Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2007, 01:00 PM   #46
seashell724
DIS Veteran

Great report! Love the pictures too! Your daughter is adorable with the characters. Can't wait to read/see more.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:09 PM   #47
cdotla
Trish

DAY 2 - MICKEY'S NOT SO SCARY HALLOWEEN PARTY

Now before we begin to discuss what came to be the Best Disney Experience on our whole Trip, let me just say that things didn't initially get off to the best start for us for the Halloween Party.

For weeks leading up to our Trip, I debated and debated about whether or not to wear a costume. I certainly didn't want to look like a Dork or get stared at as the only Adult in a costume. Since there was only me and DD on this Trip, I couldn't even recruit another Adult to wear a costume with me so I wouldn't feel completely by myself.

After scouring the Disboard pages on this topic I finally decided that yes, many grown adults like me would in fact be wearing costumes. Then I choose to do what my heart wanted to do all along - wear a costume!

Then came the hard part: Deciding what to Wear!!!

After much debate, I finally selected two possible costume choices: A Pirate or Snow White. I found the costumes on ebay from the same seller and purchased both. I figured after seeing both costumes in person and trying them on I would decide which of the two to keep and wear to the Party.

This was the Snow White costume I bought:

Just Joking!!!! No, really, it was this one:

And this was the Pirate Costume:

Of course before buying the costumes, I emailed the seller and asked them if they would be able to ship it to my Disney Hotel. Of course they were fine with that. So I immediately bought the costumes and sent another email reminding them to send an invoice with shipping charges to Disney. Then, when I paid with Paypal, I sent another reminder with my payment providing them with the full and complete address for Disney.

As I purchased the costumes 2 full weeks in advance, there would of course be plenty of time for the costumes to be shipped from California.

Imagine my surprise, then, when upon checking in there were no Halloween costumes waiting for me at the Front Desk. The following day (the day of the Halloween Party) I called 3 separate times inquiring as to whether any packages had arrived. No.

By 3:15pm the day of the Party I made my last call and finally realized that despite all of the time I spent agonizing and debating, choosing and dreaming up a costume, I would be going to the Party without a costume afterall.

Rather ironically, 2 days after we arrived home, I found the costumes in my mailbox! Of course I was completely refunded by the seller, but was never compensated for the disappointment of having to attend the Party without a costume. This really upset me as I thought it would have added to the fun and festive atmosphere having both me and DD getting dressed up in our costumes for the Party. Oh well...this just gives me a good excuse to go back another year and experience this thing all over again!

After getting back to CBR at about 2:45pm, we had only a short time to shower and get dressed into our costumes for the Party. We got ready very quickly and took off for the bus stop.

As I am running out of time before the Boards go down for the evening, I will sign off now and update later!

Last edited by cdotla; 01-01-2008 at 09:45 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2007, 08:17 PM   #48
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

that is a bummer about the costumes, but at least you were given back your money and now u have another excuse to go back.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:45 AM   #49
KimAshton
DIS Veteran

Oh geez. How many times do you have to remind something.

DD's pic with the princesses are beautiful.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:53 AM   #50
kaysmommie
DIS Veteran

Sounds like something that would happen to me. Sorry about the costumes. I had the same debate whether I should dress up or not. DH would not dress up so I didn't either, but later I wished I had. Maybe next year.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:18 PM   #51
tadamom
DIS Veteran

That stinks about the costumes -- I would have been very upset too! Can't wait to hear about the party!
June 2004 - Michael's 1st trip to Disney World -- Old Key West May 2007 - Parker's 1st trip to Disney World -- Pop Century & 4 nights @ SSR Grand Villa October 2009 - Saratoga Springs Resort with the whole fam! October 2010 - All Star Movies --1st family trip with just the 4 of us!!! Awesome!
September 2012 - All Star Sports w/the whole family! B'day trip for Michael!
[COLOR="Lime"]November 2013 - Coronado Springs! B'day trip for Parker![/COLORMarch 2014 - 1 night at Pop Century for SIL's Disney wedding!

Old 12-30-2007, 08:31 PM   #52
cdotla
Trish

DAY 2 - MICKEY'S NOT SO SCARY HALLOWEEN PARTY

So although I was bummed about not having a costume to wear to the Party, our spirits were high that afternoon as we made our way back to the Magic Kingdom.

We left CBR for the bus stop and waited with just one other family of 3 (mom, dad and daughter about 10yrs old) who were all dressed as Pirates. Their costumes were really fun and I loved that they had a theme thing going. Once again felt disappointed to be just wearing normal park clothes. Ironically, although I initially feared that I would stand out for wearing a costume, on our Bus to the Magic Kingdom for the Party I stood out like a sore thumb as the only person NOT wearing a costume! I felt like a total party pooper!

Oh well, there was obviously nothing I could do except to try and put it out of my mind for the rest of the evening and to try and keep my jealousy at bay as I watched all the other adults with great costumes that evening.

Surprisingly, there were a lot of adults dressed in costume that evening. And some of those costumes were simply INCREDIBLE!

Although I knew the Magic Kingdom was going to have a different mood that evening for the Party, I was not prepared for the amazing vibe that hit you the moment you walked up to the turnstiles. While the Magic Kingdom is always "magical" and always has a special aura about it, it was clear that everyone there that evening was there for something special. And to PARTY! It was such a great and energetic feeling walking through the gates that evening! The Disney imagery, special effects and staging was wonderful!

One of the best things that evening was the people-watching...people spent so much time, effort and energy on their costumes and it really showed! DD and I loved watching everyone as we made our way around the Park.

Upon arriving at the Park we made our way to Fantasy Land to go on a few quick rides and then made our way to Cosmic Rays for a quick bite to eat. The lines that night were crazy!!! I think everyone had the same idea.

By the time we finished our meal it was just about time for the Trick or Treating to begin so we went through some candy lines. We got just enough to say that we did it and then moved on to Toontown.

There were extremely heavy crowds and long lines just about everywhere that evening and there was no escaping it. Our first stop inside Toontown was Minnie's House. Minnie was talking pictures in her back garden and the line up to see her went through her whole backyard and into her house! And we arrived within 15 mins of the Party starting!

Surprisingly, the lines didn't really bother us that evening. I think it was because there were so many distractions. We enjoyed looking at all the costumes and, as mentioned, everyone seemed to be in a good mood.

We probably spent about 30-40 minutes at Minnie's House before we got to the front of the line to get our picture.

After leaving Minnie's House we went to Mickey's House and had our picture taken with him. There was an equally long line up of people here.

We also snapped a shot on top of the large pumpkin outside Mickey's Garage.

At this point, we headed over to the Judges' Tent to get some pictures with the Princesses. These lines were of course even longer! While we obviously had already taken pictures with the Princesses before, the novelty that evening was that the Princes would also be in the picture. So we had one picture with Sleeping Beauty and Prince Philip and one with Cinderella and Prince Charming.

While the pictures were nice, by the time we finished up here, it was about 8:45pm! We started to make our way back through Fantasyland to the Castle for the Villians Mix and Mingle at 9pm, but given the crowd levels I quickly determined that we would never make it! So I decided we would take our time going through Fantasyland and maybe stop at the Dance Party and perhaps get our picture taken in front of Cinderella's Stagecoach.

We both (ok, more me!) wanted to see the Fireworks at 9:30pm. However, by this point DD was starting to get quite tired! I started fighting my way through the crowds pushing DD in the stroller not entirely sure that we would stay any longer. I figured when we got to Fantasyland I would ask what she wanted to do and let her make the call on whether we stayed or left.

Just as we were approaching Fantasyland DD started to perk up. What caught her attention? Of all things, Pooh's Playground! Now of all things to spend time at while at Disney, personally this would rank about the lowest of the low in my books. Especially on a "premium" night like this when there are so many things that do not occur everyday.

However, DD was convinced that she was going to get out of the stroller to go running around and play in a playground that looked like any other playground you could find anywhere else in North America. So what do I do? I pull up the stroller beside a bench, park it and watch her play for the next 10-15 minutes.

By this point I decided that we would call it a night. She was tired, we had 2 long days, and despite the fact that we actually didn't do a whole lot at the Party, I felt that we had more than gotten our money's worth. Just the atmosphere itself was great.

However, on our way out I noticed that just outside the playground Pooh and Friends were posing for pictures. Of course, I should have let it go, but to me their line looked empty after coming from the gigantic lines inside Toontown. I told DD that we would be leaving (she seemed fine with this - either forgot about the fireworks or decided she was too tired for it), but that on our way out I just wanted to get a quick picture of her with Pooh and the Gang in the Halloween attire.

What I should have realized is that no character photo line moves fast, especially at these Special Parties. We spent about 10 minutes in the "short" line before we got to the front. By then I had a very cranky little girl on my hands. These pictures don't lie:

Lesson learned! Commando-mom was definitely starting to show.

After that, I placed DD back in her stroller and told her that I was going to get us out of the Park as quick as I could. While we never saw the Dance Party, Cinderella's Stagecoach, the Fireworks or the Parade, she was beat and I was feeling awful for pushing my little 4 year old too far.

By this point the crowds in Fantasyland were about "crush" level. It was getting very difficult to even push the stroller through the crowds.

We never came close to even seeing the Dance Party but as we were making our way around the Castle we did catch sight of Cinderella's Stagecoach. This line up was probably about 75-100 people long! Obviously we weren't stopping, but I guess old habits die hard because I did convince DD to get up from her stroller to pose for a quick photo on the other side of the ropes. Not the same thing, obviously, but better than nothing!

After that, DD got back in her stroller and I kept up the good fight to get us out of the Park. By this time it was about 9:15pm and I figured it would be a good time to leave as I would hopefully get out of the Park before the mad rush for the exit following the 9:30pm fireworks. I tried to keep up the pace to keep ahead of the crowds starting to converge on the Castle for the Fireworks.

During our long and slow walk through the crowds I kept talking and chatting with DD, pointing out lots of things and laughing at the howling wolf sounds, which were getting louder and louder as the start time for the Fireworks was drawing near.

By this point I believe the Park lights also started to dim and/or flicker and announcements were made advising people that the Fireworks would be starting shortly.

Do we make it out of the Park in time, or get caught in the Fireworks crush? Stay tuned!

Last edited by cdotla; 01-01-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:16 PM   #53
scottny
You better have crackers

great update. the party looked like a lot of fun. I cannot wait to do P&PP.

I lightened the pic by the carriage, not sure if helped but i tried.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:32 PM   #54
cdotla
Trish

Thanks Scott! I actually still have not figured out how to use Photoshop!

Lighting is better, but what can you do to erase a pout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
great update. the party looked like a lot of fun. I cannot wait to do P&PP.

I lightened the pic by the carriage, not sure if helped but i tried.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:24 PM   #55
scottny
You better have crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotla View Post
Thanks Scott! I actually still have not figured out how to use Photoshop!

Lighting is better, but what can you do to erase a pout?
sorry that I will leave up to you.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:40 PM   #56
cdotla
Trish

CON'T: MICKEY'S NOT SO SCARY HALLOWEEN PARTY

After inching my way through Fantasyland and Liberty Square we finally make it to the Castle Circle.

To reward DD for being such a trooper, I ask her whether she would like a little treat to take with us on the bus ride home. Thinking DD did not hear me over the crowds, I ask her again. And again.

Then I look into the stroller. You got it...sound asleep!

So there I was - in literally the middle of the Castle Circle Hub, with less than 10 minutes to go until Showtime, with a seemingly content toddler sleeping soundly in her stroller.

So what would you do? My arm didn't need too much twisting. Very quickly I decided to stake out a spot right in the center of it all for the Grand Hallow Wishes Fireworks Display.

Boy, was I glad that I stayed! Disney is master at building anticipation with all of the sound effects and special lighting on the Castle. It was remarkable how they were able to make such a well-known and beloved Castle take on the aura of a "spooked" Castle, more similar to Haunted Mansion than Cinderella's Home.

After all of the anticipation, the show itself continued to amaze. It was literally the best fireworks display I had ever seen! And with all the special lighting effects on the Castle it truly was spectacular.

Despite the steady barrage of "Bang", "Pop", "Bang" throughout the 15 minute Firework Display, DD did not wake. As it ended I gathered myself up and started pushing DD in her stroller out toward the exit.

As I passed Main Street, I decided to give into temptation and take a "quick peak" inside some of the shops. While I had tried a small amount of shopping in the Parks with DD, to date I hadn't spent more than about 5 mins. Unfortunately DD doesn't yet share this love of mine - LOL!

Apart from some Princess Christmas ornaments for DD's bedroom tree and a pair of Mickey Ears, I still had not made any purchases. So, with DD still fast asleep and oblivious in her stroller, I decided to take advantage of the opportunity.

By this point it was about 9:50pm and I was feeling rather sheepish for having a toddler out so late, even if she was fast sleep. I really didn't want to be looked at as one of "those" parents.

However, after taking a quick look around, I soon discovered that there were plenty of other kids DD's age also sound asleep in their strollers while their parents were enjoying some leisuretime in the Park. So, while I still may be considered one of "those" parents, I figured I was in good company.

With the debate over, I spent the next 25 minutes or so in air conditioned shopping enjoyment. I managed to get a fair bit of things bought to take home as Christmas gifts, including a ton of cookies, candies and chocolates for all of our Christmas stockings, some books and pirate toys for the kids, and of course a ton of Princess items for DD.

I was so thankful on Christmas morning that I did the shopping that evening. Otherwise I know we would not have had any time to fit it in. Plus, it was great that DD did not see any of the purchases!

What was really great about staying on property was that I would not even have to worry about carting everything back to the resort that evening on the bus. Instead, everything would be sent directly to CBR. Can't beat that!

By this point in time, we were about 5-10 minutes from the Parade. So again, I figured what's the harm? DD was sleeping; I might as well stay and watch. So I park DD in her stroller on the curb and seat myself down beside her around the Town Hall Circle at the Park Entrance.

(You can see that although I did not have a costume, I did at least purchase a set of Mickey Ears!)

First up was the infamous Headless Horseman. Of course he was very fast galloping down the street (they warned everyone to stay back minutes before he arrived), but I did manage to snap a few quick photos:

Then came the Parade. I don't have any great photos, but here are some poor quality ones to at least give some idea:

These guys were my favourites:

After the Parade, it was obviously quite late and time for us to get home. This is when I discovered the clear drawback to the combination of a rented stroller and no rental car. You cannot leave the turnstiles with Park rental strollers. That means that before exiting the turnstiles, you somehow have to find a way to drag sleeping toddlers out of their strollers along with any bags, ect. and walk the length of about 2-3 football fields to the bus line ups. (Of course, CBR's bus stop is one of the farthest if not the farthest stop from the entrance to the MK!)

This of course is even more challenging if you happen to be a solo traveller like me. Honestly, I don't know what the harm would be in allowing those people travelling to the bus stops to take the strollers to a return bin there where the strollers could be collected!

(Note to self: when travelling to late nite Park events, ALWAYS travel with my OWN stroller and rental car!)

After about a 10 minute wait for the bus and what seemed like an even longer bus ride home, we finally arrived back at CBR. Fortunately I was not alone in keeping a sleeping toddler up at this hour so I didn't notice any untoward stares on the ride home.

Despite the struggle at the end, we had another fabulous day starting with the Little Ones Extra Magic Hour at Magic Kingdom, a great day at Epcot, and a terrific evening at one of the most unique events in WDW that I had ever attended.

I went to bed that night with my heart warm and a huge smile on my face.

UP NEXT: OUR 1ST FULL DAY AT MAGIC KINGDOM

Last edited by cdotla; 01-01-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:42 PM   #57
HeatherinVT
Mouseketeer

Ahhh dont stop now? I was so looking forward to the next chapter!

Ok i guess i will check in on the adventures of mommy and daughter 2morrow
(my DD5 and I are going in April)
Old 12-30-2007, 10:49 PM   #58
verticalchaos
DIS Veteran

Those are great pics! I went by myself a few years ago and hung out with my sister, including Not-So-Scary. We got PRIME sport for the parade ~ it was going towards Liberty Square on that pass, so we were right against the rope where the bridge was...he rode straight at us. The only bummy part was that in putting film in my camera (before digital cameras were smaller and cheaper) I knocked one of the little shutter parts so it didn't work. I got it fixed at the camera center in EPCOT the next day, but I was so sad to have missed the parade picture chances.

I'm glad y'all had such a great time!!
Old 12-30-2007, 11:05 PM   #59
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

awww what great pictures!!! I loved with one with ur DD and cinderella/prince charming!!! The party looks so much fun. One of these days I will go to the MVMHP and MVMCP bc I think you miss out on so much when you go in the spring(except for the flower/garden show which is amazing) and summer which has nothing There are several P&PP's throughout the spring when I am down there, I think I might have to break down and pay the 40 bucks to go and see what all the hype is about!!
Old 12-30-2007, 11:20 PM   #60
SGMCO
Vintage Style is Sweet--Rumbleseat Fashions

This has been the cutiest Trip report that I've ever read.
I'm really enjoying it.
I only have a DS so it's so nice to see what it would
be like to take a DD to WDW and do girly things.
Your DD is a True Princes
I can't wait to read your next update!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: