Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
Melissa
Mouseketeer

Tell me about Shades of Green vs. POP

I think we may do a quick trip in May. My mom's Boyfriend can stay at SOG and can sponsor us as well, We are trying to be budget minded so the choices are SOG for about 119 a night, but not able to use Magical Express or POP and use Magical express, but we aren't fans of the values and we like the SOG location. I know SOG isn't as themed but the price and location are great. Any thoughts?
5/03 Port Orleans Riverside and Hard Rock Hotel
5/04 Land and Sea. 4 nights at Poly, 4 nights on the Wonder. Discovery Cove and Sea World Hotel Royal Plaza
8/05 Wilderness Lodge- 4 nights, Hard Rock - 4 nights
1/06 Quick trip to CBR with 2 grandmas!
5/06 9 days off site - Hard Rock Hotel and OLC
11/06 Lexi's surprise 9th bday trip HRH and POR
5/07 HRH and Sheraton Vistana
10/3/07 6 nights at POFQ, MNSSHP- with DD's best friend and her mom.
5/5/2008 POFQ 5 days and the PPP

10/07/2008 6 nights at HOME! Our first stay as DVC members!
4/20/2009 5 nights Vero Beach 4 nights at WDW DVC
TBD.
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Bell30012
DIS Veteran

Shades of Green is a beautiful hotel. The rooms are amongst the largest. However, it doesn't have the theming that POP Century has. My kids felt that every night when we were leaving the Magic Kingdom (or other parks) that we were leaving Disney. Our last three stays at POP have been a lot more enjoyable.

IMHO, I feel that the SOG is equivalent to a higher moderate or lower deluxe.
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
mike72688
Earning My Ears

Sorry this is off topic. I've never been to WDW but we will be staying at SOG in June. Do you know what the feasability of walking from SOG to the Poly to catch the monorail to MK is?

We'll have a car so I'm trying to decide if we should drive to the TTC parking lot or walk to the Poly (if that's even allowed) or take the SOG bus to the TTC. I'll be with 3 other parents and four girls ages 16,10,10, and 6. I can carry the 6 year old at the end of the day back if I have to.

Thanks
mike72688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
ntsammy5
DIS Veteran

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike72688 View Post
Do you know what the feasability of walking from SOG to the Poly to catch the monorail to MK is?
We do it all the time. There is a golf cart shuttle sometimes.

Comparing POP to SOG is not a fair comparison. It's comparing Deluxe to Value. I like both of them for different reasons. We're going on Thursday and were able to change our POP reservation to SOG. We needed more room and the logistics for us was much better since we're going to watch our daughter run the marathon.

We've stayed at SOG 9 time and Values 6 times. Deluxes we've stayed 5 times plus numerous stays at FW. Never stayed at a moderate though. Theming at the POP is unbelievable though as it is at all the values. When you move up for some reason you lose the Disney theming. Go figure!
ntsammy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
suevee
I am in a frenzy!
A year later was in the same fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike72688 View Post
Sorry this is off topic. I've never been to WDW but we will be staying at SOG in June. Do you know what the feasability of walking from SOG to the Poly to catch the monorail to MK is?

We'll have a car so I'm trying to decide if we should drive to the TTC parking lot or walk to the Poly (if that's even allowed) or take the SOG bus to the TTC. I'll be with 3 other parents and four girls ages 16,10,10, and 6. I can carry the 6 year old at the end of the day back if I have to.

Thanks
We walk to the Poly in the AM then catch the SoG bus at the TTC for the return trip.

Just for the size of the rooms I prefer SoG to the values, 450 sq ft compared to about 280 sq ft. Also two queen beds compared to two full size beds. Then you also have the great access to MK and Epcot. Not to mention the quiet location, hot tub, and two main pools and a children's pool. Soooo SoG wins for us hands down!!

treehouses '86, SoG 2000, Sog 2002, CR 2003, CR and Poly 2004, Sog 2005, 2006, 2007, March 2008, June 2008, Sog for Feb/Mar 2009, and Oct 2009 thanks to military Salute!!....Following Husband's wishes ...trip in March 2012 with grandson...Family trip in June 2012...
suevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
hildarumpole
DIS Veteran

SOG is much more peaceful than any Disney resort, in addition to having the largest standard rooms. We don't mind not having all the Disney theming at the resort. You get it in abundance everywhere else. There is a Mickey statue in the lobby and the Mickey head pool if you really need a dose of Disney. It takes less than 10 min. to walk to Poly, so there are convenient multiple transportation options. We used ****** towncar service for our transportation from and to the airport. It was terrific. It cost less than $100 roundtrip for my family of 5. We also got a stop at a grocery store on our way from the airport to SOG, so were able to save quite a bit on snacks and drinks.
hildarumpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

I also recommend looking into a service. we used Legacy Towncar and it was less than $100 for us RT(2 A) and he met us at the airport and picked us up at oh dark thirty when it was time to leave. It was nice being able to go straight to SOG rather than be dependent on the ME schedule as well as when they'd drop off yer stuff.
Mrsjvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
cmhand30
Princess & The Lost Boys

SOG is great when we plan a value trip and don't mind the lack of guest service. Transportation has always been an issue. Walking to catch the monorail at the Poly was prefered for us.

In 2005 we did both Pop and SOG. POP before our cruise and SOG after. We loved the food court selection at the POP. The themeing there was great and it was a nice change. The SOG was well the same. I hope they redo the old wing soon. SOG was great when DH was a lower rank and it was cheaper. It is like the rest of the DOD being run with less. Check out www.allears.net for more reviews.

We will be at the Yacht Club - Club Level in 11 days. (Booked by MWR on base, they didn't even try to talk us into SOG) We try to do something different everytime we go to WDW.

Maybe I am the party pooper about "Disney Magic" but, if you are not going for the "Magic" what are you going for.
2008 - Jan - YC CL, Oct - ASM, Dec - POP
2009 - Feb-POFQ, April-BWV, May-BC CL, June-DCL Magic, July-GF CL, Aug-BLT, Sep-BLT, Oct-POP, Dec SSR
2010 - Apr/May - POP/SSR, May - HHI/GF CL, July -SSR, Aug- WL CL, Oct-OKW, Dec-Poly CL
2011 - Feb -OKWX2, Mar - CSR, May - SOG, Jul-GFCL, AUG - CBR/ASSR, Oct -DCL Magic/BCR, Dec - WLR
2012 - Jan-POP/ASM, May - BLT/VWL, Aug-OKW
2013 - Mar - YC CL/BCV, July - SSR, Aug - DCL Dream - 2014 - Sep - DCL Magic - Southern Caribbean
cmhand30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:26 AM   #9
suevee
I am in a frenzy!

For our family we take the magic with us. It is a state of mind we arrive at when we start to see the sign boards and then pass under the arches. Being able to stay just a few minutes outside of MK at a reasonable price just adds to it.

treehouses '86, SoG 2000, Sog 2002, CR 2003, CR and Poly 2004, Sog 2005, 2006, 2007, March 2008, June 2008, Sog for Feb/Mar 2009, and Oct 2009 thanks to military Salute!!....Following Husband's wishes ...trip in March 2012 with grandson...Family trip in June 2012...
Old 01-07-2008, 05:14 AM   #10
bdcp
DIS Veteran

We get plenty of Disney magic in the parks. We get the magic of relaxtion and the ambience of cameraderie in SOG. Everyone there is connected to the US military/DOD in some way. Everyone and I mean everyone says hello to you, staff and guests. We don't feel we're missing anything at SOG except for the huge price tag we'd have at a Disney resort of equal value/size. We always walk to/from the Poly or TTC. Very easy walk of about 10 minutes.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #11
suevee
I am in a frenzy!

I have been thinking about Magic and SoG. Some Magic that is specific to SoG is that there is never any embarrassing language or behaviour to be explained to children. When you get off a SoG bus and are having difficulty with tired children, bags, strollers etc. someone always politely offers to help. Gentlemen and older children offer their seats to ladies, elderly, and small children. People are generally very kind. When reading some of the posts about the growing rudeness of WDW guests, it is nice to be able to count on kind, civilized behaviour at your resort. Also children very rarely run amok. Their parents keep tabs on them. ixiedust:

That is what is MAGIC about SoG.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:20 AM   #12
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

Quote:
Originally Posted by suevee View Post
I have been thinking about Magic and SoG. Some Magic that is specific to SoG is that there is never any embarrassing language or behaviour to be explained to children. When you get off a SoG bus and are having difficulty with tired children, bags, strollers etc. someone always politely offers to help. Gentlemen and older children offer their seats to ladies, elderly, and small children. People are generally very kind. When reading some of the posts about the growing rudeness of WDW guests, it is nice to be able to count on kind, civilized behaviour at your resort. Also children very rarely run amok. Their parents keep tabs on them. ixiedust:

That is what is MAGIC about SoG.

Well said.

I once visited ALL Stars in search of pressed coins and YIKES! It was like a daycare center out of control. I was happy to get back to tranquil SOG.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #13
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Over the years, we've stayed at the Poly, Contemporary, POR, Yacht Club and CSR. On our most recent visit, we stayed at SOG. To be quite frank, SOG exceeded our expectations and we would have a hard time justifying a stay anywhere else on future visits.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #14
traviesojmt
DIS Veteran

Location: Wherever the USAF sends us, which is currently Colorado

We have stayed at both SOG and POP. We will be staying at SOG again in June. We did not enjoy staying at POP. It was way too crowded for us. We had expected to like it but didn't. On the other hand, we love SOG. The rooms are huge and the walk to Poly is very easy. We also never had a problem with the buses at SOG. I have to add that we don't have the problem with missing the Disney magic by not staying at the other Disney resorts. We still feel like we are right in the midst of the Disney magic. I would pick SOG over the value resorts every time.
1996 - Day Trip**2000 - All-Star Sports**2001 - POFQ**2005 - Shades of Green/Animal Kingdom Lodge - 12 DAYS YEAH** Aug 2006 - POFQ - 10 Days** Feb 2007 - Pop Century - 10 days**June 18-21, 2007 - Beach Club Resort - 1st trip without the kids.**June 20-July 2, 2008 - SOG**May 26-June 6, 2009 - Beach Club/Contemporary**May 30-June 4, 2010 - POFQ **May 28-June 8, 2011 Coronado Springs**May 29-June 8, 2013 - Beach Club/Animal Kingdom Villas
traviesojmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:13 AM   #15
dnroach
Freezin' in DE

SOG transportation

I'm new, and we haven't been to WDW in a long time, but I'm trying to get a feel for the shuttle service. How is the transportation from SOG? When we were there ten years ago, it was fairly efficient, but since then I've heard mixed reviews. Is it better to drive to the parks and park, or if the transportation efficient enough to leave the car behind?
dnroach is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: