Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 08:45 AM   #346
meriann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2princessgirls View Post
No, unfortunately you can't do the 180 + 10, you have to call day-by-day. I got up every day for nearly 2 weeks in November making my ADRs for our May trip!
now I must add, that it must depend on your CM because I had planned on doing that for my June trip but when I called on the first day, I made my first ressie, she asked if I needed any others and I told her I was staying at SOG and didn't think I could make the rest and she said since it was on property she would do it, so I got to make them all.

So I would just get up the first day, make it then ask if you can do the others.
You just may get lucky!

Old 03-02-2008, 08:44 AM   #347
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by meriann View Post
now I must add, that it must depend on your CM because I had planned on doing that for my June trip but when I called on the first day, I made my first ressie, she asked if I needed any others and I told her I was staying at SOG and didn't think I could make the rest and she said since it was on property she would do it, so I got to make them all.

So I would just get up the first day, make it then ask if you can do the others.
You just may get lucky!
I thought the system required a resort/package reservation number to make ADR's using 180+10. And if you just used your phone number it wouldn't let you use that benefit.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2008, 05:32 AM   #348
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

I thought some of you might find these interesting. Until recently, the mapping websites, like Google Maps, only had satellite images of the old SoG. Now they have updated images. Here's a comparison.

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland

Last edited by bigAWL; 11-29-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #349
iheartdisney
DIS Veteran

Oh MY! that is an expansion!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #350
milmom6
Loving DVC

SOG has available rooms !!

Wanted to let everyone know SOG just had a bunch of cancellations and has rooms for Easter week and almost every week this year!!!!

MK as child in 70s and 80s
Disneyland 2000 (son age 2)
All DW parks 2004 @ SOG (boys ages 2,6)
MK, New Years Eve 2006 @ SOG (boys ages 4,8)
Vero Beach, Summer 2007 (boys ages 4,8)
OKW studio 3/23-3/28 (boys 5,9)

Upcoming:
AKV and SSR (boys birthday surprise) 6/20 - 6/25
SSR 11/23-11/28 (boys will be 6, 10)
Old 03-03-2008, 12:33 PM   #351
gibsontrio
DIS Veteran

has anyone ever gotten a "bad" view room?? I've never been but I would hope not to be looking at the parking garage.
I wonder how many rooms they have that are connecting? Anyone ever request one but not get it ?

ME! , Hubby , Cameron , Willow , Roselynn
Old 03-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #352
hildarumpole
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsontrio View Post
has anyone ever gotten a "bad" view room?? I've never been but I would hope not to be looking at the parking garage.

There are no rooms with a bad view. Some may prefer pool views over golf course views, but you won't get stuck with a view of a parking lot, parking structure, or roof and mechanicals as you might in other Disney resorts. The architects really did a fantastic job creating a beautiful and peaceful setting, especially with the addition. If you check out the aerial photos above, you can see where the parking structure is located on the right side. The rooms around it face the golf course.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:46 PM   #353
KatRob
Mouseketeer

I have to agree that there are no bad rooms. We have stayed there many times and have always been happy.

That said, when my DD and I went by ourselves, we were in room 1134 and that was a long walk everynight. The only way I remember the room number is it was written "quickly" on an envelope and upside down it spelled hell. No joke. I made my reservation for the next year while I was there and I asked them not to put me in the "basement" again, she's like basement? and I asked if she was in the building with me right now, she said yes, and I said, "do you know where the sign is that says course entrance? Yes. My room is right there." I was on the fifth floor the next year. The room wouldn't have been bad except we don't like golf and the tournament was starting that week. There was a lot of foot traffic by the patio in the morning.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:48 PM   #354
iheartdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by milmom6 View Post
Wanted to let everyone know SOG just had a bunch of cancellations and has rooms for Easter week and almost every week this year!!!!

Darn, not on my days! But keeping my fingers crossed and calling back next week for March 18-19th!
Thanks for the heads up though!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #355
airplane
DIS Veteran

Bad room

YES I did get a bad room once.
Before the addition, I got a room next to the elevator/ice machine. The view out the window was a loading dock, where trucks were in and out all day long. It was so loud it was actually humorous. This was about 10 years ago so I don't remember the room #. I was 20 and traveling w/ a couple friends so I really didn't care at the time. Now that I look back, I defintely would have asked to be moved.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #356
abarnold
Mouseketeer

real quick question- would you stay at SOG (2 rooms for 8 people) and pay OOP for meals at the park- or foot the difference for 2 rooms with deluxe dining which would be around 4000?

Old 03-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #357
Disneyfriend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarnold View Post
real quick question- would you stay at SOG (2 rooms for 8 people) and pay OOP for meals at the park- or foot the difference for 2 rooms with deluxe dining which would be around 4000?
We're facing a very similar dilemma with our family of 6. I do love the Disney resorts and that intangible "Disney magic", but I just can't justify the cost differential.

So we're staying at 2 rooms at SoG (a truly lovely, roomy resort in every way - only possible drawback is the lack of theming and extra Disney touches). The trade-off is that, because our lodging cost is so reasonable, we're going to be doing lots of extras: staying for a nice long time, eating numerous sit down meals at the parks and various resorts (including some signature restaurants), and even a couple tours.

If you have a nearly unlimited budget - or if you're doing a huge splurge for a specific reason (such as a honeymoon, sick family member, etc.) - by all means stay at the Disney resort and go with the deluxe dining package. But if you're like most of us, where $4,000 is a huge chunk of money - stay at SoG. You will still have a magical time. We sure did last stay, and that's coming from a family who has always really enjoyed our stays at Disney hotels (both WDW and Disneyland).

HTH!

Disneyland - 15+ times since childhood
WDW - Poly/AKL 2001; SoG 2006; SoG/AKL 2008; Poly/AKV 2010; AKV/BLT 2012
Aulani - Dec 2011 and April 2012

And new DVC owner!

Old 03-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #358
ntsammy5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We've never done the deluxe plan but we have done the DDP. We have found that, for us, using DDE is a better deal. We have trouble eating even one TS meal every day let alone three. If you plan on doing a lot of signature dining that might be a little different. IMHO I would stay at SOG and pay OOP, but that's just me.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:47 PM   #359
abarnold
Mouseketeer

well we're taking my in-laws for their 30th wedding anniversary (and also first trip) and wanted something really nice. As for Dining- we really only planned on going to a few restaurants like CRT lunch, Ohana's and a couple of others. but if we had the dining I also feel like we would be forcing ourselves to eat more than what we usually would. I just can't keep feeling like we might be shorting them a true "disney experience" but at the same time- my dh is a SGT and we're paying for the entire trip and I can't get over the whole money issue.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:58 PM   #360
ntsammy5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
- my dh is a SGT and we're paying for the entire trip and I can't get over the whole money issue.
I'm a retired LTC and a bank vice president and I can't get over the whole money issue either. SoG is truly magical -- you're not shorting anyone. Enjoy yourselves......
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: