Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:24 AM   #796
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderellyCinderelly View Post
How bad is it there in August? How are the crowds? Temperature? My family says it will be too crowded and too hot, which is why they don't want to go back!! Any ideas to convince them otherwise?!
August is the only month of the year that we haven't stayed at the Polynesian. So I can't tell you from personal experience but it is value season at the Polynesian. So considerably less than Spring break/Easter.

The deluxe resorts just aren't as busy during the hottest, most humid time of the year.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #797
DeborahB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderellyCinderelly View Post
Just got back and the Wishes music was piped in on the beach in front of our building, Hawaii. I could hear it from our room. It was awesome! It was Easter week and there were still spots on the beach to watch, but if you wanted a hammock then you might want to get there earlier!

How bad is it there in August? How are the crowds? Temperature? My family says it will be too crowded and too hot, which is why they don't want to go back!! Any ideas to convince them otherwise?!

I'm SO EXCITED to post all of my pictures, but I left my camera cord @ school and won't be back there until April 7th!! But I took a BUNCH of pics and can't wait to share!!

Cinderelly We were at the Poly August 9-13 last year. It wasn't too crowded, but it was so hot and humid I felt like I was melting as soon as I walked out the door. It made for a difficult time in the parks. We decided the summer at WDW is just not for us.
I did hear some people saying that FL was having an exceptionally hot summer, though.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2008, 08:39 AM   #798
senecabeach
people don't stop playing because they have grown old.....they have grown old because they have stopped playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahB View Post
38 more sleeps for us too!!! Maybe we'll see you there! Can't wait!
Cool !! It'll be me and a girlfriend (with an ecv)..I'll have a "green Mickey" on my camera bag ...so don't be shy...say Hi !!
Old 03-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #799
DeborahB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by senecabeach View Post
Cool !! It'll be me and a girlfriend (with an ecv)..I'll have a "green Mickey" on my camera bag ...so don't be shy...say Hi !!
Will do! Just me and my DH on this trip. Looks like I need something lime green too!
Old 03-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #800
jackdis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK View Post
If annual pass rates come out for August, I think we'll be able to go for 3 nights before our bounceback free dining begins!!!! Fingers crossed!!

We also booked the bounceback for August when we were there this month. I should start looking for AP rates, too. Is there a free dining program out right now? Was that part of your bounceback offer?

Thanks for any info!!!
1990 WDW Grad Nite 2003 Swan and Dolphin Disney Wonder Aug. 2004 Hawaii June 2005 POFQ April 2006 CBR June-July 2006 POP Aug. 2006 POP February 2007 HawaiiMar.-Apr. 2007 POPJuly NCL Cruise to Bermuda Aug.-Sept. 2007 POP November 2007 POP Feb. 2008 NOLA/Carnival Cruise to Mexico March2008POPMay 2008 RCCL Bahamas/EPCOTAugust 2008 POLY CL Dec. 08/Jan. 09 CBR Feb. 2009 POFQ JULY 2009 POLY CL
March 2010 BLT JULY 2010 BLTFeb 2011 1 night at BLT post cruiseJULY 2011 BLT
July 2012 Off property
July 2013 BLT/AKL
Old 03-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #801
typhoonlagooner
Big girls can wear water wings too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23 View Post
The deluxe resorts just aren't as busy during the hottest, most humid time of the year.
Hmm can someone elaborate on this?

We haven't traveled in August since 2003 and 2002 and both times were at CBR. We never thought it was overly crowded but I'm having nightmares about the Poly pool being packed full, the beach crowded, etc.

Do the deluxes rarely sell out in the summer months (excluding peak holidays)?
Old 03-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #802
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoonlagooner View Post

We haven't traveled in August since 2003 and 2002 and both times were at CBR. We never thought it was overly crowded but I'm having nightmares about the Poly pool being packed full, the beach crowded, etc.

I've been to WDW & Polynesian twice in July and once in August and the worst (weather-wise) was the early July trip. In 2005 we were there right after 4th of July and the weather was horrendously hot and HUMID. Heat index was 114 degrees.

Last summer was our end-of-July trip and I was very pleasantly surprised to feel that while it was "hot", there wasn't much humidity and it wasn't at all unpleasant to be outdoors.

In 2006 we were there at the end of August and the weather was nowhere as bad as our July 2005 trip. I honestly think that in the summer it can be hit or miss in regards to how humid it can be. 90 degrees with low humidity is not bad at all, but add in high humidity and it's very difficult to breathe, and extremely uncomfortable to be outdoors for long periods of time, especially while moving through a theme park!

As for crowds in the PARKS, I didn't think the crowds were too bad in late July and late August, but the week following 4th of July was pretty crowded.

During all 3 of my summer trips, I honestly did not find the pool at the Polynesian to be overly or uncomfortably crowded. There was always room to swim; in other words it was NOT elbow-to-elbow in the pool. At least, not during the times I've been there.

I don't know about the deluxes actually selling out or not in the summer months but I know that the Polynesian is usually at capacity or close to capacity, most of the time, although perhaps the summer months are less so, I'm really not sure. Having said that, I've never found it to be too crowded.

I hope this info is helpful, and as always, it reflects only my own personal experiences

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
John Terry Craig Robby Mushu BrownFamilyVacations.com

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
Old 03-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #803
typhoonlagooner
Big girls can wear water wings too...

Seaspray... as always you've been helpful and thank you so much for your time and effort with this FAQ I've loved looking through the pics on your family's vacation site... seems like you've had some great vacations (and memories)!

I've been comparing our experience in March to what's "expected" for our week in August and it seems pretty even park crowd wise. We had no complaints or issues with rides and wait times but the park was definately 'busy' with lots of congestion.

I'm really nervous about the heat but LOVE the fact that I have a resort like the Polynesian to 'retreat' to. In September (which didn't end up as brutal as we were expecting) we were at ASmu and there wasn't much escape to crowds and heat with exception to the room!

I've read that the deluxe resorts tend to 'struggle' during certain times of the year due to the price tag but it wouldn't surprise me if, like you said, the Poly tends to be at capacity or close to year round. As of right now, every category is available for our dates and I'm hoping that since the week "should" fall right before the free dinning offer, we won't run into excessive crowds.

Hopefully the Poly will turn out to be the ideal vacation retreat and if anything, one of those lapu lapus will certainly make it seem that way lol!
Old 03-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #804
LETSGOFAM
Mouseketeer

Ok, we plan on getting up early every morning and grabbing a quick bite at Captain Cook's - we have a character breakfast at the poly on the Saturday that we leave to come back home. I really don't want to miss out on the EMH mornings but I also wanted to try the press pot everyone talks about and the yummy tonga toast and macademia nut pancakes. I was hoping they would be offered during the character breakfast - is it just a buffet?
2008 7 NIGHTS AT POLYNESIAN!
2010 4 NIGHTS PORT ORLEANS THEN 5 NIGHT KEY WEST CRUISE ON THE DISNEY WONDER!
2012 7 NIGHT EASTERN CARIBBEAN CRUISE ON THE FANTASY!
2014 7 NIGHT EASTERN CARIBBEAN CRUISE ON THE FANTASY!

Old 03-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #805
SeaSpray

Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETSGOFAM View Post
Ok, we plan on getting up early every morning and grabbing a quick bite at Captain Cook's - we have a character breakfast at the poly on the Saturday that we leave to come back home. I really don't want to miss out on the EMH mornings but I also wanted to try the press pot everyone talks about and the yummy tonga toast and macademia nut pancakes. I was hoping they would be offered during the character breakfast - is it just a buffet?

The character breakfast at the Polynesian resort is held at 'Ohana. It's all-you-care-to-eat, but the food is brought out to your table on platters. You don't go to the food as in a regular buffet; the food is brought out to you.

Having said that, they do not serve Tonga Toast, Pineapple Macadamia pancakes, or the 100% Kona coffee press pot at 'Ohana since it's a fixed menu. Those items are served at the Kona Cafe which is on the second floor of the Great Ceremonial House and is just a very short distance (maybe 30 feet) from the entrance to 'Ohana.

If you can alter your touring plans you might want to try both!

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
Old 03-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #806
BCV23

Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETSGOFAM View Post
The character breakfast at 'Ohana is served family style. Your table will receive platters of eggs, waffles, etc..

Perhaps consider room service one EMH day. Macadamia pancakes and Tonga Toast are on the menu. I don't remember ever seeing the presspot on it, but you could ask. If it's possible, I'm sure they would do it for you. Room service will deliver as early as 6am and is a great way to start the day.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #807
SeaSpray

Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Seaspray... as always you've been helpful and thank you so much for your time and effort with this FAQ I've loved looking through the pics on your family's vacation site... seems like you've had some great vacations (and memories)!

I've been comparing our experience in March to what's "expected" for our week in August and it seems pretty even park crowd wise. We had no complaints or issues with rides and wait times but the park was definately 'busy' with lots of congestion.

I'm really nervous about the heat but LOVE the fact that I have a resort like the Polynesian to 'retreat' to. In September (which didn't end up as brutal as we were expecting) we were at ASmu and there wasn't much escape to crowds and heat with exception to the room!

I've read that the deluxe resorts tend to 'struggle' during certain times of the year due to the price tag but it wouldn't surprise me if, like you said, the Poly tends to be at capacity or close to year round. As of right now, every category is available for our dates and I'm hoping that since the week "should" fall right before the free dinning offer, we won't run into excessive crowds.

Hopefully the Poly will turn out to be the ideal vacation retreat and if anything, one of those lapu lapus will certainly make it seem that way lol!

You're welcome! I'm always so glad to know that other people are enjoying our pictures!

I hope you have great weather for your trip, and if not, a Lapu Lapu (or two. LOL) will make you feel better!

[/center]
Old 03-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #808
cutedisneygirly
DIS Veteran

Showers

I have a funny question for all of you:

I know that since the Poly is an older resort that the shower heads are not as high as the newer resorts. My DFi is 6'1, so he doesn't care for the shorter shower heads since it makes it hard for him to wash his hair (I am 5'5, so it doesn't matter to me ). However, I am wondering if the three newer longhouses do have higher showerheads, or is the height the same throughout the resort?
Also, if they are all shorter, can the showerheads be adjusted (swiveled)?

TIA!!!
April '13: BWPPI; Dec '12: HOJO; Jan '12: BWPPI/DLH; Oct '10: HOJO; Aug '10: BWA; May '10: HOJO; Dec '09: DLH; May '08: DLH; Oct '07: GCH (DH proposed); March '06: BWPPI; Oct '04: Tropicana; May '04: PVI; Dec '03: BWPPI; May '03: DLH; Oct '02 & May '01: DI&S; '00, '98, & '97: CCI; '96 CI; '92 & '89 DLH; '86
Old 03-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #809
BCV23

Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutedisneygirly View Post
I have a funny question for all of you:

I know that since the Poly is an older resort that the shower heads are not as high as the newer resorts. My DFi is 6'1, so he doesn't care for the shorter shower heads since it makes it hard for him to wash his hair (I am 5'5, so it doesn't matter to me ). However, I am wondering if the three newer longhouses do have higher showerheads, or is the height the same throughout the resort?
Also, if they are all shorter, can the showerheads be adjusted (swiveled)?

TIA!!!
They can be swiveled.

I've never noticed if there's a difference in the newer longhouse. But my DH who is 6' has never had a problem. Of course, he travels all the time and is used to different showers. I sometimes wonder if some who complain about that just are so accustomed to a higher showerhead at home that it bothers them.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:04 PM   #810
BCV23

Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:

We've been at the Polynesian when it was oversold and the beach is never a problem.

I don't think the Polynesian is always at 100% though. I'm an early riser and you can tell by the number of doors without a paper outside of them.

The rates at the deluxe resorts wouldn't fall in July if there wasn't a dropoff in occupancy. However, just a few years ago I know value season started right after July 4. Now it is pushed back to the 20th so mid July must have picked up in occupancy levels at the deluxe resorts.

We have rarely gone in the summer but the 3 or 4 times we've stayed at the Polynesian in that season, the pools haven't been as crowded as Spring break for instance. One Saturday night is an exception in our experience. But I really think that might have been a case of locals at the pool. It was like one big party and suddenly got very quiet.

But the humidity in the summer can be amazing. In the am, it hangs like a haze sometimes. And the strength of the sun is something too. We get quite hot and humid in the midWest but the sun doesn't beat down like it does in FL.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: