Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 08:38 PM   #211
MsStinkerBelle
Hittin' WDW Since Space Mountain was 'Coming Soon'

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamin247 View Post
i had decided to do the poly because i will be traveling alone which has me kind of nervous to begin with, as my ds has an asd. it seemed to be more convenient with the monorail and the pools. and when he goes to bed i can relax on the balcony and watch the electric water pageant. we both enjoyed looking at the photos, but right now i think i am more excited than him!
Congrats on choosing the Poly!

My DD8 has an ASD and I chose the Polynesian for our first on-site stay in December of '06. Like you, I was travelling alone with just my DD and it was the most relaxing time we've ever had on vacation! The monorail (and there is also a boat to the MK) was indispensible for us when she got too tired and overstimulated. Having three restaurants (Captain Cooks is open 24 hours) and two pools really helped me out.

Trust me, I was more excited about the Poly than my DD the first time we stayed. LOL!

Old 02-16-2008, 10:35 PM   #212
minnie my my
Mouseketeer

SeaSpray,
Thank you for posting those pictures. I am having Polynesian withdrawal right now and I just there in December. I think it's time to go back. I love that view. That is why we always book LV concierge when it is available.

Myra
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2008, 10:39 PM   #213
minnie my my
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmom View Post
Hi,
We arrive on 3/2 for a week's stay. It's a surprise for our daughter who will be turning 5 on the 3rd. Does anyone know if I contact the front desk if they can have balloons sent to the room on the 3rd for her birthday? We've done Disney a lot but never for a special occassion so I'm unsure of what is available.
Thanks!
I also wanted to add that you can call in-room dining and ask for something special like a cake or cookies to be sent to the room. We do this a lot before our trips. Just call the Polynesian directly at 407-824-2000 and ask for in room dining. They are good about giving suggestions. I wanted a special cake when we there in December that the person taking the order was unsure of. She got my number and had the pastry chef call me back so I could talk with him to get exactly what I wanted. They are great there.

Myra
Old 02-16-2008, 10:43 PM   #214
minnie my my
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by everylastbreath View Post
Thanks Minnie, sounds great- haven't booked yet, Thinking of Club, but really trying to keep costs down and don't know if we will really be taking advantage of it enough to make it worth while. Thinking of Garden view - hope I don't get a view of parking lot, although it really doesn't make much of a diff. since we are really rarely in the room. Activities sound great, I would love to see my GS HULA! That would be a video event. Also booked the Character BF at Ohana's, do they also do a dinner? I can't wait to see the water parade, we have seen it from the GF (when we stayed there), GS will also get a charge out of that. Maybe we'll see you there! Thanks for the info. Anything else (hints, tips, etc) you want to share is appreciated. Thanks!
Your welcome. My sister has stayed in a gv room before and said she enjoyed it just as much as the concierge room. I know you will have a great time no matter which category you book. Watching the children hula is a lot of fun and great photo opps. Maybe we will see you there. I have met several people at Disney from these boards. Let me know when your going. We are there every couple of months so it's definitely a possibility that our stays could overlap.

Myra
Old 02-17-2008, 07:52 AM   #215
roe
Mouseketeer

subscribing
Oct, 2001 - Port Orleans Riverside
June, 2004 - Contemporary Resort
April, 2005 - Beach Club
Aug, 2005 - Wilderness Lodge
Feb, 2006 - Dolphin Hotel
Aug, 2006 - Portofino Bay/Port Orleans Riverside
Aug, 2007 - Portofino Bay/Beach Club
Jul, 2008 - Polynesian Resort
Jul, 2009 - Yacht Club
Old 02-17-2008, 09:40 AM   #216
BreezysMom
DIS Veteran

My Poly review

We planned for over a year for our Disney trip this past October. We originally planned on staying at CBR but after much research and browsing the DIS, I talked my husband into upgrading to the Poly. DH and I had never been to Disney ever. So this was a once in a lifetime trip.

Upon arrival via ME, which is a great service. We headed to the check in desk. We were able to walk right up to a CM and get checked in. Our only issue was that DD decided to vomit all over my shoes during this process which came as a total surprise to us! But that is a whole other story! (after 24 hours, she was 100%). It took a awhile to get our bags delivered to our room that evening, but I came prepared with my carry ons! Not a big deal at all.

I did not put in a room request other than we wanted a 3rd floor room. I decided to let the Tiki Gods decide our fate since we had never been to Disney. We were put in Figi in a room facing the GF. It was incredible to say the least! I felt so blessed. We arrived on a Sat evening and the Luau had been canceled due to rain. The Luau is dark on Sun and Monday, so the first three nights of our stay it was quiet and deserted by our longhouse.

Due to DD brief illness, the first night we sat on the beach all alone and watch the water parade and Halloween wishes (there was a MNSSHP at MK that night). We were in awe. We felt like we were in paradise. We watched fireworks from the beach a few times during our stay! This is one of the most magical parts of staying at the Poly!

Once the Luau started up again Tuesday, and we were not too bothered by the people, but DH and I like to people watch anyway. So as far as our room, all three of us gave it a big . Mousekeeping was great and we did get the ever popular towel animals! We felt it was more than enough room for our little family.

The transportation to MK and Epcot was first class! Between the boat and the Monorail, we enjoyed each trip back and forth to the parks. We did not use busses at all so I cannot comment on them. (again due to illness, we stuck to MK and Epcot, but all the more reason to go back to see AK and DHS later) We got to ride in front on the Monorail on two seperate occasions which DD really enjoyed.

We ate dinner at Kona and it was excellent! My favorite meal the entire trip hands down! Our last day we had breakfast at O'Hana's. We waited a little to get seated but it was a great meal! We loved Stitch and of course Lilo and Mickey! We did eat at Captain Cooks a few times and after you figured out the touch screens and the "flow", it was not too bad. One thing that we did, is I would walk and get breakfast for us (they had to go containers) while dd and dh got ready to go the the parks (I am a very early riser) and then we would eat in the room and enjoy our coffee as we prepared for our day. This plan worked very well for us!

We loved the lobby! We figured out the flow of the lobby very quickly too! Especially at prime dinner time and before the Luau when people are checking in. But dd loved the coloring table and the classic cartoons and I have to say, we spent a great deal of time in that lobby chilling out at the end of our day. Dh and I talked and met other guests while dd colored and interacted with other kiddos which is nice because she is an only child!

The pool was great! We spent some time there every day! Sometimes twice a day. We bought a little bucket and shovel in the gift shop and dd loved playing on the beach while we relaxed! DD did not quite get up enough nerve to try the slide but dh and I used it plenty We did try the surrey bikes which was a nice little tour around the Poly.

As you can tell, we spent a lot of time at the resort. We really wanted/needed a vacation, so we were not park commandos. We saw every bit of Epcot and MK and did lots of character meals and that was perfect for us. We are heading back in December for the holiday decorations! A whole new experience, but with a little more knowledge plus two more days to enjoy!

I honestly can't find one thing to complain about at the Poly. Yes, the lobby gets crowded, yes Captain Cooks get crowded and is a little goofy in its layout, but hey, I am on vacation, I am not going to sweat the small stuff, we just rolled with the flow. We were saying Aloha for months after our return home!

We will stay at Poly again in December and look forward to going back to paradise. We even enjoyed the Poly so much that dd named her new puppy Poly! We could not argue with her choice!

If you are planning on a trip to the Poly! Enjoy! You will love it!
12/09 Poly CL
12/11 Poly CL
8/12 Poly C
10/14 GF

Old 02-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #217
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Hawaii

Hawaii

Our first stay here was way back in 1983 when it wasn't club level. Great location with the pools, beach and dock all so close. I think we have about 10 stays here over the years. Love it. To me, lagoonview is the way to go if at all possible but we also have had several stays in gardenview concierge. The views are lovely in those rooms too and the lounge of course has a drop dead view of the castle for all to enjoy.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #218
BCV23

Loves the name Hatuey!

Samoa

Samoa enjoys a great location too. A bit closer to the GCH than Hawaii, it is just as close to the dock and pools. I think we've stayed here around 8 times and on both sides. Love them both. The Volcano pool side has great views of the pool and even the GF from some rooms. The quiet pool side has lovely views of the great privacy landscaping around that pool. It is the more peaceful side and the patios have afternoon shade if you enjoy sitting out in the afternoon.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #219
BCV23

Loves the name Hatuey!

Rapa Nui

I'm guestimating we've stayed in this longhouse about 12 times and always in an accessible room. The rooms in Rapa Nui, Tahiti and Tokelau are quite a bit more spacious than the original longhouses but also a bit farther away from the GCH so it's a tradeoff.

There is a small parking lot right outside this longhouse with a drive right up to the entrance which makes it very convenient for loading passengers and luggage. We've also had cabs pick up or drop off family members right in front of Rapa Nui.

One side of this longhouse faces the triangular and huge courtyard formed by Tahiti, Rapa Nui and Tokelau. The landscaping is just beautiful and the buildings are quite far apart so you get a sense of privacy.

The other side of Rapa Nui faces the parking lot. We've never been on that side but it wouldn't be my first choice. However, you would be able to see the monorail go by at a bit of a distance which could be fun for kids.

Rapa Nui is the closest of all to the TTC making it a very shirt walk to hop the Epcot monorail or the large ferry to the MK.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #220
BCV23

Loves the name Hatuey!

Raratonga

We've had exactly one night in this longhouse. I booked our flights incorrectly and by the time I realized it, we couldn't get into Hawaii for our first night so we booked gardenview for my DS2 and me.

We were on the second floor of Raratonga. The rooms on this floor have sliding glass doors and a railing but no balconies. Our room faced the parking lot but due to the incredible landscaping, it wasn't noticeable other than the far off lights at night. Instead the view was of the monorail swishing by quite close and lovely tropical landscaping. I was very pleasantly surprised.

This building is the closest of all to the GCH (well, Tonga ties but is all suites). It is also closest to the bus stop, laundry and convenient to both pools. For anyone who needs to minimize walking, it is a great choice as is Niue.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #221
TotalSnowWhite
DIS Veteran

We'll be checking into the Poly in 100 DAYS!!!!!

Old 02-17-2008, 02:31 PM   #222
dwcrosby1
NewbieMinnie

? For Those Who Used AAA To Book The Poly

I am new to this board, and my family is taking our first trip to WDW in April. My husband and I never went as kids and this will be the first for our six yr old daughter. I am so excited about the whole planning process.

We booked a MK view. Is there any particular longhouse used for AAA bookings? I was told we would know which longhouse we will be staying in until check in. Can any AAA member give me an idea of what longhouse we will most likely be put in that has the MK view? Just curious about the longhouse and what it will be like. Any help will be appreciated. I love this board and I have learned so much about Disney. I hope to plan many more WDW vactions in the furture based on the great info provided on this board.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #223
HerdOHuds
Minnie is really just Mickey, but in drag!
A couple of buckets of beer were involved so I may be a little fuzzy on that!

MsStinkerbelle and Minnie My My,
Thanks for the info! That really helps. I am torn between going to the Contemporary for a meal or doing Ohana. Maybe both? I am wondering which has better food!?
Old 02-17-2008, 03:22 PM   #224
disneytraceyl
Loving All Things Disney

We will be staying at the poly for 1 night 3/1. We are planning on doing the P&P party. This will be the first time staying there. We will be coming off of the Magic earlier that day. I am hoping it will be great.

Dreaming of our next trip
2013 Disney Cruise on the Dream/Caribean Beach; 2012 Caribbean Beach; B2B 2011 Disney Cruise on the Dream; 2010 Shades of Green; 2009 Coronado Springs2008 Pop Century Halloween; Caribbean Beach, 7-Night Western Caribbean Disney Cruise and Polynesian; 2007 Shades of Green; 2006 All-Star Movies; 2005 Shades of Green; 2004 Caribbean Beach & Disney Cruise; 2003 Grand Floridian & Disney Cruise; 2003 Shades of Green; 2002 Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disney Cruise; 2001 All-Star Music; 2000 All-Star Movies; Disney Cruise; 1999 Dixie Landings; 1998 Wilderness Lodge
Old 02-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #225
tin2003white
Earning My Ears

Recreation

Hello everybody,

We're excited about our upcoming trip and stay a the Poly, too. We're going to stay at the POR while we're park hopping, then we'll hop to the Poly for a few days to enjoy some resort time. We're a family of five (DS 15, DD 9, DD 6) at Disney from June 23rd to July 3rd.

We've heard about the highlights of watching WISHES from the Poly pool/beach area. We snagged a dining ADR for 'Ohana, so we're looking forward to that.

But I've read a bit about the recreation. Looking for advice/suggestions from those of you with families who've explored the boats/searacers. What do you suggest? Or do most of you just enjoy what the resort already has to offer?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: