Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 05:37 PM   #751
crostorfer
Gryffindor Gal

Aaa

Are there any of the SOG faithful out there that are also AAA members? I considered joining for our trip next year, but it seems like a lot of money to join at one time. Does AAA enable any discounts on top of our military discounts for the hotel and tickets? Is there any advantage to joining?

Old 04-19-2008, 05:44 PM   #752
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

you cannot combine discounts as far as room rates or anything, but the mere security is a BIG factor. we needed AAA our last trip to DL when the car battery went dead. we have also used them in the past to get a better deal on a cruise than our military discount could have gotten us.

for us it's worth the price just to have the peace of mind. If you plan on driving, then it's DEFINITELY worth the price you pay.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #753
Lowillian
Mouseketeer

Wow, hard to believe we've been home for over a week after our very quick weekend trip to SoG. It was great! We hadn't stayed there in over 7 years. It took us a day to find our way around. We were in room 3148. We were really surprised when we went out onto our balcony and there was a huge wall! I'm pretty short and I could barely see over it. If we had stayed longer than a weekend, I would have requested to change rooms. We had a late night dinner at Evergreens when we arrived Friday night. We shared the Alpine chicken wrap and onion rings. Excellent! We ate breakfast at Garden Gallery on Sunday morning. We enjoyed that also. We thought the buses were a little old, but they did the job. I've been recommending SoG to all the military I work with. Beautiful resort.
*Late 60s-71 - Several Day Trips to DL (I lived in SD) *Jan 1997 - Caribbean Beach (First Trip to WDW!) *Sep 1999 - Shades of Green Sep 2000 - Shades of Green Oct 2001 - Shades of Green/Polynesian *Sep 2002 - Polynesian Dec 2002 - Polynesian *Aug 2003 - Grand Californian (Honeymoon) *Apr 2004 - Polynesian *Oct 2004 - Polynesian *Apr 2005 - Polynesian *Jan 2006 -Animal Kingdom Lodge *May 2006 - Polynesian *Oct 2006 - Polynesian *Apr 2007 - Polynesian *Aug 2007 - Grand Floridian *Shades of Green Apr 2008*Aug 2008 - Polynesian*Jul 2009 - Wilderness Lodge*Apr 2010 - Polynesian *Dec 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
Old 04-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #754
4nana
God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Godspeed and thanks to our troops and their families for their sacrifices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowillian View Post
Wow, hard to believe we've been home for over a week after our very quick weekend trip to SoG. It was great! We hadn't stayed there in over 7 years. It took us a day to find our way around. We were in room 3148. We were really surprised when we went out onto our balcony and there was a huge wall! I'm pretty short and I could barely see over it. If we had stayed longer than a weekend, I would have requested to change rooms. We had a late night dinner at Evergreens when we arrived Friday night. We shared the Alpine chicken wrap and onion rings. Excellent! We ate breakfast at Garden Gallery on Sunday morning. We enjoyed that also. We thought the buses were a little old, but they did the job. I've been recommending SoG to all the military I work with. Beautiful resort.

Welcome back to the real world ! Glad you had a good time at SoG and good to hear the food is descent, I've heard so many pros and cons. I'm the kind gal if I don't have to cook or clean up, I'm a happy camper!!

Surprised to hear about high walls on the balcony, you'd think they be wrought iron railing, plexiglass or something - was that possibly the new section? That was the first thing we asked for when we made our ressies in Dec - please give us 'ground' floor rooms w/a play area, and near the pool, for our grands.
We can't wait and feel very fortuante to qualify to stay at SoG!
Blessed with 4 loving kiddos & IL's, 13 sweet grands, 50 Golden Years & Anniv. cruise gift....PRICELESS!!

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children & grandchildren: 'One is roots, the other is wings'.
~~~~~
Life is a journey ~ love makes the trip worthwhile

Grandchildren are God's reward for being a parent

"For He shall give the angels charge over thee, to keep thee safe in all thy ways" Psalms 91:11

For my dear Mom in heaven
Old 04-22-2008, 05:38 AM   #755
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We were in room 3148. We were really surprised when we went out onto our balcony and there was a huge wall! I'm pretty short and I could barely see over it.
I got this photo from the SOG website. In the new section it appears that there are a handful of balconies that don't have the green iron railings. Instead they are obstructed by the large stone facade structures (see the center of the photo). You must have been in one of those rooms - they all seem to be on the third floor. Perhaps some of the balconies below are obstructed, too. But not to the extent that those third-floor rooms are.

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland

Last edited by bigAWL; 11-30-2008 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:00 AM   #756
meriann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
oh that would make me sad to have a blocked view. It sounds like the rest of your trip was NICE!

now I am getting even more excited for our trip!!!!!

Old 04-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #757
mom2jcc
Castle Suite Memories Forever!

SOG and Flying

So do most of you that fly to WDW use Mears for transportation to and from the airport? Are there any other options besides taxis? Just curious.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #758
suevee
I am in a frenzy!
A year later was in the same fix

We rent a car because we like the convenience. Also we often visit my Dad in Lady Lake while we are at WDW.

treehouses '86, SoG 2000, Sog 2002, CR 2003, CR and Poly 2004, Sog 2005, 2006, 2007, March 2008, June 2008, Sog for Feb/Mar 2009, and Oct 2009 thanks to military Salute!!....Following Husband's wishes ...trip in March 2012 with grandson...Family trip in June 2012...
Old 04-22-2008, 01:25 PM   #759
ntsammy5
DIS Veteran

We've used Mears before and it works fine. Mostly we rent a car though.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:27 PM   #760
my2princessgirls
DIS Veteran

We rent a car. We like having a car to get to the parks rather than taking the busses - except for MK since we walk, and occasionaly we walk then take the monorail to Epcot as well.

We have in the past used a car service to get to SOG from MCO and back, and that was nice. That time our friends had their minivan, so we were able to all fit in it to get around during the trip.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #761
hildarumpole
DIS Veteran

The Mouse For Less website has discount codes for various transportation services. We used Sun Ray last year. They were terrific.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #762
ElmerTinaRh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jcc View Post
So do most of you that fly to WDW use Mears for transportation to and from the airport? Are there any other options besides taxis? Just curious.
We used Sun ray Transportion last year and they were great. Using them again in May.

2008 SOG 2007 SOG 2000 Dixie Landings 1997 Poly
Old 04-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #763
mom2jcc
Castle Suite Memories Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildarumpole View Post
The Mouse For Less website has discount codes for various transportation services. We used Sun Ray last year. They were terrific.
Great! Never heard of them before...I'll check it out.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #764
gibsontrio
DIS Veteran

we are using Murray Hill Transportation, they seem to be competitive with the other companies and are pretty friendly so far, they also offer a free booster seat or car seat, stop at the gate to take a picture for you and offer a grocery stop for free!

ME! , Hubby , Cameron , Willow , Roselynn
Old 04-22-2008, 08:45 PM   #765
Poohbeck
DIS Veteran

tiffany town car

is who we've used the last 2 times we went to SOG. I'll prob. use them again this time unless the boards show me a better, still reliable deal!

Shades of Green - November 2008 for MVMCP
Fantasy World Villas - February 2006 - Non-Disney trip - Sea World, NASA & Busch Gardens
Shades of Green - November 2004 - Celebrated 10 year Anniversary a bit early
Shades of Green - April 2000
- 5 year Anniversary

Port Orleans - April 1995 - Honeymoon

Caribbean Beach Resort - March 1993
- College graduation gift to myself

Somewhere Off Site - Spring 1988 - High School Senior Trip

DH 42 (celebrated 40th at Disney!) Me- 40 (celebrated 40th on train going home from Orlando)
DS12 DS14
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: