Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
aksunshine
DIS Veteran

A Bittersweet Return... Winkler's TR ~ Many Pics! Our time is over!

Hi everyone. I've just started getting back on the boards. For those of you who know my background, Levi's birthday was Mother's Day, so May has been a rough month. Those of you who don't know what i am talking about, read on, all will be revealed in short.

So, we are about 3 months out from our next trip to Disney and I decided to start our PTR. Warning: This may be a bumpy ride!

Who is going? Here is our cast!

Me- Alicia- I love Disney, and have succeeded in hooking my family. This will be our third family trip in as many years. Although, I have been 2 other times as a child. Originally, Disney was supposed to be an every 4 year adventure, but we just love it too much. Our last trip was Sept.- Oct. 2007. We had an amazing time and gained memories that we will cherish always. It was our son, Levi's first trip, he was 17 mo. old. Six days after our return, a 19 yo ran a red light and t-boned our car, sending me and my DH to the hospital for 2 weeks. Our daughter was fine, however, we lost our Levi. Levi sustained serious head injury and could not be revived. Our life has been turned upside down since then. We need some happiness, so off to Disney we go!

Last edited by aksunshine; 09-12-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
Bee
Dreaming is what is making me get up each day!

First one checking in

There are no words to express how I am feeling, reading about your loss. Just wanted to give some encouragement to write on...

I will be waiting to hear how Disney might help heal a broken heart.

Bee

1977 Disneyland offsite 1989 WDW Christmas offsite 2003 Disneyland Grand Calif. 2005 WDW 10-22 to 10-27 AsMO also MNSSHP 2005 2005 DCL Wonder 10-27 to 10-30 ] Hoping to return yearly.Now- hoping to go back SOMEDAY... Wishing you a Magical Day[/COLOR] Divorced mother of 2 beautiful DD One 17 one 15 Wilma, forgotten suitcases and cruising Oct 2005
[quit smoking- yay me]
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
aksunshine
DIS Veteran

Dh- Matt- Matt is lovin Disney! Like me, he is worried about going back, but at the same time looking forward to it. Two days ago he got an iphone. He got on Disboards with it! He cracks me up! He is not an amusement park lover, but he knows that Disney is so much more.

DD- Isabelle- Isabelle just turned 6! This will be her thirde trip! She is very excited! She is supposed to be taking a friend, in fact the whole family is going, more on that soon! So she is super excited to show someone else Disney!

DS- Levi- Levi will be with us in Spirit. Sadly, I won't get to see the look on his face when the teacups spin, or his excitment over actually seeing Mickey, his favorite. Things like this make it really hard to think about going back. Levi loved Disney and I am going to be a crying mess while we are there, because of that. I miss him greatly.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
tcuplvr
Mouseketeer

I am single and do not have any children so I cannot possible understand the magnitude of your loss. When I read your post about your upcoming trip the first thing that came to mind was what an amazing, strong woman you must be. While as you say, your trip will be a bittersweet one, I hope the planning and the trip itself can bring some happiness to you and your family. You have encouraged me to do a pre-trip report. If you can do one for such an emotionally charged trip then I can do one too.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Bonnie
Old 05-26-2008, 11:04 AM   #5
MickeyDee
Mouseketeer

I'm with Bonnie in that I currently don't have any children and cannot even begin to imagine what you've been through. My thoughts with you and your family and my hopes to you that you have a wonderful heart-healing (if only a fraction) trip together.

1984 - WDW Contemporary Resort

1999 - WDW Magic Kingdom Whirlwind College Theatre Troupe Four Hour Visit!

2006 - July 21-29 - Pop Century!!! Neverending trip report here!

July 26-31, 2008 -Pop! Pretrip Report Here!...DUDE! I need to update bigtime....

2009 - Mom and Me at WDW

2011 - Pop Again

June 2013 - Me, my mom, my dad, my sister, and my niece. Our first time at Port Orleans French Quarter!
Old 05-26-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
aksunshine
DIS Veteran

And now some pictures-

Our first Family trip, Jan. 2006 (I was 6 mo. pregnant with Levi)

Last trip, Sept. 2007

OK- That is probably too many, so if you would like to see the other pics from our 07 trip, please see my TR!
Old 05-26-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
tcuplvr
Mouseketeer

There is no such thing as too many pictures
Old 05-26-2008, 11:14 AM   #8
aksunshine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
There are no words to express how I am feeling, reading about your loss. Just wanted to give some encouragement to write on...

I will be waiting to hear how Disney might help heal a broken heart.

Bee
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcuplvr View Post
I am single and do not have any children so I cannot possible understand the magnitude of your loss. When I read your post about your upcoming trip the first thing that came to mind was what an amazing, strong woman you must be. While as you say, your trip will be a bittersweet one, I hope the planning and the trip itself can bring some happiness to you and your family. You have encouraged me to do a pre-trip report. If you can do one for such an emotionally charged trip then I can do one too.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Bonnie
I don't wish losing a child on anyone, ever. It is a very painful thing! Thank you for being here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDee View Post
I'm with Bonnie in that I currently don't have any children and cannot even begin to imagine what you've been through. My thoughts with you and your family and my hopes to you that you have a wonderful heart-healing (if only a fraction) trip together.
Thank you!
Old 05-26-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
aksunshine
DIS Veteran

Sorry for the size difference on the pictures!
Old 05-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #10
iuki
Mouseketeer

It breaks my heart to hear of your loss. My daughter lost her 12-year-old son 6 years ago, and I felt that I lost both a grandson and a daughter, just watching how she lost her zest for life. For the first time last year, she is finally moving on.

Although it will be very difficult returning to WDW without your son, for your daughter's sake, you are performing a selfless act returning to WDW. She doesn't need to feel guilty about enjoying life. So, your going to WDW is wonderful for all you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers that you will have a wonderful time.

God Bless and enjoy your trip

iuki

Old 05-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #11
newtodis
Disney Lover!

Wow. I can't even imagine being in your shoes. I have two boys myself-one 18 months and 1 3 yrs. DH is a fireifghter (inspector now) and I work for the district. I cannot explain to anyone how those people could even begin to do what they do for families in such a terrible time. I never want to even imagine what you're going through but if it helps a bit, those who were at the accident are grieving with you as well I'm sure. I wish you all the pixie dust in the world on your trip. I know what a mess I am when I'm there and can't imagine being there after such a loss. I'm sure there are lots of ways you can remember your son and share this trip with him. Can't wait to see how the rest of the planning goes along.

Nov/Dec PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post35542292
Planning a mid Nov - mid Dec trip? Check out our thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2399320
Old 05-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #12
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

Hey Alicia.....I am in for the ride along with you.

You and your family are still in my prayers daily.

Can't wait to hear about the rest of your plans.

What are the dates you will be there?

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

My 2007 WDW pre-trippie is all grown up - its a trippie now!

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
Old 05-26-2008, 09:36 PM   #13
aksunshine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuki View Post
It breaks my heart to hear of your loss. My daughter lost her 12-year-old son 6 years ago, and I felt that I lost both a grandson and a daughter, just watching how she lost her zest for life. For the first time last year, she is finally moving on.

Although it will be very difficult returning to WDW without your son, for your daughter's sake, you are performing a selfless act returning to WDW. She doesn't need to feel guilty about enjoying life. So, your going to WDW is wonderful for all you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers that you will have a wonderful time.

God Bless and enjoy your trip

iuki

Thank you. And I am terribly sorry for your loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtodis View Post
Wow. I can't even imagine being in your shoes. I have two boys myself-one 18 months and 1 3 yrs. DH is a fireifghter (inspector now) and I work for the district. I cannot explain to anyone how those people could even begin to do what they do for families in such a terrible time. I never want to even imagine what you're going through but if it helps a bit, those who were at the accident are grieving with you as well I'm sure. I wish you all the pixie dust in the world on your trip. I know what a mess I am when I'm there and can't imagine being there after such a loss. I'm sure there are lots of ways you can remember your son and share this trip with him. Can't wait to see how the rest of the planning goes along.

Hold them tight and don't ever take one single moment for granted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindakrazy2 View Post
Hey Alicia.....I am in for the ride along with you.

You and your family are still in my prayers daily.

Can't wait to hear about the rest of your plans.

What are the dates you will be there?
Hi Sarah! We still need all the prayers we can get, Thank you!
Old 05-26-2008, 09:54 PM   #14
aksunshine
DIS Veteran

So as Sarah pointed out, you haven't been told any details! Silly me! LOL!

We will be checking into Pop Century on Aug. 30 and out on Sept. 6.
We plan to drive down, as we will be traveling with another family! There should be 6 of us, total.

Last edited by aksunshine; 05-28-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #15
aksunshine
DIS Veteran

OK, so I have so much information to share, I hardly know where to start! So how about some more pictures?

As I metioned in my first post, Levi's birthday was on Mother's Day, he would have been 2. Knowing that this was going to be a hard time for my family, and since Isabelle had a 3 day weekend, we drove over to St. Louis. We stayed at the hotel directly across from the arch, it was pretty cool, although the hotel is in need of repair here and there. We spent Saturday at the zoo and Mo. Botanical Gardens (I love this place!), Sunday we drove back and took a balloon bouquet to Levi, featuring Mickey, his favorite. We also found some super cute Mickey Birthday ribbons, he still has those out there. It was extremely windy and rainy on the 11th, so the balloons had to be taken down the next day, but it was so worth it! I didn't get to read him his birthday story, so I wanted to go back Monday to do that.
These are from Friday night:
At Dinner

A close look at the Arch

From our hotel window!

So here are some pics from Saturday:
First we went to the Turtle Park

Isabelle was super excited to see these new animatronic dinos at the zoo! T-Rex even intimidated her, which is saying quite a bit for my daughter!

It isn't Cindy's , but we can't have it all can we? LOL!

Overall, we had a good time, considering...

More coming up!

Last edited by aksunshine; 05-28-2008 at 10:11 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: