Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2008, 07:20 AM   #1
Princess_Melanie
Princess in Training

Booked our 1st "Home" stay!!

At last!! We signed up to the DVC last May on our vacation and used some points for a Dis-Fix in DLRP (never again...) but now we're actually booked in at Home in SSR for December 2008!! DBF spent over 7 hours trying to get through to MS last week but eventually he got through and we're all booked!!

We're taking my Dad as he's the primary carer for my Gran who has Altzheimers - it's his 1st trip to the US and 1st EVER Disney experience!! We've booked the flights and car (£1500 for all 3 of us, no hidden charges - it's all in there!!) all we need now is to book some meals when nearer the time...

Anyone else going then? And any tips for Newbie DVC members for the 1st time at Home?

TIA!! Mel
Old 01-30-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

Hi Mel, Yep I am going on my first trip home in December. Home is AKV. We are going on the first and are booked in at home for 7 nights. I am currently looking into a few nights add on and a cruise on DCL paying with cash. Don't know if that will come off yet but the week at AKV is all booked. I too used some points this year for a stay at Disneyland Hotel at DLRP and had a great time. Why do you say never again? Did you have a bad experience? I love WDW but I also love DLRP and have been there 11 times ( Dec trip will be 6th to WDW.) I admit they are very different but I adore them both and have no complaints about either. Shame you did not enjoy DLRP

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
Princess_Melanie
Princess in Training

We're so excited, and can't wait to go!!

DLRP was just a bit of a let down I think - a mixture of very rude CMs (especially in the DLH where we stayed), very very expensive food even the basic (we were sort of prepared for UK theme park prices but it got a bit much after 3 days...), and just the general European rudeness that went on We tried to enjoy the trip (which we did as it was for our 1st year anniversary) but it'll be cheaper and much more fun to head over to WDW for a few days we feel!!

There were other things but we tend not to dwell on the trip and look forward to the next 46 or so years worth!!
Old 01-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #4
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

We too are hoping to use some points this year for DLRP, but have been three times before and have used points before, so know what to expect.

Hope you have a great trip at your new home and enjoy all your planning.

Susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
StephenKay
DVC Member VWL 2001

Thumbs up Freephone

Hi there,

Just checking that you are aware of the freephone number to ring fmember services from the UK .

First dial:

0800 890011

This takes you to AT&T and enter this:

800 800 9800

Which takes you to member services.

Enjoy your ownership, we love ours.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Princess_Melanie
Princess in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenKay View Post
Hi there,

Just checking that you are aware of the freephone number to ring fmember services from the UK .

First dial:

0800 890011

This takes you to AT&T and enter this:

800 800 9800

Which takes you to member services.

Enjoy your ownership, we love ours.
Thank you for the info I think the free number is the one DBF uses (I let him take care of all the booking stuff!!)...it took so long to get through as it was January, but we wanted to make sure we booked as soon as possible - keen I know!!
Old 01-31-2008, 06:58 AM   #7
chip&dale1
Earning my ears.

We love our ownership.Our first visit to SSR was last year.We used Magic express and picked the car the next day from WDW. Due to the jet lag ,we made a reservation for the Turf Club. After checking in and freshening up we went to the Turf Club and after our meal returned to the room.Our bags were waiting. Great service and just an easy way to do it.Enjoy your trip.

WDW 2003 WDW 2005 DVC Member SSR 2005 DR Paris 2006 DR Paris 2007 SSR 2007 VB 2007 Concierge collection Royal Garden London 2008 WDW SSR 2009 AKV (Savanna View) VB 2009 WDW SSR 2010 BLT (MK view) 2010 THV SSR VB 2012
chip&dale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
Princess_Melanie
Princess in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip&dale1 View Post
We love our ownership.Our first visit to SSR was last year.We used Magic express and picked the car the next day from WDW. Due to the jet lag ,we made a reservation for the Turf Club. After checking in and freshening up we went to the Turf Club and after our meal returned to the room.Our bags were waiting. Great service and just an easy way to do it.Enjoy your trip.
This is the one thing we can't quite decide....we weren't going to get a car originally but it was only and extra £210 to add one for 2 weeks....we were going to pick it up at the airport as usual (instead of the next day) and do ME the next time....

So many things to consider!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
chip&dale1
Earning my ears.

If it's your first stay try the Magic Express . We loved it.we were told by a CM that if you pick up at the airport you pay more tax than if you collect at the resort. There are Disney busses that leave SSR on a regular basis and you could pick up your vehicle at the WDW car care centre or from the Swan and Dolphin.Disney use ALAMO for rental cars.
As you are taking your Dad why not let someone else carry the bags.With ME all you do is pick them up take them through customs put them back on belt and thats it.You wont use the car on the first day as you will be tired.Let Disney do the work.That's what makes DVC special.Just in case the bags took a while to arrive ,we took the essentials in our hand baggage to allow us to have a change of clothing etc.Think about it and most of all enjoy your stay

WDW 2003 WDW 2005 DVC Member SSR 2005 DR Paris 2006 DR Paris 2007 SSR 2007 VB 2007 Concierge collection Royal Garden London 2008 WDW SSR 2009 AKV (Savanna View) VB 2009 WDW SSR 2010 BLT (MK view) 2010 THV SSR VB 2012
Old 02-01-2008, 03:47 AM   #10
Princess_Melanie
Princess in Training

I can see I'm going to have to talk to DBF and see what he thinks....ME does sound like a good idea - no hassle at the airport getting the car, no one drives to the resort after a long flight...hmmmmm
Old 02-01-2008, 07:25 AM   #11
chip&dale1
Earning my ears.

Plus the added bonus of the bottle of champagne he should buy you on the flight to celebrate your first visit home.I bet that has sold you on the idea!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: