Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2008, 08:40 PM   #16
naner
Mouseketeer

Great start to your report - enjoy your trip!

Land and sea 2001 honeymoon
Took the kids to Mickey 5/07
naner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:49 PM   #17
purplepeg
DIS Veteran

I can't believe you are so organized. Way to go. Thanks for the plug for my trippie I love the pictures of your son getting his postcard. It really means alot to me that you posted them here. I love the look on his face. I can vividly remember sitting in our stateroom at the desk writing it Now it's time for your trip I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back.

Off Site 1996,All Star Music 1998,All Star Movies 2002, Pop Century 2004, Pop Century2006 ASMu 2008 DVC 2009BLT2009
purplepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2008, 07:53 AM   #18
bobbi565
DIS Veteran

Getting There and Port Canaveral

We were up and left Maryland by about 9:30 in the morning of April 30. I had been so crazy with packing and preparations, I had barely slept! We drove to Myrtle Beach on the first day and spent two nights at a fantastic oceanfront resort called Dunes Village. On May 2, we hit the road again and headed down to Florida. If you want to know why we chose to drive for such a long distance, check out my 2007 trippie! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1392872
After driving all day, we hit Port Canaveral at about 5:00 PM. The skies were clear, and we had plans to meet up with fellow DISer imheather and her family for dinner at Grills Restaurant and Tikki Bar and introduce our 5 year old DS’s before the cruise. First we checked in at the Country Inn & Suites and were very impressed with our Kids Quarters Suite! DS was beside himself with glee about the “ladder bed,” although when bedtime arrived, he chickened out of sleeping in the top bunk and chose the twin bed instead, and DH was delighted with the wireless internet access in the room. The kids’ area is defined by a partial wall about 6’ high, ending about 2 – 3’ from the ceiling. It’s really like a separate room! We got our stuff settled in and headed out to Ron Jon’s, a mandatory stop anytime we’re near Cocoa Beach, and waited to hear from imheather.

The boys went nuts shopping at Ron Jon’s and I picked up a shell choker and a tank top. 5:30 was rolling around, the time when imheather expected to arrive in port, and my cell phone rang. Apparently their plane was held up for about an hour on the tarmac after arriving at MCO, and they experienced another delay when picking up their rental car. So the boys and I headed over to Grills on our own. I called ahead and we arrived there about 20 minutes later and were told there was about a 25 minute wait remaining. We took our pager and went out to the pier, and I got us some drinks while the boys watched the boats. After about 15 minutes, we noticed an open table outside. We weren’t sure if we had to wait to be seated there, so we sat down and were greeted by a server fairly quickly. Right about then, our pager went off, so I returned it to the hostess and told her we were seated outside. The menu was quite varied, the food and drinks were good, and the view was fantastic. Even though the place was not really family oriented (at least not for very young children) we enjoyed the outdoor dining.

After dinner, we went back to the room and relaxed in anticipation of our big adventure!
The next morning, I was up with the sun, as always, and getting everything back into the car. I sampled the free hot breakfast (really underwhelming!) and found the hot items somewhat limited. They had scrambled eggs, hot waffle irons with pitchers of batter to make your own, and a ham & cheese biscuit stuffed with flakes of ham and a Velveeta like substance, along with the requisite fruit, cereal, pastries and beverages. At about 9 AM, the boys were up, and we checked out and went to ABC Fine Wine & Spirits. We picked up some beer for us and jdabi and a bottle of champagne. As we were at the car loading the cooler, the very nice sales clerk came out the door and, noticing our license plate, asked if we were from Maryland. We told him we were from Columbia and he replied he’d relocated from Laurel, MD (a town just south of our hometown)! We headed for port and got to watch a line of tall masted sail boats cross through the drawbridge on the way to port, a very exciting sight to DS. We got to the Disney terminal at 9:45 and were directed to wait in the parking lot across from the terminal. At about 10:05 we were directed to proceed and were the first car to enter the terminal. We checked our bags, and DH went to park while DS and I passed quickly through security and walked straight up to the Castaway Club check-in counter. We received out lanyards and our boarding ticket marked with Group #2 and were directed where to check DS in for the OC. We walked over to the snack bar area and were told to return in about 10 minutes when it opened. We found a seat and in a few minutes DH came in proud of his parking spot in the first row under a shady tree.

After exploring the port for a while, we went back to the snack bar area and got DS his bracelet for the OC (we’d registered online) and went to the snack bar to get a bag of pretzels for DS. While waiting on line, I felt a tap on my shoulder, I turned to find a woman pointing at the green wristband I was wearing (the agreed upon membership symbol from our DIS board meet thread) as she asked me, “Excuse me, are you from the DIS board? I’m imheather.”
“Heather!” I cried, “It’s bobbi565! So glad to meet you at last!” We introduced the kids (she had both DS and DD with her) and the boys immediately ran off like a couple of maniacs through the port. She informed me that she’d seen LJC1861 who, according to her trippie (loving it, by the way!), was the first one into the port, and Dawn414 who was on line checking in. We found the DH’s and introduced them, and stood around chatting while the boys vegged out in front of the cartoons (love the matching slack jawed countenances!).

Suddenly, Mickey and Minnie appeared, and before we could blink, an enormous line materialized. Even though DH agreed to wait on line while I chased DS around the port, before too long, DS decided it would be more exciting just to wait in line for his Minnie picture (Mickey disappeared after only a couple of minutes). On our last cruise, the first time encountered by a character (the big cheese himself) DS was too frightened to go near, exclaiming “Mickey’s too huge!” so I was delighted at the passionate embrace captured in this photo.

Finally, at 12:00, boarding began and our group was quickly called to get in line. Soon we crossed through the giant ears behind a family of four from Frederick, MD and had our KTTW cards swiped by a Cast Member from Havre de Grace, MD as strains of “It’s a Small World After All” played in my head. We had our embarkation photos taken, and I required DH’s assistance to pull me to my feet after squatting to sling what must have been a 60 pound day bag over my shoulder, then we were announced and the Magic began!

Next, the James Gang onboard and Sailing Away!
Cruises To Date:Jan. 25 - 28, 2007: 3 Night Bahamian on the Wonder May 3 - 10, 2008: 7 Night Western Caribbean on the Magic June 15 - 22, 2013: 7 Night Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy June 13 - 20, 2015: 7 Night Western Caribbean on the Fantasy
Trips to WDW: 1972 - off site, 1974 - off site, July 1999 - Caribbean Beach, April 2010 - Pop Century, June 2012 - Pop Century, Dec. 2012 - Animal Kingdom Lodge, June 2014 - Pop Century
May 3-10 Western Trippie: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1726945 June 15 - 22 Eastern Trippie http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post48933156
bobbi565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:54 PM   #19
purplepeg
DIS Veteran

I'm so excited to read about your adventure. Looking forward to more

Off Site 1996,All Star Music 1998,All Star Movies 2002, Pop Century 2004, Pop Century2006 ASMu 2008 DVC 2009BLT2009
Old 05-14-2008, 05:43 AM   #20
bobbi565
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeg View Post
I'm so excited to read about your adventure. Looking forward to more
Thanks, purplepeg! I guess I spent too much time on precruise, looks like everyone has lost interest! But I've almost got Day One Onboard ready to post with lots of photos, to I'll put it up soon, just for you!
Cruises To Date:Jan. 25 - 28, 2007: 3 Night Bahamian on the Wonder May 3 - 10, 2008: 7 Night Western Caribbean on the Magic June 15 - 22, 2013: 7 Night Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy June 13 - 20, 2015: 7 Night Western Caribbean on the Fantasy
Trips to WDW: 1972 - off site, 1974 - off site, July 1999 - Caribbean Beach, April 2010 - Pop Century, June 2012 - Pop Century, Dec. 2012 - Animal Kingdom Lodge, June 2014 - Pop Century
May 3-10 Western Trippie: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1726945 June 15 - 22 Eastern Trippie http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post48933156
Old 05-14-2008, 06:13 AM   #21
poffles
Dreamin' Disney

Loving your report. My favorite kind with lots of pictures!
Old 05-14-2008, 07:13 AM   #22
bobbi565
DIS Veteran

Onboard and Sailing Away

Upon boarding, we hightailed it up to Deck 9 and grabbed a couple of drinks of the day (Bay Breeze) en route to a totally empty Mickey Pool. We were dragging with us my overweight day bag, a laptop, a portable DVD player, a camera bag containing camera and camcorder with necessary accessories, a rolling soft-sided cooler full of beer, and DS’s two blankies, two stuffed animals, and one green spikey rubber ball acquired in Myrtle Beach that was to cause me much grief throughout the trip (When we were getting in the car to leave Myrtle Beach, I realized we’d left the ball at the pool and sent DH in to find it, which luckily he did). The whole way to the pool, DH kept complaining, “This early boarding is the pits! You have to drag all your stuff around with you! Next time, I say we board after the room is ready.” After setting down our stuff, I ran DS to the restroom and changed him into his swim trunks. By the time we came out, there were a couple of kids in the pool, and DS was excited to get in. After making sure DH was happy with his beverage, I left him supervising the little guy while I ran errands.

First, I was off to Vista Spa to make a hair appointment. We had Palo brunch scheduled for Monday, formal night, and I had scheduled a manicure and pedicure for later in the afternoon and had hoped to make an appointment to have my hair styled before or after. The receptionist there told me that both spots were open, so I opted for 1:15, an hour before my 2:15 manicure.
Next it was up to guest services to load my DDRDs onto our account and check that all our stateroom credits had been properly applied. The CM at guest services was pretty funny and joked that none of my credits had been applied. When printing out my receipt, he reached under the counter and pulled out a cute stuffed pirate Mickey and started playing with it. “Hey!” I cried out, “We have that same pirate Mickey!” to which he replied, “Are you sure? Or have you lost it?” I said, “No, it’s up in the front pocket of my beach bag!” He repeated, “Are you sure? Because we just found this one.” So I got on the walkie-talkie and buzzed DH who gave me a negative on the pirate Mickey. Crisis miraculously averted! I returned to the Mickey Pool, and life was good. I got a tray from Topsiders and relaxed while DH established his daily routine of a cheeseburger from Pluto’s. Munching on his burger and sipping his second bay breeze, DH smiled and declared, “Early boarding is definitely the way to go!”
At 1:30, I ran down to the room to drop off some of our stuff and put up our door magnets to surprise the boys.

An important note, DH is a journalist for USA Today and came up with the idea of writing a piece for their new supplement, “Open Air”, about how to enjoy your cruise and not gain weight. He had contacted DCL PR prior to the cruise to get some information for the story, and they were very helpful. Well, when I opened our stateroom door, the room was filled with stuff from PR wishing us a great cruise and telling us to keep on running. We had a large tray of fruit, an equally enormous cheese platter, and a bottle of champagne on ice with two glasses! After finishing up there, I headed back up to Deck 9 where DH was stressing a bit about keeping track of DS’s aqua soaker and his green ball. I gave DS the countdown, gathered up his toys, got him out of the pool and got him a slice from Pinocchio’s. I was told that while I was gone, Pluto had visited Deck 9, and DH got a shot of DS with the pup!

We went back to the room a little after 2:00, and the bags started arriving. Just before 3:00, as we were trying to leave for the DIS Maytees Meet at the Promenade Lounge (that’s the name of my meet thread), the GoodyPak arrived---DS was thrilled! GoodyPak ROCKS!! I promise to patronize Shirley on our next cruise, but DS LOVED the GoodyPak! I left the boys sorting the loot and made my way to the Promenade Lounge with my nametags and bag of green bracelets from Oriental Traders (yes, I’m a compulsive planner)! We had a pretty good turnout, and the kids had fun running around on the dance floor. My boys joined us in about 10 minutes, and jdabi and family arrived shortly after.
DH and jdabi

Emiel and Yvet, LCJ1861, and imheather

misslissa and DH

Before long, it was time for the safety drill, which went smoothly and quickly. Then we went back up to the room to stash life vests and headed up for the sail away party. We found a great spot on the rail of Deck 10, directly across from the Ariel View Screen. After the characters and CMs finished their acts, the horn sounded those seven famous notes, and we moved to the rail to watch the shore recede and listen to some music. With DH holding DS and discussing how much fun and excitement we were going to have, the unbelievably blue sky and sea, the barely perceptible motion of the ship, and finally an instrumental version of “When You Wish Upon a Star” (the first dance song at our wedding!) playing in the background, it all became a bit much for me---I welled up with tears of joy!

Next it was back to the room to finish unpacking. Thanks to tips on the DIS, we had our power strip, pop-up hamper, and over-the-door shoe organizer which were all indispensible items! As 6:00 approached, we put on our matching Disney outfits and headed over to Animator’s Palate. Our rotation was APLAAPL, which made me happy because it meant we’d be in Lumiere’s on formal night! When we got to dinner, jdabi and family were already there. We met our servers, Roberto from the Phillipines and Vally from India, and immediately hit it off. Roberto latched right onto DH’s warped sense of humor, and matched him quip for quip. Dinner was great! The chilled melon and mint soup was so refreshing and my main course was an unbelievably delicious seafood curry. DS and I took a walk out to Shutters before dessert and found our embarkation photos, which you’ve already seen. For dessert, I ordered a sinful Kona coffee crème brulee, but was confused that there was no show there the first night, and the next time we returned would be Pirate Night, so when would they do the show?

After dinner Joel couldn’t wait to get into the OC, and jdabi had yet to check in his DS, so we took them over there, and he was off and running. I went over to Shutters , bought photo combo package B knowing full well I’d have to upgrade eventually, and picked up our 3 8x10s. We went back to the stateroom, finished unpacking, picked up DS from the OC, found our first towel animal, a stingray, much to DS's delight, and hit the hay, happy but exhausted!

Next up, The James Gang in the Conch Republic…

Last edited by bobbi565; 05-14-2008 at 08:01 AM. Reason: wrong photo posted
Old 05-14-2008, 07:14 AM   #23
bobbi565
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poffles View Post
Loving your report. My favorite kind with lots of pictures!
Thanks for the encouragement! I just posted more...enjoy.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:49 AM   #24
poffles
Dreamin' Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbi565 View Post
Thanks for the encouragement! I just posted more...enjoy.

Okay ... loving it more and more.

Awesome report and it looks like it was a great trip. I can be a compulsive planner too so I can relate on that level. I enjoy the planning as much as the trip which is good considering the trip goes by so fast.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #25
laura001
DIS Veteran
I had my birthday 242 days ago and I don't run like a duck, does that count??
I came in here to see what was wrong with the bananas

I am loving your report, keep it up!!!

Quick question about the t'shirts you were all wearing your first day, did you make them??? I am thinking that I "might" be able to talk DH into matching shirts if they are nice like those.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #26
bobbi565
DIS Veteran

We got those tee shirts from DisneyShopping.com last year. They have logo shirts in various colors in adult and kids sizes every year, so check online!
Old 05-14-2008, 04:32 PM   #27
jollytammy
Mouseketeer

Love it! Great report!!! Keep up the good work! You have some wonderful pictures.

Christmas Walt Disney World 2007, Disney Magic Eastern Jan. 2006, Disney Magic Western Jan. 3, 2004
jollytammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #28
purplepeg
DIS Veteran

Great report and pictures I can't wait to read more. See lots more people posted. Lots of people read but not many post. I think until you are doing a report you don't realize how important it is to post for the person writing the report.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #29
MaryAz
DIS Veteran

Love the pics and the report! Kept checking back to see if you had continued-never lost interest!!
Mary
11 days until our first dcl cruise!!
MaryAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #30
bobbi565
DIS Veteran

Thanks, all! purplepeg, I just discovered your pretrip! Now I'm reading two of yours! I'm about halfway through with my next entry, so I hope to get it online sometime tomorrow.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: