Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
julezdisney
Boo to the b!

Halloweentime with Mickey PTR ***complete!~TR link added- post #205***

THIS BEGINS AS A PTR TO DLR/DCA. AT POST 169 -or part V link below- IT BECOMES A PTR FOR WDW INSTEAD. GOT THAT? READ THE PROLOGUE AND CAST ANYWAY THOUGH! HAPPY READING AND THANKS FOR 'COMING ALONG'!

First of all- I have to tell you- I type fast- super fast. Like Jimmy-John's fast. So I tend to write every thought that comes into my head- which makes for longer messages than most. So if I lose you in the introductions.... well, that's a shame.

So this is the Prologue. As I go along, I'll put in links to anything I put in that makes sense. I love it when PTR/TR's have that- it makes it so much easier once there's 200 pages!! LOL. I'll try to keep in mind what I love in a PTR while I write this and go accordingly.

So the best way to introduce our trip is to show you the front page of our trip binder! I downloaded fonts from http://mickeyavenue.com/. And I found the adorable picture letters somewhere through http://i-love-disney.com/. It was a lot of fun and I have two alternate covers. But this is what I've decided on so far:

DIRECT LINKS TO PTR ADDITIONS
Part I: Introduction of the cast!
Supporting Cast Members

Pre-trip planning for Disneyland HERE
Part II: Where to Stay?

The First Setback!
My Mission & Ticket Dilemma
Our FANCY SCHMANCY tickets!
Part III: Itinerary for Days 1 & 2
The new binder cover!
Considering DCA
Shout OUTS!
Part IV: Itinerary for 1st half of Day 3
Oh good heavens, you did WHAT?!
Give a SIGH!
Chicken Pox!!!!!
MIA Update
We interrupt this program....
Mickey goes to Niagra?
Priority Seating Madness!
Freaking OUT!!!!!

CHANGE OVER TO PTR TO DISNEY WORLD BEGINS HERE:
Post 169-Where EXACTLY?
Part V: WDW Planning Begins!!!!!!!!!!!!
PTR Moved! + Itinerary question!
Part VI: Decisions... Decisions... Decisions...!
Lodging Secured!
Part VII: Itinerary for Non-Park Day
Countdown Calendar
Visual Itinerary
Quick Link Tutorial
Park VII: Announcing.... ADR's!
The Trip Binder...w/PIX!!
Travel Plans + Two Day Joy!
We're BACK!
Trip Report Link!

Last edited by julezdisney; 10-17-2008 at 01:05 PM. Reason: LINKS
Old 05-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
julezdisney
Boo to the b!

Red face Part I- Introducing the CAST - w/PIX!

Lead Female:

Me. 30 (and 3/4!!!) I'll turn 31 a couple weeks before our trip. My name is Julia. I spent years as a child wishing I could be on the “New Mickey Mouse Club” and died every time I saw the OPEN AUDITION ads in the local newspaper. Living in Illinois with all that stifled talent..... I've never gotten over it. I dreamed big along with younger versions of Miss Britney Shameless, Justin Sexyback, and Xtina while Felicity lead the way. Some day I'd see the “World” and in the meantime, page through my old record collection from my childhood, singing along to “It's a Small World” and marveling at Mary Blair's creations. Would I ever see this vision of fantasy?

The answer is YES! As a graduation present to myself, I decided I wanted to go to Disneyland or WDW in April of 2006. My in-laws surprised me by inviting me along with them to DLR because they were going anyway for my SIL (who was 10 at the time) for her spring break. That way, they could see me and their granddaughter, who they never get to see. They are in NoCal and we are in Illi. We see them just 1x a year for vacations. The hubster and son were not going because they were going to the Florida Keys (Captiva Island) with them in July. WE were not going on that trip, because hopefully by than, I would've landed a job and would not be able to leave on a vacation right away.

I loved it. I was in awe of SoCal and the park. The weather was beautiful. The park was unrushed and gorgeous and everything I'd ever dreamed, saw, or read. And not only was I seeing it as a dream realized for myself, but I was seeing it through the eyes of my daughter, who was a month shy of 3 years old. The PERFECT age to experience all this for the very first time. From Minnie's house in ToonTown to the carousel in Fantasyland to Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters in Tommorowland to the animals on the Jungle Cruise. She ate up all of it. She marveled in Pooh, laughed through the Bug's Land at DCA, and couldn't stop dancing at the Playhouse Disney Show in Hollywood Pictures Backlot. I've left out so much but she loved ALL of it. Well- almost all of it- Grandma and Grandpa had to keep their hands over her eyes and sing in her ears for the entire Haunted Mansion ride!

Rachael and Mom see Sleeping Beauty's Castle!

There were just two things wrong with this trip. The very first screamed at me from the moment we entered Main Street just in time to score perfect seats for the Parade of Dreams.

#1- My husband and son were not here. They were missing all of this! Every day, through every attraction, I found myself missing them and wishing they were there. I had NOT expected that to happen! Sure I thought I would miss them- but at almost every thing we did I was going, “Oh man, Jim would love this.” or “Oh, I wish DS were here! He would LOVE this!” It just killed me and I vowed to return to this same park very soon with both of them, and DD and I would introduce them to everything we'd experienced.

#2- My in-laws do things commando style. Running included. Oh jeez. And they...well.... as much as they love DLR and WDW and have gone numerous times.... they love it for the theme park aspect. But what they miss is the magic. I also vowed that as much as I loved them and was having fun and was grateful they'd included us in their plans- our return trip would be a ONE family affair only. And we'd take it at OUR pace and decide for OURSELVES what was worth seeing and doing.

So here I go. I'm planning this one for US.

Next up: the supporting CASTMEMBERS (w/pix of course.... )

Last edited by julezdisney; 10-24-2008 at 10:27 AM. Reason: just cause...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
MamaOfTwoPrincesses
MNSSHP October 2008

We are going to WDW Oct 5-11! Oh, and my DD's name is Julia!

I've got a pre trip report of my own started. See below for the link.

*July 2014 (Kidani) First WDW trip as DVC members! SURPRISE TRIP to celebrate DD's 9th birthday!
*April 2013 (POR) Disney Dream cruise and quick 4 day visit
*December 2010 (Contemporary)
*October 2008 (Poly)
*January 2007 (POFQ)
Old 05-15-2008, 08:57 PM   #4
julezdisney
Boo to the b!

Red face

How exciting that while we're on one end of the country celebrating Halloween Mickey-style- you will be on the opposite end doing the same!

Thanks for being my 1st official poster!
Old 05-16-2008, 07:20 AM   #5
julezdisney
Boo to the b!

Red face The Supporting Cast Members

Lead Male:

DH. 28 (I like 'em young?) His name is Jim. He grew up pretty privileged after the age of 8 or 9 or so, when his mom (from here on out DMIL) married his step-dad (DFIL). He's been to WDW and DLR both at least twice (?). I'll have to ask him more specifically. He has never seen or been to DCA yet, but I do think he's been to all of the kingdoms at WDW when they went. He's fuzzy on details, and is like most men. He has NO IDEA to the extent my Disney-obsession has grown. He will in time, I suspect. He had to be convinced and sweet-talked into this trip.

Supporting role, female youth:

DD. 5. Just turned 5 on May 4th with a Hawaiian themed luau (which some might know if they are on the Chicago board- which I'm on from time to time). Known from now on as DD5. Her favorite things are all things girl-y. Princesses, castles, fairies, flowers, magic slippers, glitter, ONLY DRESSES 24/7- even her jammies must be 'jammie dresses', as she calls them. She is 95% girl. The 5% is what's left because she's not afraid to pick up worms, squash bugs, or collect rocks with her brother. She can also tear up a playground and some monkey bars- even in a dress. She has been, as I said before, to Disneyland/DCA one month shy of turning 3. She remembers some things- but most of it is through the stories I tell her and the gads of photos. She relentlessly has rubbed it into her older brother that SHE has been to Disney, while he has NOT.

Supporting role, male youth:

DS. 6-1/2. Will be 2 mos out from his 7th birthday when we go. He will be DS6. He's actually my step-son but I've been in his life since he was a baby. He asked me to buy him his very own Disneyland book in anticipation of this trip and took it home to his mother's house. I know he does look at it from time to time because out of the blue he'll say things like, “I think there's a ride where ghosts chase us.” or something of the like. I really can't wait to show him all of this. He's a pretty well-traveled kid between the two sets of families, but after their family trip was downgraded from Orlando/Universal to Branson, MO last year, I took that as an excuse that we just had one more reason we NEED to see Disney together as a family! He LOVES all things Jack Skellington so the fact that the Haunted Mansion will be all decked out will be such a treat for not just all of us, but for him in particular.

So that's our clan. We'll be tearin' up the Land in COSTUME Oct. 9th-13th this year. Watch out!

Next up: On site or Off site? Which will we choose?

Last edited by julezdisney; 08-26-2008 at 07:47 AM. Reason: photo editing
Old 05-16-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
MamaOfTwoPrincesses
MNSSHP October 2008

Your kids are adorable! I just glanced this over quickly, but I'll read more once the big one is at school and the little one is napping. Ahhhh, Mommy time!

*July 2014 (Kidani) First WDW trip as DVC members! SURPRISE TRIP to celebrate DD's 9th birthday!
*April 2013 (POR) Disney Dream cruise and quick 4 day visit
*December 2010 (Contemporary)
*October 2008 (Poly)
*January 2007 (POFQ)
Old 05-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
julezdisney
Boo to the b!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaOfTwoPrincesses View Post
Ahhhh, Mommy time!
Don't you love it? Peace and quiet!
Old 05-16-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
julezdisney
Boo to the b!

Red face Part II- Where to Stay?

On site or off site for our very first official family vacation?

Now,we HAVE vacationed together as a family before. We’ve been to NoCal, Tahoe, the Dells, and the Keys—but all with the in-laws. As I said in post #2- we vacation with them yearly. Minus two years where they came to visit US here in Illinois and we did more local sights/to-dos. But us 4 have only done a couple of small weekend trips and many ‘daycations’.

In 2006, DD & I stayed w/the in-laws at the Embassy Suites. That was great as far as the accommodations, they always stay at an ES- the breakfast can not be beat- however, waiting for a bus and dealing with trams was a big pain in the butt.

After pricing- it became a no brainer. Our first trip would have to be off site. I just couldn’t justify staying onsite for the first time when there are SO MANY within walking distance that have great reviews.

EVERYWHERE we go or even for trip ideas, I look to tripadvisor.com. This time was no different and I narrowed down the field to my Top 3 based on distance- Park Vue Inn, HoJo’s and Tropicana Inn & Suites. All have great reviews, plus’s and cons- according to user reviews.

The selling point ended up being price- and a few spectacular photos on tripadvisor that showed the distance from the front walk of HoJo’s down the street to the stoplights.

Knowing that the kids would be, by that time, 5-1/2 and almost 7, I figured they could make the trek easily in the mornings, and if need be in the pm’s- we could take Anaheim Transit for a few bucks. Easy as pie. And as far as noise- we used to live next to a very busy through-fare and when we are tired- we are tired! We all normally sleep with a television on low anyway so no big deal for us if we get stuck in one of those buildings. Although I intend on requesting for an upper room in a better building.

Ho Jo’s it is! And from everything I’ve discovered here on the disboards- I’m pretty happy with that decision. What makes me nervous is the booking agent. I’ve only ever booked a room through something major- like Overstock (which- they no longer do ) or Travelocity but this is through a place called “Airfare.com”. They have ‘vouchers’ for check in Oct. 9th and check out Oct. 13th. Apparently, HoJo’s will have my name on their books 7 days ahead of the reservation. Which I found out only AFTER I called HoJo’s to confirm. I didn’t know that I wasn’t booking ACTUAL ressies. I’m very very nervous about this but since the CC bill has been paid- I’m just gonna have to deal. If I find myself 7 days out with no room- I’ll book something else somewhere and have the CC company take care of them. ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE THIS AIRFARE.COM?

Next up: Priority Seating ressies!! PLEASE GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS!

Last edited by julezdisney; 05-16-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:13 PM   #9
Jules3Kids
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the post on my PTR! It's so exciting just writing it all out and planning it! Your trip to DL sounds great! There is not nearly as much to choose from (for ADR's) as there is in WDW, but I would definitely recommend the Blue Bayou. It won't be the absolute greatest food you ever ate, but its pretty good and the ambiance CAN'T be beat! You are sitting in the middle of the POTC ride and you can hear the riders as they are screaming going down the drops...and the crickets and fireflies are so realistic...it feels like you are really there! We loved it, and you get to keep the menus as a great souvenier! The only other ADR we did was the Lilo n Stitch character breakfast at the Paradise Pier where we stayed. It was an awesome buffet, and the characters came to our table over and over again. And I think it's actually called PS (priority seating) in DL and not ADR (not that it really matters!)
I look forward to hearing from you more on my PTR and I will watch yours as well!
Have a great trip!
DL - July 2007 Paradise Pier

My First Ever TR for our 1st ever trip to WDW! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1827245
Old 05-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #10
Casey's Mommie
Nothing makes a Mommy happier than hearing her baby laugh!

Great PTR!

My favorite places to eat at DLR are:

Storybook Cafe in the Grand California Hotel for character breakfast and lunch/dinner.
Blue Bayou (expensive but the atmosphere is awesome!)
Carnation Cafe

We are doing the Minnie and Friend's character breakfast at the Plaza Inn for the first time so I'll let you know if I like it.

Now, I'm off to finish packing!
Old 05-17-2008, 09:53 PM   #11
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

I'm here!

Great start! Your children are adorable and it sounds like you are going to have a blast!

The binder cover page is great!

Can't wait to read more!
Old 05-18-2008, 12:53 AM   #12
julezdisney
Boo to the b!

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules3Kids View Post
Thanks for the post on my PTR! It's so exciting just writing it all out and planning it! Your trip to DL sounds great! There is not nearly as much to choose from (for ADR's) as there is in WDW, but I would definitely recommend the Blue Bayou. It won't be the absolute greatest food you ever ate, but its pretty good and the ambiance CAN'T be beat! You are sitting in the middle of the POTC ride and you can hear the riders as they are screaming going down the drops...and the crickets and fireflies are so realistic...it feels like you are really there! We loved it, and you get to keep the menus as a great souvenier! The only other ADR we did was the Lilo n Stitch character breakfast at the Paradise Pier where we stayed. It was an awesome buffet, and the characters came to our table over and over again. And I think it's actually called PS (priority seating) in DL and not ADR (not that it really matters!)
I look forward to hearing from you more on my PTR and I will watch yours as well!
Have a great trip!

Thanks for the suggestion! I've added it to my grand plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey's Mommie View Post
Great PTR!

My favorite places to eat at DLR are:

Storybook Cafe in the Grand California Hotel for character breakfast and lunch/dinner.
Blue Bayou (expensive but the atmosphere is awesome!)
Carnation Cafe

We are doing the Minnie and Friend's character breakfast at the Plaza Inn for the first time so I'll let you know if I like it.

Now, I'm off to finish packing!

Oh yes! Please tell me how you like the Plaza! That's on my list! But I also want to try Storytellers so tell me about that too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
I'm here!

Great start! Your children are adorable and it sounds like you are going to have a blast!

The binder cover page is great!

Can't wait to read more!

I'm so flattered! The famous Charleston Princess on MY PTR?
I am waiting for your PTR to be finished and your TR to begin!
Old 05-18-2008, 08:32 AM   #13
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by julezdisney View Post

I'm so flattered! The famous Charleston Princess on MY PTR?
I am waiting for your PTR to be finished and your TR to begin!
You are too funny! I never considered myself as famous!

I can't wait for my PTR to be finished so I can start my TR, either!
Old 05-18-2008, 11:52 PM   #14
julezdisney
Boo to the b!

Oh no! They changed the name of the party!

So... my first setback. Albeit minor.

They CHANGED the name of Mickey's Halloween Treat to Mickey's Trick-or-Treat Party!

So, erm.... I have to redo my trip binder cover. I know. Devastating.

And my PTR is going very slowly at the moment because, as a natural Libran, I am unable to decide about dining.

I know. Just take it one day at a time. The troubles of the DIS-addicted are many, but we must be fervent nonetheless.

I must go to sleep dreaming of my meals and the new binder design.

PLEASE JOIN IN THE DISCUSSIONS AND GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS ON DINING OR ANY SECRET TIPS FOR FUN AT THE LAND!!

Last edited by julezdisney; 05-20-2008 at 07:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-19-2008, 12:27 AM   #15
Bloodhound
DIS Veteran

Hi our group is going Oct. 24th - Oct31st. Im along for the ride and maybe find a great idea along the way.

Robert

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: