Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Walt Disney World park?
EPCOT 4 13.79%
Hollywood Studios 1 3.45%
Magic Kingdom 24 82.76%
Animal Kingdom 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
GoofyDoo
Missing Orlando...

Talking We're off to see the World! A Wish TR w/ pics from BigGive, Days 1-7, and PhotoPass!

Shortcuts:
Big Give outfits & pixie dust from the DISBoutiquers, pages 6 -14
Make-A-Wish send-off party
Overview of our adventures!
Day 1, Part 1 -- the flight to Orlando / GKTW
Day 1, Part 2-3 -- GKTW
Day 2, Part 1-2 -- Magic Kingdom
Day 2, Part 3 -- Magic Kingdom
Day 3, Part 1-2 -- Universal Studios / Islands of Adventure / Christmas at GKTW
Day 4, Part 1-2 -- Animal Kingdom / Disney Hollywood Studios
Day 5, Part 1-5 -- Universal Studios / Islands of Adventure
Day 6, Part 1 -- EPCOT
Day 6, Part 2-4 -- EPCOT / Magic Kingdom
Day 6, Part 5-6 -- Magic Kingdom
Day 6, Part 7-8 -- Magic Kingdom
Day 7, Part 1-4 -- GKTW / SeaWorld / the flight HOME!
PhotoPass pics from Disney!

The pre-trip report starts here:
OK, due to the encouragement of my fellow posters on the Wish Trippers Unite thread, I've decided to go for it and do a pre-trip report! Our dates are set for Tuesday, July 29, through August 4, 2008, and we are bound for Florida thanks to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. We are a family of six, which includes my husband (43) and me (36-ugh!), a daughter (14), a son (11), and twins--another daughter (8) and the star of the show, a son, Clay (formerly known on the boards as "CJ") (8). We are so excited to be staying at Give Kids the World Village as I have been so very impressed with everything I've heard and read. In fact, when I first read the story of GKTW's founder, Henri Landwirth, I was moved to tears and retold the story to anyone who would listen. The second thing I did was purchase a paving stone in my son's honor in hopes that it will be ready to show to him once we arrive there. I would love to have his picture beside it, but we'll be cutting it close. I did purchase the stone twelve weeks before we are to be there (which is how long the website says to allow for the engraving to be completed), but they are currently running up to a month behind. It never hurts to hope and pray, though, does it? I haven't told anyone I purchased a paving stone--not even my husband. I want it to be a surprise. On my list of definite things to do before we leave is finish reading Henri Landwirth's biography, which GKTW sent to me after my donation.

Moving on, a little about Clay: he was born with mild cerebral palsy. Although he wasn't actually diagnosed until eighteen months of age, we noticed a problem at about five months, which was made all the more dramatic by the fact that he has always had a very aggressive twin. Very early on, he began receiving physical and occupational therapy and things were going well until Clay was six. In the middle of his kindergarten year something happened that I hoped and prayed never would--the brain damage began causing him to have seizures. At first they were partial complex seizures (staring or "blanking out" spells), but then they progressed to petit mal and finally grand mal. After trying a few meds with some not-so-lovely side effects, we have found the perfect med for him, and he has been seizure-free for two years, praise God.

We have struggled--especially my husband has struggled--with being able to accept the generosity of the Make-a-Wish Foundation and everyone else who is making this trip possible for us, but when I think of what he's been through and what he goes through every day, I do feel that he deserves it! He is mobile, but he does walk with a limp and does not have full use of his right hand. He does well in school, but it's no picnic for him. He is a great reader, but he does struggle with math and other problem-solving activities. I'm so glad that he tries the way he does, though. I am very, very proud of him. I'm also proud of his siblings. They are amazing in the way they watch out for him. I know why God gave him a twin, and I know why He gave Clay his particular twin. She is a bossy thang!! But boy does she watch out for him! I truly have amazing kids, and I'll shut up now about them.

I've posted these pics before on the Wish Trippers Unite thread, but I'll post them here again:

Clay & his twin sis, Shay Lynne:

Older bro, Ty & sis, Madison:

And I have to post this pic of Ty and Madison at WDW in 1999 (just can't help it...aren't they cute? I'm taking a comparison pic in a few weeks!):

And here is Clay at the Texas Motor Speedway recently--he was invited to the final day of the Corvette Classic by Make-A-Wish, during which he got to ride in this driver's Corvette and race around the track!

Thanks for reading!! More about our proposed itinerary, etc., later....

Last edited by GoofyDoo; 09-03-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:59 PM   #2
Iluvmickeymouse!
Proud mama to a DD who beat HLH

I can't believe how many MAW trip reports we have going...I am never going to get anything done!! Great start, I can't wait to read more (poor housework will just have to wait!!! )
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2008, 06:50 AM   #3
Robin+5
Mouseketeer

Great TR. I can't wait to hear more. Isn't this site great. I find myself on the computer all the time now.

Robin
Old 07-01-2008, 06:52 AM   #4
bex271
Mouseketeer

Those are great pictures, dh liked the one with corvette. You have a couple of cute kids.

becca
Old 07-01-2008, 07:21 AM   #5
GoofyDoo
Missing Orlando...

Clay's Wish

So I suppose I should talk a little about Clay's wish. Like many, I never dreamed that he would qualify for a Wish until I learned that the child's condition no longer has to be terminal, but "life-threatening". I was perusing the MAW website one weekend this past spring and found their online nomination form, so I thought, "what could it hurt?". I was taken aback when I got a call back from our local MAW chapter that very next Monday! I even explained that I was merely inquiring, that we have been very fortunate and Clay is doing great now, that I know how fortunate we truly are compared to how it could be... (I even started crying on the phone!!). The very sweet girl explained to me that they are not the ones who actually qualify children for wishes, but the children's physicians do, so I gave her the name of our pediatric neurologist, along with his contact information...and the rest is history. It was about a week or ten days later that we found that beautiful, fat Make-a-Wish envelope in the mailbox!! I opened it with shaky hands to read that Clay had been approved for a wish! OMGosh!!!

The next stage was to meet with the wish granter. He came out about three weeks later with a HUGE box of K'nex (which Clay loves as he is obsessed with such toys). I am still kicking myself for forgetting to take a picture. How could I have done that? I am one of these people with back problems from carrying around my heavy camera in my purse at all times!!! Oh, well. I should mention what we went through in preparation for this meeting, though. It seemed that Clay would wish for all kinds of crazy things, from Chuck E. Cheese to a visit to a local waterpark in our area!! It was really difficult to get him to think on a grander scale while at the same time ensuring that it was truly his wish. Then there was the complication of Disney World vs. Disney Land. He had heard of both, yet he kept getting the two confused and used the terms interchangeably. I, however, had already heard of GKTW, so I knew it just had to be the World for his Wish Trip, at least (although we do intend to check out the Land, eventually!!). Then my fourteen-year-old daughter piped up and said something about the Nickelodeon Hotel being in Orlando, and Clay being the Sponge Bob freak that he is, that was all she wrote. Great. His wish suddenly then became "to stay at the Nickelodeon Hotel and go to Disney World". That sounded like two wishes to us, and I just wasn't sure how it would work out, and I was just worried to death about his (our) missing out on GKTW, so I just fretted about it for days. But when the wish coordinator met with Clay, he really knew what he was doing! He talked to him for a long time about what he likes and enjoys. Clay told him that he loves Spiderman, Goofy, Mickey Mouse, Scooby Doo, SpongeBob, Peter Pan, pirates, and I've forgotten what all. So they gave him a choice between the Nick Hotel and just Disney, or staying at GKTW and getting in to Universal and Sea World, too. Staying at the Nick Hotel would not have afforded us the opportunities to meet all of Clay's beloved characters as will GKTW due to their partnerships with Disney, Universal, and SeaWorld. Since there are so many things we want to see at Universal, we are really excited about going there, too, although Disney definitely will take priority!!! And so when we laid it all out for him (and even drew him a map or two to make it all visual), Clay decided to stay at GKTW. Oh, and I might've shown him an awesome picture of GKTW or two to help convince him. Sue me!! It was for his own good!!! Besides, I need some of that ice cream!! One thing is for sure, though: now that we are not staying at the Nickelodeon Hotel, we have to be sure and meet SpongeBob somewhere!!! Clay is expecting that!! And we've explained that we can take him to the Nick Hotel someday on our own, but GKTW is only for special Wish Trip kids and their families. YAY! We're going there!! In less than a month!!!

Last edited by GoofyDoo; 07-09-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:25 AM   #6
GoofyDoo
Missing Orlando...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmickeymouse! View Post
I can't believe how many MAW trip reports we have going...I am never going to get anything done!! Great start, I can't wait to read more (poor housework will just have to wait!!! )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin+5 View Post
Great TR. I can't wait to hear more. Isn't this site great. I find myself on the computer all the time now.

Robin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bex271 View Post
Those are great pictures, dh liked the one with corvette. You have a couple of cute kids.

becca
Thanks for reading, y'all!! I know I can get a little wordy!!! xo
~Amy
Old 07-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
bigdisgrandma
Mouseketeer

My goodness, here it is July 1st. It's your month to go. Our family is so excited for you all. Great report so far!

Denise
Port Orleans Riverside June 2002
Pop Century Nov 2005, Jan 2008

Karlyn's Wish is Coming True
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1868674
Old 07-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
HeatherN
Dreaming of Disney

Oh boy, I am so excited for you!!!!!! CJ sounds like such a neat kid. I really hope we do get the chance to meet at GKTW! I had exactly the same reaction about that thick envelope, my hands were shaking too, and then I burst into tears after reading it. I have a feeling I am going to be a blubbering mess the whole time we are there!

When you wish upon a star- Hannah's Make a Wish trip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1852434
Old 07-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #9
GoofyDoo
Missing Orlando...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdisgrandma View Post
My goodness, here it is July 1st. It's your month to go. Our family is so excited for you all. Great report so far!

Denise
Thank you!!! My two youngest have been asking and asking whether it's July yet. Today I can finally say "YES!"!!!
Old 07-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #10
GoofyDoo
Missing Orlando...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherN View Post
Oh boy, I am so excited for you!!!!!! CJ sounds like such a neat kid. I really hope we do get the chance to meet at GKTW! I had exactly the same reaction about that thick envelope, my hands were shaking too, and then I burst into tears after reading it. I have a feeling I am going to be a blubbering mess the whole time we are there!
Oh, girl, I hear you!!! I seriously cannot read one single trip report--nor can I even think about a volunteer or CM's kindness to us while we're there--without becoming a water fountain!!! What will I do? My eyes will be red in every picture!!! But then again, I'm always the one taking pictures, so that won't be a problem, I'm sure!! It is truly overwhelming, isn't it?? When my kids wake up (the sleepyheads), I'm going to show them the pics of your kids and tell them their names so that they'll know we have to be on the lookout for y'all at GKTW!!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #11
twinmum
DIS Veteran

Yay! Another trip report! Our Wish Trip is not until November, so I'm using these to keep the excitement building. And yes, sometimes I think I am more excited about the trip than our wish kid and his twin brother, but I think that's because of everything I have learned from reading here. While I have shared some info, I don't want to build up our twins' hopes too much, in case certain things don't happen.

Amy, your CJ is making me think of our Mark - some similarities, but differences too. Our twins were born at 26 weeks, and Mark has cerebral palsy, deemed to be "moderate" because he does rely on a walker/wheelchair for mobility. He's got some other medical issues and relies to a feeding tube to supplement his nutrition. Although his reading is phenomenal, the demands of Grade 4 did bring out some frustrations in math and writing - he uses a computer and just couldn't keyboard fast enough to keep up with his ideas!

We have a number of friends whose kids have seizures, so I can appreciate how scary that can be. I remember waiting, and waiting, hoping we wouldn't see the onset of seizures and finally feeling relieved by about Grade 1 that he was being spared this.

I am SO EXCITED for you, and wishing that our trip was sooner...but it will be wonderful to leave cold and possibly snowy Toronto for the Florida sun on November 1st.

I'll write a pre-trip eventually, but it all seems so far away...

Alison
Old 07-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #12
GoofyDoo
Missing Orlando...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmum View Post
Yay! Another trip report! Our Wish Trip is not until November, so I'm using these to keep the excitement building. And yes, sometimes I think I am more excited about the trip than our wish kid and his twin brother, but I think that's because of everything I have learned from reading here. While I have shared some info, I don't want to build up our twins' hopes too much, in case certain things don't happen.

Amy, your CJ is making me think of our Mark - some similarities, but differences too. Our twins were born at 26 weeks, and Mark has cerebral palsy, deemed to be "moderate" because he does rely on a walker/wheelchair for mobility. He's got some other medical issues and relies to a feeding tube to supplement his nutrition. Although his reading is phenomenal, the demands of Grade 4 did bring out some frustrations in math and writing - he uses a computer and just couldn't keyboard fast enough to keep up with his ideas!

We have a number of friends whose kids have seizures, so I can appreciate how scary that can be. I remember waiting, and waiting, hoping we wouldn't see the onset of seizures and finally feeling relieved by about Grade 1 that he was being spared this.

I am SO EXCITED for you, and wishing that our trip was sooner...but it will be wonderful to leave cold and possibly snowy Toronto for the Florida sun on November 1st.

I'll write a pre-trip eventually, but it all seems so far away...

Alison
Alison, I think our boys probably do have a great deal in common! My twins were born at 35 weeks, which is great for twins, and it was determined that in Clay's ("CJ's") case, the damaged occurred in the womb, well before birth. But as far as the cognitive issues, we have found that the older he gets, the more challenges he has faced. He will be in third grade, and things are leveling out, however. But I would have to say that math and writing will probably always be a struggle. He does OK, just has to work extra hard and does so willingly, I'm happy to say. As for typing/keyboarding, I don't know how it will go.... But for now we deal with it all and count our blessings, and we just generally feel grateful for how well he does.

I'll be interested to see how his twin sister reacts in light of all that will be done for Clay on this trip. I'll let you know how that goes. For one thing, she really wants to meet the princesses, and obviously this is not one of his priorities, but I've told him "too bad"!! Your sister wants to meet them, and you are going to let them kiss you on the cheek, too, so I can get some cute pics!!!!

Last edited by GoofyDoo; 07-09-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #13
twinmum
DIS Veteran

Guess I know how we're both spending this morning! I was so excited to find more pre-trip reports!

I share your concern about the non-Wish twin feeling left out, or not that special. Mark's twin Douglas' life has also been seriously affected by Mark's disability. And besides, he too bears some of the scars of extreme pre-maturity. In fact, he spent longer in the NICU than his brother did!

With twin boys, we find that their interests are very similar. It makes planning the WDW trip easier, but it also means there aren't such distinct activities like seeing the princesses that we can designate as being Douglas' special "thing." He does like more intense rides than his brother, but there's an incentive to stick together as (OK, I'll admit it), we're not used to spending a long time in line. On our last trip, Douglas and my hubby headed out to the parks early one day to beat the rush and do some things that Mark wouldn't/couldn't do, but had trouble fitting in a lot...those GAC's work wonders!.

I know this wish trip is Mark's wish trip, but Douglas is such a trooper...I just hope he isn't overwhelmed by all the attention his brother may receive. He deserves something special too.

Looking forward to hearing about your twin experiences!
Alison
Old 07-01-2008, 12:05 PM   #14
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

The Start of a GREAT TRIP REPORT

Wow Amy!

You really hit the ground running with your TR. I am impressed to say the least. Great job!

You did not mention that I ruthlessly nagged you about starting your Pre Trip Report. I love reading what you write.

Don't worry too much about being teary-eyed at the Pixie Dust and Magic that will come your way. If you are like most of us, you will be too dazed to cry right at the time. There were times when I was in SHOCK at the kindness (and I am a child of the kindly west).

You are going to have a BLAST! Save the crying for night time; no wait, that is the time for soaking in the GKTW Villa Whirlpool bath. That is pretty much a necessity after days on the Theme Park asphalt. Don't miss a chance, though, to take an walk in the dark of the night around the GKTW courtyards to see how lovely the magic lights are. Throw in a visit to the chapel as well. I spent some time there just giving thanks for Lysi being alive and strong and for the wish trip..... oh yeah... you get to cry a lot at that time.

Bill
Old 07-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #15
GoofyDoo
Missing Orlando...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Lin View Post
Throw in a visit to the chapel as well. I spent some time there just giving thanks for Lysi being alive and strong and for the wish trip..... oh yeah... you get to cry a lot at that time.

Bill
Here I go blubbering again, Bill....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: