Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-22-2008, 04:00 PM   #646
Briggidge2
Mouseketeer
 
Briggidge2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Boondocks, MD
Posts: 101

Hello all! We'll be taking our first ever trip to WDW in Aug '08 when the DH comes back from Iraq and we were wanting to stay at the Poly for a week, but due to budgeting we're only gonna be able to stay 3 days at the Poly and then 3 days at SOG. This might sound like a duh question, but sould we stay at the Poly on the second half of the trip, so we're not so disappointed with SOG? We're really excited and i'm obessing with this trip so to take my mind off of my DH's deployment.

__________________
DH: ME: DS (12)DD(7) DS(6)
ANd of course--Kit Jax
First visit: AUG08 SOG/POLY!
Second trip: APR 3-8 09 BWI!!!
Briggidge2 is offline  
Old 03-22-2008, 04:03 PM   #647
DarkwingDuck1979
Mouseketeer
 
DarkwingDuck1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 146

Just booked a 4 night stay for June. Very excited.
__________________
My Disney World Trips

May 1985 - off property
April 1993 - off property
May 2002 - off property
December 2003 - off property
August 2004 - off property
September 2005 - All Star Music Resort
January 2007 - Pop Century Resort
November 2007 - Coronado Springs Resort
June 2008 - Polynesian Resort
November 2008 - Polynesian Resort
DarkwingDuck1979 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #648
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas
 
RachelTori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Georgia & SSR
Posts: 13,363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggidge2 View Post
Hello all! We'll be taking our first ever trip to WDW in Aug '08 when the DH comes back from Iraq and we were wanting to stay at the Poly for a week, but due to budgeting we're only gonna be able to stay 3 days at the Poly and then 3 days at SOG. This might sound like a duh question, but sould we stay at the Poly on the second half of the trip, so we're not so disappointed with SOG? We're really excited and i'm obessing with this trip so to take my mind off of my DH's deployment.

First, hugs to you and your DH. Thank you to your DH for his service to us and thank you to you for the sacrifices you have to make. I'm sure it's not easy with 3 young children; so a great big hug & THANK YOU.

I would suggest saving the Poly for last - and here's a dose of pixie dust that you have a fabulous, well deserved vacation, and an upgrade when you check-in!!
__________________
LOR-uh



RachelTori is offline  
Old 03-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #649
packerbeth
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggidge2 View Post
Hello all! We'll be taking our first ever trip to WDW in Aug '08 when the DH comes back from Iraq and we were wanting to stay at the Poly for a week, but due to budgeting we're only gonna be able to stay 3 days at the Poly and then 3 days at SOG. This might sound like a duh question, but sould we stay at the Poly on the second half of the trip, so we're not so disappointed with SOG? We're really excited and i'm obessing with this trip so to take my mind off of my DH's deployment.


Blessings to you during your DH's deployment. My brother is set to return next week after being in Iraq since January 2007 and I know it hasn't been easy for his wife and daughters. They are celebrating his return with a trip to WDW, as well! I'm so glad to say that we'll be there at the same time so we can see him, too!

I've heard lots of great things about SOG; that's where my brother is staying, also.
packerbeth is offline  
Old 03-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #650
amaycatbaker
Disney Nut
 
amaycatbaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 178

STAY SoG First!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggidge2 View Post
Hello all! We'll be taking our first ever trip to WDW in Aug '08 when the DH comes back from Iraq and we were wanting to stay at the Poly for a week, but due to budgeting we're only gonna be able to stay 3 days at the Poly and then 3 days at SOG. This might sound like a duh question, but sould we stay at the Poly on the second half of the trip, so we're not so disappointed with SOG? We're really excited and i'm obessing with this trip so to take my mind off of my DH's deployment.

I have been to Shades of Green STAY THERE FIRST!!! Then you will appreciate the better transportation that the Poly offers.

While my husband is deployed to the middle east (he is leaving in May), I am taking my children to Poly this year, to take my mind and theirs off of missing daddy. It took a long time to make the decision and many resort changes.

I wish you could stay longer at the Poly. We walked through the lobby many times from the TTC to walk back the SoG, we had waited at the TTC for the transportation to SoG for a long time before we decided to walk. My husband thought the lobby was beautiful, I thought that I would be back at my room sooner if we had decided to stay there. ( I was four months pregnant and tired.)

We are going to go to Poly in the spring next year when my husband returns from his six months, (he's navy). So my advice is stay SoG first, then you will enjoy Poly better.
__________________
Wife to Aaron 9 years Mother to: Ninja Son15 DD3 DD2 and DS 9mons
amaycatbaker is offline  
Old 03-22-2008, 06:53 PM   #651
Briggidge2
Mouseketeer
 
Briggidge2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Boondocks, MD
Posts: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post
First, hugs to you and your DH. Thank you to your DH for his service to us and thank you to you for the sacrifices you have to make. I'm sure it's not easy with 3 young children; so a great big hug & THANK YOU.

I would suggest saving the Poly for last - and here's a dose of pixie dust that you have a fabulous, well deserved vacation, and an upgrade when you check-in!!

Thank you for your very kind words. It's not easy with three kids and him being gone, but we stay pretty busy with sports and school and other activities. And I hope some of that pixie dust lands my way and we get a nice upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbeth View Post
Blessings to you during your DH's deployment. My brother is set to return next week after being in Iraq since January 2007 and I know it hasn't been easy for his wife and daughters. They are celebrating his return with a trip to WDW, as well! I'm so glad to say that we'll be there at the same time so we can see him, too!

I've heard lots of great things about SOG; that's where my brother is staying, also.
Bless your brother and his family! That is a very long time. My DH has been gone since August and it hasn't been easy, but like I said above, the key is to stay really really busy. (and to plan an awesome vacation to Disney!)

Since he's been gone for over a year, he probably got the "R&R" deal at SOG. My DH will be short the 12 month minimum for the discount, but it's all good. I'm just happy he'll be coming home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaycatbaker View Post
I have been to Shades of Green STAY THERE FIRST!!! Then you will appreciate the better transportation that the Poly offers.

While my husband is deployed to the middle east (he is leaving in May), I am taking my children to Poly this year, to take my mind and theirs off of missing daddy. It took a long time to make the decision and many resort changes.

I wish you could stay longer at the Poly. We walked through the lobby many times from the TTC to walk back the SoG, we had waited at the TTC for the transportation to SoG for a long time before we decided to walk. My husband thought the lobby was beautiful, I thought that I would be back at my room sooner if we had decided to stay there. ( I was four months pregnant and tired.)

We are going to go to Poly in the spring next year when my husband returns from his six months, (he's navy). So my advice is stay SoG first, then you will enjoy Poly better.
My kids miss their daddy tons. He's actually coming home for R&R in a handful of days for 10 days and he's back to the sandbox until sometime this summer. (he's Navy too, but he went IA if you know what that means) I asked him if he wanted to go to Disney for his R&R but he wanted to stay home and do the trip to Disney when he got home for good. He hasn't seen the pics of the Poly yet (he has limited internet acess where he's at) but I know he'll love it. It just seems like a relaxing type of place for someone who has been through a lot of craziness. I just wish I could just wave a wand and make August be here tomorrow!

And it's good to know that the Poly and SOG is so close that we can walk from one to another! I didn't know that! Thanks for the info!
__________________
DH: ME: DS (12)DD(7) DS(6)
ANd of course--Kit Jax
First visit: AUG08 SOG/POLY!
Second trip: APR 3-8 09 BWI!!!
Briggidge2 is offline  
Old 03-22-2008, 07:54 PM   #652
amaycatbaker
Disney Nut
 
amaycatbaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 178

Quote:
My kids miss their daddy tons. He's actually coming home for R&R in a handful of days for 10 days and he's back to the sandbox until sometime this summer. (he's Navy too, but he went IA if you know what that means) I asked him if he wanted to go to Disney for his R&R but he wanted to stay home and do the trip to Disney when he got home for good. He hasn't seen the pics of the Poly yet (he has limited internet acess where he's at) but I know he'll love it. It just seems like a relaxing type of place for someone who has been through a lot of craziness. I just wish I could just wave a wand and make August be here tomorrow!

And it's good to know that the Poly and SOG is so close that we can walk from one to another! I didn't know that! Thanks for the info!
Yup, I know what you mean (the IA thing), my hubby is in a boat unit. He is not on a ship. They are on a rotation that takes him this year to the middle east. Where? I don't know, I'm hoping he will be in Kuate, where Jessica Simpson was . This is a back to back deployable tour for my hubby, he was over there two years ago.

Your welcome for the info. Shades of Green is nice, I just like Disney transportation better. This is my first stay at the Poly, when hubby is gone.

When he gets back we are going to Disney, but it will be at spring break. I already bought the tickets for that trip.
__________________
Wife to Aaron 9 years Mother to: Ninja Son15 DD3 DD2 and DS 9mons
amaycatbaker is offline  
Old 03-23-2008, 11:31 AM   #653
Hensandchickens
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Washington (state)
Posts: 139

Fireworks every night?

Are there fireworks that can be seen every night from the Poly? I looked on the Disney calender and on the P&P nights they didn't list any fireworks. I thought that I read that P&P has different fireworks than Wishes. My Dad is going to Disney with us and the one thing he is really looking forward to is seeing fireworks every night. He loves them.
__________________
Hensandchickens is offline  
Old 03-23-2008, 11:36 AM   #654
MsStinkerBelle
Hittin' WDW Since Space Mountain was 'Coming Soon'
 
MsStinkerBelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Philly 'burbs
Posts: 2,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensandchickens View Post
Are there fireworks that can be seen every night from the Poly? I looked on the Disney calender and on the P&P nights they didn't list any fireworks. I thought that I read that P&P has different fireworks than Wishes. My Dad is going to Disney with us and the one thing he is really looking forward to is seeing fireworks every night. He loves them.

Yes indeed there are fireworks that can be seen from the Poly every night. During the P&P parties there is the 'Mayhem' fireworks special just for those nights. And yes, can can see the fireworks from the Poly for the P&P party nights.

Hope that helps! I'm sure your father will enjoy the show!
__________________
Proud Disney Company Stockholder
Grand Californian/DLR (Oct '10) Grand Floridian (Jun '10) Polynesian (Dec '06, Aug '07, Dec '08) Pop (Apr '07, Aug '08, Dec '08) POFQ (Dec '06, Apr '07) AKL(Dec '07)

MsStinkerBelle is offline  
Old 03-23-2008, 02:40 PM   #655
Native NYer
DIS Veteran
 
Native NYer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 7,954

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkwingDuck1979 View Post
Just booked a 4 night stay for June. Very excited.
Yay!!!! You'll love the Poly. It's beautiful, relaxing, and serene.
__________________
Jennifer

Native NYer is offline  
Old 03-23-2008, 04:05 PM   #656
amberandolly
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 204

Can you go and sit at the beach with a drink / snack if you're not a poly guest?
I would like to visit the poly for lunch when at MK for some "chill out" time as we will be there from rope drop until closing on the 30 April - the poly seems the perfect location for a rest for an hour or two.
amberandolly is offline  
Old 03-23-2008, 06:15 PM   #657
NCDisneyMom
DIS Cast Member
That's me... a sympathy crier
I am a closet Saved By The Bell fan
 
NCDisneyMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 1,422

Great thread, everyone! We stayed at the Poly for the first time last year, and we were hooked! DH didn't think he would like it, but he did. We weren't sure if we were going to get back this year, but when we found out we are getting more back in our taxes than we thought, DH said "Let's Go!". So, we are booked in August at the Poly again!

When we stayed last year, we were in the Tahiti building, Garden View, which we really liked. We mostly used the TTC as our monorail stations. I'm now trying to get more information for this year, and I have a question regarding said transportation.

We always took the monorail to/from the MK. But, even using the Resort Monorail, there were still lots of guests using it to get to their cars at the TTC (we got off there, as well, but walked to the Poly). If we happened to leave at the end of the day, the monorail was very crowded, and dh would wind up standing with dd3.

SOOOO...I'm wondering what your experiences are with the two boats at MK closing. Both the one to the TTC, and the smaller one that goes to the Poly and GF. Are they usually extremely crowded, as well, or do they tend to be less crowded as most people want to ride the monorail. If they are just as crowded, I would rather be squished on a crowded, air-conditioned monorail. But, it would be very nice if they were faster/less crowded.

What have your experiences been?
NCDisneyMom is offline  
Old 03-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #658
vtwep
DIS Veteran
 
vtwep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 714

Hi Everyone!

If we wanted to stay at the Poly and wanted Magic Kingdom view with an upper floor and "unobstructed" view of the castle (ie - no palm trees right in the way, etc), which building(s) should we request? We are going to be looking for possibly 4 rooms in a row for part of a grand gathering.

Also, for rooms such as those we are looking for, are any of the available recommended buildings/floors concierge level if we decide to go for that?

Thanks!!
__________________
_______________________________

Previous Trips:
Early '80s - not much recollection!
1992 - Offsite Stay
Mar 1995 - Offsite Stay
Nov 2007 - Yacht Club / Water View Room 3047
Dec 2008 - Grand Floridian / MK View, Sago Cay Room 5440
Dec 2009 - Polynesian / MK View, Tahiti Room 3021
Oct 2010 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Tower 1, Room 627
Nov 2012 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Tower 4, EPCOT view
Nov 2013 - Boardwalk Inn / Boardwalk View Room 3241
vtwep is offline  
Old 03-23-2008, 08:56 PM   #659
vtwep
DIS Veteran
 
vtwep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 714

upon further research, it would appear that 3rd floor in Tahiti with the MK view would be a good choice. Thoughts?

Also, if we do go 3rd Floor/MK View in Tahiti, it would seem to be very convenient to the MK Ferry and the Monorail (both MK and EPCOT) at the TTC. That could be a nice benefit as well.

Is that building "quiet" and are my assumptions about this being a good location accurate given the things we are looking for?

Thanks!
__________________
_______________________________

Previous Trips:
Early '80s - not much recollection!
1992 - Offsite Stay
Mar 1995 - Offsite Stay
Nov 2007 - Yacht Club / Water View Room 3047
Dec 2008 - Grand Floridian / MK View, Sago Cay Room 5440
Dec 2009 - Polynesian / MK View, Tahiti Room 3021
Oct 2010 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Tower 1, Room 627
Nov 2012 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Tower 4, EPCOT view
Nov 2013 - Boardwalk Inn / Boardwalk View Room 3241
vtwep is offline  
Old 03-24-2008, 08:23 AM   #660
cmesq61
DIS Veteran
 
cmesq61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 792

First Timer Question

Am I reading correctly that there is only one place to refill the drink mugs and that one place is in the GCH? If so, about how far from the GCH to the Volcano pool? Trying to be prepared for any resistance from my teens about having to go back and forth to refill their (and mine) mugs if we spend a whole day at the pool. And can we adults get adult libations at the pool? Maybe from a cute pool boy?
cmesq61 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: