Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #31
LadyZolt
DIS Veteran

We also stayed there in December, and it was great! I agree that a value can be about the same price, but the values don't have queen size beds, nor are they in a "deluxe resort" location. That short walk to the monorail at the Poly coupled with the room size and bed size makes me choose SOG every time.

I totally agree and appreciate what Suevee said, too, and just want to add that, since my DH retired from the military 11 years ago, we now live in a totally civilian community, although we do use the base for the commissary and medical facilities. But at SOG, you feel that instant comaraderie between brothers-and-sisters-in-arms. I don't know that I can explain it any better than that -- any and all military people or vets know what I'm saying. When you walk into the USO rooms at airports, or are stationed overseas, there's just a feeling that you have something in common with every other service member and their families. It's unique and special, and none of the other resorts at Disney have that. They might have more "Disney magic" and that's good, too -- I personally love the Beach Club and have stayed there quite a few times, and am even planning a trip to the Poly in August -- but SOG has a special feeling, too, for those who have served or are serving in the military or with DoD, etc. I think every place has its pro's and con's, but I think the pro's at SOG far outweigh the few con's.

-Dorothy (LadyZolt) (former Navy Cryptologic Technician)
Old 01-08-2008, 03:30 PM   #32
Minnie Lor
I feel that same comaraderie

We love SOG and will be staying there for the 3rd time in October.
Love the....

Decor
Cleanliness
Size of room
Size of bathroom
Deck or patio
Price
Politeness of guests (definitely noticed the lack of this from my recent trip to Pop where men sat and women stood on bus)
Relaxed atmosphere
Smaller resort size
Short wait for bus

Oct '99: CSR via SOG ~ May '02: CR via SOG ~ Nov '04: SOG ~ May '06: SOG ~ Dec '07: Pop for MouseFest ~ May '08: Pop w/friends ~
Oct '08: SOG ~ Dec '09: Pop for DIS-A-Palooza ~ Sep '10: Solo @ Pop ~ May '11: AKV for 15th Anniversary ~ Mar '13: Tokyo Disney
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #33
Minnie Lor
I feel that same comaraderie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyZolt View Post
We also stayed there in December, and it was great! I agree that a value can be about the same price, but the values don't have queen size beds, nor are they in a "deluxe resort" location. That short walk to the monorail at the Poly coupled with the room size and bed size makes me choose SOG every time.

I totally agree and appreciate what Suevee said, too, and just want to add that, since my DH retired from the military 11 years ago, we now live in a totally civilian community, although we do use the base for the commissary and medical facilities. But at SOG, you feel that instant comaraderie between brothers-and-sisters-in-arms. I don't know that I can explain it any better than that -- any and all military people or vets know what I'm saying. When you walk into the USO rooms at airports, or are stationed overseas, there's just a feeling that you have something in common with every other service member and their families. It's unique and special, and none of the other resorts at Disney have that. They might have more "Disney magic" and that's good, too -- I personally love the Beach Club and have stayed there quite a few times, and am even planning a trip to the Poly in August -- but SOG has a special feeling, too, for those who have served or are serving in the military or with DoD, etc. I think every place has it's pro's and con's, but I think the pro's at SOG far outweigh the few con's.

-Dorothy (LadyZolt) (former Navy Cryptologic Technician)
Very well said! I feel that same comaraderie.

Oct '99: CSR via SOG ~ May '02: CR via SOG ~ Nov '04: SOG ~ May '06: SOG ~ Dec '07: Pop for MouseFest ~ May '08: Pop w/friends ~
Oct '08: SOG ~ Dec '09: Pop for DIS-A-Palooza ~ Sep '10: Solo @ Pop ~ May '11: AKV for 15th Anniversary ~ Mar '13: Tokyo Disney
Old 01-08-2008, 04:32 PM   #34
Maine-iac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Like I said before, I just wish they had reasonably priced suites. Having a second small room to sit in while my son is trying to fall asleep (he is autistic and cannot fall asleep with anyone in the room, he never could even as a small infant), would be so nice! But the price is more then double a regular room. I am going to look into some other options for us, but more than likely we'll end up at SoG again hiding in the bathroom while he falls asleep.
You don't need to hide in the bathroom. Just sit outside on your balcony/patio. You can close the curtain so he can't see you.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:37 PM   #35
GatorGirl
Mouseketeer

TY for your post -- we are heading for our 1st SOG stay at the end of the month and very much looking forward to it!
Old 01-08-2008, 08:46 PM   #36
SplshMtn99
She talks to me in pretty purple
I had to hit the bottle
I went to flush with my foot, & my sandal almost fell off & into the toilet

I never really thought about it, but what Suevee said about kids & people helping is so true at SoG. Nice observation. Perhaps that is why we like SoG so much too. Of course, all the other reasons also.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #37
jphilhower
Mouseketeer

WE also love SOG. We are going back this may for our second time. I wouldn't stay anyplace else.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:36 PM   #38
twinboysmommy
TGM Groupie

We're eligible to stay at SOG but haven't done so yet. In the past 4 years, we've taken 5 trips and stayed at ASMovies, CR, AKL, BC, and POP. We really enjoyed all of them - we are pretty laid back and easy to please!

This summer we are trying POR. We've decided to surprise our twins on Christmas Day and fly down to Disney for a warm holiday vacation! I'm tossing around the idea of us staying at SOG for that trip. Have any of you stayed there over Christmas? Is it beautifully decorated like the other resorts would be?

Also, what are your thoughts on the pool, and is there an arcade? (Or is there one at the Poly to use?) Our boys LOVED the arcade at POP, even though they spent only an hour or so total of our 10 days in it!

We're a little nervous about two things at SOG - the food choices (POP food court was perfect for our family!) and also the pool. Is it okay?

Thank you!
Kristie

July 2011 ~ Dream 4-night Bahamas
June 2009 ~ Wonder 4-night Bahamas
Old 01-08-2008, 09:58 PM   #39
twinboysmommy
TGM Groupie

Sorry - duplicate post!

July 2011 ~ Dream 4-night Bahamas
June 2009 ~ Wonder 4-night Bahamas

Last edited by twinboysmommy; 01-08-2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: oops - dup. post!
Old 01-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #40
LadyZolt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmommy View Post
We've decided to surprise our twins on Christmas Day and fly down to Disney for a warm holiday vacation! I'm tossing around the idea of us staying at SOG for that trip. Have any of you stayed there over Christmas? Is it beautifully decorated like the other resorts would be?
They had a lot of decorations out -- deer wearing red ribbons, a snowman, lighted deer on the lawn, a very pretty tree in the lobby. I thought it was quite nice for Christmas. And at that time of the year, you cannot beat the price of SOG over any Disney resort. We only had milkshakes at the milkshake place and didn't eat anywhere else, so I can't comment on the food, but it's easy enough to get to the Polynesian and we ate at Kona Cafe there and it was delicious -- well worth trying, I think.

I'm going to try to insert some pics in another post and see if I can.

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)
Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 PM   #41
LadyZolt
DIS Veteran

Hope that works!
Old 01-08-2008, 11:25 PM   #42
seabee
Signmaker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcp View Post
We're going back for the third time at SOG and wouldn't stay anywhere else. Why would we? It's inexpensive especially for the size of the rooms, it's convenient, everyone is very friendly to everyone, it's relaxing and quiet. We can't eat breakfast anywhere on site any cheaper. It may be the same buffet every morning, but it's standard breakfast fare and it gets us going in the am. Plus, from what I've read on the SOG site, they now have Starbucks coffee!
They do, we were there Dec.06 and there is a little "stand", well it's more than a stand right next to the AAFES store.

We love the SOG as well. You can't beat the price for a hotel in the same category on property. We love how peaceful and calm SOG is. There are kids around, but it just isn't nuts like the Disney hotels. Also, I believe the rooms are the biggest around. Wonderful place to stay. If you are eligible I would definately recommend it!
Old 01-08-2008, 11:34 PM   #43
angelmav
DIS Veteran

The hotel itself is great! Loved the rooms but the food is just not that good (didnt try mangino's), for that reason we would have forgone SOG in favor of a DDP eligable hotel, now that they have changed that...unless its free dining SOG is the way to go! Need to work on that buffet though
Old 01-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #44
kimkreis
Mouseketeer

I just was playing with some dates on their sites and it is booked for everything I put in

Call them. I was booking with them and everythignI wanted was booked, so I called to get overflow rates (if they are booked solid they can give you overflow rates at the Disney resorts). They weren't booked full and she booked me right then.
Paris Disney April 04 Off Site
WDW Jan 07 POFQ Reuniting with Daddy
WDW Feb 08 AS Sports becuase Daddy said we could!
DCL Apr 09 First Time Cruisin'!!
WDW Mar 10 Beach Club Spring Break
WDW Apr 11 Bye Bye Daddy Trip
DVC Vero Beach Oct 11
DCL Jun 12 NYC - Canada Cruise Momma's Birthday and Reuniting with Daddy
DCL Nov 13 Galveston Western All My Family!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:12 AM   #45
sukhakuli
I guess I'm funny like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by suevee View Post
Personally I have stayed in the suite and I prefer to book two rooms instead. It is cheaper than the suite. Also the bedroom with the king bed has no windows or doors and I was uncomfortable with the ventilation.

If you indicate that you connecting rooms because of medical issues I don't think you would have any problem. SoG has always tried to be very accomadating to our family's needs, even when we are booking six rooms!!!!
We did that last year on our trip, and they did book us two rooms: one in the new section and one in the old section. It was useless for us. When we explained the situation to them, they said that connecting rooms were never guaranteed and that we were SOL basically. You'd think they would be more accommodating, truthfully, because it's not like we're just more comfortable with 2 rooms. This is a disorder that my ds has, and he can't just turn it off when we need him to.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: