Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 04:44 PM   #226
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Over the years we've enjoyed the searaycers (actually the earlier versions) and pontoon boats many times. My DH and sons have also gone out on a catamaran and little sailboat.

You're free to boat all over Seven Seas Lagoon with the exception of some off limit zones by the TTC and MK. So there's a lot of water to cover. You can take a picnic on the pontoons. Room service will even prepare one for you if you like.

I haven't read about it lately but a few years ago Family plans were offered seasonally. It included unlimited boat use during your vacation at the Polynesian for a very reasonable price. I would check to see if it's offered while you're there.

To rent a searaycer, you need to have a valid driver's license.

Have fun!
Old 02-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #227
DiznEeyore
Donkey-Huggin' DVC Member
Dedicated Disney Scrapbooker
Thanks for un-confusing me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin2003white View Post
But I've read a bit about the recreation. Looking for advice/suggestions from those of you with families who've explored the boats/searacers. What do you suggest? Or do most of you just enjoy what the resort already has to offer?

Thanks for any suggestions!
In the past, we've rented a pontoon boat for an hour. They supply all the life jackets for you, and it's a wonderful, relaxing way to spend some "down time" (or even have a picnic lunch). When ds was younger, he *loved* it when dh would sit him on his lap and let him "drive" the boat.

We've never done the SeaRaycers ... neither ds nor I can be in continuous direct sun, so we stick with things that have canopies. I know others will be able to chime in about them, though ... I've heard they're lots of fun!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2008, 05:25 PM   #228
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

We have no boating experience (other than a few Cruises and some trips on my sister's boat).

How difficult are the pontoons to drive? And could you give me a ballpark idea of the price?

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Old 02-17-2008, 05:32 PM   #229
eyenjeff
PROUD DVC OWNER!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
We have no boating experience (other than a few Cruises and some trips on my sister's boat).

How difficult are the pontoons to drive? And could you give me a ballpark idea of the price?

They are very easy to drive and the marina staff helps you dock them. You can go online and the costs of the rental prices are there. I highly reccommend them!
Old 02-17-2008, 05:32 PM   #230
NeverlandPixie
Not a Princess ... but looking for Prince Charming

Do the rooms at the Poly have full length mirrors?

Old 02-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #231
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverlandPixie View Post
Do the rooms at the Poly have full length mirrors?

Yes, on the back of the bathroom door.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
Old 02-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #232
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

As of today me and DS are BOOKED at the Poly!
Old 02-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #233
SeaSpray

Call me "impatient"

BreezysMom and BVC23: Thanks for the reviews, I've added them to the Longhouse Review Index!

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
Old 02-17-2008, 08:09 PM   #234
MsStinkerBelle
Hittin' WDW Since Space Mountain was 'Coming Soon'

Tuvalu longhouse review - 1405

My DD and I stayed in the Tuvalu longhouse (room 1405) before our DCL cruise. We had a lagoon view room on the bottom floor--the last room on the left in the longhouse. This afforded us a wonderful patio that seemed more like our own private garden on the 'water' instead of simply a patio. Since there isn't a beach, the Tulvau longhouse looks like it's sitting on the water and makes the entire room seem like it's floating. We had a view of the castle--the bottom third blocked by beachcomber island but we could still hear the stage shows and parades. The Electrical Water Parade came by nightly and it was great that my DD could enjoy it from the room.

Some guidebooks say the 'noise' from the nightly luau can be bothersome. I didn't find this to be the case at all. The music from the luau just added to the atmosphere and it was very soft--almost as if it were piped in. We attended the Luau and it was a very short walk to Luau cove (less than a minute).

Tuvalu is situated next to the Fiji longhouse and it's about a 30 second walk to the GCH. When you walk in you're right next to the arcade and Captain Cooks'. The walk would be shorter if not for that 'pesky' marina you have to walk around. The boat launch to the MK is right at the marina but because of how the Tuvalu longhouse is situated it's about the same distance to the boat launch as it is to the monorail platform.

Another nice thing about Tuvalu is that there is a smaller beach right next to it that most folks don't know about. There are hammocks for relaxing and/or watching the fireworks. We could walk out of our room, out of the longhouse and the beach was right there.

Here are a few photos from our room:

DD on our patio:

Zoomed-in shot of the castle from our patio:

Zoomed-in view of the Contemporary from our patio:

Yes, that Christmas tree is outside...

Tuvalu is a wonderful longhouse and I'd highly recommend it!

Old 02-17-2008, 08:56 PM   #235
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

I have a question. The patios on the first floor, do they have any kind of enclosement or are they just open and anyone can walk up to your door? And do the verandas have any type of screen or anything around it? I am just worried about my son being alone while I am showering or getting dressed.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:08 PM   #236
NeverlandPixie
Not a Princess ... but looking for Prince Charming

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpray View Post
Yes, on the back of the bathroom door.
Thanks, I'm a little short

Old 02-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #237
SeaSpray

Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsStinkerBelle View Post
Tuvalu is a wonderful longhouse and I'd highly recommend it!
Thanks so much! I've added your review to the Index on Post #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamin247 View Post
I have a question. The patios on the first floor, do they have any kind of enclosement or are they just open and anyone can walk up to your door? And do the verandas have any type of screen or anything around it? I am just worried about my son being alone while I am showering or getting dressed.
The patios do not have any kind of fencing or enclosure around them. The balconies are open on the top and do have a railing (no screening), but there are chairs and a small table which a small child could possibly climb up onto, so please be sure to lock the sliding glass doors while you're taking a shower and your child is in the room

[/center]
Old 02-17-2008, 09:48 PM   #238
Minsc
Earning My Ears

Hello.

We usually stay at CBR, but were bitten by the Poly bug this year and have decided to stay there instead. I have more detailed question about my particular situation in the Transportation forum, but thought I would ask a related and more Poly-specific question here.

I know that the TTC is within walking distance, but does anyone know if there is a car rental lot there? If not, what is the easiest way to get a rental car at the Poly for a couple of days should we choose not to acquire a rental for the entire trip?

Thanks for all of the wonderful information in this thread. It's partly your fault we are staying at the Poly this year for the first time (and my wife thanks you).
Old 02-17-2008, 09:48 PM   #239
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpray View Post

The patios do not have any kind of fencing or enclosure around them. The balconies are open on the top and do have a railing (no screening), but there are chairs and a small table which a small child could possibly climb up onto, so please be sure to lock the sliding glass doors while you're taking a shower and your child is in the room
Well I guess I will be showering while he is sleeping then. Thanks for the info!
Old 02-17-2008, 10:08 PM   #240
Tam1067
LOVES LOVES LOVES the Poly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcrosby1 View Post
I am new to this board, and my family is taking our first trip to WDW in April. My husband and I never went as kids and this will be the first for our six yr old daughter. I am so excited about the whole planning process.

We booked a MK view. Is there any particular longhouse used for AAA bookings? I was told we would know which longhouse we will be staying in until check in. Can any AAA member give me an idea of what longhouse we will most likely be put in that has the MK view? Just curious about the longhouse and what it will be like. Any help will be appreciated. I love this board and I have learned so much about Disney. I hope to plan many more WDW vactions in the furture based on the great info provided on this board.
AAA reservations are not put in any single building. I've booked the Poly 3 times with AAA, and you can request any building (or not) just like anyone else. Only some longhouses have MK views, but they're not restricted by AAA bookings.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: