Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #601
beachgrl001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
When I used DME and flew Spirit Airlines last May (2005), I used a skycap to help the 6 of us get our luggage to the Spirit counter. The skycap used the elevator and beat us to the counter. I'm not quite sure how he did this, and if it was "kosher" than he did this, but he had all of our stuff up at the counter and the ticket agent waved us to come on up to our luggage and check in, even though there was a small line waiting for service. Maybe he waited in line for us and held our place for us? I don't know, but he more than earned his tip!
Are there alot of skycaps around when you are dropped off of ME? (or luggage carts that you can rent) I am traveling w/o my DH (non participating airline) So I will only have DS13y/o to help me with the bags...
Old 04-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #602
stepdisney
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I instantly turned into "one of those moms"
I think I'm going to start looking for ways to fit jive into my daily vocabulary

Not sure where to post this. It is about magical express. We are arriving at Orlando airport but will not be checking in to AKL until 4 days after. We want to ride the ME back to the airport but how will be get from the airport to Universal. Is it possible to ride one way? What do we do with the luggage tags? How would we handle the information if we arrive in orlando earlier than our reservations state for check-in at the Disney resort?

Finally, if we have to rent a car while we are at Universal, can we drop it off somewhere ON Disney's site after we have arrived rather than drive all the way back to the airport and taking the bus to our resort? Confusing?? Hopefully someone knows what I mean.

June 2000 1st trip off site~Oct. 2005 POP~ Aug/Sept. 2007 WL~Aug/Sept. 2008 AKL ~Aug/Sept. 2009 Kidani Village~Aug/Sept. 2010WL/Grand Gathering~ Aug. 2011 YC Aug. 2012 YC CL~Aug. 2014 AKL
stepdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2008, 10:06 PM   #603
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepdisney View Post
Not sure where to post this. It is about magical express. We are arriving at Orlando airport but will not be checking in to AKL until 4 days after. We want to ride the ME back to the airport but how will be get from the airport to Universal. Is it possible to ride one way? What do we do with the luggage tags? How would we handle the information if we arrive in orlando earlier than our reservations state for check-in at the Disney resort?
You can take DME one way, in either direction.

You will receive luggage tags when you make a DME reservation, but the luggage tags will be totally useless to you. I suggest throwing them out, unless you want to put them in a scrapbook. DME luggage tags are used only for the trip from airport to resort (it's how DME knows where to deliver the bags to). There's no such thing as DME tags used for the trip from resort to airport. So like I said, throw them out when you get them.

To get from the airport to Universal, I'd suggest booking a car service. It'll be better service than a taxi, for approximately the same price. Or rent a car if that would be useful for you.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:27 AM   #604
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgrl001 View Post
Are there alot of skycaps around when you are dropped off of ME? (or luggage carts that you can rent) I am traveling w/o my DH (non participating airline) So I will only have DS13y/o to help me with the bags...
I've not really noticed. But, I believe others have said that there are more skycaps in the drop off areas lately. Get that 13 y/o to work lugging bags!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepdisney View Post

Finally, if we have to rent a car while we are at Universal, can we drop it off somewhere ON Disney's site after we have arrived rather than drive all the way back to the airport and taking the bus to our resort? Confusing?? Hopefully someone knows what I mean.
You can book DME before you travel down, or you can wait until you check in at your WDW resort to do it. If you choose to do it beforehand, you can pretty much toss out the yellow tags you get...they will be meaningless to you. If you wait to book until you get to WDW, just talk to the front desk...they will be able to book your return to MCO.

I would book a round trip towncar service from MCO to your Universal resort, then from that resort to the WDW one. It should cost about $115, plus tip.
Or, if you are comfortable driving yourself, pick up a rental car. If you rent through either Alamo or National, you can return the car to either the Dolphin or the Car Care Center (which is close to MK)..the CCC will shuttle you to wherever you need to get back to.
There are also a myriad of rental car companies in the DTD area...some will get you back to your resort as well.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:54 AM   #605
stepdisney
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I instantly turned into "one of those moms"
I think I'm going to start looking for ways to fit jive into my daily vocabulary

Thanks guys. Would you book the towncar service because of the parking at Universal? We will be staying on site so we won't need transportation to Universal, however, we will be visiting aquatica and may need a car. We've never done Universal, just Disney, and we've never used a car at all at Disney. Can you rent a car for the same $115 that the town car service would cost? Will the town car service let us stop at the local walmart for water or do me need to have it delivered? Is there an additional charge for returning a car to a different location such as Disney CCC?

Sorry that I have so many questions but this is all new for us. We just jumped on the ME bus both ways the last time. It was convenient and the kids thought of it as their first & last ride. The more I think about it, the more I think a car may be useful, especially since we are unfamiliar with the universal area. If we don't like the experience, we can drive to DTD.

Thanks for your help and feel free to continue suggesting.

June 2000 1st trip off site~Oct. 2005 POP~ Aug/Sept. 2007 WL~Aug/Sept. 2008 AKL ~Aug/Sept. 2009 Kidani Village~Aug/Sept. 2010WL/Grand Gathering~ Aug. 2011 YC Aug. 2012 YC CL~Aug. 2014 AKL
stepdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:57 AM   #606
beachgrl001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I've not really noticed. But, I believe others have said that there are more skycaps in the drop off areas lately. Get that 13 y/o to work lugging bags!!!
Oh I will!
Old 04-12-2008, 08:14 PM   #607
pskelly
What is your favorite ride at Disney World?

Ok I am sure this has been asked but I just cant find it, so, I have DME booked but I booked the flights on my own. Do I need to call DME and let them know the arrival and departure flight information?

TIA

DisDad Club member #22
pskelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:57 AM   #608
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskelly View Post
Ok I am sure this has been asked but I just cant find it, so, I have DME booked but I booked the flights on my own. Do I need to call DME and let them know the arrival and departure flight information?

TIA
Not really. You can, but it really doesn't make a lot of difference. They will see your tagged bags and grab them automatically. Then, when you checkin upon arrival, you will be asked about your return flight info in order to schedule your return time.
Call if you want but don't obsess over it.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:35 AM   #609
pskelly
What is your favorite ride at Disney World?

Thanks goofy4tink, just wanted to make sure it wasnt going to be a problem.

DisDad Club member #22
pskelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:01 AM   #610
wdwnomad
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know how RAC is going to be handling passengers who have more bags than their airline's allowance? Will we be able to check-in using RAC or will we have to check-in at the airport?
All Star Sports - Sept 2008
All Star Music - Dec 2008, Dec 2009
Coronado Springs - Aug 2009, Aug 2011
Port Orleans - Riverside - Aug 2010
Beach Club - Dec 2010, Dec 2013
Boardwalk - Aug 2012
Old Key West - Aug 2014

wdwnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:10 AM   #611
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwnomad View Post
Does anyone know how RAC is going to be handling passengers who have more bags than their airline's allowance? Will we be able to check-in using RAC or will we have to check-in at the airport?
That's a good question. You have to think of RAC as 'curbside checkin'. If you went up to Delta's curbside checkin they wouldn't allow the second bag free of charge. But, RAC represents 8 airlines....I'm going to 'assume' they will hold the guest to the same restrictions the individual airlines do. But it will be interesting to see how it shakes out.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #612
Chip 'n Dale Express
Can't stay put!
I met lots of DIS'ers during my purple-panted tenure
I'm just fine with being terrific instead

As far as I know, they cannot accept money. So extra baggage has to be checked directly with the airline.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #613
wdwnomad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip 'n Dale Express View Post
As far as I know, they cannot accept money. So extra baggage has to be checked directly with the airline.
Thanks for the replies. I knew you weren't allowed to check in overweight luggage because they don't take cash. But didn't that mean you had to check-in at the airport with all of your bags then? Don't you need to check-in everything at once? If yes, then you would need to check-in at airport as well if you had a second bag?

I was wondering if they would change how they operate because of so many airlines starting to charge for the second bag.
All Star Sports - Sept 2008
All Star Music - Dec 2008, Dec 2009
Coronado Springs - Aug 2009, Aug 2011
Port Orleans - Riverside - Aug 2010
Beach Club - Dec 2010, Dec 2013
Boardwalk - Aug 2012
Old Key West - Aug 2014

wdwnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #614
MICKEY1024
Mouseketeer

do the ME busses only pick up at resorts at certain times, i dont see why we really need to be at the airport 3 hours before flying out, we usually just get there an hour and half to 2 hours before our flights to florida. our plan leaves at 5:30 from MCO so what time should we really be leaving All Star Movie to get to the airport???
March 2006-Offsite
April/May 2008-All Star Movie Resort *Best Trip Ever*
April 2009- Dcousin First Trip All Star Movie Resort
Feb 2010- All Star Sport Resort 1st Princess Half!
June 2013- Disney Honeymoon!! Polynesian
Feb 2014- All Star Movie!! Glass Slipper Challenge!!!!!
MICKEY1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #615
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKEY1024 View Post
do the ME busses only pick up at resorts at certain times, i dont see why we really need to be at the airport 3 hours before flying out, we usually just get there an hour and half to 2 hours before our flights to florida. our plan leaves at 5:30 from MCO so what time should we really be leaving All Star Movie to get to the airport???
Each resort has a preset time, at 30 min intervals, that the bus can come to pick up. So, for a 5:30 flight, you would be given a p/u time of about 2:30 give or take. Why? Because there are other stops to be made. It is 30 mins to MCO from WDW...so if you wanted to get to MCO on your own, and be at the airport the 2 hrs before departure as suggested by MCO, you would have to leave your resort by 3:00. With DME you leave 30 mins earlier. So..you can see that you are not at the airport 3 hrs early, just 30 mins early.

And you can not count on another bus coming along 30 mins later. The buses to not automatically go to each resort. They only go to resorts that have people with reservations for DME at that time. So..if there are no other guests at Movies going back to MCO 30 mins after your bus, then you won't have a bus to get on if you don't take the one you are scheduled for.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: