Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
zmissy
Earning My Ears

Disney Visa Card?? Worth it?

Does anyone have or use the Disney Visa card? Does it have any benefits that are really useful? Any feedback would be appreciated. I am trying to figure out if it is worth applying for.

Thanks

zmissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
wheelcap
Gee Mom, I wanna go "HOME"

Depends . . .

I got mine on day 1, and have had it ever since. The 1% is similar to other cards, as is the way they give 'bonus points' for certain purchases. Card members get some nominal discounts on things - I like the 10% off at World Of Disney in Downtown. But, other cards offer similar discounts along the way - possibly better points and/or discounts. So, it's very similar to other cards - if you're interested in 'the deal' of the card, find whichever one works for you. For me . . . I love it when somebody notices Mickey on my card, and it opens up a 1/2 hour discussion about Walt Disney World!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
ceecee
DIS Veteran

I have had it since day one as well. As far as reward cards go, there are much better ones out there.
ceecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
BethR
On Thread Killer Patrol
Too much fun on the DIS today
Do we get FOOD on this thread?

If you stay at Disney and do a package (by adding any kind of tickets to everyone on your reservation), then the CC is nice because you get 6 months with no interest. I like that part too.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
blueangel
Mouseketeer

We have one as well, but don't really use it. We got it to use for discounts, not the % back. We've saved enough to make it worth it on special tours like the Seas Aqua Tour and Behind the Seeds. We've never done it, but I hear the Visa meet & greet with the characters is really nice if you have little ones. We also got a gift card when we applied so we don't regret it, but we've bought five vehicles with two GM cards...almost ready for #6.

By the by, our AAA card really is worth the fee for hotel discounts if you go out of town much. The Disney ones are good, but a lot of other hotels accept them, too. We've saved at least $100 dollars in the past two years on Hampton Inns alone.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
jamesmommy
I find it quite interesting, a noun's a person, place or thing
I was a strange child

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel View Post
By the by, our AAA card really is worth the fee for hotel discounts if you go out of town much. The Disney ones are good, but a lot of other hotels accept them, too. We've saved at least $100 dollars in the past two years on Hampton Inns alone.
That AAA card, or an AP will get you a discount at World of Disney too!
jamesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
Heather1101
Mouseketeer

We have had the Disney Visa for 4 years and have used it on 4 different trips. We will have around $900 in rewards when we go to DL in June since we haven't been in 3 years. I love having free money for Disney...that way we can splurge and buy souveniers and eat at on-site restaurants we normally wouldn't eat at. We have gotten discounts on merchandise and some eateries in DL/WDW over the years, but I don't remember which ones except for Pizza Port and Rancho del Zocalo in DL...so I'm not sure if that has changed. As far as other discounts, I have never gotten a discount for rooms or anything of that sort...they seemed to have stopped that before I got my card, so that is a real bummer.

I'm sure there are better cards out there, but, for now, we'll keep the Disney card as long as we continue to go to Disney pretty regularly.
Heather1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #8
Tosie
1100 miles from "home"

Dh uses it for business expenses and we've accumulated a nice # of points. We went to MNSSHP in 06 by redeeming points and bought mugs as well. I think we'll have enough for park tickets for the 4 of us for our May trip!
Old 02-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #9
HeyIt'sMe
For Tag Fairy's Use only
That weed whacker just intimidates me somethin' fierce!

We've had the Disney Visa since Day One. On the past several trips we've had enough points accumulated to cover all our meals and souvenirs. We also got a discount on our package back in (I think) 2006.

We have about 100 reward dollars so far and we don't go on our next trip until October. Lots of time to earn more points!

1970s - Contemporary: Nov 1975
1980s - Offsite: Jun 1985
1990s - Polynesian: Oct 1991, Oct 1993

2000s - Polynesian: Sep 2000, Oct 2001, Sep 2002, Oct 2003, Oct 2004, Oct 2006, Oct 2008
2010s - Polynesian: Oct 2010, Oct 2011, Oct 2012, Oct 2013 / Grand Floridian: Oct 2014
Planning Next Trip: Polynesian: Oct 2015
HeyIt'sMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:40 PM   #10
aka-mad4themouse
Budget Board Co-Host

On the positive side:
  • No annual fee.
  • 1% back on all purchases.
  • Frequent package discount codes that are unique for Disney VISA members and are released prior to similar package discounts for the general public.
  • 6-months interest-free on packages paid for using the card.
  • In-park discounts and perks like free stroller rental at DLR, free photo-op at EPCOT, 10% discount at WoD in DtD.

On the negative side:
  • There are rewards cards with better cashback out there.
  • The interest rate is generally higher than cards which do not offer rewards.
  • The card is sponsored by Chase, so if you don't care for their customer service you won't be happy with this card, either.
  • The in-park discounts aren't any better than the ones that AP holders get and they cannot be stacked on top of other discounts.
  • The rewards lack flexibility. You can only use them for Disney-related things like cruises, parks, Disney Store purchases and Disney DVDs at select merchants.

Yes, I have one. Yes, I use it often. I don't carry a balance so the interest rate doesn't make a difference to me. No, I personally have no problems with Chase. I've actually had very good customer service from them. YMMV

However, if my Disney obsession ever wanes, I will drop this card like a hot potato in favor of one that gives me a more flexble reward. I'm not that loyal to Chase or any credit card provider.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: