Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 845 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:15 PM   #1456
lynninpa

Help yourself! I just made a few new batches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneeyes View Post
EDIT: is the request list up to date? I see there is a request for the house dressing from Artist Point, I thought that was the poppy seed dressing and thats already posted.
Yes, the request list is up to date. Artist Point is at the Wilderness Lodge. The posted poppyseed dressing recipe is from Artist's Palette-at Saratoga Springs.
lynninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:03 PM   #1457
lynninpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by captinhookedondisney View Post
Dose anyone have the recipe for the Steak at Boma at the carving station?

It Is my favorite!

Thanks
Could this be the Marinated Flank Steak recipe on page 42?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2008, 11:47 PM   #1458
DebbiSheeley
Earning My Ears

I need Irish recipes!

At Raglan Road, last September, my first Disney meal was wonderful! I really want the recipe for "Pie in the Sky" and "Granny's Soup". I would like to make them for St.Patrick's day.

Thanks
DebbiSheeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:28 AM   #1459
apostolic4life
Chef Grumpy

This soup may not be a traditional French onion soup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatania View Post
The member who made this and added beef stock was not happy with the results. Does this recipe sound right to you?

This recipe sounds like it is not meant to be a traditional French onion soup. Instead of using beef stock and wine it uses water and they thicken the broth........using water would not provide any flavor to the soup and what you end up with is a pot of onions in thick water with some fresh herbs, to me, this does not sound too appetizing.

The only real differences in this recipe and the one I follow is the use of roux (traditional French onion soup is not thick, it is brothy), the type of onion, water vs. beef stock and wine, and I do not use bay leaf......lynninpa and I discussed this recipe when it was first posted and even then it did not seem right to me, but I would think if you make it to the recipe specs and like it, that's great. It just sounds as though the posted recipe would be very bland and the thicker broth would not be to my liking.

Where we've been:Aug. 2004 - CBR : Aug. 2004 - DCL : Dec. 2005 - POP : Nov. 2006 - Poly : Dec. 2007 - Off Site : Mar. 2009 - Off Site : May 2010 - Off Site : Jan. 2011 - POR : Feb./Mar. 2012 - Off Site
Where we're going: Dec. 2012 - Off Site
Me: DW: DD18: DD9: DD6:
DS3:
apostolic4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:35 AM   #1460
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by apostolic4life View Post
This recipe sounds like it is not meant to be a traditional French onion soup. Instead of using beef stock and wine it uses water and they thicken the broth........using water would not provide any flavor to the soup and what you end up with is a pot of onions in thick water with some fresh herbs, to me, this does not sound too appetizing.

The only real differences in this recipe and the one I follow is the use of roux (traditional French onion soup is not thick, it is brothy), the type of onion, water vs. beef stock and wine, and I do not use bay leaf......lynninpa and I discussed this recipe when it was first posted and even then it did not seem right to me, but I would think if you make it to the recipe specs and like it, that's great. It just sounds as though the posted recipe would be very bland and the thicker broth would not be to my liking.

That's kind of what I thought, apostolic4life and it's probably not a recipe I'll be trying out for a dinner party. Speaking of, I've got 12 people coming for a Disney birthday dinner tomorrow evening as it's DS 20th. I'm doing mainly a Poly theme and will let you all know how it turns out. I'm making all for the first time - always a risk - but it's Disney, so how bad can it be? LOL

First visit to WDW in 1976. Many times since then.

Tatania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:13 AM   #1461
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Colcannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbiSheeley View Post
At Raglan Road, last September, my first Disney meal was wonderful! I really want the recipe for "Pie in the Sky" and "Granny's Soup". I would like to make them for St.Patrick's day.

Thanks
Chef Kevin Dundon has published one (maybe 2) recipe books so if anyone can find them in a book store they might have the recipes. The Pub is not under Disney management so not sure how good they are about sharing recipes.

Colcannon
Raglan Road Pub, Pleasure Island from Chef Kevin Dundon

1lb well-scrubbed potatoes
1/4 cup cream
4T + 1T butter
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
2 oz finely chopped bacon
1/4 cup finely chopped green cabbage

Method
Cover the potatoes with cold water in a saucepan.
Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the flesh is tender when pieced.
Drain in a colander. Peel the potatoes while still hot.
Mash the potatoes until smooth.
Beat the 4T butter into the mashed potato and season to taste.
Meanwhile, heat the cream in a saucepan.
Just as the cream comes to the boil, remove from the heat and beat into the potatoes.
Add 1T butter to a hot saute pan. Fry bacon and cabbage in pan for about 5 minutes, or until soft.
Add bacon and cabbage to the potato and mix well.
Keep the potatoes warm until ready to serve.

First visit to WDW in 1976. Many times since then.

Tatania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:50 PM   #1462
Momelie
Mouseketeer

FWIW, last night I was at Chefs de France with a friend who was asking about the French Onion Soup base (she keeps kosher), and the chef came out and told us that they use a CHICKEN stock rather than beef stock in the soup. Once they told me that, then I could definitely taste it - I knew it was something not beef and not water, if that makes sense.

Also, one recipe I would LOVE to have and can't find anywhere is the tomato soup that is served at the Plaza restaurant - its not quite a bisque with cream, but it seems like it might have some alfredo or something else creamy/cheese in it. Anybody got that one?

Thanks!
Momelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #1463
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

I bought all the ingrediants for the creamy leek fondue from Flying Fish, so I'm going to make that either today or tomorrow. I was going to make it around Christmas, but never did, I am so excited to finally be able to try it now.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:28 PM   #1464
jaame
Mouseketeer

Does anyone have recipes from the Maya Grill? I had a yummy steak with some kind of mashed potatoes there and I'd love the recipe. I'll have to see if I can remember the name of the dish. I do have a picture but the name has escaped me.

October 2007: 6 days at CSR and MNSSHP
October 2005: 8 days & 2 MNSSHP's for our first family trip to WDW
One day trip to WDW as a child
jaame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:31 PM   #1465
TwingleMum
DIS Veteran

I had an awesome side dish at Coral Reef and would love the recipe. It was a blue cheese potato au gratin dish. It was incredible. Anyone???
TwingleMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #1466
Candid
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaame View Post
Does anyone have recipes from the Maya Grill? I had a yummy steak with some kind of mashed potatoes there and I'd love the recipe. I'll have to see if I can remember the name of the dish. I do have a picture but the name has escaped me.
Have you tried looking at the online menus? I couldn't remember one dish we tried but when I went to the online menu, I recognized the name of it right away.

Candid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #1467
apostolic4life
Chef Grumpy

Now the soup universe is back in balance!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momelie View Post
FWIW, last night I was at Chefs de France with a friend who was asking about the French Onion Soup base (she keeps kosher), and the chef came out and told us that they use a CHICKEN stock rather than beef stock in the soup. Once they told me that, then I could definitely taste it - I knew it was something not beef and not water, if that makes sense.

Chicken stock would make more sense than water, but I still would not be a fan of the thicker consistency with the roux. Another thing to consider is the chicken stock would keep it kosher too......if they used beef then they could not add the cheese if they wanted a soup to be kosher. Meat from animals who feed milk to their young cannot be served with dairy in the kosher kitchen; by using chicken stock they keep their onion soup kosher and add flavor water never would.

Where we've been:Aug. 2004 - CBR : Aug. 2004 - DCL : Dec. 2005 - POP : Nov. 2006 - Poly : Dec. 2007 - Off Site : Mar. 2009 - Off Site : May 2010 - Off Site : Jan. 2011 - POR : Feb./Mar. 2012 - Off Site
Where we're going: Dec. 2012 - Off Site
Me: DW: DD18: DD9: DD6:
DS3:
apostolic4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:53 PM   #1468
lynninpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbiSheeley View Post

Thanks
Isn't Raglan Road wonderful?! Since it is not a Disney owned restaurant, the recipes are harder to come by and the ones online are usually not complete. When I asked for a recipe at RR last June, the server brought me a copy of the cookbook and told me that it was available for sale. Yet I will add them to the Requested Recipe list in hopes someone out there has them! We do have to recipe for Gers Bread & Butter Pudding
Old 02-17-2008, 06:56 PM   #1469
lynninpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatania View Post
Raglan Road: Colcannon
Yumm! I wish I was at Raglan Road right now! Thanks, Tatania!
Old 02-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #1470
lynninpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momelie View Post
Also, one recipe I would LOVE to have and can't find anywhere is the tomato soup that is served at the Plaza restaurant - its not quite a bisque with cream, but it seems like it might have some alfredo or something else creamy/cheese in it. Anybody got that one?

Thanks!
I will add it to the Requested Recipes list, Momelie

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: