Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:17 AM   #556
XxDisneyFan00xX
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by torian View Post
seapray,

first, thank u for starting this thread. It's really helping me plan!!
I am sorry to hear about your health problems...I hope you feel better soon! I'm new to all the disney lingo, but I am sprinkling pixie dust for you.

My H is set on Poly, and I am, too....but part of me is balking at the price. Can u believe it??? I'm wondering if we will stay at the resort more than just to sleep.
I have a 7 and 8 year old. I was thinking of going value, but when I looked at the resorts, they just looked so kiddie-like to me. Not sure if they would like it. And my H would not like squishing into a bus late at night to get back to the resort.

I guess I just need to know if the price of Poly's obvious features (close to the TTC, monorail, fireworks from the beach, themed pool, drinkable coffee???) is worth the cost.

thanks!
I've always had this theory of deluxe resorts versus value resorts. See to me some people stay in the value resorts because they want to be at the parks all day, and they only need a place to sleep. Deluxe resorts however, are the exact opposite. People stay at the deluxe resorts to relax more, and not go to the parks all day.

Every single time we've stayed at a deluxe resort, we have always come back to the hotel during the middle of the day to relax. We walked to the grand floridian and sat there listening to the music, looking at the beautiufl view of Magic Kingdom Castle.

I don't want to be flammed for my theory, it's just a thought.
Gonna let the light
Shine on me!!!
Old 03-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #557
torian
A whole day can be ruined with a bad cup of coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDisneyFan00xX View Post
I've always had this theory of deluxe resorts versus value resorts. See to me some people stay in the value resorts because they want to be at the parks all day, and they only need a place to sleep. Deluxe resorts however, are the exact opposite. People stay at the deluxe resorts to relax more, and not go to the parks all day.

Every single time we've stayed at a deluxe resort, we have always come back to the hotel during the middle of the day to relax. We walked to the grand floridian and sat there listening to the music, looking at the beautiufl view of Magic Kingdom Castle.

thanks!

this will be our first trip to WDW with our kids, and 4 parks, 1 water park, and DTD is going to be overwhelming itself. I've built in time so we can just relax...SWIM, maybe rent a watercraft. The mental image of us racing to do it all, only to come back to a value resort (exhausted) only to do it again in the morning does not seem too appealing to me.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-15-2008, 09:36 AM   #558
Lizzy Lemon
DIS Veteran

Hi there, I'm waiting to be able to book our family holiday for July 09 in the next couple of months but then DH told me yesterday he would really like to split our stay to include the Poly (we passed by briefly last year on the monorail) so now I'm doing my homework and from looking at the photos on here and reading the reports I'm glad he's mentioned it. In fact the info is so good I don't think I've got any questions, just a comment to agree with the above and that IMO deluxe resorts are worth the money, we as a family do a lot more in resort that just sleep in the room. We will have to save every penny we've got in order to return next year but we plan on doing this every couple of years for as long as we can. Live is for living and my boys are growing too fast, I'm going to grab every special moment I can to make special memories.
Crowne Plaza, New York Feb 2011
No WDW This Time July 2010 Trip Report
New York February 2011 Trip Report
Old 03-15-2008, 10:04 AM   #559
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderellyCinderelly View Post
Seaspray! I hope you are doing better. This thread you created has been so helpful to me and we leave next week. I can't wait to report back! I think your vacation will be fine, and if you have done lagoon view before then it will be worth it to try something new!
Thank you I agree, it will be a great opportunity to take some pictures from that side of the Hawaii building!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiznEeyore View Post
SeaSpray/Terry:

I just wanted to say I'm sorry you've been feeling badly and hope that things turn around so you can enjoy your trip in May! Even though we consider our family Poly vets, I've still gotten so much from the info you provide and just wanted to let you know we appreciate it (and you!)!
Thanks! I have a lot of fun trying to take pictures of everything I see. LOL I think the strangest thing I've ever taken a picture of was an ashtray outside the doors of the Grand Floridian. It was early in the morning and the sand inside the ashtray had been pressed down with the form of the GF logo! LOL I also like how the ashtrays at the Polynesian are filled with small lava rocks! LOL They really DO theme EVERYTHING at these resorts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brergnat View Post
SeaSpray,

Another thanks for this thread! Because of it, I booked at the Poly for May 2009 .

I'm sorry you've not been well. I hope you feel better soon.

Good luck "slumming it" on the Garden side of concierge with the other "common folk". I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless. There's always the lounge for the view.
I'm laughing at your "slumming" comment! I knew a few people might kid me about that! It's definitely not slumming, and there's no way I feel sorry for myself about this; but I also knew that a lot of you here would understand how I felt about the resort in general, how much I love it, and how special that view really is! I know I'll have a great time regardless!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi jen View Post
SeaSpray,

I also want to say sorry you have had to deal with health issues and hope you are feeling better soon. I also want to thank you for starting this thread. Also, I always am interested in what you have to say. You are always so informative and kindhearted. I am not sure if that is the perfect description, but I know that I am going to smile after I read you. You always make me smile.

Now, I must admit I am not feeling too bad for you staying garden view concierge. I am going to be doing garden view (no concierge) at the Poly and am sooo excited. I have never stayed at the Poly before, and am looking forward to it. I agree with the idea that for you, you will get to enjoy something new. However, when I try to tell my son that we can stay in values to try all the experiences of Disney and get new experiences, he tells me he is fine just the way things are (we have stayed at the Contemporary thus far). Smart kid. He is looking forward to the Poly though, and the volcano pool.

Jennifer
I don't feel too bad for me either. And I absolutely would switch to a regular garden view room, and actually I wish I could postpone to the fall altogether, but we have our aunt traveling with us who hasn't been to WDW in over 20 years and it always was her dream to stay at the Polynesian and when she saw my pictures she immediately said she wants to stay concierge! LOL She's already in a garden concierge room, so now my DH and I will be, as well. Hey your DS IS a very smart kid, I like how he thinks! LOL I hope he enjoys the Polynesian as much as he has enjoyed the Contemporary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padisneylover View Post
Sea Spray,
Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. Hopefully things will improve faster than you expect and you will be able to enjoy your trip. I to would like to voice my thanks for this great thread since once again I have switched resorts and am back to PCLV due mostly to your encouragement and this site.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalEars View Post
I hope you feel better soon SeaSpray! Who knows, maybe a WDW trip in May will help you feel better, or at least help take your mind off things.

Question:
It seems allot of your take advantage of AP discounts. Do you have to buy the premium AP passes, or will you get those same discounts with the regular? Also, how do you find out about the AP discounts? Do they email you, or inform you when you go to book your trip? Or do you have to constantly visit the WDW site to know?
Thank you for your good wishes. And I know others have already answered this but I want to add that I definitely find out about the AP dates right here on the DIS first. Then eventually I do get an email from Disney about it. Also, just a regular AP will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post

Terry, feel better. So sorry you're having health issues.
Thanks!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mike View Post
Sorry for your troubles, SeaSpray

When We stayed last July our group had 2 rooms, ome lagoon and one garden. I forget the room number but we were on the first floor about halfway down from the concierge desks

The garden view was nice because we could see the pool but it also seemed sort of private sitting on the patio.
Thanks! I realized it was a pretty dumb question to ask "what was the view from the garden side of the building"!! But I meant, specificially, what rooms have what views because I've walked behind the Hawaii building when on our way to the path to the TTC and I saw that each of the rooms could have quite different views, depending on what end. I think the middle of the floor would be nice because you're more out in the open, but I remember there also being a lot of bushes and trees back there too. Like I said, it really doesn't matter to me what the view is; it's not gonna be the castle no matter what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsStinkerBelle View Post
So sorry to hear about the health problems, SeaSpray! Here's best wishes for gaining more energy back for your trip in May!
Thank you so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23 View Post
Seaspray, i'm sorry to hear of your health problems. I hope you're much better by May.

We've stayed several times gardenview concierge when we couldn't get lagoon. Always on the 1st floor. From the rooms we've had, you can't even see the pool but just the lovely landscaping around it.

But I think just plain old gardenview is a great choice as well. You can order a lot of room service or special treats for the difference in price and the views are just lovely. Some longhouses are better situated than Hawaii if you will be having trouble walking.

Good luck.
Thanks. That's pretty much what I expect, just a view of the grounds and landscaping, and that'll be great, at least I'm AT the Polynesian! I agree that even a garden room at that resort would be great too. I'll probably be having to rent one of those electric wheel chairs so actual location won't be as important since I won't be walking. If the wheelchairs weren't available I'd definitely have to have a closer location to the GCH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishm12/08 View Post
Hope you feel better Seaspray.
Thank you!!

Quote:
I hope you feel better SeaSpray.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie86 View Post
Sea Spray, Hope you are feeling better so you can enjoy your trip in May, even if you have to rough it in garden view concierge.
Hehehe...I read this to my DH last night and we both got a chuckle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderellyCinderelly View Post
I am attempting a pre-TR and when I come back I'll do a full TR!! I'm staying @ the Poly so if you guys have any questions you can check it out when I get back!
I'll definitely check this out, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomx7 View Post
Terry,

Hope you are feeling better. I think the Poly might be just the right medicine for you!

Get better and take lots of pictures - your pictures are what makes me want to go back to the Poly (and makes me feel ok if we have to stay at POR for my girls "Twirlmania" trip).

Get better soon.
Thanks! We'll be taking a lot more pictures. LOL POR is a very nice resort, and if I didn't have the medical issues that I have, I'd be staying there more often! My DH has never stayed there (last year when I stayed there I was wish a friend of mine on a Girls Only trip). I hope some day to not have to worry about renting a scooter or having to go back to rest so much which is why I like the Polynesian because we spend most of our time at the MK and Epcot so the transportation and time involved is great. But if/when that day comes, then I definitely will be staying at POR again!

Quote:
seapray,

first, thank u for starting this thread. It's really helping me plan!!
I am sorry to hear about your health problems...I hope you feel better soon! I'm new to all the disney lingo, but I am sprinkling pixie dust for you.

My H is set on Poly, and I am, too....but part of me is balking at the price. Can u believe it??? I'm wondering if we will stay at the resort more than just to sleep.

I have a 7 and 8 year old. I was thinking of going value, but when I looked at the resorts, they just looked so kiddie-like to me. Not sure if they would like it. And my H would not like squishing into a bus late at night to get back to the resort.

I guess I just need to know if the price of Poly's obvious features (close to the TTC, monorail, fireworks from the beach, themed pool, drinkable coffee???) is worth the cost.

thanks!
Thanks for the good wishes. I personally think that the Polynesian is worth it, for all of the reasons you mentioned. And my advice to people is that if they can comfortably afford the price difference, then absolutely choose the Polynesian. But if it's a financial strain, or if they'd be concerned during their trip whether they'd be getting their money's worth or not, then I say that maybe the Polynesian isn't the best choice for them because I've seen some people come back angry and say that they didn't feel that they got their money's worth. A LOT of people apparently feel that the Polynesian IS worth the price difference though because it has so many return guests. I hope you have a great time, no matter where you stay!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
John Terry Craig Robby Mushu BrownFamilyVacations.com

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
Old 03-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #560
MsStinkerBelle
Hittin' WDW Since Space Mountain was 'Coming Soon'

Quote:
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"] I've always had this theory of deluxe resorts versus value resorts. See to me some people stay in the value resorts because they want to be at the parks all day, and they only need a place to sleep. Deluxe resorts however, are the exact opposite. People stay at the deluxe resorts to relax more, and not go to the parks all day. ]
That's pretty much how I see it. We do a value resort for the first part of our stay because we're trying to hit as many rides and shows as we can because we just got to WDW. We only come back briefly for a short nap and to go back to the parks to experience more attractions. But during the second part of our stay we check into a deluxe (usually the Poly) to relax more and shop at places we wouldn't while 'commando' touring. I love relaxing with my DD8 at the 'center' of the World at the Poly! As for the cost, well, I just budget it in and don't think about it any more. The money doesn't mean as much as my daughter hugging me and saying, "I love you, Mommy and I love being at Disney World!" while watching the fireworks from our room at the Poly.

Quote:

You'll get no flames from me. We spend a few days not even going to the parks (okay, well, we'll drop in for a show or two but that's it) while at the Poly. I'll get so much into a relaxed mode that while a t the MK I'll wonder, "What are people rushing around for?"

Old 03-15-2008, 10:19 AM   #561
DiznEeyore
Donkey-Huggin' DVC Member
Dedicated Disney Scrapbooker
Thanks for un-confusing me

Quote:

thanks!
I can understand your being a bit hesitant at the price. As many times as we've stayed at the Poly and as much as we love it, I would be lying if I said the price tag doesn't give me pause!

That being said, we pay the price because we feel it is DEFINITELY worth it!! We've stayed at all levels of WDW resorts (values to GF, and we used to own DVC, too), and in our family's opinion, the Poly offers so much (all the things you mentioned, plus a relaxing, spacious room to come "home" to at night) that we definitely feel we get our money's worth.

Also, if you think your husband will dislike cramped buses, then the Values are definitely not the way to go. Any bus can be crowded, especially at the end of a day, but we always felt like sardines on our way to the Values at night. Not a very fun way to end the day!

If the cost isn't going to detract from your vacation in any way, then I would definitely encourage you to give the Poly a try.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #562
torian
A whole day can be ruined with a bad cup of coffee

thanks for everyone's opinion!

I think it will be Poly. My H has loved that place since 1989 when we drove past it on the monorail (we stayed offsite).

I figure if he is ok with the cost, who am I to argue???

A couple of questions...

From what i remember of Epcot, the World section was quite boring for me as a 15 year old, so I can only think that it would be even more so for a 7 and 8 year old. Am I right in thinking that the front half of Epcot would not take more than 1/2 a day?

I'm also remembering that DHS did not take that long to go thru, either.

If my recollections are based in reality, then we may have about 3- 3.5 days of non park time, which seems to me to be a fairly good ROI.

Any info on boat rentals? The idea of renting a boat and riding around the lagoon seems like a unique experience!
Old 03-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #563
jackdis
DIS Veteran

Seaspray!
Thank you for starting this wonderful thread. I read all 38 pages over the last few days! We have been going to WDW several times a year for the last few years, stayed at a few mods and mostly at the POP, which has become "home" to us. We just got back on Tuesday, but on the day we were leaving, we did the bounceback offer and we are POLY bound in August!!!! I am so excited. DH and I were married in Hawaii and have been back once since with both kiddos, so I think the POLY will be a special place for us. (It's right around the time of our anniversary, too.) DD9 is thrilled about the pool. DD2 is just happy to see her "friends" in WDW. We can't wait.

I hope you are feeling better and wish you a wonderful trip to the POLY in May. Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back.

You do have me VERY tempted to see what the price diff. would be for garden view to garden club level.

We are AP holders. If a better rate comes out than the bounceback, I can still call and rebook it to get the better rate, right? (I'm hoping garden club would end up being about the same as what we're paying for just garden right now. A girl can dream!!!)

Thank you again!!
1990 WDW Grad Nite 2003 Swan and Dolphin Disney Wonder Aug. 2004 Hawaii June 2005 POFQ April 2006 CBR June-July 2006 POP Aug. 2006 POP February 2007 HawaiiMar.-Apr. 2007 POPJuly NCL Cruise to Bermuda Aug.-Sept. 2007 POP November 2007 POP Feb. 2008 NOLA/Carnival Cruise to Mexico March2008POPMay 2008 RCCL Bahamas/EPCOTAugust 2008 POLY CL Dec. 08/Jan. 09 CBR Feb. 2009 POFQ JULY 2009 POLY CL
March 2010 BLT JULY 2010 BLTFeb 2011 1 night at BLT post cruiseJULY 2011 BLT
July 2012 Off property
July 2013 BLT/AKL
Old 03-16-2008, 10:40 AM   #564
brergnat
DIS Veteran

Quote:

From what i remember of Epcot, the World section was quite boring for me as a 15 year old, so I can only think that it would be even more so for a 7 and 8 year old. Am I right in thinking that the front half of Epcot would not take more than 1/2 a day?

I'm also remembering that DHS did not take that long to go thru, either.

If my recollections are based in reality, then we may have about 3- 3.5 days of non park time, which seems to me to be a fairly good ROI.

Any info on boat rentals? The idea of renting a boat and riding around the lagoon seems like a unique experience!
First of all, I agree that when I was a child, the "world" section of Epcot was boring. It's changed a bit since then, though. Don't write it off. Many kids love the World Showcase...they have KidCot stations at every country now, with arts and crafts reflective of the countries. There is also a World Passport that your kids can have stamped in each "country". There are rides in Mexico and Norway (boat rides...the Norway one is pretty cool for 7/8 year olds) and a lot of interesting things to see that you don't come across in your everyday. There is an awesome model train setup in Germany as well. You should plan to dedicate at least half a day for World Showcase. It's something your kids should experience, and you may be surprised by their reaction to it.

DHS is also a LOT different than your last visit there. However, I agree that for the 7/8 year old set, there's not much. I would recommend going in the afternoon/evening and making time for Fantasmic, at least. Toy Story Midway Mania will be opening this spring, and your kids will probably like that. If they are into thrills, there is the Tower of Terror and Rock and Roller Coaster (although, they may not be up for those). There is also the Star Tours/Ewok Village/AT-AT model if your kids are into Star Wars. I would take a look at the attractions/shows offered there and figure out, as a family, what you are interested in seeing.

I would allocate maybe one day to DHS/World Showcase (half a day for each), and another FULL DAY to Future World in Epcot (there is a LOT in Future World to see). You need at LEAST half a day at Animal Kingdom (just due to how large the park is...takes a long time to get around there) and then I'd do 2 full days at MK.

So, realistically, if this is all "new" to your kids, you need a good 4 days, preferably 5 to explore the major parks. This will vary depending on when you are going/crowd conditions/operating hours.

I would not count on 3 whole days of "off" time at the resort. Unless you are going for over 10 days. Rather than planning full "off" days, get park hoppers for as many days as you will have on property, but then only go for the morning or only the evening on some days, and spend the remainder of the time at the resort. Every other day, sleep in or plan to do the parks for only half the day. Every other day, be at the parks at opening and then come back for a midday break, then head back to a different park in the evening. This seems to be the best way to assure that everyone is not overwhelmed, too tired, etc.

Renting the boats on the Seven Seas Lagoon is FUN! I'd definitely recommend it! I like the Sea Raycers. You'd need 2, as they are only 2 passenger boats, and your kids aren't old enough to drive themselves. These boats are really fun and you can cover a lot of ground in 30 min. You can go over to Bay Lake with them (via the water bridge that the ferries to WL use) and zip around by Wilderness Lodge and Contemporary! It's awesome. Be sure to take your camera with you for some unique photo opportunites.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #565
DiznEeyore
Donkey-Huggin' DVC Member
Dedicated Disney Scrapbooker
Thanks for un-confusing me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdis View Post
You do have me VERY tempted to see what the price diff. would be for garden view to garden club level.

We are AP holders. If a better rate comes out than the bounceback, I can still call and rebook it to get the better rate, right? (I'm hoping garden club would end up being about the same as what we're paying for just garden right now. A girl can dream!!!)
I don't know how other rates are, but we just settled on a regular garden view room for December (value season) with a AAA rate. The difference between regular garden and garden club was approx. $1200 for 6 nights. LVC was an add'l $800.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #566
DLo
DIS Veteran

Hi! Thanks for the awseme thread!!! I have read some but not all of the pages so sorry if I am repeating a questions.

We are about to book 4 nights at the Poly. I am traveling with my 10 yr. old(that still loves MK) and my parents. My dad , while not handicapped, has trouble walking long distances. I was thinking of requesting Tokelau. I have studied Tikiman's site and I was thinking that would be a good spot - close to TTC and not too far from GCH. Opinions. I want to be on the TTC side.

Do you go to the TTC for a bus or catch it at the Poly? Last year we stayed at GF (granted it was a non busy time mid Nov) and it took forever to catch a bus to AK or DHS.

Any tips are appreciated. We will be going the middle of Nov, again this year.

One more question - when do the Christmas decorations go up?

Thanks
Oct 2006 - WL Nov 2007 - GF Nov 2008 - Poly
Oct 2009 - BC Oct 2010 - BWI Oct 2011 YC May 2014 YC
Old 03-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #567
XxDisneyFan00xX
DIS Veteran

Aloha,
You can catch the parks/water parks/downtown disney busses at the Polynesian or the TTC. To catch resort busses hop on the monorail to the MK and walk over to the bus stations.
Gonna let the light
Shine on me!!!
Old 03-16-2008, 07:42 PM   #568
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Aloha,
You can catch the parks/water parks/downtown disney busses at the Polynesian or the TTC. To catch resort busses hop on the monorail to the MK and walk over to the bus stations.
There are no buses to Downtown Disney or the water parks from the TTC.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:48 PM   #569
donaldndaisysds9
Earning My Ears

I think your resort plans sound good. My mom and dad, usually, get a rental car and just call valet before we leave our room. Have you thought about renting a car, instead?

I think the Christmas decorations go up, sometime in November, before Thanksgiving.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:34 PM   #570
DLo
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone. I should have clarified that I knew the Poly has a bus stop and was just wondering which way was quicker.

CR fan thanks for reminding me about DTD. Last year we went from AK to DTD via Saratoga Springs, wow what a bus ride. Next time, we will plan on going to DTD from the resort not a park!!!

We are driving not flying so we will have our car. My parents prefer riding Disney transport even if it takes longer.
Oct 2006 - WL Nov 2007 - GF Nov 2008 - Poly
Oct 2009 - BC Oct 2010 - BWI Oct 2011 YC May 2014 YC
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: