Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #16
ROBIN4NY
Mouseketeer

Sounds Wonderful

It sounds like a really nice place to stay. Is it only open to Military families?

Offsite '88
Wilderness Lodge 5/96
Contemporary 5/99
Wilderness Lodge 4/03
Wilderness Lodge 4/05
Disneyland 4/07
Wilderness Lodge Concierge 4/08
Wilderness Lodge 7/09~dd sweet sixteen celebration
Old 01-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #17
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell30012 View Post
We were looking at it for our next trip at the end of 2008, SOG would cost me $125 per night plus $5 for parking. I can book at a value for $82 per night or a moderate for $149 with free parking.

Then of course, there is always the Nick Hotel... oops, did I say a bad word?
SOG rooms are larger than value resort rooms. It's also an interior hallway hotel. And as someone else said, no tax. Another nice thing about it is it's proximity to MK, TTC, and the Monorail. You can't go solely by price. There are so many intangibles that make SOG a better value.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #18
traviesojmt
DIS Veteran

Location: Wherever the USAF sends us, which is currently Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell30012 View Post
We were looking at it for our next trip at the end of 2008, SOG would cost me $125 per night plus $5 for parking. I can book at a value for $82 per night or a moderate for $149 with free parking.

Then of course, there is always the Nick Hotel... oops, did I say a bad word?
We are staying at SOG in June and we also looked into the values, but you have to remember that you are really comparing a deluxe vs a value. The rooms at SOG are way bigger than the rooms at the values. We did stay at Pop last year and would not do it again. POP seemed incredibly crowded to us. The lobby and food court was always crazy. Also, I have to say that being about to walk to the Poly and use the monorail is a huge plus. While I understand that price is always a huge consideration, I would happily pay a few dollars more for the benefits that SOG offers. Don't forget, you can also get park tickets at SOG for less than through Disney.
1996 - Day Trip**2000 - All-Star Sports**2001 - POFQ**2005 - Shades of Green/Animal Kingdom Lodge - 12 DAYS YEAH** Aug 2006 - POFQ - 10 Days** Feb 2007 - Pop Century - 10 days**June 18-21, 2007 - Beach Club Resort - 1st trip without the kids.**June 20-July 2, 2008 - SOG**May 26-June 6, 2009 - Beach Club/Contemporary**May 30-June 4, 2010 - POFQ **May 28-June 8, 2011 Coronado Springs**May 29-June 8, 2013 - Beach Club/Animal Kingdom Villas
Old 01-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #19
sarose
Earning My Ears

I am not military so I dont have the option but as far as I am concerned our Military deserves the red carpet treatment! Way to go!
Old 01-08-2008, 01:26 AM   #20
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcp View Post
SOG rooms are larger than value resort rooms. It's also an interior hallway hotel. And as someone else said, no tax. Another nice thing about it is it's proximity to MK, TTC, and the Monorail. You can't go solely by price. There are so many intangibles that make SOG a better value.

Just wanted to add 2 QUEEN beds and a sleeper sofa and the fact you can have 5 people per room.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:26 AM   #21
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Just wanted to add 2 QUEEN beds and a sleeper sofa and the fact you can have 5 people per room.
Yep and when we were there in '98, our boys were 12 and 14 and no way were going to share a bed so the younger one slept on the pull out sofa every night and was very comfortable. We never felt cramped in the room while we were in there, which wasn't much.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
Old 01-08-2008, 07:51 AM   #22
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

I just remembered a few more things that SOG offers.

Free fridge in the room. (does not require borrowing one from a DIS'er and hauling it to the room.)
Private balcony.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:27 AM   #23
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBIN4NY View Post
It sounds like a really nice place to stay. Is it only open to Military families?
yes, but if you know someone who is authorized and will be staying during the same dates, they can book a room for you under their authorization. I believe it's a max of 3 rooms per authorized ID holder.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:34 AM   #24
duketennisgal
DIS Veteran

I'm so excited about staying here on our upcoming May trip. We've always stayed at one of the Moderate Resorts and have always loved it, but as of October 07 I'm a DoD Civilian and therefore am allowed to stay at Shades of Green. I love the thought that I am able to stay at a "Deluxe" hotel for even cheaper than I could stay at a moderate resort. Along with bigger rooms, not having to pay tax on the room and cheaper park tickets!

I can't see where there would be any downside. I hear that there's no Disney magic, how much more magic do people need, you are staying right outside of the Magic Kingdom!
Old 01-08-2008, 09:16 AM   #25
WendyisDarling
DIS Veteran

I am so glad this thread was started. I have been contemplating SOG, but just haven't been sure. Previously, we have spoiled ourselves with Poly and AKL. I wondered if SOG would be a let down.
This seems odd, I know, but the main thing that makes me wonder is the green carpet shown in the pics. I just have had so many not so great experiences with Army temporary lodging with that green carpet You know how sometimes there is just that "symbol" burned into your memory of a bad experience...for me it is the carpet! I just have to ask...is the carpet clean?
Old 01-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #26
sukhakuli
I guess I'm funny like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBIN4NY View Post
Yes, and government contractors.

~~~~~~

The carpet is clean, lol. The whole hotel is very clean. And I think it has a nice theme actually with the waterfalls and stuff. It doesn't feel anything like a military lodge or whatnot. It just feels like a hotel, except maybe it's quieter and the people are friendlier.

Like I said before, I just wish they had reasonably priced suites. Having a second small room to sit in while my son is trying to fall asleep (he is autistic and cannot fall asleep with anyone in the room, he never could even as a small infant), would be so nice! But the price is more then double a regular room. I am going to look into some other options for us, but more than likely we'll end up at SoG again hiding in the bathroom while he falls asleep.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #27
WendyisDarling
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhakuli View Post
Yes, and government contractors.

~~~~~~

The carpet is clean, lol. The whole hotel is very clean. And I think it has a nice theme actually with the waterfalls and stuff. It doesn't feel anything like a military lodge or whatnot. It just feels like a hotel, except maybe it's quieter and the people are friendlier.

Like I said before, I just wish they had reasonably priced suites. Having a second small room to sit in while my son is trying to fall asleep (he is autistic and cannot fall asleep with anyone in the room, he never could even as a small infant), would be so nice! But the price is more then double a regular room. I am going to look into some other options for us, but more than likely we'll end up at SoG again hiding in the bathroom while he falls asleep.
We are in the same situation. DS is autistic and it is miserable for everyone else to be perfectly quiet and still while he is falling asleep. I love the idea of a suite. Even at the cost, it seems REALLY hard to book one. How far in advance do you need to book to get a suite (or maybe you can't book them online???).
I just was playing with some dates on their sites and it is booked for everything I put in (I'm trying to work around school schedule so that may have something to do with it). Do many rooms open up at the last minute with cancelations? Does availabilty have anything to do with pay grade? (ex. x number of rooms held for category 1 vs. x number for category 3). I remember years ago ppl would reserve far in advance, but I thought with the expansion that was no longer necessary.
BTW, I think staying among military folks would be great. Almost everyone is extremely polite and respectful. That would be a big bonus.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #28
suevee
I am in a frenzy!
A year later was in the same fix

Personally I have stayed in the suite and I prefer to book two rooms instead. It is cheaper than the suite. Also the bedroom with the king bed has no windows or doors and I was uncomfortable with the ventilation.

If you indicate that you connecting rooms because of medical issues I don't think you would have any problem. SoG has always tried to be very accomadating to our family's needs, even when we are booking six rooms!!!!

treehouses '86, SoG 2000, Sog 2002, CR 2003, CR and Poly 2004, Sog 2005, 2006, 2007, March 2008, June 2008, Sog for Feb/Mar 2009, and Oct 2009 thanks to military Salute!!....Following Husband's wishes ...trip in March 2012 with grandson...Family trip in June 2012...
Old 01-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #29
WendyisDarling
DIS Veteran

TY suevee
Old 01-08-2008, 02:16 PM   #30
LadyZolt
DIS Veteran

We also stayed there in December, and it was great! I agree that a value can be about the same price, but the values don't have queen size beds, nor are they in a "deluxe resort" location. That short walk to the monorail at the Poly coupled with the room size and bed size makes me choose SOG every time.

I totally agree and appreciate what Suevee said, too, and just want to add that, since my DH retired from the military 11 years ago, we now live in a totally civilian community, although we do use the base for the commissary and medical facilities. But at SOG, you feel that instant comaraderie between brothers-and-sisters-in-arms. I don't know that I can explain it any better than that -- any and all military people or vets know what I'm saying. When you walk into the USO rooms at airports, or are stationed overseas, there's just a feeling that you have something in common with every other service member and their families. It's unique and special, and none of the other resorts at Disney have that. They might have more "Disney magic" and that's good, too -- I personally love the Beach Club and have stayed there quite a few times, and am even planning a trip to the Poly in August -- but SOG has a special feeling, too, for those who have served or are serving in the military or with DoD, etc. I think every place has it's pro's and con's, but I think the pro's at SOG far outweigh the few con's.

-Dorothy (LadyZolt) (former Navy Cryptologic Technician)
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: