Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #76
love2driveinct
Mouseketeer

Suzy, WOW, you have been there a ton of times!

I see you live in NJ but still make it down there often. Do you fly or drive?

I'm in CT and DH thinks it's just too loonnnggg of a drive and a waste of 2 days. What's your take?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:56 PM   #77
micmacmissy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky359 View Post
We are going to Shades of Green, in Feb 2009, and need to know where to stay! We will have a 1 year old then. So which part would you suggest and why? What would be close to transportation out (like the buses) and to the monorail across the street, and parking (if we use that), etc. Please help me understand which part of the resort we should ask for and why.

Also, is using their transportation a pain? I know their buses don't run as often as everyone elses, and don't go as many places, etc. Also, is using their parking garage a pain?

Is it a long walk to the Poly (especially with a 1 year old)?

Thanks!!!
I would request the new building. It is a farther walk to the buses, but the old section looked old and musty to us. Even from the new section, it isn't a long walk to the buses.

We didn't think the transportation was a pain at all on the WAY to the parks. The buses were timely leaving the resort and went to all the parks and the TTC. You do have to fold your stroller before getting on the bus, and we found that if the posted time for the bus was 8:30am, then it left at 8:29am - so be punctual! As for going home, you have to plan it well, because they only come once an hour. We often used the monorail and got off at the Poly and walked.

It was a 10 min walk to the Poly. Not too bad if your child is in a stroller.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2008, 07:37 AM   #78
mindyb7
Earning My Ears

Hi All,

My family is staying at SoG in April. I requested the new building but I understand that it is only a request. Has anyone had any experience staying at the older part recently. Just want to get an idea of what we may be in for if we don't get our request of the new building. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:32 AM   #79
suevee
I am in a frenzy!
A year later was in the same fix

I always request the older section. One because it is closer to the pools. Two it has partial dividing walls separating the sleeping area from sofa and table. It seems more like a suite. Three it has four chairs at the table instead of two. We can sit all the children around the table to eat instead of taking turns.

treehouses '86, SoG 2000, Sog 2002, CR 2003, CR and Poly 2004, Sog 2005, 2006, 2007, March 2008, June 2008, Sog for Feb/Mar 2009, and Oct 2009 thanks to military Salute!!....Following Husband's wishes ...trip in March 2012 with grandson...Family trip in June 2012...
Old 01-25-2008, 10:13 AM   #80
SaintTaris
Mouseketeer

Those pictures are making me excited. We arrive at SOG on 06 Apr 08 and will stay through 11 Apr 08, right in the middle of Spring Break.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #81
pickles521
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindyb7 View Post
Hi All,

My family is staying at SoG in April. I requested the new building but I understand that it is only a request. Has anyone had any experience staying at the older part recently. Just want to get an idea of what we may be in for if we don't get our request of the new building. Thanks.
We were there two weeks ago. We were in the old section and it was fine. If I wanted to be VERY picky, the rug was pulled up a little in one corner, so if I cared, I could say "OMG!! it was clearly so old and worn!", but the reality was the room was comfy, I liked the divider between the beds and the table and we REALLY enjoyed our stay. We spent quite a bit of time in the rooms (for us) since we did marathon recovery there. I think I would prefer the old section (though, to be fair, i've never stayed in the new section) because it's closer to the restaurants, the pools and the front doors. I don't think there can really be that much difference, but that's just me. Housekeeping was fine, restaurants were adequate, staff was pleasant. Not much more I can ask for.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #82
PrincessNewsie
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for your reports on SoG I am so excited to stay there in May, now!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:32 AM   #83
sukhakuli
I guess I'm funny like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by suevee View Post
I always request the older section. One because it is closer to the pools. Two it has partial dividing walls separating the sleeping area from sofa and table. It seems more like a suite. Three it has four chairs at the table instead of two. We can sit all the children around the table to eat instead of taking turns.
Ditto. It's also closer to the buses, restaurants, and the coffee bar.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #84
Maine-iac
DIS Veteran

We asked for a poolside room and on our reservation it says Poolside Queen. Does that mean it can be ground level or any room facing the pool?

Old 01-25-2008, 12:44 PM   #85
ntsammy5
DIS Veteran

You'll be on the ground floor with the patio doors opening toward the pool
Old 01-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #86
Maine-iac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntsammy5 View Post
You'll be on the ground floor with the patio doors opening toward the pool
Thanks. Now I need to get SIL to call and request Magnolia Pool area.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #87
Blythep
Always ready to go to Disney

For those who fly

What form of transportation do you use from the airport? We have always stayed and used Magic Express, so don't know the first thing about arranging our own transportation to SoG.
Pop Century -Sept 2005
Pop Century - March 2006
Pop Century - Sept 2007 (20th Anniversary)
Pop Century - October 2007 (1 night) MNSSHP (By myself) for work
Pop Century - Feb 25 - Mar 1 2008 (very quick planned trip)
Pop Century - June 8-15 2009 Son graduation trip
All Star Movies - Mar 2010 Band Trip
Port Orleans Riverside - Sept 24-Oct 1 2010
Pop Century - March 2012 (Band Trip)
Port Orleans Riverside - Nov/Dec 2012 25th Anniversary trip

Disney Fantasy - December 2012 Western Caribbean - 25th Anniversary trip
Wonder/Pop - Oct 2-6 Girls Only Weekend (MNSSHP)
2009 - Pop Century - DS Graduation
Old 01-25-2008, 01:52 PM   #88
ntsammy5
DIS Veteran

We have used Mears in the past -- they run ME for Disney:

http://www.mearstransportation.com/

Also try the Transportation Board. They have tons of suggestions over there.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #89
hildarumpole
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blythep View Post
What form of transportation do you use from the airport? We have always stayed and used Magic Express, so don't know the first thing about arranging our own transportation to SoG.

We used Sun ray towncar service. It cost less than $100 roundrip for my family of 5 and included a stop at a Publix grocery store. The service was terrific. The driver carried our bags from the baggage terminal and loaded them into the towncar. We also were dropped off right at our airline's curbside check-in point. We used a discount coupon code from www.themouseforless.com and got $8.00 off the service.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #90
Lesia
Mouseketeer

we were there in December, and the reports on the buses freaked us out, so we walked to the poly for a couple of days.

Then we used the buses! Loved them. you know when to leave your room to be at the bus stop, you knew when to leave the park to make the bus back. I loved that so much more than the guessing game as to when a Disney bus would show up.

we are staying there again in July.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: