Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #31
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Talking Kona Cafe for Dinner!

We love having dinner at the Kona Cafe. Here are pictures of some of our favorite meals there. Enjoy!

Let's start dinner with a drink or two... Here are a Lapu-Lapu and some sort of electric blue martini drink (sorry can't remember the name! LOL) that came with a light-up plastic ice cube in it. It was fun to drink AND it tasted great!

This picture also includes the drink that can order at most WDW restaurants; "Pirate's Punch". You can get ANY soda, and it comes with the souvenir cup and a light-up Tinkerbell or light-up Capt. Hook. The lights also have clips on them so you can clip them to your backpack, shirt, etc. There's a switch on them too, so you can save the battery.

This is "shrimp toast" and was brought complimentary to our table. I'm not sure why we got it; DH and I were wearing Anniversary pins, maybe that was why? No idea... but it was DELICIOUS! And everyone at my table was given their own serving:

I LOVE these sticky wings appetizer. The sauce is delicious and has a nice drizzle of some sort of mustard. DH and I ALWAYS get these wings whenever we have dinner at the Kona Cafe:

Beef Teriyaki; this is the entree' that DH and I almost always gets. I love it; it's always been a nice cut of sirloin steak, with a light teriyaki glaze, pineapple/mango salsa, and fresh brocolli:

Shrimp and scallops

Turkey medallions wrapped in bacon:

Prime rib:

Pan Asian noodles (with chicken and with shrimp):

Kiluea torte (although I've heard that they changed this! I'll report back after my trip in May. I'll have to order this for "investigative" reasons. LOL)

cheesecake:

Koko puffs, which are no longer on the menu, are still brought out for special occasions! DH and I were wearing our Anniversary pins when our server presented this to us. We thought it was such a nice gesture! And the koko puffs were delicious:

Kiddie Cone:

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
Old 02-02-2008, 08:11 PM   #32
MsStinkerBelle
Hittin' WDW Since Space Mountain was 'Coming Soon'

We have a loonngg wait ahead of us as it will be December before we're back at the Poly. But this thread will help the time pass by quicker. My DD8 (who has PDD) absolutely adores the Poly and has the best memories of Disney from that resort.

I've even hooked other family members so bad that they've decided if they can't stay at the Poly, they're not going to Disney.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2008, 08:14 PM   #33
SeaSpray

Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jndmommy View Post
Terry, thanks so much for creating this awesome thread. We are going in August and it'll be our first stay at Poly. These pics are such a great big help with my 4 y.o. ds who has high functioning autism/aspergers. He needs to be be built up to everything and thrives on knowing what's ahead. He loves the pics especially the kids water area with the shooting water. Thanks again so much!
I'm so glad to hear that your DS is also enjoying the thread! My DS16 1/2 is also a very high-fuctioning person with Asperger's, and he loves the Polynesian resort, and he loves the Kona Cafe, and Always orders the Kiddie Cone. (That's him in the picture with the Kiddie Cone, taken back in 2005). My DS also has to be built up to everything and feels better when he knows what to expect, which I think is why we always stay at the Polynesian on the trips when the kids are with us (at almost-20 and almost-17 they don't really want to spend time at WDW as much as DH and I like to).

Hello to your DS! I hope you all have a wonderful time at the Polynesian!

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
Old 02-02-2008, 08:27 PM   #34
dishm12/08
Obsessing Over Our Disneymoon. One Day At A Time

Here's Hoping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpray View Post
We love having dinner at the Kona Cafe. Here are pictures of some of our favorite meals there. Enjoy!

Let's start dinner with a drink or two... Here are a Lapu-Lapu and some sort of electric blue martini drink (sorry can't remember the name! LOL) that came with a light-up plastic ice cube in it. It was fun to drink AND it tasted great!

This picture also includes the drink that can order at most WDW restaurants; "Pirate's Punch". You can get ANY soda, and it comes with the souvenir cup and a light-up Tinkerbell or light-up Capt. Hook. The lights also have clips on them so you can clip them to your backpack, shirt, etc. There's a switch on them too, so you can save the battery.

This is "shrimp toast" and was brought complimentary to our table. I'm not sure why we got it; DH and I were wearing Anniversary pins, maybe that was why? No idea... but it was DELICIOUS! And everyone at my table was given their own serving:

I LOVE these sticky wings appetizer. The sauce is delicious and has a nice drizzle of some sort of mustard. DH and I ALWAYS get these wings whenever we have dinner at the Kona Cafe:

Beef Teriyaki; this is the entree' that DH and I almost always gets. I love it; it's always been a nice cut of sirloin steak, with a light teriyaki glaze, pineapple/mango salsa, and fresh brocolli:

Shrimp and scallops

Turkey medallions wrapped in bacon:

Prime rib:

Pan Asian noodles (with chicken and with shrimp):

Kiluea torte (although I've heard that they changed this! I'll report back after my trip in May. I'll have to order this for "investigative" reasons. LOL)

cheesecake:

Koko puffs, which are no longer on the menu, are still brought out for special occasions! DH and I were wearing our Anniversary pins when our server presented this to us. We thought it was such a nice gesture! And the koko puffs were delicious:

Kiddie Cone:
That Kiluea torte is still on the menu and that we'll get Koko puffs because we're on our honeymoon.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:38 PM   #35
DeborahB
Mouseketeer

Aloha Terry! Thank you for this thread, you've done a fabulous job so far.

Your pictures have always been a notch above the rest and it's wonderful to see them here. Our split stay is coming up in May and I can't wait to go. Looking forward to your club level info and pics

I think your blue drink is a GLOWtini. I hope to be enjoying one of these in about 95 days!
Old 02-02-2008, 09:07 PM   #36
SeaSpray

Call me "impatient"

Concierge/Club Level

Club Level Suites are located in the Tonga building. I don't have any pictures of those; if anyone does, and would like to post them, I'm sure we'd all love to see them

Standard Concierge/Club Level rooms are located in the Hawaii building. The concierge lounge for the Tonga suites as well as for the guests of the Hawaii building, is located on the second and third floors of the Hawaii building. The first floor of the Hawaii building contains the concierge check-in desk.

Only guests staying in the Tonga and Hawaii buildings can open the doors with their specially-encoded room key cards.

Welcome to the Hawaii building!

Hawaii building, as seen from the beach:

Entrance-way of the Hawaii building:

Checking in inside the Hawaii building:

Ice-cold orange/guava/passion fruit juice is availabe while you're checking in:

Seating area on the second floor:

More seating and tables/chairs, you can see the staircase up to third floor:

Looking back towards where the food offerings and drinks are set up (second floor), and you can see more of the third floor:

All concierge level rooms have DVD players (beneath the TV). You can borrow DVDs from the CMs on the first floor of the Hawaii building. No charge, you only have to sign them out:

Breakfast offerings in the lounge:

Pineapple bread and fresh cut fruit:

Bagels (toaster, cream cheese, peanut butter, jelly, etc are all available too), croissants, danish:

Fresh whole fruit, and juices and milk:

More concierge lounge pics to follow!

[/center]
Old 02-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #37
SeaSpray

Call me "impatient"

Concierge/Club Level - more pics, and evening offerings

During the day there are cold drinks (cans in the fridge, and juice/lemonade/iced tea available by the glass), cookies, gummy sharks, chips and salsa, cheese popcorn, whole fruit, etc:

Small-sized tables and chairs for the kids:

Evening food offerings:

Uncrustables and Hummus and pita bread:

'Ohana grilled turkey skewers, and scalloped potatoes:

Veggie platter and dip, fresh pineapple:

Cheese and crackers, and in the background you can see bottles of wine:

DH's and my plates one evening; the food in the lounge make a great appetizer before going to dinner:

Mac and cheese, grilled chicken, and Caesar salad:

Sushi night:

Desserts and cordials:

Teas, and hot chocolate:

Coffee machine:

[/center]
Old 02-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #38
CinderellyCinderelly
DIS Veteran

Does Captain Cooks have Tonga Toast all day? We don't have time to do breakfast at the Kona Cafe but I still reallllly want to try this famous dish! Maybe as a late night snack? Let me know! Oh, and does it count as a snack credit or a CS meal credit? Thanks! We go in March in Concierge and I can't wait!
Old 02-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #39
jedi jen
Mouseketeer

Really appreciate this thread. We are staying at the Poly for the first time this August. I have learned so much already from the pics and info. It is great.

Planning 2014 Christmas trip at CR/Universal's RPR; First split stay July 2012-PBH-Universal/CR/Dolphin; Pop in November 2011-just me and DBF ; Poly in August 2008; July 2007 CR; July 2006 CR; Several trips offsite pre-2006

Old 02-03-2008, 08:53 AM   #40
Susiesnowflake
DIS Veteran

Terry,
Always love, love, love all your vacation pictures, but especially the ones of the Polynesian! Thanks, again, for sharing! I'm back Wed and taking a college friend for the first time. I've warned her that she'll never want to stay anywhere else! Now to just have the weather cooperate to get me to Manchester. Maine's in for another wintry mix Tues. Oh, to be sitting by the pool or on the beach in sunny, warm temps and sipping a wonderful tropical drink surrounded by bamboo and palms trees and views of Cinderella's Castle!
Old 02-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #41
MsStinkerBelle
Hittin' WDW Since Space Mountain was 'Coming Soon'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderellyCinderelly View Post
Does Captain Cooks have Tonga Toast all day? We don't have time to do breakfast at the Kona Cafe but I still reallllly want to try this famous dish! Maybe as a late night snack? Let me know! Oh, and does it count as a snack credit or a CS meal credit? Thanks! We go in March in Concierge and I can't wait!
Captain Cooks only sells Tonga Toast during breakfast hours. And it counts as a CS instead of a snack credit.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:54 AM   #42
NeverlandPixie
Not a Princess ... but looking for Prince Charming

Loving this thread ... my first stay at the Poly begins in 55 days.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #43
cyndisun
Queen of the Split Stay

Thank you...and a few questions

Aloha Terry!

Thanks so much for your awesome FAQ thread. We are staying at the Poly for the first time this August. I have been reading all about it on the boards and in books, but this FAQ is terrific!

A few questions:

1. Do all rooms have refrigerators or do you need to request them? (We are in a club level room)

2. Can you explain the balcony situation for rooms in the Hawaii building? I understand not all have balconies.

3. Not to sound like a water snob, but I noticed in your concierge pics that the lounge now only has large glass bottles of water. Is it always Evian??? DH *hates* Evian. Personally, if it is included in our cost, I don't care!

Thanks for everything. I plan on reading this faithfully for the next 6 months!!!
Old 02-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #44
SeaSpray

Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndisun View Post
Aloha Terry!

Thanks so much for your awesome FAQ thread. We are staying at the Poly for the first time this August. I have been reading all about it on the boards and in books, but this FAQ is terrific!

A few questions:

1. Do all rooms have refrigerators or do you need to request them? (We are in a club level room)

2. Can you explain the balcony situation for rooms in the Hawaii building? I understand not all have balconies.

3. Not to sound like a water snob, but I noticed in your concierge pics that the lounge now only has large glass bottles of water. Is it always Evian??? DH *hates* Evian. Personally, if it is included in our cost, I don't care!

Thanks for everything. I plan on reading this faithfully for the next 6 months!!!
Aloha!

1. Yes, all rooms now have refridgerators in them. They're in the space below where the coffee maker sits, between the 2 closets. There's a cabinet you open, and there's the fridge

2. In the Hawaii building, the balconies are only on the third floor. Second floor has only a wooden railing when you open the sliding glass doors; you can not step outside at all. The first floor rooms have patios which are very popular with a lot of people because you can walk right out from your room to the grassy area and the beach.

3. I'm a water snob too, so I understand! LOL The only spring water in the lounge is in those large glass bottles of Evian. You can request a bottle for your room, if you want. They'll give you a new bottle to take with you. I'm not a fan of Evian either, but it seems to taste better when I'm drinking it at the Polynesian!

I'm glad you're enjoying the thread! I'll be adding more info a little later today

[/center]
Old 02-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #45
SeaSpray

Call me "impatient"

Polynesian Resort Daily Activity Schedule

Here is a list of scheduled activities; as always, these are subject to change, so be sure to check the schedule when you arrive at the resort!

The activities are listed by day of the week, the Hawaiian name of the week is in parenthesis!

SUNDAY (la'pule):
12pm - 2pm: Arts & Crafts in the Great Ceremonial House at Keiki Korner

MONDAY (po'akahi):
3pm: Pool games at the Nanea Volcano Pool
3:45pm: Yaka Dula Keiki Hula at the front of the lobby

TUESDAY (po'alua):
1pm: Plush demonstration
6pm: Torch Lighting Ceremony; outside at the Great Ceremonial House

WEDNESDAY (po'akolu):

THURSDAY (po'aha):
1pm: Plush demonstration

FRIDAY (po'alima):

SATURDAY (po'aono):
10am: Hula-Dancing: Join us in the Great Ceremonial House
11am - 1pm: Ho'olaulea (Open House) Held every third Saturday of the month

[/center]
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: