suzanna1973
I want to live at Disney World

Normally a Yard Sale's purpose is to just make a few dollars when cleaning stuff out of your house. With the kind of money you are seeking may I suggest Craig's List?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
DVCLiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess stich View Post
You don't by any chance have the "Blue Baron" one do you?
I don't think so - this is very girly, pink and green with light pink, dark pink and blue flowers. The sheets are dark pink with a design.

If I had a down comforter, a quilt, a regular size pillow sham, a small "baby" size pillow with matching sham, a decorative throw pillow, and 2 sets of twin sheets (one flat, one fitted, two pillowcases) do you think I could get $100 for all that? $75? $50?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
princess stich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't think so - this is very girly, pink and green with light pink, dark pink and blue flowers. The sheets are dark pink with a design.

If I had a down comforter, a quilt, a regular size pillow sham, a small "baby" size pillow with matching sham, a decorative throw pillow, and 2 sets of twin sheets (one flat, one fitted, two pillowcases) do you think I could get $100 for all that? $75? $50?
Nope- Blue Baron is boy's airplane bedding.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
NVDisMom
I love to read aloud
First rule: NEVER take DH and kids grocery shopping

Check out what similar items are going for on ebay and craigslist. Then, price accordingly. I wouldn't bother trying to sell them at a yard sale. I'd list them on craigslist if you want to make some extra cash.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
Soccer Princess
DIS Cast Member
you would never find me with the old hammer again!

I agree-- eBay or Craigslist. There is not way you are going to get the $$ you want from a yard sale. PBK is pretty popular, so you should get a decent amount with one of those two. Good luck!
Soccer Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:27 PM   #10
dismom24
Mouseketeer

I think you would do a lot better on Ebay. I've never been able to get more than $20 for comforters at yard sales. People just want a real deep bargain and usually don't have a lot of cash on them.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #11
HayGan
We could all use some pixie dust now and then :)
Papa Smurf Oh Papa Smurf!

Location: Steeler Country - PA!!!! Home of the World Champion PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!

Count me in as another person who thinks you should go the craigslist/ebay route with that kind of stuff. I would list on craigslist first (with pics) since it is free and see how it goes.

You are only going to get pennies on the dollar for anything at a yard/garage sale.
Next up:
Girls Only B-Day trip for F&WF - Oct. 2013, Turkey Day & 1st cruise! Nov/Dec. 2013
, Key West & BCV for the first time!!! May 2014
HayGan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:16 AM   #12
christa112
DIS Veteran

I think you should try Craig's List or Ebay to sell larger ticket items.

Most people walking into a tag sale don't want to spend much money and are looking for deals.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:27 AM   #13
DVCLiz

My daughter decided to keep the bedding in case she ever wants to use her twin beds again - so it's off the market for now!!
Old 08-23-2008, 07:17 PM   #14
rita.starritt
Earning My Ears

pottery barn

i am looking for a pottery barn set for boys. i have triplets also and have one girls room done and the boys share a room. i got a pottery barn quilt , three shams, a car pillow and some frames with cars and sheets and window valences for 55 dollars. i saw another one for 40, but by the time i got around to calling them, they had already sold it.

i have usually seen them from 75 to 125 and occasionally for more./

if you are interested in selling your sets, i might be interested in buying one (or maybe two) my telephone number is 303 807 6635 and i have a gmail account with rita.starritt as the first part and gmail as the last part.... as i am still looking for something for the second boy. rita
rita.starritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #15
cats mom
Mouseketeer

Has a wild and vivid imagination

Quote:
My daughter decided to keep the bedding in case she ever wants to use her twin beds again - so it's off the market for now!!

Better option than trying to sell it at a yard sale, as long as you have the storage space.

I put a PBK set out last time we had a yard sale. Hardly anyone even looked at it. My best offer was $25.00 for everything.

I took lots of pictures, put it on CraigsList and had $100 in hand the next day.
cats mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: