Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2008, 08:25 AM   #31
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

POFQ
This is in another thread on accessibility of rooms:
We have just returned from staying at POFQ.

At FQ we had room 3140, ground floor king with roll-in shower which connects with 3139 a standard 2 queen bed room.

This is a map of POFQ and PORiverside (FQ is on the bottom):

room 3140 would be building 3, floor 1, room 40. That is the only room we have a number for, but obviously, there are more. There are elevators in all the buildings and any rooms with roll in showers would be either on first floor or in a room with an elevator.
POFQ is the smallest WDW resort, so everything is pretty close and compact. Room request location is probably not that important at POFQ, and there may not be any roll in shower rooms in the building you are interested in - or - if there is one, it might not be available.

POFQ was built in 1991, so it wasn't under the current rules for accessibility (hotels designed and constructed after Jan 1, 1993) . The current ones call for accessible rooms to be scattered around the resort; before that, the accessible rooms were often grouped together, so it may be like that at POFQ.
The current guidelines call for a total of 1 fully wheelchair accessible room for each 100 rooms - so by those rules, they would be required to have a total of 10. If they didn't have that number, they may have converted some when they did a renovation in 2003-2004.
When you call for your reservation, you can certainly request an area, but when they check with Special Services for availability, it's possible there may be none available in the area you want at the time you want. That room will be actually blocked for you at the time of the reservation. They typically don't tell you where exactly the room will be. In case of a room being out of service for some reason, they don't want someone planning on a specific room.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr

Last edited by SueM in MN; 01-25-2008 at 08:56 AM. Reason: part of the post got erased when I edited, so I'm trying to add it back.
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:59 PM   #32
Charleyann
Someone spilled the beans
Just 70 more days till that smell comes again

Thank you Sue....

I am staying with POFQ. I had changed to CBR. But in speaking with CM, they recommended the smaller resort. They said it was more compact and CBR was spread out very far. They explained with roll in shower rooms that there were few preferred rooms. So we may not get what we would like and be far away from things....

I also thought of CSR but being a convention hotel, that didn't appeal. So POFQ it is! Hope I have no regrets!

BTW...how many pools are there at POFQ?

Charleyann

Last edited by Charleyann; 02-02-2008 at 09:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Charleyann is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2008, 11:06 PM   #33
grshoppers
Earning My Ears

Rooms at the Contemporary

We've got a reservation at the Contemporary in October. Does anyone have any pictures of the rooms?
grshoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:10 AM   #34
Jamie77
DIS Veteran

I just wanted to add that room #6141 at the Wilderness Lodge is an HA King room (Courtyard View) but it has a private balcony (a person must stand up to see the courtyard so it might be a disappointment for anyone who would like to sit on the balcony and people-watch.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #35
shovan
DIS Veteran

We just returned from our 1st trip at Saratoga Springs. I wish I had taken pics of the room, but we had a very busy trip. (Trip to Daytona 500)

We stayed in room 5112 in the Paddock area. The room was somewhat cramped especially for a DVC room. Don't know if this was a remodeled room but it sure felt like it. There was a closet not 12 inches away from the bed. I pretty much had to turn sideways to get to the closet, there was no way DH could have gotten near it in his chair. Here is a pic of that area of the room.

There was a smaller closet near the entrance but it had the vacuum, broom, ironing board filling it.

This resort is very spread out and had we not had our own vehicle we would have probably been miserable. DH's batteries would have been worn out getting back & forth to the Carriage House (main lobby/rest./pool areas).

This room location was very conveniently located near the HA parking & close to the quiet pool & bus stop.

shovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:54 AM   #36
heartbeeps
not taking vacations but collecting experiences!

Question when will u b at AKL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofieslonglostsis View Post
Can anybody tell me a bit more about the accessible rooms at AKL? We've got a reservation for a standard room, standard view.
I'm estatic to be staying at AKL, so I would even sleep in a broomcloset if needed but a room with roll in shower makes it a lot easier, so if I need to keep checking myself, I'll do that.
when will you be staying there? We're in town 5/2 - 5/6 and my friends have a handicap room reserved so I can check it out when we're there... provided you're arriving AFTER us.
heartbeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:12 PM   #37
PegIra
DIS Veteran

Handicapped Room and Elevators on Disney Cruise Line

Hi,

We will be on the Disney Cruise in 09 to celebrate our 50th anniversary and have a handicapped accessible room. It is room 6644. Is the room layed out like the regular rooms,just a little larger? What is the verandah like.

Also, my husband has a electric scooter that is fairly long. How do I find out if it will fit on the Disney elevators? Do they have the sizes of the elevators accessible. His scooter is 55 inches long and 27 inches wide.

It would be great if anyone has some pictures. Thanks again for any and all help.

Peggy
PegIra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:37 PM   #38
stephy1225
Earning My Ears

All Star Movies

anyone have any info on the handicapped accessible rooms at ASM?
Old 05-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #39
ilovefishsticks4
Earning My Ears

Are the oceanview rooms that much better than interior rooms?
Old 05-19-2008, 09:40 AM   #40
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

This thread has links to some pictures of a fully accessible room with a roll in shower at Contemporary.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:09 PM   #41
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Polynesian - club level accessible room #1529

Here's a link to all of the pictures of the accessible room we just had. I hope this info can be helpful to others.

http://www.brownfamilyvacations.com/...ynAccessRm.htm

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #42
AnnieDan_Artlover
Mouseketeer

POFQ room w/ bathroom handrails (w/ pix)

I recently used a room, with my mom, at POFQ which was not specifically wheelchair accessible, but had bathroom handrails (which we had asked for).

I did use a wheelchair, but only for stamina reasons, so I didn't use it in the room, nor did I even try to, so I'm sorry if I don't have any info on that matter (except I can tell there was enough space so the chair, once folded, could fit besides the bed!... and it could pass through the door even unfolded)

I'm sorry, I didn't think about taking any measurements.

The room was #4148, so in building #4.

It's on floor level, in the corner, altough not the corner room, and facing the little park area between buildings 4 and 7... with a little bit of parking area in the view.

It's about a 2min. walk to the main buildings (Sassagoula food court, Jackson square gift shop, front desk, etc.) and hot tub, maybe 3min. to the pool and about 1 min. and a half to get to the bus stop.
It is centrally located, altough there are some rooms closer to everything (4148, being in the outer corner of the building, is further... a room in the corner facing the main building would be even better). ...but are those rooms equipped with handrails? ha, that's another question!

Here are some pictures :

View entering the room

Sorry it's blurry... View back from the bathroom.

As you can notice, there is a counter in the bathroom, which makes it a little easier for laying around products and getting ready in the morning!
You can also see there's a door, instead of the usual curtains.
I don't know if the counter is w/c accessible (low enough, roll-under...)

A view of the other side of the bathroom.
You can see the small wall-safe on the right-side, behind the door.

Again, if you notice, mousekeeping was putting the towels on the railing... I had to leave a note saying I needed it and to please put that somewhere else... of course the mousekeeper changed and forgot to inform the next one.. since they keep changing I didn't keep writing notes... so I had to move the towels around each day... at least I had the railing!
You can sort of guess one of the bath railings on the left of the toilet there...

You can see some of the bathtub railing there... the 3d rail, the one you could guess on the previous pic, is at the right end, over the faucet.

As you can see, not much space here to transfer from a w/c... I can't see how one could transfer in such a tight space! Of course I could be wrong about that, not being one to transfer myself.

Since I didn't use the wheelchair in the room, and since I don't even think someone could
, we didn't quite understand the idea behind putting the door where it was and removing the curtains (which is the usual design in the resort, and in most Disney resorts)...
We didn't like that design which prevented one person being in the bath or shower, or going to the, hum... you get it, and the other getting ready in the morning, for example.
I understand when it's a w/c accessible room, but that one doesn't seem to be.

Just a note : the safe was really, really tiny. Only about 1.5" deep and about a feet wide and a feet high. We were on the verge of not being able to put our wallets in there! I would've like to put my iPod and Nintendo DS in there... no way!

I hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask if I left some info out!
AnnieDan_Artlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #43
mickeyluvr004
Mouseketeer

Hi does anyone have pictures or know about Fort Wilderness Cabins? I know the set up is pretty nice just wondering if they have handicap accessable showers and ramps to get into the cabins? Thanks also if anyone knows where are the handicap cabins located and are they near the bus stop? thanks for all the help
mickeyluvr004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:05 PM   #44
Timon-n-Pumbaa Fan
Identifies with Pumbaa's Flatulence Issues

Location: in the burbs, in a house with a lot of Disney decor.

Thanks so much for the link to the Contemporary Resort rooms. I need all the info that I can get for our upcoming stay because my MIL will be on a scooter and needs an ADA friendly room due to her multiple health issues and moblility challenges.
Timon-n-Pumbaa Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:31 PM   #45
ilovemky
DIS Veteran

Ssr

just making sure that all the rooms will be able to accomodate an ECV to get into the room--I have rented a 2 bedroom suite with my DVC points for october--will i need to request a certain room? I can walk short distances so just need to be able to put the chair in the room and charge it at nite. thanks for the help

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: