Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #16
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

We loved the exceptionally convenient location of Rarotonga. We were there with seniors with mobility issues who don't use assistive devices, so we were particularly making an effort to minimize walking distances as much as possible. We requested connecting rooms on 1st floor Rarotonga, and that's what we got, 1806 and 1807. We were facing the quiet pool, but couldn't actually see it unless we walked outside and looked toward the right. The patio of 1806 was wide open to the grass, while 1807 was partially obstructed by shrubs (you could step over the lower-lying shrubs toward the left side of the patio if you really had to.)

In the photo below, 1806 is in the center, 1807 is to the left.

View from the end of the bed closest to the patio:

View ouside looking slightly to the left, Niue, Samoa, Hawaii:

You can see that the views were lovely, nothing spectacular. But we got exactly what we wanted, which was perfect location. We walked out the hallway to the right and were steps away from GCH. To the left, steps from the bus stop!

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #17
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveeeyore View Post
We loved the exceptionally convenient location of Rarotonga.

Thanks, I've added this review to the Polynesian FAQ

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2008, 06:31 AM   #18
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

I'll write my review today

Native NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:52 AM   #19
goofybabe
Mouseketeer

Hi all;We returned from our6th visit this past december. We really love this resort it has a really calming effect after leaving parks. The only thing I could comment on would be music,you can only hear it near concierge building. I walked over there to hear it play. I personally love to hear the music when we visit.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:11 PM   #20
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

Bump

Native NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #21
SeaSpray

Call me "impatient"

Bumping back to Page 1. If anyone has room view pictures and/or room/longhouse reviews, I'd love to add them to the Polynesian FAQ thread. Thanks!

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
Old 03-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #22
joenan88
DIS Veteran

I stayed in the Aotearoa longhouse in November. The location was great..very close to The GCH. One side of Aotearoa was a monorail/gardenview over looking a golf course, the other side is an obstructed MK view... It is a quiet area but yet close to everything. My room was "stinky" we had some issues with our room from previous guests smoking in it...other then that the grounds and restaurants were great. The elevators and hallways in Aotearoa need to be upgraded. The elevators are sooo small and the hallways are so dark and dingy. The pool was great..beautiful..my boys loved the slide. Capt'n cooks was so convenient and the location to the parks was great! My overall perception of the hotel was positive.
joenan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #23
Family24
Mouseketeer

Wink

Hi we just returned February 2nd and had requested Tahiti Magic kingdom view but instead we were upgraded to Hawia longhouse which is concierge. We were so excited and our whole family is now spoiled from staying concierge. Like one of the posters mentioned you can hear the music playing all day and night so peaceful. We were in room 1507 with a perfect view of the castle and right in front of two hammocks which our kids loved. It will be hard to go back to a regular room after this. I might just have to work some extra hours for next time.
Family24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:40 PM   #24
LillersMom
Mouseketeer

We have stayed many times and love it. Tokealu is our favorite building. We always request first floor lagoon end. We love the Poly and everything about it!
POFQ 2000, Dolphin 2000, WL 2001, WL 2002, AKL 2002, Poly Halloween Trip 2003, Poly 2005, Poly Halloween Trip 2006, YC 2008, Poly Spring Break 2009 Girls only Birthday trip! May 2009, Spring Break 2010 Beach Club

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/5v4d5mqz4zontlzh.png[/img]
LillersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #25
chillcoupons
Dis Dad's Club Member #81

2 Times in the 70's

I have great childhood memories of the Polynesian! As a kid I loved the pool, the beach by bay, I was amazed by the center of the lobby. The luau is a great time and should not be missed. I have a definite bias when I visit Disney World, I love all the resorts on the Monorail line. The ease of getting to and from the parks on the monorail is awesome!!!! There are many things that make me feel like a kid again at Disney and riding the monorail is one (it even smells the same as it did in the 70's!!!!). The purple monorail rules!!!

I will be at the Polynesian November 4 through 9 it will be my frist time staying there in over 30 years, I can't wait!!!!

Chill
chillcoupons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #26
kirstyw82
Earning My Ears

Its been a little while since I stayed at the Polynesian, so I can't remember the room number etc but I can tell you it was in the concierge building. the view of the magic kingdom was amazing and at night it was a fantastic place to watch the fireworks. The cast members, food, transport, pool and everything made this resort my very favourite. I just wish I could afford to go back next time!
kirstyw82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:50 PM   #27
kid-at-heart
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=MickeyNicki;23254639]DH has always wanted to stay here so we did a split stay in Oct 07. We stayed at YC first so we were really spoiled with the quiet and the privacy that the YC offered. Poly was a nuthouse compared to that, people everywhere, noisy like you cannot believe. The pools were super loud (at the YC we had the quiet pool to ourselves). The 2nd floor of the main house was always loud and busy.

The room was nice but the bathroom was too small for DH, tiny bath/shower, only one sink and mirror. We booked a garden view and was placed in the Fiji building, second floor with a marina view. Very close to the main house.

If we go for a quick weekend we would stay there again but only if the price is right. For a week I would like a quieter location because then we would use the pool more.

Great pictures. I love "the man with the remote" pictures, so typical for our family...

kid-at-heart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:45 PM   #28
PrincessPatty
Love ya Black and Gold!! Go Steelers!!
where's the pouty face?!? No pouting around the Tag Fairy Missy!
The Tag Fairy HOOKED ME UP!
I loooove some dessert!

We [mom, dad, sister (22), and I (26)] stayed many times at the Poly. Our first trip was in 1985, when I was four years old. We stayed many times through the 90's and loved it everytime we stayed!

Then prices started to rise and we couldn't justify the price as it would only be considered a deluxe by Disney standards. So we started to stay moderates and fell in love with CBR.

In 2005, I had some extra cash and decided to take my mom for a Christmas trip, and stay at the Poly, as it had been years since we've stayed (and they were just finishing the remodel!!) Here are some pics from that trip!

We fell in love all over again!! The remodel was great! This year (after recieving a code ) we decided to book the Poly for 4 days during our 10 day trip.

We visit the Poly during our trips to re-live the memories or just get the Poly smell (you do know there is a special 'smell' at the Poly, right?!?!). We will always love it, but probably on book there when codes are available, which is okay because CBR is a pretty good replacement!

One thing I wish I could change at the Poly, is Captain Cook's...I love the different amounts of quick service meals available at the moderates!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:59 PM   #29
SeaSpray

Call me "impatient"

Thanks to everyone who has posted in the last couple of days!! I will be adding your posts to the Polynesian FAQ thread when I get a chance. Thanks again!

[/center]
Old 03-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #30
Coconuts
DIS Veteran

Stayed in Rarotonga facing the quiet pool, not the monorail. Would stay there again in a heartbeat. Just steps to GCH and short walks to bus stop and volcano pool. With small kids it was nice to walk out our building right to the GCH. Hope this helps.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: