Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2008, 09:34 PM   #16
Tonya2426
Follow me to the next stop for a tasty treat!

Day 1, Part 5 - Glazed Over From Hunger

Day 1, Part 5 - Glazed Over From Hunger

When I last left you, Mom and I and Flat Brody had finally gotten into our room at ASSp and spent just enough time in the room to make sure that the value resorts still used scratchy toilet paper and see if our hair was good enough. Besides our car was still parked at the curb so we needed to get moving.

Next stop was Shades of Green. Mom’s AP was still good but I needed a new AP and if you are eligible for SOG tickets then this is the way to go for AP - no taxes!!! It saves about $40.

And I am happy to report that I did not miss the exit to MK this time. But on our way to SOG Mom checked the onboard computer a few times just to make sure we were still low on gas. We were still low on gas in case you were insterested.

You will pleased to know that the security at SOG is still strong and tight. Knowing in advance that my mother would need to show her military ID, she had it ready to show the guard. Mom is always prepared. What can I say? Like mother like daughter.

Of course in addition to the preparedness gene Mom also passed on the annoying trait of hiccuping on the first bite of a McDonald’s hamburger. It sounds weird but it is true. The first time it happened to me I was in my car after getting a drive-thru Happy Meal on my way back to work. I was at a traffic light happily eating my cheeseburger - after all isn’t being happy while eating your Happy Meal supposed to happen - and I hiccuped. It took me by total shock and I actually spoke the words "I’ve become my mother!!!" Strange how these things happen.

Anyways, I was in some way dreading the whole process of going to SOG to get my new AP. The last time we went to SOG for tickets it was early in the morning and we were directed to park in the parking garage. Being that this is the military I never argue - they have problems with open defiance for some reason.

The SOG parking garage is fine but you usually have to drive up to the 3rd or 4th floor to find a parking place and it is quite a trek through the building back to the lobby - or any of the rooms we have ever been assigned while staying there.

But as fate would have it, it was now about 7:30 p.m. and the security guard told us to park in the golf course parking lot since the golf course was closed. I had never even considered this before. It was fabulous!! You are practically at the front doors to SOG. I’m going to remember this little trick the next time I am there even if it means I will have to openly defy the SOG security guard who works on behalf of the DOD.

Here is Flat Brody enjoying his first look at being in the military - even if it is at Disney World.

We found the Ticket & Attractions desk where they left it the last time. Since we were having such good luck today, there was only one person ahead of us and he was almost done with his business.

With my new AP voucher in hand, Mom and I checked out the PX next door to see if they had any souvenirs that we might be interested in but mainly to see if they had any Crocs for me. (My favorite pink Crocs had worn out so it was time for a new pair.) But the PX only had children’s Crocs so I would have to wait until later.

It is getting way past dinner time by now and I can tell Mom is starting to wane slightly from hunger and lack of coffee and we still need to gas up the car. So we make the short trip back to the car and exit SOG to make our way to the Hess Station outside of the MK.

Gas is only $3.53 a gallon. Woohoo!!! Did you ever think someone would be happy that gas was $3.53? These times are a changin’.

As a general rule, Mom and Me Trips always start with a trip to Downtown Disney for dinner at Earl of Sandwich and some shopping at World of Disney. This trip was no exception.

And I am happy to report that I found my way to DTD without any problems. I even remembered to turn into the correct parking lot.

DTD has those electronic signs letting you know which parking lots are full and which are open. I ignore those signs. Call me a rebel if you will. But I ignore them because if you follow those signs you would be at the West End of DTD and have to walk a mile or so just to get to Earl of Sandwich and have to walk a mile or so to get back to your car. This is just too much walking this early in the trip. We need to save our strength for the Parks. (My walking never killed anyone saying does not apply to DTD.)

And besides, I have always found a parking place in Parking Lot 1 - which the signs always say is closed.

As luck would have it, today was no exception. A parking place was found in the third row will minimal stalkerish behavior.

By this point Mom had almost completely glazed over so food was our first priority. We quickly made our way over to Earl of Sandwich which was packed. I should have suspected this since the PPP was that night and that means all of the people who were at MK and got kicked out at 7 p.m. eventually make their way over to DTD.

But no mind - we are patient and wait our turn. It amused me to watch the table trollers and Mom and I needed to decided what to order.

Decisions, decisions!! We usually order The Original 1762 and The All American and split them. But this trip was about trying new things so we decided on The Original 1762 and The Full Montagu.

Go ahead. You can say it. These ladies are rebels ordering The Full Montagu instead of The All American!!!

I know, I know. What can I say except that we are living on the edge.

I am not sure what kind of bread Earl of Sandwich uses but whatever it is I would trade my first born for it - if I had a first born, of course. It is perfect bread and I could eat it everyday for the rest of me life. Yummmmmmmm.

Even Flat Brody enjoyed the sandwiches.

Next trip we will be going back to The All American instead of The Full Montagu. Nothing is wrong with The Full Montagu. It was a very nice sandwich but nothing extra special except for the bread and we can get the bread on The All American. Besides, I just love cranberries with turkey that The All American provides.

Having scarfed down our sandwiches and caffeinated ourselves - Mom with coffee and me with Diet Coke - it is time to do a little shopping.

Next installment - The Quest for Postcards.

DIS Unplugged Cruise - DCL Wonder 4 day - 12/12/10 ~WDW- Grand Floridian - July 2010 ~ABD Backstage Magic w/DIS Unplugged - 4/13/10 ~ WDW - Pop/Dolphin - Dec 2009- DAP ~ - WDW -Oct 2009 -F&W- SSR ~ DIS Unplugged Cruise - DCL Wonder 4 day - 5/10/09 ~ WDW - Pop - Dec 2008- Mousefest ~ WDW- DTD Hilton - Sept 18, 2008 -MNSSHP ~ WDW- Grand Floridian - July 2008 ~ WDW- ASSports/Swan- April 2008 ~ WDW - Pop - Dec 2007- MVMCP - WDW - Oct 2007 -MNSSHP- ASMusic ~ Surprise WDW Birthday Trip - August 2007 - PPP - SSR ~ DCL Wonder - 4 day - 5/27/07 ~ WDW - SOG - March 2007 ~ WDW - Marriott World Ctr- January 2007 ~ WDW - SOG - October 2005 ~ WDW - Grandma's House - April 2005 ~ Contemporary Resort Merchandise CM - 1989 ~ Lost count of WDW visits since Grandma lived in Orlando since before the park was opened and I was there the year the MK opened - they had a chance to purchase the original WDW stock but thought it was too risky so they turned it down - darn, I could have been an heiress
Old 05-31-2008, 09:54 AM   #17
whogirl'smom
Any leftover grumpiness can be taken care of by a little wine
Like a box of Cheez-its, I couldn't put it down

We do eventually become our mothers, don't we? It must be the turning 40 thing! The sandwiches look really good. We started to eat at E of S on our last trip, but I couldn't stand the smell in there! Is that weird, or what?

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2008, 01:42 PM   #18
Tonya2426

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogirl'smom View Post
We do eventually become our mothers, don't we? It must be the turning 40 thing! The sandwiches look really good. We started to eat at E of S on our last trip, but I couldn't stand the smell in there! Is that weird, or what?
Becoming you mother does happen no matter how hard you try . No offense to my mother, of course. I just don't want to get older and every hiccup just reminds me that I am older.

Isn't that weird the EoS's smell turned you off? I wonder if next time you could send someone in to order for you so you don't have to go inside and then you could eat outside. That way you could eat the sandwiches but not have to smell the restaurant. Seems like a lot of trouble just for a sandwich but The Original 1762 is that good - and I don't even like roast beef sandwiches.

DIS Unplugged Cruise - DCL Wonder 4 day - 12/12/10 ~WDW- Grand Floridian - July 2010 ~ABD Backstage Magic w/DIS Unplugged - 4/13/10 ~ WDW - Pop/Dolphin - Dec 2009- DAP ~ - WDW -Oct 2009 -F&W- SSR ~ DIS Unplugged Cruise - DCL Wonder 4 day - 5/10/09 ~ WDW - Pop - Dec 2008- Mousefest ~ WDW- DTD Hilton - Sept 18, 2008 -MNSSHP ~ WDW- Grand Floridian - July 2008 ~ WDW- ASSports/Swan- April 2008 ~ WDW - Pop - Dec 2007- MVMCP - WDW - Oct 2007 -MNSSHP- ASMusic ~ Surprise WDW Birthday Trip - August 2007 - PPP - SSR ~ DCL Wonder - 4 day - 5/27/07 ~ WDW - SOG - March 2007 ~ WDW - Marriott World Ctr- January 2007 ~ WDW - SOG - October 2005 ~ WDW - Grandma's House - April 2005 ~ Contemporary Resort Merchandise CM - 1989 ~ Lost count of WDW visits since Grandma lived in Orlando since before the park was opened and I was there the year the MK opened - they had a chance to purchase the original WDW stock but thought it was too risky so they turned it down - darn, I could have been an heiress
Old 06-01-2008, 08:43 PM   #19
Tonya2426

Day 1, Part 6 - Are these the only postcards they have?

Day 1, Part 6 - Are these the only postcards they have?

Having been fed and watered, we had a renewed energy. World of Disney here we come!!!!

WoD is the mecca of Disney shopping AND you get a discount with your AP and/or Disney Visa!!! Doesn’t get much better than that.

But wait!!! Dad had made a request for pins to complete his collection. Neither of us really understood how a few pins would complete his collection but we said we would get him pins. But he only wanted limited edition pins.

My Dad has is a hobby collector similar to the hobbies themselves. He has had lots of them over the years - stamp collecting, coin collecting, beer can collecting, building electronics in the 70's, Civil War reenactments (thankfully this one never really lasted), collecting Department 56, growing orchids which required that he build a greenhouse half the size of my house, and the list goes on and on and on. It doesn’t take much to get him interested in a hobby. It just requires a tiny bit of interest and he is off and running. The Disney pin collecting - he doesn’t trade, only collects - started on our Disney Cruise last year.

So Mom and I stopped by Disney’s Pin Traders on our way to WoD to see what was available. We weren’t going to buy any pins there since we knew that we got a discount at WoD and that we would have several opportunities to buy pins the rest of the trip. We did find lots of pins we were interested in for Dad’s collection and for a few for ourselves.

Even Flat Brody got into pin trading. Although I wouldn’t actually buy him the Official Pin Trading Badge since it was sort of expensive - and I don’t wear a lanyard so what would actually be the point.

After doing our recognizance work at Disney’s Pin Traders, we felt free to do our own shopping at WoD. My little heart was all aflutter at just the thought at being in the Superstore of Disney where I even get a discount. It’s the little things in life that make life worth living.

But before we made it to WoD, we had to make a brief detour to the Ghiradelli shop to get our free sample. It was a peanut butter filled sample. Yummmmm!!!! The ice cream parlor was closed for renovations - which ruined my plans for some ice cream for dessert. Don’t worry, it was just God’s way of saying I didn’t need any ice cream and he was right.

Flat Brody about to enter mecca. (Isn't it pretty and twinkly.)

After taking 5 trips to WDW in 2007, there really were no souvenirs that I needed and I was trying to not spend too much money this trip. But I did need a new pair of Crocs. I had tried to get a new pair before I left on the trip but the Hallmark store on the Island didn’t have any good colors in my size. So I decided that it was time to get my first pair of Mickey Crocs.

Can I just say the WoD has a really crappy selection of Mickey Crocs - and Jibbitz for that matter. I’m sure they sell out of things quickly but you can find better selections at most other stores on property. It’s always been this way - not sure why. Guess it just one of those things that is a mystery.

After trying on several pairs I finally decided on the black Mickey Crocs with the red strap and put them in a hand basket. I didn’t have much of a choice in the matter since it was either the black ones or the white ones which remind me of nurse shoes - not the look I was going for.

We went over to look for a latte mug that Mom had chipped and wanted to replace. But alas it is no longer available. And we only bought it this past October. That Disney Merchandise Department - they are always changing things up.

We did find the rice krispy treats though. There weren’t any of the ones in fun shapes for the holidays since it was sort of in between holidays so we decided on the big bricks of rice krispy treats. Mom takes them back to the office for the staff. We decided several Mom and Me trips ago that people really don’t need knickknacks from a trip that they didn’t actually take - even if it was from Disney World - but that food was a very nice trip souvenir. It shows that you thought of them but you aren’t requiring them to use a pen with a crown and marabou cap on it.

I do wonder what ingredient they put in those big bricks of rice krispy treats to make them so soft and chewy and wonderful. I wish the ones I make at home were as good. Just another one of those mysteries of life.

Then on to the small selection of pins on display at WoD.

Have I mentioned that the store is especially busy tonight? People were just milling around and blocking the aisles with strollers. And worse yet they were blocking the pin display area. Very frustrating, indeed.

Finally after what seemed like an eternity of jostling for position, there was a parting of the crowd and we took the opportunity to be on the front row of the pin display. We even found a few of the pins we were looking for from our recognizance mission and Mom found a pin for each of the grandchildren’s pin collection. So, we are off to a good start.

Now, off to find postcards for the grandchildren. I had remembered to bring stamps and the addresses were stored on my mobile phone. (We can never remember my sister’s zip code.) This should have been the easy part of our shopping excursion. But it wasn’t. There were probably only about 6 individual postcard and 3 postcard books to chose from. Hmmmmmmph.

Don’t people send postcards anymore? I have to assume with the selection available at WoD (and all over property) that people don’t . This is a shame because it was always very exciting as a child to get a postcard from my parents or grandparents. I even like to get them now. It is nice to know that people on trips take time out of their journey to remember you.

Back in the day when I was a CM we had about 50 different postcards to choose from. And I should know. It was my job to keep the rack in order and restocked. It was an enormous responsibility, I assure you.

Oh well, maybe it has something to do with the fact that postcards always show up after the trip taker has returned from the trip.

We picked out two postcards and decided to find another one tomorrow morning for my youngest nephew. Most of the postcards were of princesses and we didn’t think my 6 year old nephew would appreciate it if we sent him a postcard of Cinderella.

The original plan was that Mom and I would both write on the postcards and drop them in the mail tomorrow. More on that later.

Since there were people and strollers everywhere it was difficult to tell who was in line to check out and who was just hanging out. But we finally found a cashier that didn’t have a line a mile long and paid for our loot. I think we saved about $20 with our WoD discount.

We took the long walk - about 1 minute - back to our car and easily found our way back to ASSp for our first night in the World. Don't be too impressed there really aren't any signs to follow from DTD to ASSp.

Next installment - Follow the Rules or Be a Rebel

Last edited by Tonya2426; 06-01-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #20
whogirl'smom

Jealous, jealous! Five trips in one year! I like postcards, too. DD always sends them to grandparents whenever we're on a trip. We buy them the first day in hopes that they will beat us home.

Your dad sounds like quite a collector! What pins did you finally decide on for him?

Old 06-02-2008, 12:12 AM   #21
Tonya2426

Quote:
Jealous, jealous! Five trips in one year! I like postcards, too. DD always sends them to grandparents whenever we're on a trip. We buy them the first day in hopes that they will beat us home.

Your dad sounds like quite a collector! What pins did you finally decide on for him?
Last year was a very Disney year for me - and if true be told 2007 actually included a Disney Cruise on top of the 5 trips. That many trips in one year is unlikely to happen again - but I wish it would since it was fun.

Dad's collecting can get a bit out of control. Currently he has started stamp collecting again. And thanks to ebay we may have to do an intervention - it is getting a little bit our of control. He says he is just starting to gear up for his retirement - I think my Mom may have to leave him if he actually retires though.
If my memory serves me correctly, we ended up getting Dad a grumpy mood stone pin, 3 of the Mickey gazette reporter pins, an eticket pin, and about 5 more that I can't remember right now. Not all of them are Limited Edition - we broke the rules. I know Mom and I each got the AK 10th anniversary AP pin and Flower and Garden pins.

It is all foggy in my brain right now but i am going to visit this weekend for my niece's birthday so I will try to get a picture of Dad's collecting problems.

But now that I think of it I will have to go back to visit the following weekend also for Father's Day. (Let's hope the price of gas goes down soon!!! Or the only gift Dad may get is being around me. )

Old 06-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #23
Tonya2426

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanyosh View Post
Bow Wow...I'm in.
Thanks for joining in Jordan!!

But I must confess I am a bit nervous that my TR Inspiration is following the exploits of Flat Brody. The pressure to be exceedingly entertaining has just increased!!!!

Old 06-02-2008, 11:22 PM   #25
Tonya2426

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanyosh View Post
WoD...not my favorite store. I like MouseGear better....

Mouse Gear is a great place to shop also. You can usually find good Jibbitz there. And during the holidays Mouse Gear has lots of seasonal stuff to spend money on.

But then again WoD has the 15% discount.

Can you tell I don't have any problems shopping my way around WDW? (Probably because I have already done it a few times.)

Old 06-02-2008, 11:23 PM   #26
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonya2426 View Post
Mousegear is a great place to shop also. You can usually find good Jibbitz there. And during the holidays Mousegears has lots of seasonal stuff to spend money on.

But then again WoD has the 15% discount.

Can you tell I don't have any problems shopping my way around WDW? (Probably because I have already done it a few times.)
I don't either.....I have my favorite stores at each park......
Old 06-02-2008, 11:43 PM   #27
Tonya2426

Day 1, Part 7 - Follow the Rules or Be a Rebel?

Day 1, Part 7 - Follow the Rules or Be a Rebel?

After a successful drive back to ASSp - and by successful I mean I didnít miss any vague directional signs - we parked the car in the small parking lot that is not really close to our building. And we even had to park in the back of the parking lot. What can I say, the ASSp parking gods had no love for me.

Back in the clean and cheerful and thankfully quiet room we settled down to decide which park to go to tomorrow. This is a big decision that could make or break the entire first day of our trip - so I decided to break out the bottle of Rosa Regale I brought for just an occasion like this. (Like I said - I like to be prepared.)

Our last Mom and Me Trip was during Epcotís Food & Wine Festival where Mom and I discovered the joys of a nice glass of Rosa Regale while we waited for a wine tasting. (By the way, it goes great with Mickey pretzels.) It is now "our" drink. But oddly enough my sister discovered the joys of Rosa Regale on her own. So maybe if we ever have a Mom and Me and Sis Trip we will make it "all of our" drink.

Drinks in hand, Mom and I reviewed my parks chart of times and recommendations. My research showed that it was best to go to Epcot or Hollywood Studios on the 24th and avoid MK. But the MK had Extra Magic Hours in the morning and I told Mom that I wanted to make it to a few rope drops this trip and what better time to go than when it is EMH.

Decisions, decisions!!!

We had plans for our Epcot tour on Friday morning and that was all we had planned for this trip. But the MK was closing at 7 p.m. on both Friday and Saturday nights for Grad Nights. But the Powers That Be say avoid a park with EMH. It was a hard call but we chose MK.

Call us rebels if you must. I think we just needed a little Fantasyland at dawn.

My Mom was a little doubtful of my abilities to be ready for an EMH rope drop because I am NOT a morning person. I have chronic insomnia and since I have become self-employed my sleep patterns are not that of a normal person. But I assured her that I had been training for this and not to worry because come hell or high water I would be ready at 7:30 a.m.

But just to be ready, I took my shower before I went to bed.

The odd thing is that I kept filling up our glasses with Rosa Regale and neither of us were feeling anything. I donít drink that often but can usually hold my alcohol. However, I definitely should have felt it if I had had as much Rosa Regale as I had had. And Mom!!! She is a total light weight when it comes to drinking - at this point she should have been drunker than a skunk and about ready to pass out. But nothing!! We drank the entire bottle in a relatively short period of time and felt nothing at all. I even checked the alcohol content on the bottleís label to make sure it had alcohol - it did. Oh well, I guess we got weird bottle.

If truth be told, I was kind of hoping the wine would make me sleepy. This isnít something I ever do but I NEVER sleep the first night in a hotel room and I was already sleep deprived. Not sure what it is but I just canít relax enough to snooze in hotel beds. I suppose I should add this to the list of things to talk over with my Sleep Specialist at my next appointment.

Anyways, before I can get in a hotel bed I have to remake the bed. My Mom thinks I am nuts but if a hotel doesnít have fitted bottom sheets then the bed is essentially short sheeted. If you have never noticed before, check it out the next time you are at a hotel. It happens at cheap motels to really expensive hotels. The sheets just donít reach the bottom of the mattress. Since I sleep in the lower 2/3rds of a bed this is a problem. If I donít remake the bed then my feet will touch the mattress and mattress pad and that is just GROSS!!!!

So, I remake the bed to my specifications and it is time to get in to bed for the endless hours of the insomnia hell I live in.

Of course, Mom is already asleep. (Actually she always makes me laugh when she sleeps - she barely moves at all. And in order to roll over she basically sits up and then dramatically turns her body but never wakes up. Ohhhh and she does this little moan noise thing - like she is a distant fog horn with a cold. It makes me laugh out loud. It is surprising she has never woken up since I laugh so much. Come to think of it, I donít think she knows I laugh at her so much. Oh well, maybe she will miss this part of the TR.)

But Flat Brody decides to make sure the bed is comfy first.

Can you tell I like a ton of pillows?

So I have issues with beds. Donít judge me.

Next installment: Finally, Day 2!!!!!

Old 06-03-2008, 07:18 AM   #28
whogirl'smom

That was weird about the wine. Rosa Regale was one I had intended on trying our last trip, but I think I got distracted by a slushie in France! And a margarita. It was really hot in October.

We did MK on a Little Ones EMH morning and loved it. It was only Fantasyland open, which probably kept the crowds down. What's the point of staying onsite if you can't enjoy some extra time, right? I'm looking forward to seeing if it worked out for you, too. We do better with early mornings than late nights; it still amazes me that we made it through MNSSHP till the park closed!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #29
mouseaddicts
WDW - Here we come .... again!!! :)

GM I dropped back by to catch up on Flat Brody & Mom (and Tonya, of course!). I am all caught up now! Sounds like we're off to a great start. Can't wait to ride along ....... and still thinking about my own TR .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonya2426 View Post
Day 1, Part 4 - Well, This Is Building 10 Room 218, Right?

So I quickly glanced in the window and what did I see??? A woman brushing her hair at the bathroom sink. Whoa!!! I back away quickly hoping the woman didnít see me. Luckily she didnít. And grateful she wasnít naked. I would have hated to have been arrested for being a Peeping Tom on the first day of my trip. For some reason I just donít want my first felony to be at WDW.

OMG --- whew, that was a side-splitter!!!

Oh yeah ......... btw, my hair turned out great! (thx for asking)

Old 06-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #30
Tonya2426

Quote:
That was weird about the wine. Rosa Regale was one I had intended on trying our last trip, but I think I got distracted by a slushie in France! And a margarita. It was really hot in October.

We did MK on a Little Ones EMH morning and loved it. It was only Fantasyland open, which probably kept the crowds down. What's the point of staying onsite if you can't enjoy some extra time, right? I'm looking forward to seeing if it worked out for you, too. We do better with early mornings than late nights; it still amazes me that we made it through MNSSHP till the park closed!
Wouldn't you know that I didn't even get a Margarita or a French Slushie this trip!!!!! But more on that later.

Early mornings are better than late nights - although it just about kills me to have to get up so early. The few times we have tried the evening EMH it was a waste of time - the waits were longer than during the daytime. But shopping during evening EMH is pretty good.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: