Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #151
cdotla
Trish

I hope that wasn't in one sitting -LOL! Thanks for reading along! I will have more shortly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyAllan&Eve View Post
I just found your TR and read every single word on all ten pages! I love it. Thank you for taking the time to share!

My DD is three and a half. I took her to WDW when she had just turned two, and now I am ready to go back this summer (or maybe Halloween, although I am a teacher so it makes it difficult). You have given me so many special, magical ideas. I especially loved the pictures of your daughter dancing to the piano music and playing duck duck goose with Daisy.

Wow! I cannot wait to read more!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:07 PM   #152
Winterhouse
Earning My Ears

Love it!

I just found your TR and read every bit of it tonight. I hadn't been paying any attention to the date of your reports, so needless to say, when I get to the last part and there are no more pages I am disappointed (in a great way) that I have to wait for more!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #153
mkmommy
DIS Veteran

Another just found your report and think it is great.

I am taking my girls in March alone for a day at the Magic Kingdom before a Disney Cruise and you are making me more excited.

Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip

Old 01-04-2008, 11:26 PM   #154
cdotla
Trish

DAY 4: PRINCESS TEA PARTY AT THE GRAND FLORIDIAN

After a short wait at the Boat Station, our Boat arrives for the Grand Floridian and we load up and begin our journey across the Seven Seas Lagoon.

Since we had a little extra time on our hands, I thought the boat ride would be nice over the monorail. We had never taken this boat ride before; only the main Ferryboat ride from the Ticket and Transportation Center.

After arriving at the Grand Floridian we took a little stroll around the grounds and gardens. DD was still enjoying her popcorn snack!

Eventually we made our way inside to wait for the Princess Tea Party which was taking place at the Grand Floridian Garden View Tea Room.

Since we had been here before, we knew what to expect. In May this had been one of the most memorable experiences on our Trip.

We actually attended with our Best Friends from Home - another Mom and her almost 4 year old and 6 year old girls. Their family had been travelling with us on the trip, although we were staying offsite at a great 2 Bedroom condo (The Mystic Dunes) and they were staying at PFQ.

Initially because this event is rather pricey ($225), I debated long and hard as to whether I would choose to repeat this experience. Unfortunately, my friend did not have any pictures of my DD at the event (she was obviously preoccupied with taking pictures of her own daughters) and of course neither of us could have imagined that my camera would be stolen!

Surprisingly, there are also no Photopass photographers at this event so I had NOT ONE photograph whatsoever to record this rather special experience.

I debated about whether I could wait to re-do this on another visit in a few years time, but decided that I couldn't. My friend's daughter who was 6.5 at the time was markedly less impressed with the event than the other 2 girls who had just turned 4 and was about to turn 4 respectively. So that sealed it for me. We would be returning.

When we came in May, all three girls wore their Princess gowns with Crowns and wands. They started the Day with a Bibbidy Bobbidy Boutique makeover at Downtown Disney, posed for pictures at the Portrait Studio there, and then we made our way to the Grand Floridian for the Tea Party.

This time I chose to dress DD in her Cinderella custom pants outfit for something a little different.

The event itself is very special. From the moment each girl arrives they are made to feel like Royalty. When you arrive you check in at the Desk and then wait in the Reception Area just in front of the Tea Room with all of the other guests.

The event starts at 10:30am and they advise you to be there by 10:15am. It is nice to be there early so that you are not rushed but there is really no need to get there before 10:15am. I believe we walked in from the outside gardens at around 10:20am and had plenty of time.

When the Event is ready to begin, the Host of the Tea Party, not Aurora but a wonderful lady named Rose Petal calls all of the girls to the front of the steps to enter the Tea Room. All of the moms and dads (and yes, there were a couple dads each time I attended) wait behind the girls with cameras and camcorders in hand.

Each "Princess" is formally announced and is given a Crown and her head is sprinkled with rose petals.

After each Princess is announced, she and her guests are shown to their seats in the Tea Room. When they arrive at their seats, in each Girl's assigned seat there is a My Disney Girl Doll (Disney's version of the American Girl Doll). These dolls are very nice (although perhaps not as nice as the American Girl Dolls) and the same size - 18 inches. The Dolls are dressed in a Princess Aurora outfit complete with Crowns.

In addition, as a little suprise, in each girl's napkin she will find a silver bracelet. (Honestly, I found the bracelet to be rather cheap looking and wasn't too impressed with it). At the end of the event the girls are also given a package with some Disney Princess scrapbooking pages and stickers.

In terms of attire, most all of the girls are dressed in either Princess gowns or nice dresses. Most girls are aged 3-6, although each time I attended there were one or two girls as old as 10 or 12 at the event. Personally I think this event would be a little too young and disappointing for anyone over 8.

As for the mothers/grandmothers, most women were wearing resort casual clothing. Sundresses were popular. I wore my Lilly Pulitzer sundress and felt very appropriately dressed.

A couple girls and moms were dressed in normal Park clothing - just plain t-shirts, shorts, sneakers and flip-flops. Personally, I think that this event is very special and deserves special clothes so that would not be my style, but each to their own!

After everyone is shown to their seats, hot tea is provided to the adults and the kids are given their very own "tea" in their own tea cups (which happens to be apple juice!)

Then everyone is given their plate of food. The children are given peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches cut into hearts, cheese and grapes. (I found the peanut butter an odd choice given the amount of people with allergies).

The adults also had a plate of sandwiches (egg and chicken and almond salad), grapes and cheeses. Although I have heard complaints about the food and portion sizes, I found my food to be more than filling for lunch (even though we were eating before 11am) and also perfectly delicious!

For dessert, they serve a wonderful strawberry cake that draws rave reviews from everyone!

As I have reached the limit for the number of photographs for this post, I will continue my review of this event in the next post.

Last edited by cdotla; 01-04-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:29 PM   #155
cdotla
Trish

DAY 4 (CON'T): PRINCESS TEA PARTY AT THE GRAND FLORIDIAN

The majority of the event is hosted by Rose Petal and we all come to find out who she is and her relationship with Princess Aurora through songs and stories throughout the Tea. The woman who plays Rose Petal is a wonderful entertainer and she makes a point of going around each and every table and visiting each and every girl in the course of telling her stories and singing her songs.

Here is another picture of DD with Rose Petal and Barron Branch, the pianist:

And another of Barron Branch:

At various points during the Tea the girls are invited to get up and sing and dance along.

Near the end of the Tea, Princess Aurora finally makes her appearance. She again takes time to go around to each and every table posing for pictures and signing autographs for every girl.

It is a really beautiful event and I highly recommend it!

UP NEXT:

AFTERNOON AND EVENING AT EPCOT'S FOOD & WINE

DINNER AT CHEFS DE FRANCE

ILLUMINATIONS

Last edited by cdotla; 01-04-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:03 AM   #156
cdotla
Trish

OK - Here is the surprise.

This is a Video slideshow that I made of our Trip. It is basically a musical recap of our Trip. I hope that you enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4pgrU9RB54

Last edited by cdotla; 01-05-2008 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:09 AM   #157
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

the boat ride looked beautiful as did the tea party. I am a little shocked at the price tag but it is something special to remember.
great update.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:25 AM   #158
CleKait
Disney World is my happy place.

Nice trip report :
The princess thing looks really neat! Did she get to keep the doll?
Pop Century Jan '13
Epcot for the day March '11
Port Orleans Riverside May '08
Wilderness Lodge Feb '03
Off-Site March '97

Old 01-05-2008, 12:38 AM   #159
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

what a great surprise. I could not get it to open through here so I went to youtube and put in your screen name here and guess what -it popped up-
The video was really good.
Now it opens. anyway great video.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:59 AM   #160
KimAshton
DIS Veteran

Love DD's outfit. Love the picture of her and Princess Aurora.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:42 AM   #161
HeatherinVT
Mouseketeer

Hello, and thanks for a wonderful report as you know i have been following it daily... Im at work so i cant view the video but cant wait until i get home to do so and show my DD5

Quick question that im sure i could find with some research....where do i get the boat to grand floridian.... years ago i remember the ferry to the TTT but didnt know realize their was a boat to the GF probably because i never did anything fun like this before!!

We have the 1900 Park Fair planned and before that BBB in DTD but i was thinking we could take the boat to MK from 1900 park fair and visit the park after?
Looked so nice.

Thanks sharing your memories!!

Heather
Old 01-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #162
kaysmommie
DIS Veteran

Great update! I loved the tea party pics and your DD is adorable. I don't think I would spend the money to take DD to this tea Party though as she is 7. She still likes theprincesses but not as much as say Hannah Montana . She thought the doll in the costume was the best part. For over $200 I can buy her 2 american girl dolls and costumes for each. I wish I had taken her when she was 4 though . I loved your slideshow !
Old 01-05-2008, 10:33 AM   #163
bedillamouse
Mouseketeer

I've been following your report and haven't said much since I just joined the boards. Just wanted to let you know I appreciate the info and pictures since we are going in May and my DD will be just 10 days shy of turning 4. She's a very shy girl so it helps so much to show her pictures of a another girl around her age with the princess and characters. She even asked if I could get her a dress like your daughter with the Little Mermaid on it. Everytime we look at your report we have to go back look at pictures of that dress.

Thanks for all of your hard work and looking forward to seeing the rest.

DH DD9 DD7
Old 01-05-2008, 10:41 AM   #164
cdotla
Trish

I agree that I probably would not spend the money if my DD was 7 either. I think the prime ages for this event are 4-6.

It is funny how we all prioritize our vacation spending though isn't it? While I had no problem reaching into my pocket TWICE to pay for the Princess Tea Party, I would not shell out for the Poly like you. (However, I intend to get back there at some point in the future on another trip).

Just spending one night at CBR over the Poly (let alone a full week's vacation!) pays for the Princess Tea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaysmommie View Post
Great update! I loved the tea party pics and your DD is adorable. I don't think I would spend the money to take DD to this tea Party though as she is 7. She still likes theprincesses but not as much as say Hannah Montana . She thought the doll in the costume was the best part. For over $200 I can buy her 2 american girl dolls and costumes for each. I wish I had taken her when she was 4 though . I loved your slideshow !
Old 01-05-2008, 10:44 AM   #165
cdotla
Trish

Thanks for posting! I am honored that this is your first post.

May is a great travel time - you will have a great time! And it's not too far off now either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedillamouse View Post
I've been following your report and haven't said much since I just joined the boards. Just wanted to let you know I appreciate the info and pictures since we are going in May and my DD will be just 10 days shy of turning 4. She's a very shy girl so it helps so much to show her pictures of a another girl around her age with the princess and characters. She even asked if I could get her a dress like your daughter with the Little Mermaid on it. Everytime we look at your report we have to go back look at pictures of that dress.

Thanks for all of your hard work and looking forward to seeing the rest.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: