Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #46
Navy Disney Fan
US Navy Hospital Corpsman Chief (Retired)

SOG The Best

My family and I have stayed at the SOG at least 7 times and will be there tomorrow (MARATHON) and in MAY (SPRING BREAK) The staff bends over backwards to accomodate you. We actually went CHRISTMAS 2006 with only one night booked but had overflow for 3 additional nights at CORONADO SPRINGS. I asked the front desk to see if they had anything open and the found us a room for the whole stay. We cancelled Coronado Springs immediately. I have stayed in PO Riverside, CORONADO Springs and the ALL STARS. Sizewise and for price there is nothing better than the SOG.
SOG is tops on my list and I will not go anywhere else.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #47
WendyisDarling
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhakuli View Post
We did that last year on our trip, and they did book us two rooms: one in the new section and one in the old section. It was useless for us. When we explained the situation to them, they said that connecting rooms were never guaranteed and that we were SOL basically. You'd think they would be more accommodating, truthfully, because it's not like we're just more comfortable with 2 rooms. This is a disorder that my ds has, and he can't just turn it off when we need him to.
That is disappointing to read. Did you incur any fee for cancelling the extra room? I would take a chance on it, if I wouldn't be charged if it didn't work out. Two non-connecting rooms would be useless for us, also.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2008, 04:11 PM   #48
twinboysmommy
TGM Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkreis View Post
I just was playing with some dates on their sites and it is booked for everything I put in

Call them. I was booking with them and everythignI wanted was booked, so I called to get overflow rates (if they are booked solid they can give you overflow rates at the Disney resorts). They weren't booked full and she booked me right then.
Thanks for the tip Kim! I did call today and she said they had plenty of rooms open in December. I booked 2 rooms from Dec. 25-Jan 3!

We are looking forward to our first Disney trip at Christmas!

Kristie

July 2011 ~ Dream 4-night Bahamas
June 2009 ~ Wonder 4-night Bahamas
Old 01-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #49
WendyisDarling
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmommy View Post
Thanks for the tip Kim! I did call today and she said they had plenty of rooms open in December. I booked 2 rooms from Dec. 25-Jan 3!

Kristie
Oh, wow! Thanks for posting! I was thinking of Dec., too but online it said all booked. Can't wait to talk to DH.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #50
JanetRose
Do I need to know why Captain Sparrow's compass only pointed one way?

Bump
Old 01-10-2008, 12:39 AM   #51
seabee
Signmaker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmommy View Post

Kristie

You will love it! We stayed at SOG during Christmas 06. We had a blast. Everything was beautiful. We loved the little cafe downstairs by the bus depot. So convenient. My kids just grabbed something quick and ate it while we waited for the bus. Have fun!
Old 01-10-2008, 02:33 AM   #52
LindyN
DIS Veteran

I enjoy the spaciousness at SoG and the courtesy of the other guests. Kids are well behaved and seem to get along with each other in the pool.
Can't beat the price either, even for the upper rank pricing.

The food though leaves a lot to be desired, but the breakfast buffet is fine. That can be said of any restaurant though.

I go to disney quite a bit but booked SoG for Spring Break as I didn't want to deal with full Disney resorts.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:04 PM   #53
TinkAsh2001
DIS Veteran

I am going on a trip in March with my neice and my best friend but we are staying at POP but my boyfriend and I want to go in Sept or October and stay at Shades of Green. He just came home from Iraq in Oct and has never been so we thought what an awesome time to go! I saw if you book before a year that your tour ends you get 20% off..Anyone know about that and also can I book sog through my travel agent or do I have to call them direct?!
Old 01-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #54
dck12ga
Mouseketeer

You need to book them direct. They have a web site that has a lot of information. Just google Shades of green. I have never heard of the 20% off?? But that doesn't mean that it isn't so. They charge by the rank that you are so you may pay less than another person for the same room. You also get tickets cheeper, because there is no taxes there. So when you are going in March, and you do not have your tickets yet, just go to SOG and get cheeper tickets.

2000 - Off property
2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort
2005 - SOG
2006 - Port Orleans French Quarters
2007 - non-Disney cruise
2008 - Here we come SOG
2009 - Pop Century
Old 01-20-2008, 06:39 PM   #55
SassyLassy
DIS Veteran

Does anyone have pics of the rooms, entry or anything? I saw a couple posted of the outside deck looking area, i think it was to show decorations for Christmas?!

I would love to see some photo's so I can see what the resort looks like.

Thanks!

Old 01-20-2008, 07:22 PM   #56
Maine-iac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkAsh2001 View Post
I am going on a trip in March with my neice and my best friend but we are staying at POP but my boyfriend and I want to go in Sept or October and stay at Shades of Green. He just came home from Iraq in Oct and has never been so we thought what an awesome time to go! I saw if you book before a year that your tour ends you get 20% off..Anyone know about that and also can I book sog through my travel agent or do I have to call them direct?!

Yes they are offering a special

"The Shades of Green invites our U.S. Troops from all services and DoD personnel serving a minimum of 12 consecutive months in an OEF/OIF location and their dependant children the opportunity for a special "R&R" vacation on Walt Disney World® Resort. The package offers a 20% discount on all available room categories, breakfast and dinner buffets in our Garden Gallery Restaurant. Limited to a one time use and ranges from a 4 to 7 consecutive night package. Please contact our Reservations Department for questions on eligibility.
This special offer can be used during your block R&R leave or up to one year after the end of your tour. Your DA Form 31 and mobilization orders will be required at time of check in.
Please call our Reservations Department at 1-888-593-2242. Eligible personnel must mention that they are part of the U.S. OEF/OIF on R&R or Block Leave program."

Old 01-21-2008, 12:02 AM   #57
suevee
I am in a frenzy!
A year later was in the same fix

the website has pictures of the rooms and grounds

http://www.shadesofgreen.org/home.html

treehouses '86, SoG 2000, Sog 2002, CR 2003, CR and Poly 2004, Sog 2005, 2006, 2007, March 2008, June 2008, Sog for Feb/Mar 2009, and Oct 2009 thanks to military Salute!!....Following Husband's wishes ...trip in March 2012 with grandson...Family trip in June 2012...
Old 01-21-2008, 12:17 AM   #58
BabyFu18
DIS Veteran

I have some SOG pictures on my computer, but I'm not sure how to post them. I'll try and figure it out and post them for you (I don't have them all uploaded but I'll try to post what I do have).

We've stayed at SOG 3 times and I love it, I get to stay at Disney without disney prices. I always think about booking at another disney deluxe but always end up going back to SOG because of the space, value and atmosphere. In my mind when I can stay twice as long if I stay at SOG because of the great price that's always a plus!

Okay let's see if these photos work, I'm not sure where all my interior shots are, I'll have to find them and upload them for you.

This is a view from our lobby level room, overlooking the smaller pool/hot tub area.

This is an evening shot from the lobby porch... Not great but it's something.

This is a picture of the waterfall leading down to the bus station.

This little guy stuck around below our room almost our entire trip, so I had to snap a picture.

Sorry the pictures aren't great, I know I have a bunch of interior shots of SOG but I believe they are still packed on my camera card, if you'd like to see more I'll upload some of my others tomorrow.

Last edited by BabyFu18; 01-21-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:46 AM   #59
Family Fun Mom
No longer tagless... my wit has been confirmed!
NOTHING FROM THE SEA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyFu18 View Post
Sorry the pictures aren't great, I know I have a bunch of interior shots of SOG but I believe they are still packed on my camera card, if you'd like to see more I'll upload some of my others tomorrow.
Please do! I've been going back and forth for a long time about where to stay next. This thread has me pretty much convinced. I love the thought of staying with other military families. My dh is reserves now and we live in the civilian world. I miss that brothers-and-sisters feeling we had when he was active duty.

Your pictures are great. Please post more when you have time.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #60
SassyLassy
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the posted pics and SueVee thanks so much for the link!!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: