Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2007, 05:18 PM   #1
Phedre
I only like to blink while the road is fully paved and bright!

Life's What you make it so let's make it Disney! F&WF-DDP-AKV- Pics- Update part 5

Hi! This is my very first trip report! :D

My family traveled Oct 31-Nov 6th and we had an awesome trip :D

I also did a pretrip report which you can find at This Link if you are interested :D

This part about the characters is copied straight from my pretrip because it was pretty detailed, however, more people showed up unexpectedly but I'll get to them as they arrive :D

Characters on my trip:
Me – I am 27 years old and did the College Program in 2000. When things are dirty or people are unfriendly, my first thought is always, “That’s not the Disney Way!” I’m still brainwashed. By day, I’m an analyst for a sub-prime mortgage lender (We aren’t really evil, just misunderstood!). I spend the rest of my time scrapbooking, reading, playing video games, thinking about Disney, singing Hannah Montana songs, or training for the 2008 Disney Half-Marathon. :D

DH – He is a 29 years old computer programmer. When we first met, he wasn’t into Disney, but I talked about it so much that he gave it a shot. A few trips later, he was more hooked than I was – a feat I didn’t believe was possible. He now knows more about Disney and WDW than I do, something he often proves by asking me trivia questions he knows the answers to and I don’t. When he learned about DVC, he thought I was crazy for never bringing it up with him before. So now we own 160 pts at AKV and this will be our first trip ‘home’ to use them

DM – My mother is a retired teacher who hates the way I dress, but otherwise likes me pretty well :D We call each other about 6 times a day, which for some people might be a little excessive, but for us works out just about right. :D She knows most everything about WDW and is always a huge part in the Disney trip planning. She helps make all the phone calls I can’t always make when I’m at work.

DF – My father is the executive director of a national technology park, which basically means I’m not really sure what he does, but I know he works hard and it’s a nifty title. We are planning to eat a lot so I feel a little badly for him because he’s not a foodie like the rest of my family, but not too badly because he’ll be in Disney World :D

The Parents - My mom and dad. DH's mom and dad aren't going to come into this story much.

My parents had both looked into DVC many times, starting in 1992 and leading all through this past year. They kept sitting in on the presentation and thinking carefully and running numbers and then deciding it wasn’t for them. It didn’t really go with the way we liked to travel. We often head down on very short notice and we enjoyed staying at the different resorts. Well, after DH and I bought in (without my DH ever having seen the presentation), we were invited to the grand opening of the new DVC store in the Woodfield Mall in Illinois. They allowed guests so I brought along my parents just because I knew they’d get a kick out of seeing it. That night was only supposed to be for current members but they were falling in love with what they heard and saw, so they ended up buying in that night!! They now own more points than we do, so I realized we clearly need an add-on. They are owners at AKV as well and I’m really happy about it. I can’t wait for our first ‘Welcome Home’ together. Okay, back to talking about the rest of the characters…

T – My little sister is 24 and is a medical technician. I think that is her title. I know her initials are MT because I like to make the stupid joke where I try to get her to point at her head and say the initials. I guess sometimes sisters never change. She works in a hospital, usually crazy overnight hours. This is hard for her because she usually is on a totally different sleep schedule and we make her change everything so we can tour the parks like commandos! It’s tough, but a girl’s got to do what a girl’s got to do.

I know I’ve read some posts on these boards about traveling with family and how they’ve made everything horrible, but this isn’t going to be one of those trips. I know this because this is the 3rd or 4th time we’ve all traveled together to WDW. My family does understand how to help everyone see and do everything that’s important to them on the trip. It does also help that we know if we miss something on this trip, we’ll just catch it next time. My family members are all some of the best people I know. They are so much fun to be with and I know this trip is going to be outstanding!

Extras Characters:
These are some people who will probably be showing up in my story, but maybe not. Sometimes plans change.

Gramma – She lives in Daytona Beach, which is only about 75 mins from Orlando. We often force her to come spend a day or 2 with us in the parks. She says she’s too old to be walking around WDW all day, so now we make her sit in a wheelchair and push her all around the parks. She says she doesn’t like it, but we keep trying to tell her she does. We like that she’s there, and that’s what counts She says she's not coming this year though so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens!

Aunt Shelley – My mother’s youngest sister is tons of fun to be around. She lives about an hour away from the parks also and has a brand new house so we are planning to spend half a day to go over and visit. It’s hard because even though this is the longest trip we are taking, there still won’t be enough time to do everything! But we love Shelley and want to see her house now that it’s done. I wish she’d come to the parks with us for a day or 2 also but it’s always really hard to coordinate.

Uncle Doug – Aunt Shelley’s boyfriend. He’s really fun and always uses silly phrases that crack me up, like if you ask if he liked something, he’ll say “More than a sharp stick in the eye” or amusing things like that. He’s not really big on crowds though and so we have to really fight to drag him to the parks. He is an air traffic controller and sometimes works horrible hours and crazy schedules so we don’t always get to see him as much as we would like to.

So this is the crew... at the time we left, there was still a lot of uncertainty even though we made lots of plans, but everything turned out just great! I can't wait to share the rest of my trip with you :D

Thanks for reading :D

82 off-site * Mar 86 CR * Apr 87 Poly * Dec 87 Poly * Mar 89 CBR * Dec 90 CBR * Mar 93 CBR * Mar 94 PO * Apr 95 ASMu * Nov 95 CBR * Mar 96 WL * Dec 97 CBR * Jan 00 off-site * Feb 00 All Stars * 2000 College Program * Mar 00 CSR * May 00 DI * Dec 00 off-site * July 02 BC Conc. * Nov 02 Poly Conc. * Mar 03 CBR * Aug 03 ASSports * Oct 03 CBR * Dec 03 CBR * Apr 04 off-site * Oct 04 Pop * May 05 FW Cabin * Oct 05 Poly * Jan 06 AKL * May 06 CR * Oct 06 POR * Oct 07 AKV (TR here) * Jan 08 AKV - 1/2 Marathon 3:08 (TR here)* May 08 BCV (DH's TR here) * Oct 08 AKV/OKW * Oct 09 BCV * May 10 AKV * Oct 10 DCL/BLT * Dec 10 AKV/OKW/CBR (yup, split stay 3 way, lol)* Feb 11 BWV * May 11 BLT * Oct 11 BCV * Jan 12 AKV *
***Next Up - May 12 SSR ***

Last edited by Phedre; 12-20-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
Sleeping*Beauty
Waiting For My Prince

Can't wait to hear about your trip!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-01-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
Phedre

10/31/07
The night before we left, I was up too late waiting for DH to come to bed. I was reading and didn’t pay enough attention to the time and suddenly it was past 11:30 pm. DH was playing video games and didn’t seem interested in sleeping so I went to sleep and left a light on for him. When he did finally come to bed after midnight, then he was fidgety and too excited to sleep (like the old Disney commerical), which woke me up again. I understand the excitement but I also understand that when the alarm is set for 3 am, I need to get some sleep!

It was still hours away from dawn when the alarm clock went off. DH and I just looked at each other and said, “Let’s go to Disney!!” and that was all it took for us to fly out of bed. Amazing what a little motivation will do for a person :D

We drove to my parents on a nearly empty highway, transferred our luggage into their SUV and squished into the back seat along with my little sister. We try to only take one vehicle to the airport to cut down on the parking costs.

Getting through check-in and security at Midway is a breeze if you are there around 5 am. It’s my favorite time to fly. We were first in line for the A section of Southwest, meaning we were going to get our favorite seats – the emergency exit row. Lots of extra leg room there.

We left my dad to hold on to our A spot and the rest of us went to the airport McDonald’s for our necessary Before Disney breakfast. I personally always order the grease and fat on a bagel, er, sorry, they call it a Bacon, Egg and Cheese Bagel… same difference really :D

T didn’t know what she wanted, but she knew she was supposed to order a Big Breakfast for my dad. While she stood there pondering what she wanted, and how much she wanted to eat before a flight, she asked, “The Big Breakfast is big, right?” Good to know that her brain went on vacation before we even left the airport :D

While waiting for our food, I decided I needed to write down her silly statement to mock in this trip report, so I took out my handy dandy notebook that I was bringing to jot down the important details.

“What’s that for?” T asked, looking suspicious.

“It’s my travel note book so when I go to write my trip report, I won’t forget anything,” I explained as I was hastily writing the first little story for the trip.

DH wanted to be helpful. “Put in your notebook – at 5:30 am on Halloween, T was cranky. Now all of Disboards will know.”

“I’m not cranky. You’re just stupid. Put THAT in your report!” T responded.

I just wrote “T cranky” :D

Southwest had recently changed the time of this earliest flight out to Orlando. They moved it up by about 20 minutes, which was a change I was really excited about and I hoped they would keep it around. I don’t mind getting up a little earlier if it means getting to the World a bit earlier too! I was hoping it would prove to be a popular time for the airline.

As we started to line up, the gate attendant told came over the speaker and told us that there was no need to rush. There would only be 27 people on the flight so we could all have our own row to spread out as much as we would like. So much for hoping this flight time would be popular :P

Since it was Halloween, several SW workers were wearing costumes and they had some decorations up. As we boarded the flight, T pointed out a big sticker they had put on the plane that was a tombstone with a big R.I.P on it. Not exactly encouraging to see as you are getting on a flight :P

The fight turned out to be very neat this way. My family did take the emergency exit rows on both sides for the leg room, and then T took her own row behind the parents to grab another couple hours of sleep. I usually am too excited to sleep down to Orlando, but I think I’m getting old(er) and my eyeballs were burning as I tried to play Lumines on the PSP so I gave up and slept a bit too.

I felt a little bad for Southwest on this flight. T and I were both flying free on frequent flyer points. DH had a ding fare around 69 dollars and I’m sure the parents didn’t spend more than 80 dollars each. I don’t think they made enough money from this flight to pay the flight attendants, much less the gasoline, pilots and everything else.

We landed in Orlando at 9:45 am. Whooo for the earlier flight! I’ve barely started my normal workday by 9:45 and here we were getting ready to start the trip! We were packed up into the rental car and on the road to WDW with very little trouble. (Mom- “The parking break is on. You have to take it off.” Dad-“Okay.” Clunk! The hood of the car popped open instead.) We were out of the airport parking lot by 10:25 am.

Put THAT in your report. :D

Here are some photos as we were pulling up to WDW. It looked a little stormy...

And we ran into a few drops of rain as we were pulling into the gates..

Our fingers are crossed for sunnier weather coming up soon....

82 off-site * Mar 86 CR * Apr 87 Poly * Dec 87 Poly * Mar 89 CBR * Dec 90 CBR * Mar 93 CBR * Mar 94 PO * Apr 95 ASMu * Nov 95 CBR * Mar 96 WL * Dec 97 CBR * Jan 00 off-site * Feb 00 All Stars * 2000 College Program * Mar 00 CSR * May 00 DI * Dec 00 off-site * July 02 BC Conc. * Nov 02 Poly Conc. * Mar 03 CBR * Aug 03 ASSports * Oct 03 CBR * Dec 03 CBR * Apr 04 off-site * Oct 04 Pop * May 05 FW Cabin * Oct 05 Poly * Jan 06 AKL * May 06 CR * Oct 06 POR * Oct 07 AKV (TR here) * Jan 08 AKV - 1/2 Marathon 3:08 (TR here)* May 08 BCV (DH's TR here) * Oct 08 AKV/OKW * Oct 09 BCV * May 10 AKV * Oct 10 DCL/BLT * Dec 10 AKV/OKW/CBR (yup, split stay 3 way, lol)* Feb 11 BWV * May 11 BLT * Oct 11 BCV * Jan 12 AKV *
Old 12-01-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
Hedy
I'm 22 27 and I still kind of stammer
If you're old enough to hold a job, you're old enough to not burn popcorn

That tombstone would give me the willies.
4/93-Dixie Landings*12/96-Dixie Landings*2/02-POR*DLR-8/05-Royal Stovall's Inn*3/06-POR*12/07-POFQ**8/08-POP/Dolphin*10/09-POFQSwan 12/10*Podcast cruise 12/10*AKV 8/11*AoA 1/13*AoA 4/13 Universal: 7/08 HRH, 7/09 RPR, 8/10 RPR
*A vegetarian and pescetarian do Disney dining 12/07*Hedy and the Carnivores 08/08*Hedy and Lexie Rock Vegas 12/08*
'Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten

Old 12-01-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
Phedre

10/31/07 part 2!

Cast recap
Me- 27 yr old ex-College Program Disney loving girl
DH - 29 yr old computer programmer and newly a Disney loving guy
T - 24 yr old, my little sister, in the medical field, loves Tinkerbell
Dad - My dad, likes to try new wines. Doesn't like to try new foods.
Mom - My mom, likes to try new wines and foods. Also likes for me to try not to bite my nails

The plan: Park at Beach Club and let the parent’s check in. If their room is ready, great, we’ll drop off bags and head into Epcot. If their room isn’t ready, great, we’ll leave the bags with bell services and head into Epcot. That’s the true definition of a win-win situation.

Check-in went quickly. Oddly enough, there wasn’t really a line before 11 in the morning. I had remembered to bring my new DSLR camera out of the car and I was taking some practice photos with it while the family was at the front desk. It still has a lot more features than I can dream of knowing how to use intelligently.

Then I saw Art the greeter and realized what I hadn’t remembered to bring out of the car before it was parked – My lanyard with all of my pins! Art always has fantastic pins so I was bummed I forgot mine to trade but I knew I’d get to do it eventually. After all, I had the whole trip in front of me still!

The parents’ room was actually ready and was down on the Epcot side of the building, exactly as my mother requested so we took the luggage and headed down. I was dancing with happiness as we started walking and someone behind the concierge desk saw me and started dancing around too. Contagious magic!

We wasted no time in the hotel room and left for Epcot. The parents’ room was the absolutely end-most room in the hallway so it really wasn’t possible to get a room much closer to Epcot without them making a room at the International Gateway. We stopped to buy our AP’s at the IG. The CM helping us was the sweetest but so incredibly slow. She was just really chatty and nice but I thought the people behind us in line were ready to kill us for taking so long. I definitely felt the Disney magic from her, but the people behind us seemed like they were having a rough start to their morning.

I couldn’t feel too badly, because the parents had taken the other window to get their tickets and it was about equally as slow so I don’t think it was just our fault. Apparently in their line, the CM let them use their DVC discount even though they had already bought AP vouchers so they actually ended up getting money back with their tickets. Not a shabby way to start the day!

After the longest ticket buying experience ever, we entered Epcot!!

Where it immediately began to rain.

It didn’t last very long though and we just ignored it anyways. We just walked to France and started tasting. Here's how the sky was looking around WS.

I’m going to try not to talk too much about the food, because my DH, Girt25, is going to be writing a food report. But the tasties were good. World Showcase was practically empty, which was a fantastic experience. No one wants to be fighting crowds just to get a tiny morsel of food. We enjoyed our little samplings all the way to Australia when we decided it was time for some
food and wine seminars.

My dad saw the funnel cakes as we passed by the American pavilion so of course, we had to stop and share one. So much interesting food around WS and we stop for the fried dessert with a slab of ice cream on top :P

As we walked, I tried to get more experience in with my new camera. I was hoping to find some pretty shots, some interesting ways to look at things I had seen before, and have some fun with depth of field and making water look smooth, and other stuffs like that

This butterfly was nice enough to stop near by for me for a shot

I tried to use what I had learned in photography class about framing a photo with this shot of Morocco.

We walked all the way to the other end of the WS until we reached the Odyssey. The food seminar at this time said TBD on it so we had to visit the Odyssey building to even find out what it was. It was a chef from ‘Ohana doing bread pudding! YUM. However, there seemed to be too many people in line already so we had to scratch that idea after getting all excited for it. We moved on to the wine seminar.

The wine seminars this year were held in the old Wonders of Life pavilion. Hurray for waiting in the air conditioning without the sun beating down on your head! Here is a lousy photo of the map for inside the pavilion.

We got in for the King Estate winery seminar. It was fine, but definitely nothing earth shattering. I tried really hard to take a photo with interesting depth of field with the wine glasses and the Disney cup, but I had apparently forgot everything I learned about my dslr and couldn’t make it work. Dang...

No..this isn't working...

Drat... gah I am terrible at this

The tasting glasses were Riedel this year. That was a nice touch. I am much too big of wine snob to drink out of something not-Riedel. Just Kidding… I’ll take wine in whatever form they serve it in.

In the festival shop, I was finally able to take one interesting depth of field photo... FINALLY :D These are the Mickey wine bottle stoppers.

While we were in line for the seminar, a CM named Jeff walked up to us. "Hey! You guys are from Chicago, right?"

It was the CM who led my family through the Doorway to Dreams DVC preview of the store!! He worked in Orlando but was up in Chicago specially for the opening. He remembered DH and I from our excitement at seeing our new home for the first time, even if it was just in a mall. He was working the DVC booth near the festival center and had wanted to stop by to say welcome home now that we were finally in WDW! How sweet!!

Outside of the festival center, there was a waterfall for me to try to do the smooth water look...

No...

Erg.. Not even close...

Woot! There it is!

Here's leaving the festival center.. Notice the nifty framing again...

We left Epcot so that DH and I could check into AKV at 4:00. This was one of the parts of the trip I was a bit apprehensive about. I had a feeling that when the security guy said “Welcome Home” to us for the first time, I was going to lose it and start sobbing like a baby. Well, I didn’t need to have worried, since the guy didn’t say it at all. Neither did the valet parking guys. We soon found out why the phrase was missing outside. Inside the lodge, they were using it left and right to everyone and everybody. They were using the ‘welcome home’ phrase instead of normal phrases like ‘Hello’, ‘Next in line down here, please’ and ‘The bathroom is down the hall and on the left’. Oh well. At least I didn’t have the big sob scene I was afraid of.

(I did cry the first time a Dis’er welcomed us home on the boards when we posted that we bought in to AKV, and also after DVC called to let us know they received our paper work and said it. It’s such a dumb little phrase, but dang it, it DOES feel like home at WDW to me. It’s neat that they recognize that we love it so much that it is our home.)

Here's security as you pull into AKV

Again, if the room wasn’t going to be ready we weren’t going to stress about it, but we were in luck and our room was waiting for us! We were in the last possible room on the 5th floor of Zebra Trail overlooking the Arusha Savannah. It was Perfect!!

Here's the view from the room..

Here’s where I have something embarrassing to admit. DH and I bought into AKV before the rooms were open to make reservations. The day the reservations started, DH and I each took a phone line and started calling 5 minutes before mouse services opened. We then ended up in a huge hold queue. We had to call in sick to work that day because by the time we needed to leave for work, we were still on hold to make our reservation and couldn’t go anywhere. So obviously booking the room was a big deal and I should have remembered all the details about it.

Well, some how I forgot we booked a savannah view room. I swear I remember the conversation where we decided that since it was just us and we don’t have kids or anything, we’d just take the cheapest view and who cares because we’ll have a great trip no matter if we are looking at a parking lot or a dumpster or whatever. Because of this, I told my mom not to bother packing binoculars to see animals from our room, and also when I got low on packing space, I decided against taking the cute, little tripod my mom had specifically gone out of her way to find for me. I figured I wouldn’t lug it around too much and since I wouldn’t have a view from my room, I probably wouldn’t use it.

At some point in the car ride to the airport, my mother made the comment that I was going to wish we had a savannah view when we finally got to the hotel and she thought I had made a wrong choice in going with the cheapo view. That’s when DH, who does have a long term memory of some sort, pointed out that we DID in fact have a savannah view room. Whoops.

So to make a long story short (too late, I know) I wasn’t prepared for our awesome view. But it’s okay really because I’ve got 50 years in the AKV contract and something tells me those giraffes aren’t really going anywhere.

We spent a little bit of time enjoying our beautiful room and then it was time to head back to BC. DH and I aren’t hotel-unpackers. We prefer to live out of suitcases, so it didn’t take long to get settled into the room. Because of this, I didn’t bother opening any cabinets or drawers and I didn’t find several things I would have liked to have used until the end of the trip. The last day in the room, I nervously tugged at the door in the room that I thought led to an adjoining room but it actually turned out to be a closet.

Next up - back to BC to meet up with the rest of the family again for our first DDP meal! :D

Old 12-01-2007, 10:07 PM   #6
Phedre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping*Beauty View Post
Can't wait to hear about your trip!!
Thanks!! I can't wait to write about it, LOL... it's a good way to relive it and I love taking little 'vacations' as I read through other's reports so I hope someone can enjoy mine in the same way :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
That tombstone would give me the willies.
Seriously!! They should have given that decoration a little more thought, I think, hehehe...

Old 12-03-2007, 09:50 AM   #7
girt25
Mouseketeer

This is why you get to write the trip report. I had no idea half those things happened. This is like being on the trip all over again, except now I get to see all the things I missed the first time.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:57 PM   #8
Phedre

Cast recap
Mom - My mom, likes to try new wines and foods. Also likes for me to try not to bite my nails

10/31/07
part 3

Pulling into BC, we switched to the parents’ parking pass so we could get through the security gate without a hassle, but then immediately switched over to the AKV parking pass so we could valet for free. I think what we did was okay ethically. We were allowed valet at DVC resorts… and the parents were allowed to park there because they were staying in the room. Well, it makes sense in my head at least.

Tonight would be the first use of the DDP. My parents and T were on the plan. DH and I were not. We were hoping it wouldn’t be a problem if they wanted to let us have tastes of desserts or appetizers or anything like that, but I was a bit nervous. I did not want to be escorted out of the parks by Disney security for having an unauthorized bite of corn chowder or something.

Again, I’m going to try not to go into too much detail because of DH’s food report. We were eating at San Angel Inn, which is inside of the Mexico pavilion. I know that this place gets some iffy reviews but I’ve always had a perfectly nice time there and I do really enjoy the atmosphere. I extra enjoy margaritas and flan.

Ordering with the DDP was fun and we ended up with so much food to try. We had a lot of family discussion at this point because my mother really wanted everyone to order something different so we could taste as much as possible, but some people wanted the same thing as others, so in the end, we decided to order what you want and if we all get the same thing, then oh well. At least everyone could have what they wanted!

The waitress did not call over Disney security when appetizers were passed around for tastes, so I was really relieved. Even though she did 2 checks for the table, one for the DDP’ers and one for DH and me, when the parents handed over their DDE card, she took it off of both checks. Very nice of her!

Here's some pics while we wait for gurt's food review... Somehow I didn't get pics of the Margaritas.. sorry I got the Margarita San Angel Inn... which I thought was about perfect. Very nice and limey. My parents asked for a margarita with better quality alcohol.. Theirs was fine too but I actually like mine better. Theirs was too smooth and I prefer some of that limey-tequila bite to it :D

Appetizers:
Corn Chowder

Sopa Azteca

Sope Tradicional

Entrees:
Puntas De Filete

We believe this was a special that my mother got but we need to check notes with her and find out for sure.

Filete Motuleno

Plato Mexicano

Desserts:
Capirotada de Chocolate Blanco

Flan de Vanilla

Overall, the meal was fine. All of the food was tasty, the service was friendly and the atmosphere was lovely as always. But this was by far the worst meal of our trip. Nothing wrong with it, just everything else on the trip was SO GOOD.

After dinner, we jumped on the new Mexico boat ride. I guess I don’t have a lot to say about it. It’s there. I wasn’t really impressed, but it’s fine. Not really a lot different from the old ride. The CM there was cute though. He was talking to my mother in Spanish, and she told him she didn’t know Spanish because she had taken French in school. So as he was sending our boat off, he called out, Bon Voyage!

T had read online about a place to do email postcards and she wanted to stop and send one to her fiancé. These postcards were hysterical. They record you making silly faces or whatever for a few seconds and then put it on the head of something animated or a clip of something else going on. They were so funny that I had to make one too but I only just sent it to myself. I thought briefly about sending it to co-workers to rub it in that I was having a great vacation, but we recently just changed email addresses at work and I was a little nervous that my odd postcard would go astray, and it didn’t seem like something I really wanted to end up in the wrong hands.

Jon Secada was performing that night at the American Pavilion in the Eat to the Beat concert series and my mother was interested in going to see him, even though she didn’t know any of his songs. Every time we go see a performer there, I’ve never heard of them but then it turns out they’ve done some songs I know and I have a good time so we all went along with her.

As we walked to the American Pavilion, we had to pause for a moment because the bridge was up as they moved the big ball barge for Illuminations out into the WS Lagoon.

Here's the stage before the show started

This performance totally reminded me of the movie Music and Lyrics with Hugh Grant playing the old rock star. There was a bunch of huge fans in the front rows and Jon Secada did a great job playing it up for them, posing for lots of photos, pointing at them as he sang. He made me wish I was a fan, but I didn’t really know any of his songs. He had a great voice though.

In the middle of his performance, he mentioned that he had an X-mas CD coming out this season and it was going to be unlike anything people had heard before for the holidays. At first we were kinda snickering about that, because it doesn’t really seem like a compliment. Like when someone comes in with a heinous new haircut and their coworkers tell them it’s unique. But then he sang one of the songs off of it and it was actually really nice. I’m thinking about getting the CD if I see it in stores, lol.

After Jon, we had a nice mosey through WS until it was time for Illuminations. Some how we always end up watching from the same location – the bridge by IG. Mom wanted to try somewhere different so we ended up on this little walkway right by the water, kinda under the bridge by IG. Well, we tried for something new, haha.

I’ve seen a lot of great photos from people with Disney fireworks shows but I had already decided before the trip that I wasn’t going to try to get any of my own. It’d be too hard for my teeny tiny photographer skills. Well, that was my stance at the beginning of the trip at least and I didn’t take any pics of Illuminations.

We stopped off at the parents’ room on the way out because Mom said she had a present for us. In the room, she gave DH and I both black Halloween gift bags that were filled with sodas, candies, chips, cakes and a super cute battery-powered light-up Jack-o-Lantern. Mom said she wanted us to have fun treats in the room for Halloween and we shouldn’t have given her a hard time about how heavy her suitcases were since it was all this stuff she was bringing down for us. T had gotten one of the bags also so she wasn’t left out. It was an awesome surprise, but the only bad side was that between DDP and Food and Wine fest, we were usually so full we didn’t need to snack on much. But it was still a great treat to have in the room.

DH and I took our bags and headed back to AKV where we explored around the hotel a bit but we were both pretty tired so we didn’t stay out too long before heading back to the room. On the way down our hallway on the 5th floor, we noticed it really seemed to that New Hotel Room smell, which is somewhat similar to the New Car Smell, but better because it was our new home.

We crashed pretty early that night because it had been a long, fun day since the alarm clock had gone off at 3 am. I was, however, still worried about what would happen in upcoming days with my grandmother visiting. Because of the tropical storm in the area, my Aunt Liz was now thinking she didn’t want to spend time in Orlando after all. This meant that my Gramma had no way to get to Orlando on the right day, but we already had a non-refundable ticket for her to Party for the Senses. She could come the day earlier with my Uncle Glen, but then she would have to pay for an extra day of parks, plus we were doing the Lunch with an Imagineer and we weren’t sure if there we could get her in for it, or even if she would want to pay the extra money for it. Also, then she wouldn’t have her own car here and we weren’t sure how she would get home. Ahh… family… I knew I was afraid of it becoming one of ‘those trips’ for a reason….

Old 12-04-2007, 08:19 PM   #9
Hedy
I'm 22 27 and I still kind of stammer
If you're old enough to hold a job, you're old enough to not burn popcorn

Do you have the link to DH's food report?
4/93-Dixie Landings*12/96-Dixie Landings*2/02-POR*DLR-8/05-Royal Stovall's Inn*3/06-POR*12/07-POFQ**8/08-POP/Dolphin*10/09-POFQSwan 12/10*Podcast cruise 12/10*AKV 8/11*AoA 1/13*AoA 4/13 Universal: 7/08 HRH, 7/09 RPR, 8/10 RPR
*A vegetarian and pescetarian do Disney dining 12/07*Hedy and the Carnivores 08/08*Hedy and Lexie Rock Vegas 12/08*
'Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten

Old 12-04-2007, 09:46 PM   #10
Ricky's Girl
DIS Veteran

It's so nice to read a trip report about a family that gets along so well and obviously loves one another! How sweet of your mom to make the goodie bags for you.

I'm really enjoying your report and I think your photos are excellent!

As for the Halloween sign on the plane . . . I would have been on the next BUS to Disney!

My next house will have no kitchen - just Vending machines and a large trash can.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:59 AM   #11
girt25
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'm (choose one)
a) busy
b) lazy
c) procrastinaty
d) b and c

and haven't done it yet.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:17 PM   #12
Phedre

Quote:
Not yet... *pokes DH.... Poke Poke!* Come on, slow poke! I want to read about food :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky's Girl View Post
It's so nice to read a trip report about a family that gets along so well and obviously loves one another! How sweet of your mom to make the goodie bags for you.

I'm really enjoying your report and I think your photos are excellent!

As for the Halloween sign on the plane . . . I would have been on the next BUS to Disney!
Thanks for the photo compliment! It's really not me, it's the camera, it just does good things on it's own, because when I actually try to do things it comes out all funky. Maybe one day I'll understand ISO and f-stops... :D

I totally agree about the tombstone on the plane... I think I was just too sleepy at the time to panic properly. I hope they removed the tombstone promptly at the end of Halloween. Can you imagine if they forgot and then let people board the plane the next day? That would be -extra- scary, lol :D At least on Halloween there was kinda a reason :D

Old 12-05-2007, 08:44 PM   #13
Phedre

Cast recap

Part 4-
11/1/2007
We had set the wake-up call for 6:45 the next morning so we could hit EMH at MK. When the phone rang, my sleepy husband was closest to it so I nudged him until he answered it. Instead of picking it up and then hanging it right up, like turning off an alarm clock, he instead put the receiver to his head and started yelling, “Hello! HELLO???” into the phone. At first I thought he was just being silly but after lots of yelling I finally realized he was still mostly asleep and was really trying to answer the wake-up call. It was all pretty funny to me. I was a little bummed though because the wake-up call wasn’t Mickey or Stitch talking, just music. I hoped that it was a glitch and not because we were in DVC now. I still want to have Mickey wake me up!

DH gets ready much faster than I do so I get dibs on the shower first. I really liked the shower here because it sprayed the water with just the right force. Also, the shower bar was curved out from the shower so it gave the feeling of having a huge, luxurious shower. I just had a few little bitty complaints about the bathroom. One was that when you turn on the light switch, the fan automatically comes on with it. The fan was really pretty quiet as far as bathroom fans go but I’m a bit noise-sensitive and I just didn’t like it. The other complaint is that the door to the bathroom is so big and the room is so small that unless I squished up against the tub, I couldn’t get in and out of the room. It was a little awkward, but it wasn’t a deal breaker or anything. The towels in the room were big and soft, but since we weren’t getting any maid service until our trash and towel day, I wasn’t really sure what to do with the towels to let them dry and stay useable.

I thought there was supposed to be a hair dryer in the room but I didn’t see one and so I figured I was mistaken. I wasn’t going to die going out in Florida with a wet head so I didn’t worry about it too much. We couldn’t really get water cold enough to drink from the bathroom sink, but later we realized the kitchen sink water came out much colder.

When we were about ready to leave the room, DH called valet for the car to be brought up for us. The car was waiting patiently for us after we walked all the way down the long Zebra Trail hallway. It was such an awesome feeling to have people taking care of that for us. I felt so spoiled :D

We picked up the parents and T and headed on to MK. On purpose, we had timed our arrival to MK after the start of the EMH but before the parks opened to the public. We had no lines, no crowds, no hassle. While other families were running in and sprinting towards one of the Mountain rides, we sauntered into the Main Street Bakery for breakfast.

The decorations were still up for the last MNSSHP. There seemed to be more than I remember seeing before.

Ahh.. on to breakfast...

I am not a breakfast person. I like to eat in the mornings, but I really dislike breakfast foods. I always want something delicious in the morning and places only want to serve crappy things like pastries, cereal, pancakes, waffles, ect. Basically, for breakfast I would like Lunch, just served at 8 am. But this year I was excited because I had looked up the menu on Debs All Ears and I found something I actually DID want to eat! It was shocking. I wanted the tomato and mozzarella sandwich. I was totally looking forward to it. For the first time ever, I would not pout through breakfast because other people were eating things they liked and I was sitting there hungry. I was going to eat something!

Well, we get in line and I’m brimming with excitement for food in the morning. But when I get up there, I see the sign says that the sandwich is over 7 dollars! I understand Disney pricing and all but I’m very cheap at heart and none of the other items that my family was getting were even close to that amount. I just could not justify spending that much money on a sandwich for breakfast when I didn’t even know if I would like it.

I kinda mumbled something about them not having the food I was expecting and that I didn’t want anything and I got out of line. DH got the breakfast croissant sandwich with egg on the inside. There was a good bit of confusion in the lines about how the DDP worked, from both the guests and the CMs, which is never a good sign, so it took a while to get out of there. We sat outside in front of the Plaza Restaurant where they have the tables set up. The family wanted to go down to the tables by the water but we’ve made this mistake before because it’s actually a smoking area down there. Not pleasant for breakfast.

The family ate and I did my usual pouty bit because they all are happy and I’m not. DH kept trying to feed me bits of his sandwich but I didn’t want the croissant part and I felt bad eating just the eggs because that wouldn’t leave him with any delicious eggs, just the crappy croissant. I couldn’t do that to my DH. I wanted him to enjoy his breakfast!

DH was mostly done with his food and offered me one of the last bites. I daintily ate around the croissant, careful not to accidentally eat any icky pastry and DH watched me closely.

DH: “You seem to be eating around the croissant like you don’t like it.”
Me: “I don’t like it. It’s a pastry. I just don’t want to eat all the yummy egg. I want you to get enough.”
DH: “I don’t like the egg part. I only get it for the croissant.”
Me: “So we could have gotten just one meal and shared it and both of us could have been happy with the part we got?”
DH: “Looks that way.”

We were guilty of being too nice to each other. I wanted to make sure he got some of the part I felt was good, which was the egg. He wanted to make sure I got some of the part he felt was good, the croissant. But we had completely opposite tastes :P We decided our lesson was learned and we would have much happier, less pouty breakfasts from now on.

As we were getting up from breakfast, T noticed the carved jack-o-lanterns over the ice cream shop were actually carved so they had ice cream cones on them. How cute!

Then we all started looking for more carved pumpkins. The ones on Caseys had a hot dog and fries. The ones by the bathrooms the front of the park actually had the bathroom symbols on them. They were all such a nice little special touch. Decorative and informative!

My only requirements for MK were to hit the new things in the park since I had visited last: Haunted Mansion (for the recent refurb) and Monsters Inc Laugh Floor. We wanted to be sure and do the Laugh Floor with a full crowd in the park for maximum laughs, so we started the day with Haunted Mansion. I tried to stop for another photo with interesting depth perception of the mansion and the gate, but it didn’t come out like I wanted either. Gah, why had I forgotten everything from the camera classes when I entered the park?

The changes in HM are nice. Really helps spruce up the area where there were just 3 sad spiders hanging out in the dark. Everything was nice and spooky and I can’t wait to do it again and see what else I might have missed the first time around.

Since we were in the area (sort of) and everyone in my family enjoys Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, we went there next. I only like this ride if I’m in one of the last cars, so I always ask the CM if we can wait for the very last car. I don’t mind waiting a little longer for the experience that I prefer. The CM said no problem, just go wait for it and we walked to the end of the train line.

Here’s where things got a little odd. Not really like a bad CM situation, just kinda odd. I think it’s really my fault and I probably should have handled it better but there was some confusion on all ends.

It worked out that the train in front of us had just 1 person who was also waiting for the back car. So the car looked like it had tons of space, but we could not have gotten in because there were 5 of us wanting to ride together in the backmost seats. A CM comes up and starts .. not yelling… but talking very loudly saying for us to get in the car too, which would have been not possible because of the one person who was back there. We all wouldn’t have fit in without some liposuction and perhaps the removal of an arm or two. So I tell the CM we are waiting for the back seats. While this is going on, a row of young teen aged kids has filed in behind her, all holding very full cups of water. The CM says fine, but all these kids are going to ride with us and they will have cups of water, and we are going to get very, very wet.

Well I don’t really want that either, to be honest :P

I really wouldn’t have minded if our family let all of the kids go ahead of us (it looked like they had a whole train’s worth of the kids with water) but it was kinda loud and weird and I didn’t know how to explain very well so I just said in this really whiny voice… "The other CM said we could wait for the last car and all go together!" The CM kinda rolled her eyes and said "FINE" and had all the kids move so that they could fill the next train with other guests and then the kids would go after us.

We got to ride and had a lot of fun and no problems after that. This story is somewhat pointless because there weren’t any real problems, but I still think back on it and wished I handled it differently. I didn’t mean to make things more difficult for the CM or the other kids waiting to do their water experiment.

I do wonder how wet those kids ended up though, lol.

After the wildest ride in the wilderness, we decided the park should be full enough to do Monsters Inc Laugh Floor. It looked like they were about do the first show and we were the first in line, so we had good timing. While we were waiting, I noticed something only because I read so much on here about wheelchairs and abuse of the system to try to get front of the line and stuff like that. We saw a group walk up with a wheelchair and the CM asked how many in their party. The group said 6 and the CM led them in first to wherever they were supposed to have the special seating. However, we counted at least 9 people walk in after them. The family looked like English might not have been their first language so we don’t know if they didn’t know how to say the number they wanted, or if people just snuck in thinking they would get better seats. Either way, it made me giggle.

As we were sitting down, my dad realized he was going to be in the aisle seat. He has a problem where he is picked for every show where an audience member’s contribution is needed. He knew this show had some participation so he quickly begged for my mother to switch spots with him so he could hide on the inside.

The show starts and it is very cute but in my opinion, Very loud. I had meant to bring ear plugs on this trip for attractions and fireworks and managed to leave them in the car back home, but even if I had them, I wouldn’t have realized I would need them in this attraction until we were in it and it was too late. I really felt like the volume could have gone down a lot and been much more enjoyable :D

I don’t want to ruin the show too much for anyone who hasn’t already seen it, so if you haven’t maybe scroll down a little and skip this part. If you have seen it, we got to the part in the show with the monster who is learning to be funny by listening to a tape. It requires someone in the audience to participate, so of course, a big spot light shines down on….. you guessed it, my dad who had specifically picked that seat so he wouldn’t be chosen! A CM flew out of the woodwork to hold a microphone in front of my dad. The other people who participated so far really didn’t have to do much other than sit there, make faces, ect. My lucky dad was going to have to speak! Poor guy! I thought my mom and sister were going to fall off their seats they were laughing so hard at the whole thing.

I don’t know if we’ll ever get Dad back to Monsters Inc again, hehehe.

After leaving the show and laughing more at my dad’s bad luck, I remembered I wanted to try a pretzel from the Lunching Pad that I read on the Disboards was tasty. It was a cream cheese pretzel and my first bite had hardly any cream cheese in it so I was pretty disappointed with it. However, by the time I finished it, I was sorry to be done. It really grew on me and I’d probably get it again if I was hungry and in the area. Maybe next time my family goes to the bakery, I could run there and get it instead.

It was getting closer to 11:00 am, which meant the booths would be opening at the F&WF, so it was time to leave MK. We fought against the stream of traffic coming into the park to get to the one little exit turnstile. We were the only ones leaving at this early hour and it really was a struggle at times to leave. But food and wine were beckoning to us so we were able to make it successfully to the monorails.

Did we get more delicious tasties? Did we ever find an informative wine seminar? Stay tuned... :D

Last edited by Phedre; 12-05-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:35 PM   #14
Ricky's Girl
DIS Veteran

Loved your update. The MK is my favorite park. The photos from MNSSHP were great. It did seem to be decorated more this year. I'll have to be more observant next time and look for the different carvings on the pumpkins. Hope you find something yummy to eat (and drink) at EPCOT.

My next house will have no kitchen - just Vending machines and a large trash can.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #15
Starwater
“There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island.” - Walt Disney

Good TR so far! I'm subscribing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: