Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
suzycute
DIS Veteran

First trip "home" to SSR - best area to stay?

Hi all

We are going "home" for our first time to SSR in October (to coincide with our 25th wedding anniversary). I have read lots of threads about best places to request - some say Springs, some say Grandstand, some say Congress Park. We are a reasonably fit late 40's couple (who are leaving our offspring at home this time - much to their disgust!) - Is there anywhere you would say would be great to stay (or anywhere you would avoid???). I realise we might get conflicting opinions but would love your views. Many thanks.
suzycute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
Claire L
Enjoys a good broadway show
Likes a nice cold glass of White Zinfandel
Has been known to have a blonde moment now and then

As a couple in our early 30's no kids we loved the Grandstand area in October. The views over the golf course were great and the pool was lovely, esp the bar with refill point for the mugs It was never too busy and very peaceful.

Claire
Aug 90 to Mar 98 - 6 visits to US and 20 states visited, inc 2 trips to WDW and 2 trips to DL Jun 01 - WDW Grosvenor DTD 2wks + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk Jun 02 - WDW WL 2wks Feb 03 - New York 4nts Jun 03 - West Coast 3wks SF to LA & DL for 3 days Oct 04 - WDW AKL 10nts + RPR 2nts Jun 05 - WDW YC 10nts + HRH 4nts + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk! Jun 06 - SF to LV inc Lake Tahoe, Yosemite + the Grand Canyon 3wks Dec 06 - NYE at WDW POFQ 11nts inc RPR 1nt Oct 07 - WDW SSR 2wks inc PBH 1nt May 08 - WDW AKV 15nts inc PBH 1nt + VB 4nts Feb 09 - WDW SSR 1wk + BWI 1wk Jun 09 - Washington DC for 1wk Dec 09 - New York for 6nts Oct 10 - Miami 3nts & WDW AKV KV 13nts inc HRH 1nt Jun 11 - LA to Seattle for 3wks inc 3 days at DLC Oct 12 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt Oct 14 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt

Last edited by Claire L; 02-16-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Claire L is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2008, 02:08 AM   #3
Boss Hogg
It's 5 o'clock somewhere
Tinky Winky isn't it?!
"How do you fancy it?"

I'm with Claire on this, we've stayed at Grandstand twice and love it. We've had golf course views both times and it was very peaceful. Also, the pool never gets that busy in our experience.

Also, the walk to Downtown Disney is not too far.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
Merylj
DIS Veteran

We stayed in Congress park and had a DTD view - wonderful! Also less than ten minute walk to DTD
Old 02-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
vabeth
Mouseketeer

We stayed in the Grandstand last week and really liked it. It was a very peaceful area and we had a lovely view of the golf course, but my favourite area is Congress park. Last year we had the most amazing view of DTD. The proximity to Marketplace from our room (a 6 minute walk) was what really sold it to us.
vabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:19 AM   #6
granmaz
Dis Veteran and Old Geezer

I'm interested in this too are we are going for the first time in December. Really looking forward to the trip.

ClaireL - in your early 20's?

granmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
Claire L
Enjoys a good broadway show
Likes a nice cold glass of White Zinfandel
Has been known to have a blonde moment now and then

Quote:
Originally Posted by granmaz View Post
I'm interested in this too are we are going for the first time in December. Really looking forward to the trip.

ClaireL - in your early 20's?
Lol Maz, wishful thinking eh!! Typo though.

Claire
Aug 90 to Mar 98 - 6 visits to US and 20 states visited, inc 2 trips to WDW and 2 trips to DL Jun 01 - WDW Grosvenor DTD 2wks + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk Jun 02 - WDW WL 2wks Feb 03 - New York 4nts Jun 03 - West Coast 3wks SF to LA & DL for 3 days Oct 04 - WDW AKL 10nts + RPR 2nts Jun 05 - WDW YC 10nts + HRH 4nts + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk! Jun 06 - SF to LV inc Lake Tahoe, Yosemite + the Grand Canyon 3wks Dec 06 - NYE at WDW POFQ 11nts inc RPR 1nt Oct 07 - WDW SSR 2wks inc PBH 1nt May 08 - WDW AKV 15nts inc PBH 1nt + VB 4nts Feb 09 - WDW SSR 1wk + BWI 1wk Jun 09 - Washington DC for 1wk Dec 09 - New York for 6nts Oct 10 - Miami 3nts & WDW AKV KV 13nts inc HRH 1nt Jun 11 - LA to Seattle for 3wks inc 3 days at DLC Oct 12 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt Oct 14 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt
Claire L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
crabbie1
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=granmaz;23233808]I'm interested in this too are we are going for the first time in December. Really looking forward to the trip.

ClaireL - in your early 20's?[/QUOTe

When in december are you at SSR? We are there from the 18TH-24TH after pop and 4 night wonder.Never stayed here before but been advised the springs as we have alittle one or congress park.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

We've stayed twice at Grandstand and I love it, but I've nothing else to compare it with. The units are the newest, so that's a plus for us. The view was better the first time (although both had golf course views and looked towards the waterway which passes SSR from POR and POFQ). I'm thinking that wherever we stay, the views from the extremities of the buildings are going to be the best, simply because they don't then look out over other buildings. If you imagine the buildings as a broadened, squared "U", the units at the tips are the ones I'd opt for. The view from our studio (at the right-hand top of the "U" of the building overlooking the old Treehouse Villas of the Disney Village Institute) was perfect. Last month we had a dedicated 2-bed facing the same direction, but in the "dip" of the "U", which meant we were looking at other units in both directions. I hope this all makes sense! The view only really matters if you're going to spend any time on the balcony, although I'd be disappointed if we got a car-par view (and would probably ask to be moved). Grandstand is very close to the main building, the boat dock and the walkway to DTD West Side, and we've asked for the same location again for our next trip in November.

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake TowerJanuary 2015 ~ Four Seasons Golden Oak/Bay Lake Tower
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:04 AM   #10
suzycute
DIS Veteran

Many thanks for your very helpful replies - will ring MS and request Grandstand or Congress Park!
suzycute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:00 AM   #11
granmaz
Dis Veteran and Old Geezer

[QUOTE=crabbie1;23239871]
Quote:
Originally Posted by granmaz View Post

ClaireL - in your early 20's?[/QUOTe

When in december are you at SSR? We are there from the 18TH-24TH after pop and 4 night wonder.Never stayed here before but been advised the springs as we have alittle one or congress park.

We're actually booked from the 30th November for 17 nights, so will just miss you. We did a 4 night cruise last December and loved it.

granmaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: