Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 08:36 AM   #196
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Hawaii Longhouse review

I've stayed in the Hawaii longhouse on 4 different trips, with my 5th stay coming up in May!

I love the location of the Hawaii longhouse. It's located right along the beach of the Seven Seas Lagoon, and just a few steps from the volcano pool and children's water play area.

The north side of the building faces the lagoon and from my own perceptions, I would think that almost every single room on that side of the building would have a great view of the Magic Kingdom (unless there were some bushes partially blocking the view from the ground floor rooms). The rooms on this side of the building are called Lagoon View Club Level rooms, and it's a specific booking category.

The south side of the building faces the "quiet pool" and trees/grassy areas. Those are the Garden View Club Level rooms. These also are a specific booking category.

On BOTH sides of the Hawaii building the first floors all have patios, the second floors have only a wooden railing when you open the sliding glass doors, so you do get a full view, but there's no area to step out on to, and the third floor rooms all have balconies.

I have some health issues which effect my walking and stamina so the Hawaii building is the best choice for me because as already mentioned it's very close to the pool, and just a few more steps past the pool is the marina and boat dock that takes you directly to the Magic Kingdom. We don't even bother going to the Great Ceremonial House to catch the monorail to the MK because the boat is so close to our longhouse. If we're having a meal inside the GCH, then we do take the monorail, since we're already right there.

The walk to the TTC is a little longer from here than some of the other longhouses that are located at that end of the resort, but since my DH smokes, we always stop over at the smoking area at Tangaroa Terrace so he can have a quick cigarette before we continue on to the TTC and the Epcot Monorail. Having said that, I still don't think it's a very long walk at all. My estimate would be about 5-7 minutes at a normal pace. And the bonus is that you get to see more of the beautiful, lush grounds of the resort; there are so many tropical plants, flowering shrubs, and Hawaiian/tiki sculptures that it's really a treat to check it all out as you walk along.

We've always stayed on the Lagoon View side of the building, and it never fails to take my breath away the first time we enter our room and walk out on the balcony! On our next trip our DAunt will be with us and she'll be in a Garden View Club Level room so I'll be able to take some pictures of the view she'll have.

In the meantime, here are a couple of pictures of the views we've had in our Lagoon View rooms:

ROOM #3517(We were in this exact room on 2 of our trips)

Using the zoom on our camera:

Looking to your right is the Contemporary Resort:

Looking to your left is the Grand Floridian:

ROOM #3503 views

ROOM #3502 views
Taken from inside our room

Since most of my pictures of the insides of the rooms are already posted in this thread I won't bother to post them again. All of the rooms basically look the same on the inside, although the art hanging on the wall will vary.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
John Terry Craig Robby Mushu BrownFamilyVacations.com

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
Old 02-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #197
bob_and_dawn
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much for those lovely photos. I'm looking forward to checking into the poly for the first time next week

Dawn
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #198
mr.mike
DIS Veteran

Thanks for showing those pics Seaspray. You definitely have me in the mood for our club level July trip that we just booked.

One of those views looks exactly as we had last year when staying for T---fest. Cant wait to have that view again!
Old 02-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #199
Lilysmom
Mouseketeer

Hi,
We arrive on 3/2 for a week's stay. It's a surprise for our daughter who will be turning 5 on the 3rd. Does anyone know if I contact the front desk if they can have balloons sent to the room on the 3rd for her birthday? We've done Disney a lot but never for a special occassion so I'm unsure of what is available.
Thanks!
Old 02-16-2008, 03:16 PM   #200
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

December 2007 Polynesian review.

Longhouse we stayed in: Hawaii.

This was my families very 1st stay at the Polynesian and the reason why we stayed there is because when our reservations were made the Atrium Club Level at the Contemporary was sold out, so we thought it would be a good time to try something new and even though the Atrium Club became available later on we kept our Polynesian reservation.

Anyway a few days before we were to leave we got an e-mail from Disney Destinations. I thought it was them sending us another confirmation for our Garden View Club Level room, when it was a new confirmation for a Lagoon View Club Level room. When we checked in on December 15, 2007 it was confirmed that the upgrade did happen and we ended up in room 3510 and had a clear view of the Magic Kingdom. Later that night when we returned from Downtown Disney there was a box of Chocolate with the Polynesian design and a card with our name on there, saying thank you for staying with us. So that was a nice surprise.

The Cast Members working in the Hawaii Longhouse were amazing and very nice, the lounge looked great and it was fun having all those drinks in the fridge the whole time we were there. The foods they offered everyday tasted great, however the only thing I did not like was the Sticky Wings. Personally I thought they tasted a bit raw. However one of them did something very nice for me. I asked them if there was any Nestle Quick Chocolate Milk in mini bottles because that was something they offered in the Atrium Club lounge. I was told no it was not. The next day when we came back and checked our mini fridge, there were 12 bottles of it and we got a message on our room phone saying they were happy to do that for me.

The walkway to the GCH was very easy, so it's good how they have the Hawaii Longhouse kind of in the central part of the grounds. Besides that the walk over to the TTC was very easy to follow and it's great staying that close to the Volcano pool.

The only negative thing we experienced although it was nothing major, it took a maintenance Cast Member 3 days to fix a light in our bathroom which was not working from the day we arrived. After telling this again and again to the Cast Members in the Hawaii Longhouse someone finally came to fix it, even though it should have been done right away.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:21 PM   #201
SeaSpray

Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Resort Fan 4 Life View Post
December 2007 Polynesian review.

Longhouse we stayed in: Hawaii.

Thanks for the review, I just added it to the Longehouse Review Index in Post #1

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
Old 02-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #202
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

Great thread and thanks so much!! My next "planned" trip isn't until November 2009 and we are splurging and staying at the Poly- Magic Kingdom View. I can't wait.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #203
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpray View Post
Thanks for the review, I just added it to the Longehouse Review Index in Post #1
Old 02-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #204
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Samoa

We stayed in the Samoa longhouse during our first visit to the Polynesian in September 2007, and loved it! It's a great location in that it is just a short distance from the Great Ceremonial House, and a few more steps to the beach. Samoa is located smack dab in between the Nanea Volcano Pool and the quiet pool (our room overlooked the quiet pool). What makes the walk to Samoa so wonderful is once outside the GCH, you have to cross the bridge over the stream. So cute and peaceful! We had a second floor room, so no balcony, but that really did not bother us in the slightest!

Old 02-16-2008, 05:25 PM   #205
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Fiji

We stayed in the Fiji longhouse during our second Polynesian visit in December 2007. Loved this location! If you exit out of the Great Ceremonial House after walking past Captain Cook's, you will be exiting near the marina. Fiji is just a short walk from here, on the opposite side of the marina. This location is great as it seems a bit quiet over here! We had a first floor room, and honestly I think this was my favorite location to be in that sense. Our patio overlooked the marina, but was separated just enough from the walkway that we didn't feel intruded upon by passersby (not that there were many!). It was a really relaxing place to just hang out and visit!

Old 02-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #206
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Rarotonga

We stayed in Rarotonga during our most recent stay at Polynesian in February 2008. What an excellent location! Seriously like six steps (ok, maybe a few more!) from the Great Ceremonial House! You just could not get any closer than this, and we loved the pathway leading directly to the parking lot also just outside of the longhouse. This was convenient for making a quick run to/from the car. We had a second floor room, so no balcony. Balcony isn't important to us, but I could see how one might want one here. Our room overlooked the monorail...how cool is that!?! Loved this location also. I think we'll continue to not make any longhouse requests and just see where we end up. Seems we have loved all locations so far!

Old 02-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #207
SeaSpray

Call me "impatient"

iloverags2: Thanks for the reviews of Samoa and Fiji, I've added them to the Longhouse review index
And Rarotonga! lol

[/center]
Old 02-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #208
SeaSpray

Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmom View Post
Hi,
We arrive on 3/2 for a week's stay. It's a surprise for our daughter who will be turning 5 on the 3rd. Does anyone know if I contact the front desk if they can have balloons sent to the room on the 3rd for her birthday? We've done Disney a lot but never for a special occassion so I'm unsure of what is available.
Thanks!

I'm not sure if the front desk can arrange anything for you (it never hurts to ask though!) but I know that if you want to order something, you can do it in advance through the Disney Florist. hey things you can order for virtually any occasion. Here's a link to their web site: http://www.disneyflorist.com/
I hope you have a great trip!

[/center]
Old 02-16-2008, 08:09 PM   #209
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

this thread has been so helpful! i am planning my first stay IN wdw with ds4 in november. i have been many times, but always stayed outside disney. i had decided to do the poly because i will be traveling alone which has me kind of nervous to begin with, as my ds has an asd. it seemed to be more convenient with the monorail and the pools. and when he goes to bed i can relax on the balcony and watch the electric water pageant. we both enjoyed looking at the photos, but right now i think i am more excited than him!
Old 02-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #210
jndmommy
Disney dreaming 24/7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmom View Post
Hi,
Thanks!
Every summer for the past 4 years we have gone around our dd's b'day. If you tell the front desk about her birthday they will send a couple of balloons. They also usually ask the name of a character she likes. They have sent her a 5X7 of that character and it'll say Happy Birthday to _____ on it. My dd always gets a real kick out of it. Enjoy your time there and Happy 5th Birthday to your little princess.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: