Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #2416
huntconn
"Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile."

Sorry that I'm getting a little behind with the "live updates". You guys know how it is after several days at the world...finding the time is getting harder and I'm getting more and more tired! These early entry days are a killer. As far as the weather is concerned, July in Florida is quite the adventure. This morning it was hot and humid but by noon is was actually dry and breezy, then the heavy rains moved in. Now it's slightly humid and overcast. The previous 2 days were "picture perfect" sunny, hot Florida days with no rain. Before that it was your standard July hot and sunny but "set your watch by the 2pm 30 minute thundershower from hell" type of days. The meteorologists could have 15 minute updates around here! Gotta love it!

Last edited by huntconn; 07-12-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:38 PM   #2417
huntconn

Sorry if I'm throwing a bunch of updates in here at one time. We have a 6:45pm ADR at Chef Mickey's tonight and the DW (Dana) and 2 DS's (Hunter 7 and Connor 6...guess where my username comes from?) are taking a nap so I have some downtime. As we have been spending every afternoon at the volcano pool, we have had plenty of opportunity to sample several (or more!) offerings from the Barefoot Pool Bar. So far we have tried the following:
1. Tommy Bahama Mama
2. Ultimate Long Island Iced Tea
3. Sunken Treasure
4. Pina CoLava
5. Poolside Lemonade
6. Captain's Rum Runner
7. Captain's Mai Tai
All were very good and were priced from $8.25 to $10.25 so they are not cheap. The bartender told me that the Rum Runner and Mai Tai are the strongest tropical drinks they make and the ULI Iced Tea is the strongest non-tropical drink. I was only inquiring for research purposes of course I also tried the Kona Longboard Lager which was just ok. The coolest thing about it was the label on the bottle but they made me take it in a plastic cup.
Oh on a quick note: the new Toy Story Mania ride is AWESOME! If you are a video game fan you will love it. But you better get your fast pass early. We went back for our FP window at 10:30am and the return times then were 9:30pm

Last edited by huntconn; 07-12-2008 at 03:43 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #2418
momatater
DIS Veteran

Wow Huntconn! Sounds like your family is having a wonderful time. Thanks so much for taking the time to fill us in on what's going on there! I am a little upset to hear of the food changes at the lounge, but it certainly won't ruin our trip either! We just love being there and are fortunate to be able to enjoy CL overall!

Enjoy Chef Mickey's tonight!!!
Old 07-12-2008, 09:47 PM   #2419
CruisingCamper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntconn View Post
Sorry if I'm throwing a bunch of updates in here at one time. We have a 6:45pm ADR at Chef Mickey's tonight and the DW (Dana) and 2 DS's (Hunter 7 and Connor 6...guess where my username comes from?) are taking a nap so I have some downtime. As we have been spending every afternoon at the volcano pool, we have had plenty of opportunity to sample several (or more!) offerings from the Barefoot Pool Bar. So far we have tried the following:
1. Tommy Bahama Mama
3. Sunken Treasure
4. Pina CoLava
5. Poolside Lemonade
6. Captain's Rum Runner
7. Captain's Mai Tai
All were very good and were priced from $8.25 to $10.25 so they are not cheap. The bartender told me that the Rum Runner and Mai Tai are the strongest tropical drinks they make and the ULI Iced Tea is the strongest non-tropical drink. I was only inquiring for research purposes of course I also tried the Kona Longboard Lager which was just ok. The coolest thing about it was the label on the bottle but they made me take it in a plastic cup.
Oh on a quick note: the new Toy Story Mania ride is AWESOME! If you are a video game fan you will love it. But you better get your fast pass early. We went back for our FP window at 10:30am and the return times then were 9:30pm

We are really enjoying your live reports!! Keep them coming!
2014- Disney's Saratoga Springs Feb
2013- Art of Animation Nov, Disney Fantasy Dec, Fort Wilderness May, Fort Wilderness March
2012- Yacht Club Oct, Fort Wilderness April
2011- Fort Wilderness March, Beach Club Nov, Disney Magic Dec, Polynesian Dec
2010- Fort Wilderness April
2009- Disney's Swan Aug, Fort Wilderness May, Fort Wilderness March
2008- Disney Magic Dec, Polynesian Dec, Caribbean Beach March
2006- Saratoga Springs Feb, Wilderness Lodge Jan
Old 07-12-2008, 09:50 PM   #2420
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
1. Tommy Bahama Mama
3. Sunken Treasure
4. Pina CoLava
5. Poolside Lemonade
6. Captain's Rum Runner
7. Captain's Mai Tai
Once again thanks for the live update.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:20 AM   #2421
mikkiwikki
DIS Veteran

crowded volcanoe pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
I know I promised a report of our stay, but it has literally been one thing after the other around here. . .I finally feel better, but I had wisdom teeth out last week and have been recovering from that ordeal. Yuck!

Anyway, here's a link to my 2008 Disney photos on Photobucket. There's some views of Polynesian in there too. I sure didn't take many photos this year primarily because I was too sick most of the time to pull the camera from the bag--yeah, that vacation could have been better, but there's always next time!

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...Disney%202008/

Ok what date did you take the picture of the volcanoe pool - its PACKED!!

I hope its not that packed when we go.
My Trippies:
2008 ThanksGiving TR POP-O-LICIOUS / CR Summer 2011 POLYTASTIC EXTRAVAGANZA
2011- Christmas in Orlando WindsorHills XtraVaGanZa
2012 - SUMMER POP & Windsor Hills
Old 07-13-2008, 07:45 AM   #2422
huntconn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkiwikki View Post
Ok what date did you take the picture of the volcanoe pool - its PACKED!!

I hope its not that packed when we go.
The volcano pool this time of year is pretty crowded between 1pm-ish and 4pm-ish. It's never seemed TOO crowded to me but everyone is different. You can always go to the quiet pool which is almost never crowded. Think about it...the Volcano pool is arguably the best themed pool on property (with the best view). Makes sense every kid at the Poly is going to want to swim there. I suggested going to the quiet pool to my kids the other day and they just looked at me like I had just sprung 6 new heads!
Chef Mickeys was really fun last night. Great character interaction. Nice food variety and good quality. This is not fine dining but it's a good value for all of the great character interaction. I tried my first mojito last night. YUK! I told my wife it tasted like the "mint flavored mouth piece" I had while playing football in high school. NASTY!

Last edited by huntconn; 07-15-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:49 AM   #2423
johnsonet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the nice words. I really appreciate that. I wasn't sure if I might be going overboard with these updates. Glad you guys like them. As for the "wonderful attitude" , I've just never been one of those people who let (what I consider) the little things ruin by overall experience. Yes, the shower heads are too low at the poly, there are no balconies on the 2nd floor, the hallways are a little dark...WAAAAAAAH! No resort is perfect, no cast member is perfect. But this is the closest I've found!
No way could you go overboard with live reports

I know! What is with the shower heads?!

Yes, the Polynesian is "perfectly" wonderful For those who don't "get it", that's their loss

Enjoy your vacation
Old 07-13-2008, 07:51 AM   #2424
polineedyan
DIS Veteran

If youre ever at the upstairs bar in GCH, try the Champagne Mojito. Its pricey, but its actually, VERY GOOD.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:57 AM   #2425
johnsonet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by polineedyan View Post
If youre ever at the upstairs bar in GCH, try the Champagne Mojito. Its pricey, but its actually, VERY GOOD.
Yum! I've got to try that! A champagne cocktail is one of my faves - mojito twist sounds interesting
Old 07-13-2008, 09:32 AM   #2426
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

huntconn:

I just added links to all of your LIVE posts, on Post 1! The name of the section is "Follow DISer "huntconn" as he posts LIVE from the Polynesian! July 2008"

I hope this is OK with you! I'm so glad that you and your family are having a wonderful time!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
John Terry Craig Robby Mushu BrownFamilyVacations.com

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
Old 07-13-2008, 09:57 AM   #2427
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonet View Post
Yes, the Polynesian is "perfectly" wonderful For those who don't "get it", that's their loss
Exactly!

Thanks for more updates, huntconn. Really appreciate you taking one for the team by doing the tropical drink research. I love the mai tais at the Polynesian. Having at least one per trip is a tradition for me.

What a great idea, SeaSpray.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:39 AM   #2428
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23 View Post
Exactly!

Thanks for more updates, huntconn. Really appreciate you taking one for the team by doing the tropical drink research. I love the mai tais at the Polynesian. Having at least one per trip is a tradition for me.

What a great idea, SeaSpray.
Yes, thank you huntconn for your time and effort in doing the tropical drink research for the rest of us!!

John Terry Craig Robby Mushu BrownFamilyVacations.com

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
Old 07-13-2008, 10:42 AM   #2429
EnchantedPiglet
DIS Veteran

I am so close to crying.
I miss the Poly so much.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #2430
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote: