Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #91
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyisDarling View Post
We are in the same situation. DS is autistic and it is miserable for everyone else to be perfectly quiet and still while he is falling asleep.
Have you considered AFVC? We also have a son with autism, (and a family of 6) and we are getting adjoining rooms at Pop in January and are hoping to get a condo for $329 for a week through AFVC for spring break.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #92
GJM
DIS Veteran

We love SOG and have only stayed there - we usually stay in the older section just because it is closer to the pool. I love coming back at the end of the day and just relaxing at the pool, it never seems to be very crowded or noisy.

Even though the value resort may be cheaper, we don't pay tax on the room, love the bus service, large rooms, and even if the food may not be the best, it isn't expensive. My DS is very picky when it comes to eating and we always find something to eat. Plus my DH LOVES to fill up at the buffet breakfast.
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2008, 03:45 AM   #93
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Deleted - decided to start a new thread, instead.
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back

Future Plans:
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Old 01-27-2008, 09:07 AM   #94
ntsammy5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucigo View Post
Have you considered AFVC?
Great hint. I've never considered it, but WOW. There are some great places to stay all around the world. Thanks for that information!
Old 01-28-2008, 01:52 AM   #95
Henneman's
Mouseketeer

CSR vs Sog

Hi everyone,

well i have been debating for the last three years about staying at sog i was want to try it but i keep just going back with the package of course free dining is included so we end up staying at pop. this year we dicided we are going to go in aug ( so most likey free dinning wont be included in the time we are going)and also decided we would try a mod resort. so far we have chosen CSR im excitied but worried cause im sooo use to pop ( but we could not stand the buses wait at pop) so we are hoping we dont have to worry about that at csr.

anyways these are my concerns regarding SOg

1- transporation to from the airport
2. transportation to and from disney parks
3. the no dining plan available at sog

as of right now we have CSR for 7night an 8 dys with park hopper with water park option with dining and waterview we are paying around 2200 for dh, ds age 3) and myself this is with the 40% pin

now do u think it would be cheaper to do sog and paying everything allcarte?

room, tickets, transportation, food? ( i really hate giving up dp escpially since i dont have to think about paying when its all included)

just looking for opinions any would help? aslo we are taking other family member which will be there first time and i want them to enjoy disney like we had in the past...
pop century sept 2007 free dining & 1st mnssh
CSR aug 2008

Old 01-28-2008, 05:27 AM   #96
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henneman's View Post
Hi everyone,

well i have been debating for the last three years about staying at sog i was want to try it but i keep just going back with the package of course free dining is included so we end up staying at pop. this year we dicided we are going to go in aug ( so most likey free dinning wont be included in the time we are going)and also decided we would try a mod resort. so far we have chosen CSR im excitied but worried cause im sooo use to pop ( but we could not stand the buses wait at pop) so we are hoping we dont have to worry about that at csr.

anyways these are my concerns regarding SOg

1- transporation to from the airport
2. transportation to and from disney parks
3. the no dining plan available at sog

as of right now we have CSR for 7night an 8 dys with park hopper with water park option with dining and waterview we are paying around 2200 for dh, ds age 3) and myself this is with the 40% pin

room, tickets, transportation, food? ( i really hate giving up dp escpially since i dont have to think about paying when its all included)

just looking for opinions any would help? aslo we are taking other family member which will be there first time and i want them to enjoy disney like we had in the past...
Transportation is fairly easy. As others have mentioned in other threads, you can rent a car, use Mears, a taxi, towncar. Before ME, that's how everyone got to WDW and we've used a town car service before.

Transportation to and from parks is fine. If you use SOG transportation, the buses are on time all the time. Or you can walk to the Poly or TTC. We found both easy to use.

Dining plan? We've never used it, also hasn't been around that long, but knowing that our room at SOG is less than half what we'd pay anywhere else, it's cheaper than a dining plan would be.

There are several threads about the rooms as well as pics. Most will tell you they are the largest around and are just as nice as any Disney resort. Food-we only eat breakfast there sometimes and occasionally snacks.

You cannot beat the deal you get at SOG. Ask anyone who has stayed there. There are many reasons, including a lot of intangible ones. But, it's definitely cheaper and just because you're not paying for the dining plan doesn't make it so.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
Old 01-28-2008, 05:49 AM   #97
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcp View Post
Dining plan? We've never used it, also hasn't been around that long, but knowing that our room at SOG is less than half what we'd pay anywhere else, it's cheaper than a dining plan would be.
When I think about the Dining plan, I don't consider it exactly free. You still have to pay the tips, which can be really high if you choose the most expensive items on the menu (which many on the Dining Plan do). For some, the tips over 3 meals can add up to as much as some of us would pay out of pocket all day for meals. Just look at the price list of the Tutto Italia menu. It;s outrageous! Think about that tip! Would most of the people on the Dining Plan eating there choose that place if they had to pay everything out of pocket? Just my thoughts. The savings are all in how you view it. One might say ME is free, but I can assure you Disney has found a way to be reimbursed through higher room rates or higher food court costs .
Old 01-28-2008, 06:15 AM   #98
JanetRose
Do I need to know why Captain Sparrow's compass only pointed one way?

I spent two weeks at Shades of Green during December. The last time I stayed there was about four years ago. It is SO beautiful! And the rooms are so big with no bad views (since there is no parking lot). When I visited the Grand Floridian (900 rooms) and The Contemporary (750 rooms), the lobbies were packed with guests and visitors and it was so noisy. Since Shades of Green has only 586 rooms, it was a pleasure sitting around the pool or in the lobby with no crowds - plus no long lines at breakfast or for the bus. I even waited at one of the parks for a bus going to another resort and I had no idea when the last bus had come or when the next bus was coming. Shades of Green has a schedule going to the parks and leaving the parks back to the resort.

I had eaten at The Garden Gallery (buffet) my first night because I was too tired to walk over to Evergreens Sports Bar & Grill and didn't like any of the food! I did have breakfast there a few times. Evergreens was good - I had the Chicken Tenders with honey mustard sauce for $4.95 and we had the pizza twice which was also good - a large 14 inch Cheese Pizza for $8.95 with additional toppings for $1.25 each. We ate once in Evergreens and once outside near the pool. I also had take-out twice from Mangino's and that was good and much better than The Garden Gallery. I had the Tortelli Langosta - homemade pasta stuffed with shrimp, lobster, spinach and ricotta cheese with walnut basil cream sauce for $18 and my daughter and I shared the Specialita della Casa - trio of pancetta wrapped pork tenderloin, eggplant parmesan and shrimp pesto, with fresh sautéed vegetables ($25). When you order this, they give you a clean plate to take home with you. The dish is 14 x 9 inches and has the following on it: MANGINO'S specialita della casa Shades of Green on Walt Disney World Resort. It has a picture of some Italian food on it and it is actually made in Italy! The danishes at the Express Cafe are the best I've ever tasted. They even take lunch orders so you can order a packed lunch and pick it up on the way to the parks the next day. I never did this. We did have ice cream at America, the ice cream parlour.

I wouldn’t stay anywhere else!

From the 1991 Unofficial Guide to WDW (note: The Disney Inn is now Shades of Green): Disney Inn (formerly the Golf Resort Hotel). $175 - 185 per night.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:32 AM   #99
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henneman's View Post

With your 40% off, you might not be able to stay at SOG cheaper. A quick estimate:

Room (7 nights @$119): $833
Roundtrip from airport: $125
Park tickets (8 days, park hopper, water parks for 2 adults, 1 child): $912

Subtal: $1870

Subtracted from your $2200 leaves only about $330 for food for the week. That's probably not enough.

Notes:
- Room rate could be cheaper depending on rank
- Transportation could probably be found a little cheaper
- Tickets sold at SOG should be a little cheaper than this

But other factors include room size and ammenities and location (proximity to monorail and Magic Kingdom). If those are pluses for you, maybe they are worth a little extra money. If money is the primary factor, then it sounds cheaper to stay at CSR.... for you. Most people don't have that great discount that you have.

Also, SOG does offer a meal plan, if I understand correctly, but you have to use thier restaurants. And as you may have noticed, not many people like their restaurants.

One other thought... do you have to pay taxes on top of that $2200? That should factor into the equation as well.
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back

Future Plans:
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Old 01-28-2008, 06:56 AM   #100
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

Room rates are TAX FREE at SoG, so you are saving as much as 20% a day just on that alone..maybe even more. and so are the ticket prices.

the breakfast buffet is very inexpensive, though plain( no Mickey shaped waffles for instance, and no fancy extras) but perfectly adequate and if you fill up on that, you won't need a heavy meal at lunch and could stick to CS if you wanted. me, personally, I don't care for their dinner buffets at all, but I did enjoy Evergreens, although again, limited selection.

you can get round trip service..on YOUR schedule from the airport for under $100 easily.

as for getting back and forth to the Parks. It's a ten minute walk tops to the Poly and the monorail. 15 to TT&C. the SoG buses may only run once an hour, but they are typically much less crowded and the only time they didn't run on time was EMH for AKL one morning when the driver didn't show.

as far as eating in the parks, it can be done quite cheaply. downstairs by the bus stop at SoG is a little cafe that will pack a picnic lunch for you. some of the larger Combo meals at CS can easily feed 2 adults
Old 01-28-2008, 08:29 AM   #101
JanetRose

And NO tax on Food!
Old 01-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #102
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

BTW, Janet. Thanks for making this an Official Information Thread. I hope it helps answer a lot of questions for those wondering about SOG.
1989 .......... Offsite?

Future Plans:
Old 01-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #103
JanetRose

You're welcome - I'm just so excited that I was able to post pictures!

I guess the next time we call for reservations and SoG is booked, it's only us to blame for posting the many good things about the resort!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #104
MAGGIED
DIS Veteran

Here is what I figured for cost.....

SOG room - depending on your rank it is between $89-$119 per night... so $623 to $833 for 7 nights

Purchasing your tickets at SOG... MYW tickets 8 day tickets with park hopper and fun and more would be 310 er adult and 275 for child... total of 895.... or
Purchase the Stars and Stripes tickets which are 293 per adult and 260 for child for a total of $846....

We are using ****** transportation for our trip in April and round trip for a van is $82...

So you could be between $1551 and $1810... depending on your rank and which tickets you buy... So that is a savings of $390-$649... I guess for me it would depend on what type of dining you plan on doing.... are you going to have a sit down meal everyday.... are you just going to have a few..... I would take a look at the menus on allearsnet.com and see....

The SOG is beautiful..... but the CSR is our favorite moderate.... we have stayed there a few times also!!

Old 01-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #105
mom2jcc
Castle Suite Memories Forever!

So happy to see this thread! We are big fans of SOG, too.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: