Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
MickeyDee
Mouseketeer

Mickeydee's "Look, Ma! I'm All Growed Up Now" Trip to the World

First, a brief history:

I am the oldest of two (now grown) children. My first trip to WDW was back in 1982 with my mom, dad, grandparents and baby sister. I was 6 going on 7. Sibling was almost 1.

Second trip, summer of 1983. Contrary to everything I've ever heard of people's aversion for Epcot when it opened, I fell madly in love with the place at the age of 8. To this day it is still my favorite park, MK being a very close second. This was also the trip where we stayed on-property at the Contemporary Resort. I have unbelievably nostalgic memories for that resort circa 1983.

Third trip, March of 1999. 4 hours in the MK pushing my friend around in a wheelchair (she had twisted her ankle that morning). She and I had convinced our college theatre troupe director and cohorts to make a stop at the world while on tour in Florida.

Fourth trip, July of 2006. My sister, gf, and I. Stayed at Pop Century. Had a BLAST.

This trip will be me, the aforementioned sister, and our parents. Mom and Dad haven't been to WDW since 1983. So, where most proud parents are excited to take their beloved kiddos to the World for the first time, it's kinda the reverse for me. I'm unbelievably excited to reintroduce my parents to WDW! They haven't been in 25 years and obviously, so much has changed. I'm wicked psyched. And since the sib and I are currently without offspring of our own, it will most decidedly be a child-free vacay. Well, unless you count me - because I become about 6 years old whenever I hit that place.

This trip came about like so. I think of it as that Disney commercial where Cinderella's carriage is furiously driving through the night, as the kids are laying in bed and Mom and Dad are typing away on the computer looking for price quotes - "hey...$1500...we can do that." and the happy family is off to the World...well, something similar happened for the Mickeydee family.

I was visiting with Mom and Sis one day and somehow, out of the blue, Mom brings up Disney and how she's thinking about a trip for everyone this summer. I immediately perk up, though the subject is dropped and nothing more is discussed. But the seed has been planted and the mousegears that live in my brain are just a-churnin' away. I go home and for kicks, decide to see how much it would be for four adults, five-nights at Pop in July. And it's freakishly affordable. I immediately phone Mom and bait her with, "so, how much do you think it would be for the four of us, 5 nights at Disney with passes, etc..." Her guess - $3000. The reality $1800. She says something about having to talk to Dad...blah, blah, blah (I love my mother!) but my little mind is already set.

Long story finally brought to a screeching halt - we decide to book it about a month ago and we go on this trip 2 months from today!

I already have the ADRs booked and the basic plan mapped out (earning me the nickname of "Disney Nazi" from my family).

I shall keep you posted! Thanks for reading!

1984 - WDW Contemporary Resort

1999 - WDW Magic Kingdom Whirlwind College Theatre Troupe Four Hour Visit!

2006 - July 21-29 - Pop Century!!! Neverending trip report here!

July 26-31, 2008 -Pop! Pretrip Report Here!...DUDE! I need to update bigtime....

2009 - Mom and Me at WDW

2011 - Pop Again

June 2013 - Me, my mom, my dad, my sister, and my niece. Our first time at Port Orleans French Quarter!

Last edited by MickeyDee; 07-10-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Sounds like a great trip!!! That is so cool your mom brought up a Disney trip for this summer. I'm sure you all will have such a great time! Can't wait to hear more.
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIP: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
MickeyDee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Sounds like a great trip!!! That is so cool your mom brought up a Disney trip for this summer. I'm sure you all will have such a great time! Can't wait to hear more.
Thanks for reading! I'm wicked psyched for this trip!

July 26-31, 2008 -Pop! Pretrip Report Here!...DUDE! I need to update bigtime....

2009 - Mom and Me at WDW

2011 - Pop Again

June 2013 - Me, my mom, my dad, my sister, and my niece. Our first time at Port Orleans French Quarter!
Old 05-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
MickeyDee
Mouseketeer

Since I am off today, it being Memorial Day, and since I am a Disney Nazi and thus OBSESSED with planning my trip, I thought I would add a little more, starting with the MUST SEES for this trip...

Things I didn't get to do last time that I MUST do this time:

Magic Kingdom
  • Big Thunder Mountain
  • Splash Mountain
  • Space Mountain
  • Liberty Belle Riverboat (this is a nostalgia thing and it was down for refurbishment last trip)
  • Monsters Inc. (new since last trip!)

Epcot
  • Nemo Ride (new since last trip)
  • Mission Space (I chickened out)
  • Gran Fiesta Tour (new since last trip)

DHS
  • Toy Story Midway Mania (new, new, new!!!)
  • Rockin' Rollercoaster
  • Indiana Jones Stunt Show (show was down last trip!!!)

Animal Kingdom

Note: My dear GF became deathly ill after riding Expedition Everest, so we had to take off from AK without having been able to accomplish very much last time!
  • Kilamanjaro Safaris
  • Kali River Rapids
  • Primeval Whirl
  • Finding Nemo
  • Festival of the Lion King

2009 - Mom and Me at WDW

2011 - Pop Again

Old 05-26-2008, 09:05 PM   #5
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

I agree, those are all must-do attractions!! Love them all (well...not Mission:Space but all the others are great!).
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIP: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 05-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
MickeyDee
Mouseketeer

Have you ridden MS and were terrified and/or sick or have you avoided altogether? I'm typically an avoider, myself! And I am prone to motionsickness which is another reason I didn't ride last time. hehe

2009 - Mom and Me at WDW

2011 - Pop Again

Old 07-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #7
MickeyDee
Mouseketeer

Brief Rundown of Our Itinerary:

1 - Leave for Florida on July 24. We will be driving.

2 - Arrive Orlando evening of July 25.

3 - Check-in at Pop Century; Day at DHS; ADR at 50's Primetime

4 - Day at AK

5 - Day at Epcot; ADR at Le Cellier

6 - Free Choice Day; ADR for breakfast at Boma; ADR for linner (late lunch, early dinner) at Wolfgang Puck Cafe

7 - Day at MK

8 - Checkout Pop Century; morning at MK; ADR - Grand Floridian Tea; evening at Epcot; stay in Orlando

9 - Leave Orlando

10 - Arrive home.

2009 - Mom and Me at WDW

2011 - Pop Again

Old 07-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #8
MickeyDee
Mouseketeer

Six more days to go! We actually will be leaving on Thursday, so only 4 more nights of sleeping (or being too excited to sleep) in my own bed!

I have my itineraries printed up for everyone in the family, my ADRs set, just a few more pre-trip purchases and we should be ready!

I can't believe it's almost here already!

2009 - Mom and Me at WDW

2011 - Pop Again

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: