Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2008, 02:03 AM   #1
emum
An old salt re-living her youth through Disney

Question Fun ways to announce the trip to your kids

Hi All

We're getting closer to the date we've chosen to tell our kids that we're off to Disneyland, and I'm racking my brain trying to think of a wonderful "surprise" way to tell them.

I've thought about purchasing Disney backpacks for each of them with the plane e-tickets inside, but surely there are other posters who've come up with some wonderful ways of announcing their trip, and are happy to give some suggestions.. . please

This really will be a "trip of a lifetime" for them, so I want "WOW" impact

Thanks in advance !
A Month of Disney - completed 2010/11 ....Part 1 - GCH CL 12/25 - 12/29; Part 2 - BWI CL 12/29 - 1/6; Part 3 - Disney Wonder Panama Canal Repo Cruise 1/6 - 1/21; April 2012 - 20th Wedding Anniversary - 4 nights Waikiki, 4 nights Waikoloa (Big Island), and 9 nights Aulani

DVC Members at Aulani since January 2011
July 2013 - Disneyland and Alaska Disney Wonder cruise booked
December 2014 / January 2015 - Undecided, but will do something before DD1 heads off to university

emum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:59 AM   #2
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

We've done a few fun ways to surprise our kids with a Disney trip but our favorite was a scavenger hunt. We had them dress up like pirates or princesses (their choice) and gave them their first clue as to where to find the next. After finding a series of clues in the house, they found a treasure map and "booty bag". The bag had a puzzle in it that they had to work together to put it together. It was a blank puzzle that I found in a craft store and I colored it in with Sharpie marker to say a message like, "You are going to visit Mickey at Disney World (Disneyland, etc.)". I told them they couldn't say anything until the puzzle was all put together, but when they had enough done to see what it said, they just couldn't help but scream with excitement! When it was done, they used their treasure map to find a bag with Disney items for the trip like Disney Crocs, a Disney disposable camera, etc.
My DH video taped the whole thing and we will enjoy watching it for many years to come! It was fun!

minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #3
tofubeast
DIS Veteran

Minniebeth....that idea is beyond awesome. And to think I was just going to suggest have a Character call!

I love the scavenger hunt and puzzle idea. When I have a kid, I am STEALING that idea. Brilliant!

Grew up with DL & also went back in 08(CCI); WDW: 90, 06(POFQ), 07(CSR), Apr09(CSR), Jun09(SSR), Oct09(POP), Sep11(POP), Dec12(BCV/AoA), May13(POP), Aug13, Oct13(BLT), May14(AKV Jambo), Oct14(VWL). Next: Feb15(OKW) & Nov15(DCL Magic). Other: Nov13(VBR), Oct14 (DCL Dream), Nov14(VBR)
Future DVC owner at Disney's Hyperion Resort in 2053!

Past Trip Reports: WDW Oct 07 - DLR "back home"
tofubeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #4
DisneyLover4Ever!
Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy -Walt Disney

Some ideas I had were:
1) Use a character call
2) Make "coupons" With one saying "Good for 1 Trip to Disneyland!"
3) Give them a bag with numbered presents in it each hinting more and more to the big surprise (ie: their park tickets, plane tickets, etc...)
4) Steal Minniebeth's idea
5) tell them you are going somewhere else and then halfway there tell them you've changed your mind and "how bout' Disneyland instead"

Any way that you tell them they will love the surprise of getting a trip to the Happiest Place on Earth....

June 2006- Carousel
June 2007- HoJo
August 2008- Tropicana
DisneyLover4Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Hey, there's no such thing as an original idea! It's not stealing! It's sharing ideas and that's what the Dis is all about!!!

minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #6
TwinsRmyLife
Earning My Ears

we just surprised our kids yesterday with our trip this sat! so excited for a reason to tell about it! we too did a scavenger hunt in our house. they went from clue to clue. it was their 6th birthday as well, so it was extra special. my duaghter is a way more advanced reader than my son(they are twins), so she read all the clues. then at the end I had them heading outside, but it was raining so I put the big sign up on the sliding door heading outside. so they stopped in their tracks to read the sign 'we're going to disneyland in 6 sleeps' it took forever for her to sound out disneyland, then she got that out 'we're going to disneyland', my son whipped his head around, then I said 'when'..she read 'in 6 sleeps' again son whipped his head around and said 'for real?' we said yes, then complete silence...then screams, hugs, jumping around etc...it was so fun and I'm so glad we surprised them instead of just telling them. it was the reaction I had hoped for and more. and we have it all on video, so a memroy we'll all cherich forever.

enjoy your surprise, whatever you do!
TwinsRmyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

We did a treasure hunt, I had clues and they had to follow them to the treasure. The treasure was our packet wrapped in a skull bandana. LOL

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: