Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #931
LastLookAtTheCastle
You look like an Elvis fan.

Oh no hopes up here. I'm not worried in the slightest! Any day at the Poly is a good day!

I'm just wondering if I should change the res now to surprise my mom... this far out, what's another couple hundred dollars?
Old 04-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #932
karenos
Mouseketeer

Question: I stayed at the Poly in the early 80s

with my family. I swear I remember swimming in the Lagoon. Am I mistaken?

Thanks.

Karen
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #933
WickedWench
Ruthless Pirate turned Polynesian Princess

I'm not sure when they stopped, but at one time you could swim in the lagoon. I know you could for sure in the 70s, dunno about the 80s.

View my Disney photos here.

Early 2010 ????? / Oct 2007 Polynesian & Animal Kingdom Lodge / Oct 2005 Grand Californian / June 2003 Boardwalk Inn / 1988 Grand Floridian / 1987, 1986 Polynesian / 1985 Treehouses / 1984 Contemporary & Polynesian / 1983, 1982, 1981 Polynesian / 1980 Fort Wilderness / 1979, 1978 Polynesian / 1977 Contemporary / May 1976 Polynesian

Old 04-02-2008, 12:16 PM   #934
typhoonlagooner
Big girls can wear water wings too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenos View Post
with my family. I swear I remember swimming in the Lagoon. Am I mistaken?

Thanks.

Karen
Nope... your good

When the Polynesian and Contemporary orginially opened you were in fact allowed to swim in the lagoon and bay lake. In fact, the Polynesian even had a "floating deck" to lounge and jump of several meters from the shore!

At one time Disney placed a wave machine to create waves on the beach area but due to extensive beach erosion, the wave machine was shut down. I believe I've read rumors that Disney was infact trying again within the last few years.

I'm not sure the official date of of "closure" but I've read swimming was no longer allowed due to an excessive increase in bacteria that tends to grow in warm waters of Florida as well as the risk of crocs (the real ones, not the shoes )
Old 04-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #935
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoonlagooner View Post
I'm not sure the official date of of "closure" but I've read swimming was no longer allowed due to an excessive increase in bacteria that tends to grow in warm waters of Florida as well as the risk of crocs (the real ones, not the shoes )
For the record, while it is officially not allowed, in September we saw plenty of people swimming and playing in the lagoon, and not one CM tried to stop any of them. Why anyone would want that "water" to touch their skin is beyond me, though
Old 04-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #936
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night

Another question......DH and I will be celebrating or 14th anniversary during our trip so I was checking out the cake thread on the restaurant board. WAY too many pages to sort through so I was wondering if anyone had a custom made cake delivered to their room at the Poly? I would love to get a Donald/Daisy cake since that is DH's favorite characters. Do I call Private Dining to order? I think I would like to have it delivered on our 2nd or 3rd night.
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge
Old 04-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #937
DLo
DIS Veteran

Quick room request question. Which do you think is more important longhouse or balcony ? My mom likes to have her morning coffee sitting on the balcony but I really want location, location, location.

On another thread, someone suggested I skip the longhouse request and just ask for a balcony. We also requested connecting rooms which is our number one priority. The poster thought this request would be harder to fill if I requested a particular longhouse. We have been lucky every trip and have gotten connecting rooms every time . We have also never requested a particular location in the resort.

My actual request as of now is - connecting rooms - Tokelau, Rapa Nui, or Tahiti - 2nd or 3rd floor. These are GV rooms.

Thanks
Oct 2006 - WL Nov 2007 - GF Nov 2008 - Poly
Oct 2009 - BC Oct 2010 - BWI Oct 2011 YC May 2014 YC
Old 04-02-2008, 06:35 PM   #938
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Top floors will have the balcony's - 2nd floors especially on the older buildings do not...

Someone else who has been there more recently may be able to help more...

I always ask for the balcony along with my longhouse - I have been lucky to get both, but I go semi off season and I think it's a better bet then... no guarantee, but better...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Old 04-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #939
grecorj
Dis Obsessed

Quote:
as well as the risk of crocs (the real ones, not the shoes )
That would be alligators, not crocs. I always remember which is which either by thinking of Florida Gators or the 'a' in alligators for 'america'.

Crocs are found in places like Australia -- think "Crocodile Hunter'.

;-)
Old 04-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #940
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLo View Post
My actual request as of now is - connecting rooms - Tokelau, Rapa Nui, or Tahiti - 2nd or 3rd floor. These are GV rooms.

Thanks
All second and third floor rooms in those longhouses do have balconies. Since Tahiti and Tokelau are the largest longhouses and Rapa Nui is a decent size, I would guess that you would have a very good chance at getting that request.

It seems a nice broad yet clear request to me. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #941
Mom2twinboys
Now mom to 3 boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecorj View Post
That would be alligators, not crocs. I always remember which is which either by thinking of Florida Gators or the 'a' in alligators for 'america'.

;-)
Actually there are American Crocodiles typically found in the Florida Everglades, although the alligator is more prevalent. I'm just full of useless knowledge
Old 04-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #942
DLo
DIS Veteran

Thanks BCV23 and Tink Rules for your responses. I think I will keep the request as is. We have 7 loooong months to go so I have plenty of time to change if needed.
Oct 2006 - WL Nov 2007 - GF Nov 2008 - Poly
Oct 2009 - BC Oct 2010 - BWI Oct 2011 YC May 2014 YC
Old 04-02-2008, 11:15 PM   #943
wdwdancerwannabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecorj View Post

;-)

Well, regardless of what they're called, has anyone ever heard of a sighting of these creatures in the lagoon? I think that's some info I may need to know ---- not too interested in coming across one!

Saratoga Springs 2011 - 15 days:
Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2766409

WDW Dancer Wannabe
Old 04-02-2008, 11:42 PM   #944
TotalSnowWhite
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Again, no matter what they're called...I laughed out loud at that one.

Funny Croc story...
My mom advertised a new/never worn pair of gold Mary Jane Crocs on Craigslist today (she can't find the receipt). The first call she gets is from a man who says he is interested. A little confused, she keeps talking. He asks her if they're real alligator skin or fake. He thought they were alligator boots!! When she told him they were Crocs brand women's shoes, he replied, "Oh, you mean the kind with the holes?" OK, I'm done being OT.

Back to Poly talk.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:48 PM   #945
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLo View Post
Thanks BCV23 and Tink Rules for your responses. I think I will keep the request as is. We have 7 loooong months to go so I have plenty of time to change if needed.
Also... ask when you get there to see on the map where your room is...if you don't like the area, politely ask to be reassigned...it's usually not a problem unless they are sold out...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: