Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
ConcKahuna
Corn was on sale, 10 ears for $3, of course it was cheaper at The Root Of All Evil

Howdy! FW Cabin FAQ Thread!!

People tend to forget that Fort Wilderness is almost like 2 resorts, a campground and the cabins!

(photos and links in this post are all from the www.wdwinfo.com website)

The cabins are a unique resort experience at WDW, offering spacious and comfy accomidations in a "great outdoors" setting. Cabins are similar to a one-bedroom "villa" complete with a full kitchen, charcoal grill, dishwasher, cable TV, and DVD players. There is parking for 1 vehicle and a golf cart at each cabin. Cabins also recieve full housekeeping daily.

Cabins are located in the 2100 through 2800 loops of Fort Wilderness as seen by the map HERE. Each "loop" is a one-way road lined with between 30 to 72 individual cabins. At the end of each cabin loop is a bus stop, with buses that service the "Purple" route to either the "Outpost" or "Settlement". These buses will be labeled "Outpost Purple" or "Settlement Purple" depending on the direction they are traveling.

The Outpost area is the Front Desk/main parking area. Here you can get bus transportation to Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios, Disney's Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney, Typhoon Lagoon, and Blizzard Beach. This is also where the Kennel is located, and where you meet up for the Horseback Trail Rides.

The Settlement area is located near Bay Lake. Here you can visit the Settlement Trading Post, the Tri-Circle D Ranch, Pioneer Hall, the Marina, Clementine Beach, and the boat launch. The Tri-Circle D Ranch is home to the "Show" horses of WDW (the ones that pull the carraiges and are used on Main Street), as well as pony rides and a small display of famous Disney horses (and Minnie Moo!). Pioneer Hall is home to Trails End Buffet (best cornbread in town!), The Hoop Dee Doo Musical Review, Guest Services (for tickets/dining), and the now defunct Crockett's Tavern. At the boat launch you can get transportation to the Magic Kingdom, Wilderness Lodge, and Contemporary Resort.

There's some more info and photos at the WDWInfo page, and of course post away!!
Old 07-28-2008, 07:51 AM   #2
manhattan
DIS Veteran

Can you walk from your cabin to the gift shop? If so, how long is the walk?
Port Orleans French Quarter 10/96, 05/01, 07/05, 12/06 Riverside 04/07, 06/07, 11/07, 05/08, 07/13 All Star Music 10/99, 01/09 Wilderness Lodge 08/97, 05/00, 09/00, 09/01 Polynesian 10/99, 07/03 Coronado Springs 08/06, 08/07, 08/08 Fort Wilderness Cabins 08/08, 12/10 Gaylord Palms 12/08 All Star Music Family Suites 03/10, 05/11 All Star Movies 09/11, 09/14 Pop Century 10/12
Offsite 1980, 1990, 2009

Hoping to get and go back for MVMCP
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

http://www.disunplugged.com/2008/07/...-disney-world/

This is a review of the Wagon Ride at Fort Wilderness.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
parmtoo
Buzz & Woody's Gram

I can't really tell by the photos I've seen, but are the regular stoves in the cabin's?
We love FW and have spent time there in our RV, but never tried the cabin's yet. Our plan is to stay @ FW cabin's in Jan 09.............
Old 07-28-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
PatsMom
Sometimes has Dory moments!
I have two brothers and either of them would have been proud to be suspended for stinking up the bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmtoo View Post
I can't really tell by the photos I've seen, but are the regular stoves in the cabin's?
We love FW and have spent time there in our RV, but never tried the cabin's yet. Our plan is to stay @ FW cabin's in Jan 09.............
There is a full kitchen in the cabins. When DD was younger we loved having the kitchen and the private bedroom. Our only regret about buying our DVC membership is that we probably won't be staying at the cabins again.
September 1996 - Fort Wilderness (DD and DH's first trip) October 1999 - Fort Wilderness November 2001 - Fort Wilderness November 2004 - Fort Wilderness November 2005 - Saratoga Springs December 2006 - Saratoga Springs February 2007 - All Star Sports August 2007 - Boardwalk Villas November 2007 - Saratoga Springs February 2008 - Villas at the Wilderness Lodge August 2008 - Old Key West
December 2008 - Saratoga Springs February 2009 - Beach Club Villas September 2009 (50th birthday trip) - Bay Lake Tower January 2010 - Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani Village) May 2010 - Old Key West September 2010 - Bay Lake Tower May 2011 - Beach Club Villas October 2011 - Saratoga Springs January 2012 - Old Key West May 2012 - Old Key West October 2012 - Old Key West January 2013 - Family gathering at Old Key West; May 2013 - Wilderness Lodge Villas; November 2013 - AKL Jambo House; February 2014 - Saratoga Springs
Old 07-28-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
parmtoo
Buzz & Woody's Gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsMom View Post
There is a full kitchen in the cabins. When DD was younger we loved having the kitchen and the private bedroom. Our only regret about buying our DVC membership is that we probably won't be staying at the cabins again.
Thanks! Like I said, we love FW and have spent alot of time there camping, but never in a cabin yet.......we are putting a trip together for the family, (DH & I, our 3 kids, 3 grandkids, & 2 son's inlaw), for Jan. 09. We think 2 cabin's is our best option.
So glad there is a new FAQ for FW!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
ConcKahuna
Corn was on sale, 10 ears for $3, of course it was cheaper at The Root Of All Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattan View Post
Can you walk from your cabin to the gift shop? If so, how long is the walk?
It can be quite a hike from most cabin loops to the closest store (the Meadows Trading Post). If you are in the 2100 loop, there is a walkway from near the end of the loop to the 1100 loop comfort station, then the Meadows is just across the street.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #8
onehotdisneymama
Mouseketeer

Our family just loves the cabins at Ft. Wilderness. It was our first choice when picking a place to stay for Christmas Vacation. The space to spread out is one of our biggest pluses, peace and quiet, the golf cart is a hoot(we love going out and looking at the wild life at night) This will be our 4th time at Ft. Wilderness (we have stayed numerous times at the other resorts). Can't hardly wait until Christmas

"Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten."
Old 07-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #9
J.C.&ALI'SMOM
I really had to bite my tongue on that one
Wondering how we could get our moonshine on the plane

Great thread! Here are some photos from our cabin stay in July 07.

The double bed in the bedroom

Towel animals in the front window

The pull down bed in the living room/kitchen area

The "view" from our deck

Our rabbit friend

Old 07-29-2008, 08:56 AM   #10
mrsturtle
nj mom of 2 boys

great pics and info. looks like a fun and different way of doing disney.

me DH DS (3) DS (2)

poly 1977
offsite the early 80's
offsite 1991
POFQ 1997
CB 1999
BCV 2009
Old 07-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #11
ConcKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsturtle View Post
great pics and info. looks like a fun and different way of doing disney.
That it is! The cabins are kind of wasted on a short stay though, since FW has a TON of stuff to do! There's tennis courts, volleyball, fishing (both rod n reel and cane pole), paddle boats, kiyaks, horseback rides, pony rides, canoes, the campfire sign-a-long (with Chip n Dale!), mountain bike rentals, and all the activities of a normal resort. They also have a marina with SeaRaycer rentals, as well as the Pontoon boats.

I like to spend a weekend at the cabins, have a cookout, and just relax
Old 07-29-2008, 08:00 PM   #12
BostonRob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcKahuna View Post
That it is! The cabins are kind of wasted on a short stay though, since FW has a TON of stuff to do! There's tennis courts, volleyball, fishing (both rod n reel and cane pole), paddle boats, kiyaks, horseback rides, pony rides, canoes, the campfire sign-a-long (with Chip n Dale!), mountain bike rentals, and all the activities of a normal resort. They also have a marina with SeaRaycer rentals, as well as the Pontoon boats.

I like to spend a weekend at the cabins, have a cookout, and just relax

Are there actually any mountainbike trails, or do they rent mountainbikes to ride on paved trails?
Old 08-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #13
ConcKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonRob View Post
Are there actually any mountainbike trails, or do they rent mountainbikes to ride on paved trails?
The rent them for use on the paved trails. There used to be some great nature trails, but the 3 storms in '04 pretty much destroyed them
Old 08-01-2008, 03:14 PM   #14
scottish mum
We still have 2 posties in shorts
I'm still learning how to work it

With the bike rentals can you rent the trailers for the back of bikes. My 4yr old daughter can't ride by herself but we would like to use the bikes 1 day to see all of the resort
Disneyland Paris 1994, 1997, 2004, 2009
fort wilderness cabins september 2008
Beach Club October 2010

Old 08-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #15
ConcKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish mum View Post
With the bike rentals can you rent the trailers for the back of bikes. My 4yr old daughter can't ride by herself but we would like to use the bikes 1 day to see all of the resort
I don't think they have the trailers, but I seem to remember some of the bikes having "child seats" on the back of them. You can always call the Bike Barn at 407-824-2742 and check with them to be sure
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: