Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
bourlea
Earning My Ears

Buying direct from Disney

Hello All,

Sorry but this may be an obvious question from an obvious newbie

Can anyone explain the process from buying direct from Disney

I know the number of points that i want
I know the resort i want

Really looking for any information about what is going to happen when i call my guide, will they just say ok and take my credit card number and its all done?

Thanks

Adam
bourlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:57 AM   #2
junior27
Mouseketeer

Hi Adam,

Welcome to the boards.

We bought at AKL in November. We had visited WDW in July last year and took the tour with our guide Jonathan. We then came home to do the figures and make a final decision.

In November I phoned Jonathan and told him the number of points we wanted (270) at AKL. Having read more of these boards I would probably have split this up into 160, 50 and 50 (as the closing costs are reduced if you buy direct from Disney, I believe).

We paid a deposit (10% I think) and then, within a couple of days a box arrived from via FedEx. This contained the contracts to be signed and other important information. We also received a call from the Sales team to ensure we had the box and to go over any questions.

We signed the papers and returned them via FedEx in the supplied document wallet.

We then arranged a wire transfer of money from our Savings account to Disney. This could be done by credit card if you want the rewards or have a generous limit on your card.

The final bit was waiting for closing (January) but that was a formality and we could access the members website.

If you don't have a guide, I would recommend Jonathan. He has a very low-key but professional approach.

I believe that SSR is now "sold out" and that other DVC resorts are not openly marketed by Disney although you can buy there. The incentives were only offered on SSR and AKV and as SSR is said to be sold out, I imagine that AKV is the only resort offering incentives at the current time (but check).

Hope that helps.

Any other questions, get in touch.

John
Register to remove

Old 07-12-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
bourlea
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the quick reply

another 2 questions

1 why do you only pay a 10% deposit (and not the whole amount)?

2 whats closing?
bourlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
junior27
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourlea View Post
Thanks for the quick reply

another 2 questions

1 why do you only pay a 10% deposit (and not the whole amount)?

2 whats closing?
Hi there,

We only paid a deposit because that was all that was asked for initially. I think (but others will know for sure) that it allows for preparation of papers but also leaves room for you to back out once you read these papers.

Again, I am not an expert, but the closing is part of the legal process of buying property. Your signed forms are returned to Disney who then forward them to the local authorities for them to be officially registered. Many official Florida documents are available to view online - so it is possible to see your signed and recorded documents via the local authority website.

There are closing costs involved in your purchase but, I believe these are reduced if you buy direct from Disney. I am sure others will correct me if I am wrong, but I think add-ons direct from Disney incur no closing costs, hence the advantage of splitting a larger points purchase into smaller (and more attractive to the re-sale market) bundles.

It's worth checking out www.dvcnews.com as well - it has the current prices for each of the DVC resorts.

Best wishes on your purchase, hope I've helped.

John
Old 07-12-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
CustardTart

I am sooo proud, happy, relieved and impressed - it's a great day...

I rang our guide, Bobby Corsello and told him how many points we wanted to buy and gave him my Amex card number. He took our details and advised me to contact Amex to warn them of the amount that would be being charged which I duly did. The transaction went through without problem, I received the FedEx'd paperwork within 5 days and we were in the system shortly after that... It's was crazily easy and I was able to make our first booking within a couple of weeks of ringing our guide...
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - Christmas 1998 * Dolphin/Vero Beach - Easter 2000 * Polynesian - August 2001 * Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - August 2004 * Beach Club/DCL Wonder - May 2005 * Grand Californian Hotel - NYE 2005 * Polynesian - August 2006 * DCL Magic Western Caribbean - September 2007 * Yacht Club - October 2007 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa - December 2007 * Villas at Wilderness Lodge/DCL Wonder Double Dip - May 2008 * DCL Magic Mexican Riviera/Disneyland Hotel - August 2008 * Boardwalk Villas - October 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas/Hard Rock Hotel Club - Easter 2009 * Bay Lake Tower/DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean & Tortola/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - September 2009 * Bay Lake Tower - June 2010 * DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic - September 2010 * Old Key West - October 2010 * Sequoia Lodge/Paris - November 2010 * Boardwalk Villas/DCL Dream Inaugural Cruise - January 2011 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - November 2011 * Boardwalk Villas - July 2012 * Animal Kingdom Villas/DCL Fantasy Western Caribbean - November 2012 * Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Tower - January 2014...
CustardTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
pinkgoddess76
Earning My Ears

I have just bought on bcv direct from disney I had to wait list for them and it took about 2 months. I havent paid a deposit and I get 60 days to pay the balance from signing the contracts. I got my member number straight away and I booked my trip at the same time.

pinkgoddess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
razster
Proud Owner @ AKV

Arrow Disney direct

we have always dealt directly with disney , it has been a breeze fedex back and forth with ease. great service. our guide has a real understanding of dealing with uk residents and that made a big difference,such as calling at a time convenient to our time zone etc and understanding the financial and cultural differences. not sure if we allowed to recommend PM me for his details he really is a diamond. i have recommended many others and they have all had the same experience so i am sure he is consistent.

if you have any other questions we have just gone through another disney contract recently so can answer any of your questions ...hopefully .

Raz

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: