Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 05:34 PM   #136
Lowillian
Mouseketeer

Mrsjvb, we live in Pasadena also. You DH and my DH probably work at the same place. I work at the Naval Academy.
*Late 60s-71 - Several Day Trips to DL (I lived in SD) *Jan 1997 - Caribbean Beach (First Trip to WDW!) *Sep 1999 - Shades of Green Sep 2000 - Shades of Green Oct 2001 - Shades of Green/Polynesian *Sep 2002 - Polynesian Dec 2002 - Polynesian *Aug 2003 - Grand Californian (Honeymoon) *Apr 2004 - Polynesian *Oct 2004 - Polynesian *Apr 2005 - Polynesian *Jan 2006 -Animal Kingdom Lodge *May 2006 - Polynesian *Oct 2006 - Polynesian *Apr 2007 - Polynesian *Aug 2007 - Grand Floridian *Shades of Green Apr 2008*Aug 2008 - Polynesian*Jul 2009 - Wilderness Lodge*Apr 2010 - Polynesian *Dec 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
Old 01-31-2008, 09:00 PM   #137
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

small universe. I was born at the Academy a lOOOOONG time ago.

we just bought a house here three weeks ago, so are still settling in. his commute is about 30 minutes or so..when he doesn't have to be at the other office in Suitland.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2008, 10:15 PM   #138
4nana
God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Godspeed and thanks to our troops and their families for their sacrifices.

Janet Rose, thank you and all the others who have contributed to this thread and also your nice pictures!
Our family incl. DH, myself, our children, and grands are meeting at WDW Thanksgiving week.

We have 6 first floor rooms reserved at SoG nr Mickey pool and look forward to our stay with much excitement and anticipation. Our families being mostly 5 members, it was either 2 value rooms or a suite per family or 1 moderate room at POR Riverside, which was still very small. With SoG rooms being much larger allowing 5 people, 2 queen beds, a hide-a-bed couch, having first floor rooms available w/patio and a place for the grands to play, a fridge and best of all ~ no tax ~ it was an answer to our prayers. We consider it an honor and fortunate we qualified to stay at this nice resort at such a great bargain for military/DoD families. We can't wait and are going to do our best to make it a wonderful trip of a lifetime!!
Blessed with 4 loving kiddos & IL's, 13 sweet grands, 50 Golden Years & Anniv. cruise....PRICELESS!!

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children & grandchildren: 'One is roots, the other is wings'.
~~~~~
Life is a journey ~ love makes the trip worthwhile

Grandchildren are God's reward for being a parent

"For He shall give the angels charge over thee, to keep thee safe in all thy ways" Psalms 91:11

For my dear Mom in heaven

Last edited by 4nana; 01-31-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:23 PM   #139
love2driveinct
Mouseketeer

Stars and Stripes Tickets

Anyone bought the Stars & Stripes Tickets? I understand they are pretty much like "ultimate" tickets -- park hopper w/water fun & more option -- with the only "catch" being that they expire 1 day after the number of days the ticket is for (not a problem for us, we'll be long gone).

They are a good deal, and an adult would save $16 on a 4-day pass ($285 vs $301, I think). But is it really worth it? We have only 4 full days to spend -- I just don't know if we'd use the water parks, etc, and whether we'd be better off with just plain park hopper tickets ($252).

Just wondering what other SoG guests have done... Thanks.
~~RCCI Nordic Prince - Alaska 1993
~~RCCI Voyager - Canada 2004
~~Disney Wonder - Bahamas Oct 08

~~Disney Magic - Western Feb 6, 2010
Castaway Cay Overnighters' Club
Old 02-01-2008, 12:31 PM   #140
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

price wise they are a good deal, but we don't do the water parks at all, and neither of us had any desire to Do Disney Quest or Paradise Pier, so it would have been wasted on us.

since you are only there 4 days.. don't bother.. that's barely enough time to enjoy each park, forget the other stuff!
Old 02-01-2008, 12:32 PM   #141
meriann
Mouseketeer

We plan on getting the S&S tickets for our June trip. We will be there 8 days and plan on doing EVERYTHING so this will be perfect for us. I espically love that we can get them for my in-laws that are coming with us.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:22 PM   #142
PrincessPoohsMom
She's in charge, I'm just for show

Thanks for all the info about the fruit! DD is always a much happier trooper with a banana in hand. We can always use milk for our coffee.

Thanks again to all my fellow DISers for the help!
Apr 2008 Girls Only: DMom, Me, DD/SOG
July 2008 VERY Last-Minute Trip/POFQ
Nov 2008 Girls Only Again+MVMCP/POP
Mar 2009 Spring Break/SOG
[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/ou7v2as959qrabll.png[/img]
[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/362dqfx4qas6g49j.png[/img]
Old 02-01-2008, 03:25 PM   #143
BabyFu18
DIS Veteran

We've done the S&S tickets before and thought they were a good deal when we were planning on doing everything we could pack into our vacation (but boy were we tired).

I think the more days you are there, the better the S&S tickets are (because you have more time to enjoy all the tickets offer). If you are only there for a few days you may not get your money's worth out of the S&S tickets.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #144
love2driveinct
Mouseketeer

Sounds like we should stick with a 4 or 5 day PH ticket and leave it at that. If for some reason we absolutely HAD to go to a water park, then we could just buy separate tickets. But, like someone said, we barely have enough time to see all of the major parks as it is...

How is SoG about having rooms ready? I'm not talking about early check-in necessarily, but rooms ready on time. I saw some threads about other resorts running behind and people not getting their rooms until well into the evening.
~~RCCI Nordic Prince - Alaska 1993
~~RCCI Voyager - Canada 2004
~~Disney Wonder - Bahamas Oct 08

~~Disney Magic - Western Feb 6, 2010
Castaway Cay Overnighters' Club
Old 02-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #145
suevee
I am in a frenzy!
A year later was in the same fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2driveinct View Post
Sounds like we should stick with a 4 or 5 day PH ticket and leave it at that. If for some reason we absolutely HAD to go to a water park, then we could just buy separate tickets. But, like someone said, we barely have enough time to see all of the major parks as it is...

How is SoG about having rooms ready? I'm not talking about early check-in necessarily, but rooms ready on time. I saw some threads about other resorts running behind and people not getting their rooms until well into the evening.
Every time we have gone our rooms have been ready on time and sometimes even earlier.

If you decide to go to the waterparks or DQ then you can purchase your tickets at SoG and save on tax.

This year we will be there for 12 and a half days and the MYW with fun options ticket works better for us than the Stars and Stripes. Also I can buy the MYW at our local MWR early so it will be one more expense prepaid.

treehouses '86, SoG 2000, Sog 2002, CR 2003, CR and Poly 2004, Sog 2005, 2006, 2007, March 2008, June 2008, Sog for Feb/Mar 2009, and Oct 2009 thanks to military Salute!!....Following Husband's wishes ...trip in March 2012 with grandson...Family trip in June 2012...
Old 02-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #146
gibsontrio
DIS Veteran

hey all, taking my first trip in may .I kept hearing SOG books up quick but it seems like its empty except for christmas, is that normal?? Also , just a heads up the new "sunrise" package doesnt sound worth it. You get breakfast and a coupon but that it. The lady who booked us said its more for convience but I'd rather grab my breakfast and go. I'm so excited to go!!!
Old 02-01-2008, 07:59 PM   #147
hildarumpole
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsontrio View Post
hey all, taking my first trip in may .I kept hearing SOG books up quick but it seems like its empty except for christmas, is that normal??
May is a bit of an off month for Disney in general. It's between the Spring Break rush and before school's are out, so it's usually easier to get a reservation. When we went in June 2007, it was at capacity. We even had a delay checking in, because they were so busy and had a hard time getting all the rooms cleaned for the turnovers. A co-worker of DH's just came back from SOG and was surprised that it was full.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:19 AM   #148
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsontrio View Post
Also , just a heads up the new "sunrise" package doesnt sound worth it. You get breakfast and a coupon but that it. The lady who booked us said its more for convience but I'd rather grab my breakfast and go. I'm so excited to go!!!
Yeah, I wrote something about that package a while ago. You are not saving a dime by booking it. It;s the regular cost of the room aqnd regular cost of the buffets and you get the priviledge of paying for that $20 gift certificate to a gift shop you may not even find anything you really want in it. Aside from the R&R package, SHades of Green has never offered a package that actually saved money off the regular price.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:37 AM   #149
vpack05
Mouseketeer

Question ?Overflow rates?

Hello! New DOD Civilian here and long time disney fanatic !

I'm wondering if SOG is booked, are the overflow rates at a discount?

Thanks for any and all advice!
Old 02-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #150
Blythep
Always ready to go to Disney

I asked that question yesterday cause I was hoping that is the case. First they only book overflow if the whole trip is booked (which ours wasn't) and then only certain resorts are at a discounted rate. I was hoping to get Pop but she said that it was the same rack rate as Disney in my case is 119 a night. There is a discount available at All Star Sports for 95 a night but that is only if SoG fills up. I also think that it is determined by the time of year you are wanting to go as well. Our trip is during "peak" season.

Hope that helps.
Pop Century -Sept 2005
Pop Century - March 2006
Pop Century - Sept 2007 (20th Anniversary)
Pop Century - October 2007 (1 night) MNSSHP (By myself) for work
Pop Century - Feb 25 - Mar 1 2008 (very quick planned trip)
Pop Century - June 8-15 2009 Son graduation trip
All Star Movies - Mar 2010 Band Trip
Port Orleans Riverside - Sept 24-Oct 1 2010
Pop Century - March 2012 (Band Trip)
Port Orleans Riverside - Nov/Dec 2012 25th Anniversary trip

Disney Fantasy - December 2012 Western Caribbean - 25th Anniversary trip
Wonder/Pop - Oct 2-6 Girls Only Weekend (MNSSHP)
2009 - Pop Century - DS Graduation
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: