Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Question Have you ever stayed at the Polynesian Resort??

If so, then I'd love to hear about your experience. What I'd like to do is ask everyone who has ever stayed at the Polynesian resort to write up a quick review of the room they stayed in, and list the pros and cons to the location, what the room and building was close to, what was further away, and what their own personal opinions of the room and room location are.

Then I'll make a listing of each longhouse on Page 1 of the "New Polynesian Resort FAQ" thread, with links to the reviews. Pictures of rooms and room views would be great, too

If you would follow this format, it'll make it easier for me to link your review to the correct longhouse:

Title: Name of Longhouse you stayed in

Body of post: Please tell about your experience, listing what you loved about the room and location and view, and also if you didn't love it. (hey, that's possible! lol)

Add in any pictures that you have.

PLEASE POST YOUR REVIEW OVER IN THE Polynsian FAQ thread (not here in this thread); here's a link to it: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1708173

The more reviews we get, the better it'll be for those people who are planning their first stay at the Polynesian, but also good for those of us who've been there before because we'll get to hear the pros and cons of the longhouses we haven't stayed in yet.

Remember, don't post your review here (although if you do by accident, I will still link to it), please post it in the Polynesian FAQ thread

Thanks in advance from every Polynesian Resort fan!!!!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]

Last edited by SeaSpray; 02-16-2008 at 11:53 AM.
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
SeaSpray

Call me "impatient"

*bump*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
Disneyfan1977
DIS Veteran

Poly is beautiful

Poly is by far my favorite. I think anyone who goes there will enjoy their stay. There is a certain magic there that there isn't anywhere else. My family stayed there repeatedly when I was a child. What great memories!

[CENTER]Polynesian 1979, Polynesian 1981, Polynesian 1983, Polynesian 1985, Polynesian 1986, Polyneisan 1988, Polynesian 1990, Beach Club 1992, Wilderness Lodge 1995, Off Property 1996 (senior class trip), Off Property 1997 (work related), Wilderness Lodge 1998, Polynesian 1999, Grand Floridian 2007, Pop & Beach Club Villas 2008Fort Wilderness Cabins 20092011 Port Orleans French Quarter
Disneyfan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:54 PM   #4
Stitch's Greatest Fa
DIS Veteran

We stayed at Poly in 2004 for our honeymoon. LOVE LOVE LOVED it. Tokelau - not too far from the GCH but far enough away not to have people trailing past all the time. It was near the quiet pool which meant we did not have the noise of the vocano pool. Kona cafe is great for breakfast lunch or dinner. Ohana is good too and now they have refurbed captain cooks we like it there. Great little selection of shops including the Bou-Tiki and of course on the monorail loop - 2 stops from MK. I would stay there every time if I coudl afford it.

1995 1st time - Kissimee Villas 1997 Kissimmee Villas 2002 Kissimmee Villas 2004 - 1st time on site Polynesian Honeymoon 2005 Port Orleans Riverside 2006 Pop Century 2007 POFQ 2008 Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge 2009 Beach Club 2010 AKL/CR/SSR2011 Hilton Parc Soleil2013 Wilderness Lodge 2014 Hilton Parc Soleil
Stitch's Greatest Fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
NeverlandPixie
Not a Princess ... but looking for Prince Charming

I'm a Poly "virgin" so I will definitely write up a short review for you on my return in April!

Can't wait ... I've already started packing and literally dream about it!

NeverlandPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:00 AM   #6
SeaSpray

Call me "impatient"

*bump*

[/center]
Old 02-17-2008, 11:07 AM   #7
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater

DH has always wanted to stay here so we did a split stay in Oct 07. We stayed at YC first so we were really spoiled with the quiet and the privacy that the YC offered. Poly was a nuthouse compared to that, people everywhere, noisy like you cannot believe. The pools were super loud (at the YC we had the quiet pool to ourselves). The 2nd floor of the main house was always loud and busy.

The room was nice but the bathroom was too small for DH, tiny bath/shower, only one sink and mirror. We booked a garden view and was placed in the Fiji building, second floor with a marina view. Very close to the main house.

If we go for a quick weekend we would stay there again but only if the price is right. For a week I would like a quieter location because then we would use the pool more.

MickeyNicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
wdwgirls2
Mouseketeer

We stayed in the Tahiti longhouse, mk view, 1st floor.

My kids loved, loved, loved this room! It was huge! We could walk right outside our room and relax in the hammock, kids could play in the sand, feed the ducks. It was so quiet. Its probably the furthest from the GCH (we were at the end closest to the TTC) but having stayed at the mods it wasnt that far by comparison and the landscaping is beautiful. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.
wdwgirls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:12 PM   #9
kaysmommie
DIS Veteran

Our family has stayed at Polynesian twice. Once in 2006 and once in October of 2007. Both of our rooms were in the Samoa building. Our room in 2006 was 3610 on the third floor facing the volcano pool. It was on the very end of the building and we could see EWP every night from our balcony. Housekeeping was good and we loved our view in 2006. Here is a picture of it.

We decided to return to the Poly in October 2007 because we absolutely loved it. This time our room was 3611 across the hall from last year. We faced the quiet pool and had a view of the back of Hawaii longhouse. We couldn't see the quiet pool though has a huge bush blocked our entire view. So we didn't use the balcony. Also housekeeping was lousy and never got any better even when we complained on arrival day to the front desk. Lots of dust on the surfaces of the desk and Armoire and night stands. The bathroom could use a a scrubbing and the fridge was sticky and grose. Needless to say I was dissapointed, especially since we couldn't wait to come back again this year. We still had a good time and watched wishes from the beach and enjoyed time in the Volcano pool. Also we loved the newly remodeled Captain Cook's. 'Ohana and Kona Cafe are 2 of our favorite restaurants too. Samoa is right beside the Volcano Pool and the quiet pool is behind it. It is a 2 minute walk to the GCH with kids. Here are some pics from our trip. Our Room and view..

My kids just loving the Poly!

Samoa Building and pool pics.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #10
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Just added my reviews to your FAQ page, Terry. Consider this a bump!
Old 02-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I've stayed at the Poly only once, but I hope that that won't be the only time! I had put in a request for 3rd floor Raratonga, and was placed on 1st floor Tokelau. It ended up being a nice location. Very close to Captain Cooks, and not too far from anything. The patio overlooked the quiet pool, and was very peaceful. Plus we ended up just walking to the TTC when we wanted to go to the Magic Kingdom, we were so close to the path there. I wouldn't hesitate to request the Tokelau longhouse.

Last edited by maxiesmom; 02-19-2008 at 07:58 AM.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #12
karmalicousss
Meeska Mooska Mickey Mouse!!!!!! :)

I haven't but i am sure it very pretty and nice.

karmalicousss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:51 AM   #13
LowesChevy
The happy haunts have received your sympathetic vibrations and are beginning to materialize

Tahiti, Magic Kingdom View Room

Stayed here numerous time over the past 25 years or so. Most recent times were the past 5 years. We always requested Tahiti Lagoon View and received rooms here on the first floor. The first floor is enjoyable for us because you can sit outside, stretch your legs and easily walk to the beach. It is fun to watch the ducks too. Sometimes the neighbors of your room are inconsiderate by making a lot of noise after 11 or midnight, but that will happen anywhere. The refridgerator is a bonus for beer, soda, juice, milk and cold snacks.

The newly decorated rooms are darker in contrast to the older rooms. Dark wood furniture and fixtures make the Tahiti Lagoon view rooms a bit dark during the day because the sun does not hit these rooms. They are beautiful otherwise, huge flatpanel tvs, and most rooms in this building have two sinks to make getting ready in the morning quicker for us. There are 6 drawers for clothing and two closets on either side of the fridge area. We put our pop up hamper in the one and clothes in the other. The rooms here a nice and large so the suitcases do not crowd you either.

We like how it is a short 5 minute walk to the TTC for quick access to Epcot. The GCH and Volcano pool are only about 5 minutes away as well. The laundry is a short walk near the bus stop, located in the Tangaroa Terrace & Neverland Club building. The entrance is near the bus stop side. There is a television in the laundry room to keep you occupied and the quiet pool is just 50 yards away if you want to lounge outside while you do laundry.

Captain Cook's is nice for a breakfast on the run, but we prefer ts at Kona. CC is also a good lunch place while swimming at the pool. The food and service are great at Kona. We do not go to O'hana's, so I cannot comment on the place.

We have never had a bad experience with the room or service at the Poly with housekeeping or room conditions. The rooms were always clean and well kept. If you have any more questions about the Tahiti building, just ask. Sorry I did not have pictures.
LowesChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:06 PM   #14
disneyvoice
Disney Fanatic

We stayed in room 3733 in the Tahiti building - 3rd floor, I beleive. This is a Magic Kingdom/Castle View room and it was perfect. There is a beach in front of the Tahiti building that is generally deserted. We bought a bottle of champagne in the gift shop and snuggled together in the hammock on the beach, drinking champagne and watching Wishes. It is also super close to the TTC so we walked there to take the monorail or boat over to the MK. Even though it is right next to the TTC, it is still very quiet. If we every stay at the Poly again (I would stay there all the time but the expense makes that impossible for us) I will definately request this room again.
disneyvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #15
SeaSpray

Call me "impatient"

Thanks everyone! I've linked all of the reviews from this thread, up to this point. You can find the Longhouse Index over in Post #1 of the Polynesian FAQ.

[/center]

Last edited by SeaSpray; 02-18-2008 at 04:02 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: