Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2007, 09:54 PM   #436
krbq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall6363 View Post
Hi,

Staying at the GF in November. Trying to get any information about the DSA smoking areas there. There seems to be less at this resort than some of the others. Has anyone stayed there since the new policy has gone into effect, any information would be helpful, as I am smoker and would like to request a room close to a DSA.

Also I notice they have a DSA on the third floor of the main building which looks like it might be a balcony area, is this DSA for all guests or just the conceirge guest in that main building, because I believe you have to have a special room key that gets you up to that level.

Thanks Wall
We'll be staying at the GF 10/22-29 so I'll post what I find out about the DSA's during our stay there. I'm pretty sure the DSA on the 3rd floor of the main building would be for concierge guests only.
krbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:06 AM   #437
Piglet's Momma
Mouseketeer

To anyone who's stayed in the Poly: we're checking in 11/25, and would like to be placed as near as possible to a DSA. How hard/easy has it been to have your request honored? I'm pretty worried about having to make a trek; I have tendonitis in my left foot, bursitis in my left knee, and walking around the parks is going to be stressful enough (I know, I know, I probably shouldn't be walking around that much, but this is our last big family trip before our older daughter goes off to college).

Any buildings "better" for smokers and DSAs than others? I see that abaldacci said that the rules weren't really enforced at all at the Poly, but I'd rather adhere to the rules.

Thanks so much!
Piglet's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #438
abaldacci
DIS Veteran
I can smell rain coming
i would have been the black sheep because i was ALWAYS GETTING IN TROUBLE AND DOING EXACTLY what mom told me not to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet's Momma View Post
To anyone who's stayed in the Poly: we're checking in 11/25, and would like to be placed as near as possible to a DSA. How hard/easy has it been to have your request honored? I'm pretty worried about having to make a trek; I have tendonitis in my left foot, bursitis in my left knee, and walking around the parks is going to be stressful enough (I know, I know, I probably shouldn't be walking around that much, but this is our last big family trip before our older daughter goes off to college).

Any buildings "better" for smokers and DSAs than others? I see that abaldacci said that the rules weren't really enforced at all at the Poly, but I'd rather adhere to the rules.

Thanks so much!
just ask to make sure when checking in that you're near a DSA and It is not to bad of a walk. I think they are tring to get people next to DSA if requested.
Today is a gift that is why it's called the PRESENT
[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/w5nk0gj9t1pj7mnd.png[/img]
abaldacci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:19 AM   #439
misscues
only new here

Post Just returned from CBeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaldacci View Post
I just returned from the poly where the smoking rules were not inforced at all and people smoked where every they wanted one man was smoking on a park bench waiting for the bus with tons of people around. I think that is terrible but I follow the rules and did not like walking out to a DSA to smoke so I will stay somewhere that I can smoke in my room.
Same here. We just returned from CBeach and while several didn't seem to follow the DSA rule, they did seem to be considerate when breaking that rule and most of this was during the very early hours while most were in bed.

The DSA's at CB, Jamaica building 44, were okay (I guess). What I don't understand is the DSA for our unit is in a courtyard with 20+ rooms opening up right to it, so if there were non smokers in those, they were getting the overflow. We did have two picnic tables and two benches...all with umbrella's. FYI...The rooms around the courtyard would be ideal for smokers though...request ground floor, from 4407 to 4416 to be just a few steps out your door. I have a pix and will try to upload asap.

DSA's by the main building were on the patio by the bar, tables with umbrella's, and close to the pool but you still would have trouble keeping an eye on the kids if you wanted a smoke there. This also makes everyone walk through the smoke on the way in or out of the food court. (Sorry to those non smokers who must walk through, I was only following the rules).

There are NO DSA's at ANY pool ...so you can't take the kids swimming and step back to watch and smoke. You will have to leave sight of them and that is not an option in my book.

Final thoughts...I too agree with the number of free standing buildings in the resorts that Disney could have kept one smoking at each resort or ... make one entire resort smoking in each price range or just one resort... or something. Walking to the DSA's was not that bad at CB but I spent less time with my family , was made to feel as if I were doing something wrong , and felt inconvenienced most all my stay this year. After we checked out, we did a tour of a couple of off-site hotels and resorts that welcome smokers and will most likely stay off-site if we go back to DW .
* 9/1985 Ho Jo's maingate * 2/2001 Westgate Lakes wonderful! DD 5th * 10/2003 PORiverside * 12/2004 CBeach * 10/2005 PORiverside Magnolia side * 10/2006 Sea World, Universal @ Double Tree * party 02/2007 Contemporary * DSA 10/2007 CBeach *
* 10/2008 Sheraton Vistana *

Last edited by misscues; 10-24-2007 at 07:22 AM. Reason: correction
misscues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:30 PM   #440
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscues View Post

Final thoughts...I too agree with the number of free standing buildings in the resorts that Disney could have kept one smoking at each resort or ... make one entire resort smoking in each price range or just one resort... or something. Walking to the DSA's was not that bad at CB but I spent less time with my family , was made to feel as if I were doing something wrong , and felt inconvenienced most all my stay this year. After we checked out, we did a tour of a couple of off-site hotels and resorts that welcome smokers and will most likely stay off-site if we go back to DW .
I agree that Disney should have dedicated a building or wing to smokers in each resort. It is just not fair to ask people to leave their families to walk somewhere to smoke - as if it is some sort of crime! And putting DSA's right where everyone must walk through is crazy - smokers certainly would not want their families walking through the smoke any more than non-smokers.

What was Disney thinkin'???? I am a non-smoker, but have had familiy members who are smokers and I truly feel for all smokers, most especially for those who are trying so hard to follow the new "rules".

Maybe in time Disney will see the error in these decisions anad make some changes.

Minnie&Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #441
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaciBecky View Post
I agree that Disney should have dedicated a building or wing to smokers in each resort. It is just not fair to ask people to leave their families to walk somewhere to smoke - as if it is some sort of crime! And putting DSA's right where everyone must walk through is crazy - smokers certainly would not want their families walking through the smoke any more than non-smokers.

What was Disney thinkin'???? I am a non-smoker, but have had familiy members who are smokers and I truly feel for all smokers, most especially for those who are trying so hard to follow the new "rules".

Maybe in time Disney will see the error in these decisions anad make some changes.
I agree I have no problem with smoke free rooms , but still would like to see a section of each resort that allows smoking on the balconies or outside the room on ground level. Also a pool smoking section and a foodcourt (outside section) that should be away from main entrance. With a few changes Disney could make it better for smokers and Nons!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #442
suzzzze
Earning My Ears

BWV DSA's

Staying at BWV in Jan. Anyone been there recently? Are there any ground floor rooms that are in sight of a DSA?

Thanks for any info

Sue
Old 10-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #443
lisalonglash
I have a thing for actors nobody else thinks are yummalicious

It sounds like the placement of resort DSAs is horrible - a trek for the smoking guest and an annoyance for the non-smoking guest! What about those guests who are with their children? What is one to do when grandma (who is a smoker) is babysitting the children one night so that we can go out for dinner - what happens when she wants to go have a smoke, but the children are asleep? She's not going to get out of the line of sight of the room, so what is she to do? Yes, of course she could just not have a smoke, but she's on vacation too - why should she have the choice taken away kwim?

What are the DSAs like at the Toy Story building in ASMo? That's where we're all staying next year.

Whoever planned the placement of the DSAs was obviously NOT a smoker, going by the previous posts in this thread!
Me and dh Ds#1(14yo) Ds#2(11yo)

September 2013 - Disney World w/FD (POFQ)
September 2009 - Disney World w/FD(ASMu)
October 2008 - Disney World (ASSp)
May 2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris (off-site in Paris)
lisalonglash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:48 AM   #444
GailT
I'm ba-ack!!!!
I'm so bad I'm good
Loves pea soup

Jellyrolls

Just curious, is therre now no smoking in there also? I have always wanted to go in but the smoke factor kept me away.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #445
krbq
DIS Veteran

Just back from a week at the GF. The smoking areas were maintained regularly, but there were a lot of smokers using them and the ash trays got pretty full. The DSA outside of Sago Key has 2 benches and 2 ashtrays under the trees, but the area gets wet during rainfall. The DSA outside of Conch Key has one bench and one ashtray and has no cover. The same is true for the DSA outside of Big Pine Key. The DSA by the Summerhouse is a large area with tables under umbrellas. The DSA outside of the main building by the Grand Floridian Cafe has a few large tables under the porch roof and is protected by the roof, but if you're staying in one of the lodge buildings it really isn't convenient. There is another DSA at the hotel entrance in the area where the valet parks guests' cars.

Nothing was said to us about the smoking policy at check-in, even though our reservation said "guaranteed smoking" (we made the reservation over a year ago). We weren't asked to sign any statement about the smoking policy and we didn't see any warnings about it. At the entrance to our building there's a sign that said "designated non-smoking floor", but that was the only posted indication we saw that smoking was prohibited. Another guest we talked to said he made his reservations about 2 weeks prior to coming and he had requested a smoking room, yet he said nothing was said to him about the smoking policy. DH said he talked to some other smokers using a DSA who were really angry about the new policy so he warned them about the fine. They were shocked because they hadn't heard anything about any penalties from any other source.

I didn't notice anyone smoking outside of the designated smoking areas at the resort. In the parks I only saw it 3 times and on 2 occasions the people had moved to isolated areas so that they weren't offending others.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:12 PM   #446
wall6363
Earning My Ears

krbq- Welcome Back, I hope you had a great time.
Thanks for the info on the GF DSA. I was waiting for your report.

We will be arriving at GF this Wed morning 10/31/07. It does sound like the DSA are not going to be that convienent, but hey I will on vacation and just have to live with it. Did you notice if there were any DSA near the bus stops or the one thats outside on the 3 floor in the main building?

What was your impression of the GF. This will be our first stay there. Any building suggestions. We have a GV booked, but I was going to see if I can pay to be upgraded to a MK view or lagoon View on arrival. When I booked I could only book GV because of Disney Reward Card Code.
What building were you in?? Did you find the resort easy to get around?

Thanks Again,

Wall
2004-POFQ
2005-POFQ
2006-POLY & DCL
10/31/07-11/06/07 Grand Floridian
wall6363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #447
krbq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall6363 View Post
krbq- Welcome Back, I hope you had a great time.
Thanks for the info on the GF DSA. I was waiting for your report.

We will be arriving at GF this Wed morning 10/31/07. It does sound like the DSA are not going to be that convienent, but hey I will on vacation and just have to live with it. Did you notice if there were any DSA near the bus stops or the one thats outside on the 3 floor in the main building?

What was your impression of the GF. This will be our first stay there. Any building suggestions. We have a GV booked, but I was going to see if I can pay to be upgraded to a MK view or lagoon View on arrival. When I booked I could only book GV because of Disney Reward Card Code.
What building were you in?? Did you find the resort easy to get around?

Thanks Again,

Wall
We stayed at Sago Key and the DSA there was pretty convenient. Big Pine Key looked to be close to the DSA at the Summerhouse, which was much larger and had some cover. The 3rd floor DSA in the main building is only accessible to the guests in the Royal Palm Club. There's a DSA close to the bus stop out front -- not right at the bus stop, but only a matter of yards away so it's close enough that you can wait there and not miss the bus.

The MK view is definitely worth the upgrade if the view is important to you and you'll be in your room by 8:45 pm (to watch the fireworks and Electrical Water Pageant). There's nothing at all wrong with the other views, though. It's a beautiful resort. It also seemed to be fully booked when we were there, so I don't know if you'll be able to get an upgrade, but it can't hurt to try. The GF is very easy to get around. If you're staying at Sago Key there's a shortcut to the bus stop that's not really well advertised -- just walk down the path between Gasparilla Grill and Sago Key and you'll find the walkway to the bus stop. It will save a lot of walking.

Have a wonderful trip and take some time to enjoy the breathtaking lobby and grounds of the GF!
Old 10-30-2007, 08:47 PM   #448
krbq
DIS Veteran

This is the DSA nearest the bus stop. It was taken at the end of the walkway that leads to the bus stop -- in other words, the bus stop was behind me when I took the photo (maybe 10 yards or so). The DSA is the 2 benches at the left of the photo and the trash can has an ashtray on top.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:49 PM   #449
krbq
DIS Veteran

As soon as I clicked "submit", I realized I should have posted that the above photo was at the entrance of the GF. Sorry!
Old 10-30-2007, 08:51 PM   #450
krbq
DIS Veteran

This is the DSA at the Summerhouse at the GF. It is between Big Pine Key and the beach. There were quite a few tables with umbrellas.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: