Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
dor1
Mouseketeer

Vero Beach - Noseeums?

Hi all-we are spending 3 nights at VB in july and im wondering if anyone can give me advise me on how to counter the infamous noseeums.
Ive posted on the american site and most people are saying to use avons skin so soft bug guard which i cant find on any british site.
Also travelling with a baby so will need something for him as well.
Many thanks in advance
Dave & family.
2007-DVC owners at SSR
2008-SSR-Vero Beach-AKV
2010-SSR-Polynesian
2012-SSR-Cocoa-OKW

dor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

The Bug Guard isn't sold in the UK, but the original Soft & Fresh Dry Oil Spray is supposed to work just as well. This is the product which got the reputation as an insect repellent before the Bug Guard was introduced. It contains citronella. I would guess this would be OK to use on a baby (as opposed to something containing DEET which would be the alternative for adults).

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake TowerJanuary 2015 ~ Four Seasons Golden Oak/Bay Lake Tower
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2008, 01:10 AM   #3
TinkTatoo
Has a Tink tattoo on her shoulder
Hooked on Disney Cruises

I got badly bitten on my legs last year and had about 50 - 60 bites each leg which became infected They were very itchy and sore for about 4 or 5 days and it took weeks for the bites to totally disappear. It was unlucky that I was allergic to them and for most people the bites only last a day or two also I was the only one in my group that got bitten (those noseums have good taste

My advice would be to avoid being out during dusk and dawn and find something that will protect the baby, something that will cover his / her arms & legs and use a repellant on yourselves

TinkTatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:11 AM   #4
Pootle

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkTatoo View Post
I got badly bitten on my legs last year and had about 50 - 60 bites each leg which became infected They were very itchy and sore for about 4 or 5 days and it took weeks for the bites to totally disappear. It was unlucky that I was allergic to them and for most people the bites only last a day or two also I was the only one in my group that got bitten (those noseums have good taste

My advice would be to avoid being out during dusk and dawn and find something that will protect the baby, something that will cover his / her arms & legs and use a repellant on yourselves
This happened to my friend too - she was very badly affected and it took her weeks to get rid of the bites, but for me it was just a few days.

Of my many visits to VB this has only happened to me once but I think the advice given above is excellent.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
BeverlyJ
Little Natasha is my world.

I also suffered badly a couple of years ago at Vero Beach. I was fine last year though, following 2 rules:

1. I used Avon skin so soft shower wash, then sprayed the oil on too.
2. Avoided dawn/dusk - but where I couldn't avoid it (e.g. campfire), I just covered legs and arms.

Enjoy your trip to VB - it's wonderful!!

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/m66109w9g1xlib88.png[/img]

BeverlyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
Hilary
There's always something new to learn!

My GP recommended we take some antihistamine tablets with us in case, depsite all preventative measures, we get bitten.

Eldest DD and I are always bitten at least a couple of times every trip to Florida (apart from one New Year when it was really cold!), so I asked our GP what we could do to prevent the bites. He couldn't help on that front, other than recommend the usual citronella or deet, but advised taking antihistamine to reduce the reaction to any bites we do get.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
paulh
likes to have a beer
Guiness?

the outher night, while picking DS up from scouts at middlewood(as wooded as it sounds) a lady got out a little zapper about 3 inch long(75mm),which everytime she got bit, she would press it on the bite and inject a tiny amount of antihistame.said it was good for a 1,000shots and got it from boots didnt ask what it was caled sory.would be ok for adults and kids not too sure about babys
Paulh
been going since 1992 sayed offtite a few years then at ASMovies,ASmusic,ASsports,Pop,Caribiean beach.coranardo springs,port orleans,beach club,wildernes lodge,AK lodge,Vero beah,Hilton head island,Disneyland hotel ca,paradice pier ca and fav saratoga springs resort all in no particular order and how can i forget the disney 7 night cruise

"Fire. The Greatest Invention of Mankind. Beer. A Close Second."
paulh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:51 AM   #8
TinkTatoo
Has a Tink tattoo on her shoulder
Hooked on Disney Cruises

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulh View Post
the outher night, while picking DS up from scouts at middlewood(as wooded as it sounds) a lady got out a little zapper about 3 inch long(75mm),which everytime she got bit, she would press it on the bite and inject a tiny amount of antihistame.said it was good for a 1,000shots and got it from boots didnt ask what it was caled sory.would be ok for adults and kids not too sure about babys
Paulh
That sounds like a good idea but the problem with the Noseeums (as the name suggests) is that they are so small that you don't see um or realise they've bitten you until the next day

TinkTatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:47 AM   #9
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

Those little zapper gadgets don't work on me. In any event, they are designed to control the symptoms of the bite, rather than stop the insects from getting you in the first place. It's probably worth investing in one for any which slip through the net, so to speak, but it's not really an alternative to a repellent.

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake TowerJanuary 2015 ~ Four Seasons Golden Oak/Bay Lake Tower
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:59 AM   #10
WDWfan,uk
.... but you can call me Shirley :)
move over Alex and hand me the controls

Not a DVC member but I have stayed at Vero Beach and I was bitten by the "noseeums" soon after arrival - I had packed the citronella mixture & the So Soft in my luggage, so did not get to it before they got to me!

I applied it from then on and did not get bitten at all - I would ask a pharmacist or homeopath for a citronella mixture - an oily consistency works well - that is safe for your little one. Ours did not contain deet and worked well enough.

For adults, Jungle Formula works well.

I used a zapper from Boots recently and it didn't work at all.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: