Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
momsavealot
DIS Veteran

Best time to do Jedi training academy??

Hi! My boys love Star Wars and I was just wondering if anybody knew which show would be the best chance to be picked from the audience to train as a jedi? Thanks!! (and may the force be with you!)
Aug. 2008 Polynesian Resort
Feb. 2006 Nickelodeon Hotel
(DD12) (DS11)(DS10) (DD7)
momsavealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
Christine & family
Mouseketeer

Sometimes you have to just try and try again as there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of rhymne nor reason to how they pick the kids. Being on the mat and making eye contact helps, but doesn't guarantee. My son is a HUGE star wars fan and it was important to him so we went to the first training session. He wasn't picked so we left and came back to the next one to try again. Not picked again so we left and tried a third time after lunch. Finally, he was picked and I think I took a roll of pictures. For him it was worth it so it all depends on how much time you want to devote to trying. Good luck!
Christine & family is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
DeblovesPoohbear
Disney Dreamin

It's all just random
Some kids were all decked out in Star Wars gear,,some not, mine was not
he had no idea about the jedi training, I didn't want him to be upset if he wasn't picked, he just happened to luck out
and it was the highlight of our trip
My DS7 was picked last Nov and we went to the last show of the day
I think it was around 3 or 4 pm
DeblovesPoohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
Stinkerbell317
LOSTaholic

Just explain to your son that there is a good chance he WILL NOT be picked. My DS8 has tried at least 6 times and has not been chosen, and he's usually quite lucky when it comes to this type of thing. It's still a great show even if you're not picked to be in it. I'm sure we'll have to give it another shot during our next visit!
Stinkerbell317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
mom2aandj
DIS Veteran

It is random, but I'd still say the first one of the day is a good bet. There are just less people that show up for it. I would also recommend showing up early. My DS and I got there 30 mins early for the 9:50am show. There were only 4 other kids there at that point. Maybe coincidence, but my DS and those other 4 kids were all ultimately chosen for the show. Good luck!!
Mar 2014
BLT: Mar 2014
CBR: Oct. 2009
Universal
PBH: Oct. 2010
mom2aandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
Hoogy
Mouseketeer

Both my daughters were picked last Nov.....my husband has turned them into SWars fans. Considering that 99% of the kids asking to be picked were boys I think they may have been chosen b/c they were girls. (and thankfully they took both and not just the one.....that would have been hard!) We too took video and loads of pictures!

June 1997 (POR: honeymoon)
August 2002 (ASM) December 2005 (WL)
Nov 2007 (4 day Wonder and 4 days at POP)
Sept 2008 POR Dec 2010 Christmas at Disney (ASM)
Hoogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

I would suggest the first show of the day, it will be less crowded. Arrive 20-30min early to get a seat on the ground at the front row. Wear a star wars shirt. have son raise his hand up when the master jedi comes out. We got extra lucky - my son got picked our first time, we went for the first show on a slower HS day.

June 2014 - DL planning in the works!
June 2011 - POFQ, Star Wars Weekends, Universal
April 2010 - CBR pirate room, 3rd time for just mom & 2 boys, Universal
June09 - CBR, Star Wars Weekends, just mom & 2 boys, more character meals - Trip Report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2208908
Oct08 - GF, MNSSHP, just mom & 2 boys, lots of character meals - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2013585
Apr08 - GF - 1st trip for family
MJAJmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
Chipmunk89
The DISer also known as CFR (Cute Furry Rodent)
Fledgling Redhead
I just had a really wierd experience

DS8 got picked his first time. It was the first show, and he was up front. He was wearing a Star Wars shirt. However, we were there during SSW, so most kids had Star Wars Tshirts or were in full costumes. When the Jedi Master came out and asked for voluteers, DS jumped up and down, and yelled to pick him. And he was.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:30 AM   #9
momsavealot
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely try first show and 30min. early. What I want to know is do the parents sit with the kids or do the kids go into some holding pen by themselves? I'm prepping my kids b/c the chances that all three of them will get picked are probably slim - DS5, DS7 and DD8.
Aug. 2008 Polynesian Resort
Feb. 2006 Nickelodeon Hotel
(DD12) (DS11)(DS10) (DD7)
momsavealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #10
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

In april, they picked 13 kids to come up on the stage. The front part where the kids sit is shaped like a V. They have a line painted that is about 4 feet away from the stage that the kids have to sit behind the line. Put your kid on the line and you can sit behind them. The master jedi started at one end and walked to the other end of the stage, he picked about 6 kids the first pass, then he walked back to the start and and did it again, picking 7 kids in the second pass.

If you want all 3 kids to get picked, you need to space them out around the V. If you stand them all 3 in a row, then odds are only 1 might get picked. He won't pick 3 kids standing next to each other. Try having them be about 5 feet apart on the line. There were a few kids in full jedi robes swinging their light saber in line - he did not pick them. My boy had his cool Darth Maul shirt on, I think that helped. Good luck.

June 2014 - DL planning in the works!
June 2011 - POFQ, Star Wars Weekends, Universal
April 2010 - CBR pirate room, 3rd time for just mom & 2 boys, Universal
June09 - CBR, Star Wars Weekends, just mom & 2 boys, more character meals - Trip Report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2208908
Oct08 - GF, MNSSHP, just mom & 2 boys, lots of character meals - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2013585
Apr08 - GF - 1st trip for family
MJAJmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:47 AM   #11
LilGMom
It makes me want to Kiss on the lips!
I have caught myself laughing more than a few times

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsavealot View Post
Thanks for the advice! I will definitely try first show and 30min. early. What I want to know is do the parents sit with the kids or do the kids go into some holding pen by themselves? I'm prepping my kids b/c the chances that all three of them will get picked are probably slim - DS5, DS7 and DD8.
There is a mat on the ground for the kids to stand on. I would tell the kids that there is the chance that they won't get picked and if they do then it must be their lucky day.

We tried more than a few times in October (wearing SW shirts and not wearing SW shirts but always jumping and waving his hands) and my DS6 never got picked. We tried for about three days, a few times a day, in May and on the last day that we were in DHS my DS6 was finally picked. Each time he knew that the being picked was 100% random and the Jedi had no way of telling who was a huge fan or who had tried before. DH & I are also huge SW fans so him finally getting picked was a big deal for all of us.

Even if your kids don't get picked it is a really cute show to watch and we always stay to watch it - I think we can all recite the dialogue by now.
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo, Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani (aka "Home"), Bay Lake Towers, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Carribean Beach, The Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Old Key West, Pop Century, Port Orleans French Quarter & Riverside, Saratoga Springs (aka "Home"), Shades of Green, Swan, Treehouse Villas, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, & the Disney Dream.

Upcoming trips: Whenver we feel like it. Living close has its perks.
"Well if there's enough room for a chowder-head like you, then there is more than enough room for a dragon" - Pete's Dragon
LilGMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:49 AM   #12
LilGMom
It makes me want to Kiss on the lips!
I have caught myself laughing more than a few times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAJmom View Post
In april, they picked 13 kids to come up on the stage. The front part where the kids sit is shaped like a V. They have a line painted that is about 4 feet away from the stage that the kids have to sit behind the line. Put your kid on the line and you can sit behind them. The master jedi started at one end and walked to the other end of the stage, he picked about 6 kids the first pass, then he walked back to the start and and did it again, picking 7 kids in the second pass.

If you want all 3 kids to get picked, you need to space them out around the V. If you stand them all 3 in a row, then odds are only 1 might get picked. He won't pick 3 kids standing next to each other. Try having them be about 5 feet apart on the line. There were a few kids in full jedi robes swinging their light saber in line - he did not pick them. My boy had his cool Darth Maul shirt on, I think that helped. Good luck.
We saw the Jedi pick about six kids all standing together during one show in October, unfortunately my DS was the seventh kid and not picked that time. No rhyme or reason to the picking in our experiences.
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo, Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani (aka "Home"), Bay Lake Towers, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Carribean Beach, The Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Old Key West, Pop Century, Port Orleans French Quarter & Riverside, Saratoga Springs (aka "Home"), Shades of Green, Swan, Treehouse Villas, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, & the Disney Dream.

Upcoming trips: Whenver we feel like it. Living close has its perks.
"Well if there's enough room for a chowder-head like you, then there is more than enough room for a dragon" - Pete's Dragon
LilGMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #13
lookslikefun
Earning My Ears

What is this? How have I never come across it before?
SOG Easter Week 2004
Poly September 2007
AKL/CR August 2008
lookslikefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #14
Hillbeans
If you're bored, please read a book or watch TV...TFs are scared of eyebrowless people
Pulled an "Agony of Defeat" at the mall
"I told them that I liked Michael Bolton!"

We went to Disney Studios on Tuesday, July 15th and DS got picked for the 2nd show, at 10:50 I think it was? There weren't a lot of people over by the Star tours area, so I think we just lucked out with timing and the # of kids waiting. He did have on a "Star Wars" shirt, but I had to make him jump up and down to get picked -

It was also the highlight of his (and our) trip.
1977 - 1st Trip, 1982, 2nd Trip & EPCOT, 2003 - AKL, 2004 2 trips - Marriott World and POFQ, July 2005 - Grand Gathering - Emerald Isle - Coronado, Beach Club Villas, Dolphin - Mar/Apr 2007 - Mom's meet June '08, Grand Gathering # 2 - July '08 - Bought DVC July '08- First DVC trip to BWV June '09 - AKV Jambo Poly 2010, BCV June 2011, Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise 11/2012, Disney Magic 11/2/14
Hillbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:55 AM   #15
GoofyKidd
Mouseketeer

We got next month and my DS5 is dying to do this. He is a Star Wars fanatic and a most impressive Jedi! I hope and pray he gets picked. Where do I find show times?
GoofyKidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: